Ecm Implementation Defies Reality A Little

28 replies to this topic

#21 Quazil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

It is implemented per TT rules, Guardian ECM Suite, include the limited mechs that it can be mounted on which is consistent with MWO hard-point limitations.

#22 BritishJesus

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN, USA, Earth

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

An electronic countermeasure (ECM) is an electrical or electronic device designed to trick or deceive radar, sonar or other detection systems, like infrared (IR) or lasers. It may be used both offensively and defensively to deny targeting information to an enemy. The system may make many separate targets appear to the enemy, or make the real target appear to disappear or move about randomly. It is used effectively to protect aircraft from guided missiles. Most air forces use ECM to protect their aircraft from attack. It has also been deployed by military ships and recently on some advanced tanks to fool laser/IR guided missiles. It is frequently coupled with stealth advances so that the ECM systems have an easier job. Offensive ECM often takes the form of jamming. Defensive ECM includes using blip enhancement and jamming of missile terminal homers.

Real life ECM, from...
http://en.wikipedia...._countermeasure

Because I'm too lazy to pick out specific definitions that support my case, this is ECCM,
http://en.wikipedia....countermeasures

So according to both of these, ECM is working as it does in real life.

So in my opinion it's working as it should be. For the range issue, it all depends on the power of the transmissions. The more power that the transmission has, the longer the range and more effective the jamming is. It's just like regular radio.

Edited by BritishJesus, 05 December 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#23 Quazil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostNoodlesoup, on 05 December 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

i didn't notice that, but that makes no sense whatsoever lol, why would something putting out RF noise show up "hot" on thermals. lol.

It's not just radio-frequencies, it's broad-spectrum which would include IR.
The ECM system itself would also produce lots of genuine heat creating all the EMI.

Edited by Quazil, 05 December 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#24 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostTwoFaced, on 05 December 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

I would love to see the ecm light up on theremal, that would be awesome and it would be going with real aspects as in the energy on these systems would give off a lot of heat, just like convential systems, the air around them get got from the enery interatction with moisture.

And no, the physics do not work, 2 ecm on same team would negate each other and cause problems targeting thier enemy.

Gee I guise throws Stealth fighter must pic the guy to flips the switch to cover them from Radar and other detection devices in Combat. :)

#25 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostQuazil, on 05 December 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

It's not just radio-frequencies, it's broad-spectrum which would include IR.
The ECM system itself would also produce lots of genuine heat creating all the EMI.

That is true that one of the resin Tank ships and plane end up looking the way thy do to hide EMI as best thy can Heat is a killer in Combat and one that grate care is used in the dezine of such things.

#26 Noodlesoup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 260 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

i think they picked the 20-100 ton weight classes for ease-of-use reasons, it provides an easy to grasp scale and easy rounded numbers to deal with and compare. i.e. you can easily imagine in your head that a 50 ton mech is much smaller than a 100 ton mech, but a 90 ton mech is only marginally smaller than a 100 ton mech.

#27 Noodlesoup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 260 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostQuazil, on 05 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

It is implemented per TT rules, Guardian ECM Suite, include the limited mechs that it can be mounted on which is consistent with MWO hard-point limitations.

two points.

1. if we were really following TT rules then our mechs would have 50% of the armor they have today and Gauss Rifles wouldn't fit in the torsoes of a catapult and our double heatsinks would really be double heat sinks etc. blah blah blah you get my point, TT rules don't translate well into real time FPS simulations.

2. TT rules don't block visibility or sensing of the mech, just the ability to use narc/bap/artemis against units shielded by ECM. i.e. you don't remove your battlemechs from the TT and "stealth" move them around the table until they are within 180m of your opponent's mechs.

#28 Noodlesoup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 260 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostBritishJesus, on 05 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Real life ECM, from...
http://en.wikipedia...._countermeasure

Because I'm too lazy to pick out specific definitions that support my case, this is ECCM,
http://en.wikipedia....countermeasures

So according to both of these, ECM is working as it does in real life.

So in my opinion it's working as it should be. For the range issue, it all depends on the power of the transmissions. The more power that the transmission has, the longer the range and more effective the jamming is. It's just like regular radio.

you're not understanding the content of the articles you linked.

both of them reinforce my original point.

the ECM broadcasting unit needs to be within range and actively jamming the searching unit in order to "hide" his friendly units. not the other way around.

the ECCM unit needs to be affected by the ECM unit (within jamming range) and use methods to counter-act and "see through" the jamming signals.

#29 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostQuazil, on 05 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

TT construction rules do not limit chassis ECM may be mounted on.

So MWO's limitation on chassis is unique to the game, as are weapon hardpoints. Which might be ok, if ECM was balanced and had reasonable counters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users