Ecm Feedback

2028 replies to this topic

#21 parman01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Great! LRMs being now useless? Hell no! It's actually much more fun playing LRM boat, trying to find separated targets and get lock. I have already seen some great sneaking actions using ECM.

It is suprising how easily AS7-D-DC can sneak behind your back with ECM...one would say you'll see something as big as 5 story building even without radar.
So far great addition to gameplay.

#22 Major_Crash

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

ECM is overpowered since it completely disables missiles. Completely.

Also the gap between premades and pugs is made even more wide, since premades almost always will carry ECM. And evem more: if you know your premade carries ECM, you can load LRMs/Streaks and use them to the full potential. If you are pugging and do not carry ECM yourself, you are forced to adjust your build by removing missiles.

My 2c.

Edited by thalarg, 04 December 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#23 Knyght

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

ECM is pretty great. Not only is it relatively well balanced where it is, but it makes the game much more fun funs. And games should be fun.

Slight ponderance: TAG doesn't seem an effective counter. Counter ECM is a very effective coutner though. Counter ECM can be really psychologically damaging to those annoying trololo ECM mechs that think they can just storm in with a buddy or two and not be touched. Usually the sight of their ECM not working makes them turn tail and run in the opposite direction. All the better for me to hit their rear armour <3

Another ponderance: There seems to be a lot of it now. I don't know if it's going to stay that way or if in the longer term it sttles down a bit once people have tried them out (especially when we get collision back and there aren't so many lighties around). Personally I think 3 ECM mechs on a team is a bit silly. Not even a good thing for the team really. Two seems plenty enough if not too many already. Hopefully things will even out over time.

But yes, only played maybe 5 or 6 matches, but pretty damn impressed so far.

Edited by Knyght, 04 December 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#24 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

ECM seems a bit too effective IMO, I can understand its purpose and everything and I can definetly appreciate the slap to the face to all the streak cats out there. However its completely oblitterated the use of streaks, beagle active probes, etc. I have already swapped out any builds I had that had either as I've played with them in pugs, 8 man groups and they are just not effective with every team running around with a ECM. Its forcing you to extremely rely on one person to counter the ECM for you just so you can do anything which I don't like.

Edited by DemonicD3, 04 December 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#25 Hammer Hands

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Ru

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thus far my time in game has reached the following conclusions about the implementation fo ECM in the game;

LRMs and SSRMs have been severly hampered in overall effectivness by a good 80%.
BAP and Sensor extension is a complete waste of exp, credits, and time.
Every premade 8 man drop I went against has been running nothing but 4 Atlas w/ ECM, and a mix of Awesomes and lights to handle base caps.
The game has been turned into a point and shoot game where everyone engages at 200m and it becomes a massive cluster of fire and destruction.

ECM would be prefectly fine if the maps were not already ridiculously dark and extremely laiden with cover so that weapons with a 1km range were actually worth taking because you could snipe effectively.

As of now, it pushes the tactics from giant stompy robots engaging in long range and massive fire fights to Ninja bots trying to sneak up and kill eachother in knife fights.

My overall assessment right now is it is over-effective and this is coming from someone who loves piloting a Raven 3L.

#26 Fabian Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

ECM should not negate streak lockon at under 180m but increase lock time
Also the counter to ECM should be BAP as it'is in board game
Conclution ECM in curent state is OP

Edited by Wrede, 04 December 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#27 parman01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

View Postthalarg, on 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Not sure if trolling. How is it possible i still get top damage with LRM boat? Surely it's not because of those two backup lasers.
Truth is I played only pugs so far. Premades may be different experience.

#28 BigMooingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

LOVING ECM so far. I think we need more than a couple hours to determine if it's balanced or not, but the battlefield is chaotic now. There's one more factor to manage, which is awesome. I don't know what the effect on LRMs will be yet, but I'm happy to find out.

I hope there's more in store for ECM in the future. Some radar fuzz or HUD glitches would be really cool!

View PostThatguyoverthere, on 04 December 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Also: I noticed that while in Thermal Vision Mode, there seems to be rings expanding out from my mech's location across the ground (like ripples on the terrain), is this unique to ECM equipped mechs? It's pretty interesting.

I noticed that too, but I'm not sure if it was from me or from the Raven I was sneaking around with.

View PostThatguyoverthere, on 04 December 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

They're adding in the Long Tom?! That's awesome! So far, it seems that the more unique weapons add a little bit on entropy to the game, changing up tactics and providing more and more possible solutions to winning a game.

