Click.. Click.. Uhm.. Why Aren't I Firing?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Legend_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

So I've spent the better part of the last week looking up computer mice to replace yet another expensive mouse that I thought was starting to die on me. Playing MW:O, since the last patch, I've been noticing multiple occasions where I've clicked to fire and nothing has happened.

I'd been thinking that this was my mouse because I've only noticed it happen on a left-click. Usually, I assign ballistics to a left-click and it's very noticeable when you click to fire an AC20 or Gauss but see nothing happening. I can't say how much this happened, if at all, to lasers or anything else assigned to left-click. I also can't confirm if this has happened to right-clicking.

Now, this said, I'd been thinking it was my mouse going but after speaking to a number of guys in my outfit, I've found out it's not just me it's happening to. What's more is that all of the guys that I've spoken to that are encountering this problem are based in Europe. Is this a lag/latency related thing perhaps?

#2 inquisitor

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Yep. This is why I eschew ballistics. leading is one thing, but leading with a firing delay of anywhere between 0.5 and 3 seconds is utterly impossible. I get the same with LRMs/Streaks, so I mostly stick with lasers.

Sadly, the lack of DHS 2.0 hurts on that score for anything more than my Jenner.

#3 Legend_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

I'm not talking about a firing delay, I'm talking about not firing at all after clicking.

#4 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

Perhaps it's the deal with that Left Click is by default assigned to fire a group selected with a cursor, not Group 1 specifically. So you might've fixed your weapon grouping, but forgot to return your cursor to Group 1 in order to fire it with Left Click.

This is mostly used to change you primary firing group for another group mid-fight when ammo is depleted, so you don't have to swap it each time or leave Left Click useless. If you see it inconvenient, you should change Key Bindings, so that Mouse 1 would fire Group 1, instead of the Selected Weapon Group.

Edited by DivineEvil, 04 December 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#5 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

It has happened to me, as well, and I even rebound my keys so that LMB fires group 1 always, RMB fires group 2 always. I have died a couple times now simply because my weapons refused to fire, despite being off cooldown. It isn't a common bug, but it occurs every now and then.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 04 December 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#6 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Yeah happens to me all the time with Gauss. I click it fires. I click again. Wait. Wait some more. Fires. Click again. Nothing happens.

I have my mouse set to fire groups 1 and 2 not the selected group.

I have also noticed AC5 rounds going through a hunchback with a friend spectating me also seeing it.

Edited by SixStringSamurai, 04 December 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#7 Tiger 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

I've only noticed the LB-10X fail to fire - AC 20 and gauss seem to have a 'variable' firing delay, but I've never noticed them fail to go off.

On a (possibly?) related theme - I built a streak armed HBK-4SP last night, with 2 med lasers on MB1, 2 on MB2, and the streaks on MB3. I was noticing that when I hit both MB`1 and MB2, the streaks would also fire a single shot (without being locked - something that shouldn't happen?).
(Yes, I did make sure that the streaks weren't on either MB1 or 2, and that I wasn't accidentally hitting MB3 in my excitement)

I use MB3 for some of my other builds, but never seen group 3 fire simultaneously before...

#8 IceFyre

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

Has happened to me quite a bit since the patch with my Catapult-C4. I'm a joystick pilot and it happens with both the stick trigger and mouse button. Have rebonded keys, doesn't matter.

#9 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Yeah sometimes you can fire streaks when they are half locked (crosshair is yellow) and they will fly straight out then once the crosshair turns red will turn and strike the target. I've also fired them this way and hit a moving target without it showing the red lock. I believe that to be a netcode issue.

Edited by SixStringSamurai, 04 December 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#10 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

The fire command has to go from your computer to the server, then back to your computer before it will actually fire. If you have a high ping, this will cause perceptible delays. If you average 35 ping like I do, it's not noticeable at all.

I have never experienced a will-not-fire situation except for the key rebinding issue with Mouse1 binding to Fire Selected Weapon Group. A couple of patches ago, when the client wouldn't quit until we manually shut down the thread in Task Manager, it would reset the bindings every time I played.

Having said that, if it's happening to you, make sure you report it through the Support E-mail. They may not know it's an issue.

Edited by PapaKilo, 04 December 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#11 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I usually have a ping in the low 30's and the firing delay is still noticeable for me. I've gotten into the habit of trying to keep lead on a target and just clicking away until the weapon fires. It needs to be fixed.

#12 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

I was using 2 UAC5s on my new Cataphract, and after a jam they never unjammed. The cooldown bar stayed red for the remainder of the match, both of my UACs remained unuseable. Has anyone else had this happen?

#13 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostchiXu, on 04 December 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

I'm not talking about a firing delay, I'm talking about not firing at all after clicking.

sounds like a software issue...im assuming u reseated the usb plug or whatever for your mouse..

i would start w/ a virus malware scan of yer comp and then update usb drivers for your motherboard
then mouse drivers if needed

#14 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 04 December 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

I was using 2 UAC5s on my new Cataphract, and after a jam they never unjammed. The cooldown bar stayed red for the remainder of the match, both of my UACs remained unuseable. Has anyone else had this happen?

start a new topic with that as an issue under support

#15 Conraire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTexas/Georgia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Depending on the mouse, it's most likely the mouse software interfering with the game. I know with my Reaper Edge, if I leave the customization program running, that buttons 4 and 5 won't work in game. Meaning the weapons assigned to group 3 and 4 won't fire till I close the program.

#16 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

i noticed this happening when using the alpha strike button.

#17 Haydon Jurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I randomly experience this. I assume it has to do with packet loss. As do most, this game likely utilizes UDP rather than TCP/IP, so if your packet gets lost, it isn't resent. UDP has less bandwidth overhead (shorter packet header, therefore packets contain more data), but doesn't guarantee delivery.

Even if it is using TCP/IP it can take a while before a lost packet gets resent. While waiting for a lost packet, the server will buffer up your other packets, awaiting the arrival of the lost one so they can all be processed in order. That can cause a significant delay in data processing.

Edited by Haydon Jurai, 05 December 2012 - 06:17 AM.

#18 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

and you wonder why streaks are so popular? its because of bugs like this.

#19 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Happened again today, but this time I lived long enough to look at it, long and hard. Seems like my gauss' reload failed to, well, reload. I had 10 rounds of ammo left, both guns perfectly intact, and it was stalled out at the max weapon cooldown position. I could fire my lasers fine, but my gauss were effectively jammed. They stayed that way until such time as I died.

#20 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

w-who what? Me? WHY THE HELL SHOULD I KNOW?!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users