SAY WHAT!? LONG TOM?? Source, please! ;)

#29 Hammer Hands

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Ru

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postparman01, on 04 December 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Not sure if trolling. How is it possible i still get top damage with LRM boat? Surely it's not because of those two backup lasers.
Truth is I played only pugs so far. Premades may be different experience.

Premades are a completely different story.

#30 R 13

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Question: As of yesterday I would've been able to mount an ECM on a 'mech other than those listed. For those who previously built configs with an ECM on, say, a Centurion/YLW, did their's get pulled, or grandfathered in?

#31 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I removed the AMS from my commando and put in an ECM. It was fun to play.

#32 Radar Jammer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

The only problem I have is that every PUG does not always have an ECM, and the team that does makes the match very lopsided. If there was some form of balance for random PUG teams so that each side would be sure to have ECMs I think they would be fine.

#33 MuFasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 287 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I happen to be a fan of it. I will say it is the most influential ton and a half of equipment you can put on any mech. It FORCES teamwork and I love the new dimension of a light mech being able to sneak around on a map and actually being a scout.

I think in the next week or so it will be much maligned as being OP and too strong. As with every new function that is a counter to something people are used to working one way it will be nerd raged on endlessly. People will threaten to quit, demand a refund ect. But until we see how people figure out how to use it, and more importantly how to counter it, I say leave it alone. I had an absolute blast playing in matches with it so far you have to watch your hud symbols to decide to counter or disrupt you have to work WITH LRM's it was truly fun.

Like I said its the most influential ton and a half in MWO but it has been truly fun using it.

#34 30ft SMURF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

So I've only played one game, but 2 atlas and one raven took out an entire pug group with this ecm bs. Everyone complains about missiles and gauss rifles and they get nerfed... well, inc complaints about ECM... It isn't just a game changer, it eliminates the use of target lock and indirect fire... Sure... that is exactly what it was created for, but not being able to get a lock on a mech that is in LOS and requiring the uses of tag under 450 but outside 180m in order to get a target isn't just a game changer. It breaks missiles. I didn' see a single other enemy mech... unless they were all ravens and atlas and the only time I fired my lrms was w/out a lock and they didn't hit ****. Glad everyone thought this one out before droppin' it on us as usual, but as it stands game broken by patch as usual. Keep up the fantastic work.

#35 Acid Phreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,719 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNiedersachsen

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 04 December 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

I removed the AMS from my commando and put in an ECM. It was fun to play.

i have both fitted, there are srm boats in the battlefield ;)

#36 MuFasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 287 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

View Postthalarg, on 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Also the gap between premades and pugs is made even more wide, since premades almost always will carry ECM. And evem more: if you know your premade carries ECM, you can load LRMs/Streaks and use them to the full potential. If you are pugging and do not carry ECM yourself, you are forced to adjust your build by removing missiles.

My 2c.

Utterly untrue statement I have seen LRM's in every match I have played in and used by others not in my group. And dont forget your 8 man groups ie the majority of groups that are playing in an organized fashion, are dropping and playing only other 8 man groups what you're seeing in pugs is just small groups.

#37 LuckJaw

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationYellowknife, Canada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I think those who like ECM in his current state need to check things back...

First of all... Since that came out, how many LRM have you seen so far... Not much, they are almost useless now. Streak cat are gone, yes, but all Streak are gone, except on the commando who can run counter ECM. In is current state is too powerful .. At least have Tag able to keep the log on the target...

#38 Fabian Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

ECM is OP as it makes streak usless

#39 MuFasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 287 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostLuckJaw, on 04 December 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

I think those who like ECM in his current state need to check things back...

First of all... Since that came out, how many LRM have you seen so far... Not much, they are almost useless now. Streak cat are gone, yes, but all Streak are gone, except on the commando who can run counter ECM. In is current state is too powerful .. At least have Tag able to keep the log on the target...

Again I am still seeing multiple mechs with LRM's and they are functioning rather well.

#40 Painartist

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

ECM is very OP at the moment. I spent a few battles getting trapped in ECM triangulation. I think this makes Light mechs OP once again. The Streaks were there to cut some of the Light OP with the ECM now bringing it back full swing. I think it's a needed part of the game, but the Lights that are now OP with the ECM need a balance of power. Some one earlier mentioned Light mech's only having the capability to carry light weapons which is a great balance IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users