#1 borisof007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

As stated by Bryan earlier this morning:

Combat Score
Target Date: No ETA
Notes: Combat Score compliments the new matchmaking system and will be used in scoreboards to rank players. This is an aggregate scoring system.

This makes me very happy. I've been wanting a scoreboard/ranking/ladder system for some time now. I cannot wait until this is introduced.

Furthermore, I hope that people get matched BASED on this score. That way suicide farmers can sit in a pool of other suicide farmers.

#2 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

View Postborisof007, on 06 December 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Furthermore, I hope that people get matched BASED on this score. That way suicide farmers can sit in a pool of other suicide farmers.

Well this means that the system will get every player to a about 50% win rate. If i play better and win, I get harder opponents until I win only 50%. If I play bad and lose, I get worse opponents and will still win 50%. No matter what i do, I will always end up winning the same amount of matches and win the same amount of C-bills.
Wheres the incentive to use a good (and expensive) mech, or even to try to win at all?

The solution would be to increase the amount of C-bills won with the Combat Score. The higher your combat score, the more C-bills you get.

Edited by Redoxin, 06 December 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#3 Taiji

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationUnder an unseen bridge.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostRedoxin, on 06 December 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

The higher your combat score, the more C-bills you get.

Nice idea.

Edited by Taiji, 06 December 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#4 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

And what happen to the teamkillers they get in with the new players. That is not a nice welcome.

#5 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

I would like a stat reset to go along with public stats. Actually i would like no public stats other than W/L. This is because having public stats would create the "stat whoring" like protecting various people's KDR (you know who you are).

#6 tenderloving

• Survivor
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Well this means that the system will get every player to a about 50% win rate. If i play better and win, I get harder opponents until I win only 50%. If I play bad and lose, I get worse opponents and will still win 50%. No matter what i do, I will always end up winning the same amount of matches and win the same amount of C-bills.
Wheres the incentive to use a good (and expensive) mech, or even to try to win at all?

The solution would be to increase the amount of C-bills won with the Combat Score. The higher your combat score, the more C-bills you get.

The incentive is that you know you are being matched with players of your skill level, and you are challenging yourself to face better opponents. The purpose of a balancing/ladder system like you described is to have competitive matches. If you consistently have higher than 50% win ratio, you are being put into unfair matches.

In order for you to win more than half the time, someone else is losing more than half the time. Unless you are the best player in the world, any system that returns results like that is unfair and idiotic.

#7 borisof007

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, California

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

View Posttenderloving, on 06 December 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

The incentive is that you know you are being matched with players of your skill level, and you are challenging yourself to face better opponents. The purpose of a balancing/ladder system like you described is to have competitive matches. If you consistently have higher than 50% win ratio, you are being put into unfair matches.

In order for you to win more than half the time, someone else is losing more than half the time. Unless you are the best player in the world, any system that returns results like that is unfair and idiotic.

Right on.

You should be striving for a win ratio above 50, but not be mad if you don't always hit it, after all, this is a team game any way you slice it.

A ranked solo queue system where only people who own their mechs can participate. I will patiently wait for this day to come.

#8 Jack Corvus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

If by rank they simply mean score, fun. But if by rank they also mean 'matchmake with players of similar rank', I'm not interested. I enjoy playing with and seeing people of all skill levels, not just people who are similar to me. This is a large team game after all, not a 1vs1 game like Starcraft. There is a lot of room for a player to be scored 'bad' and still be the one who helped claim victory by stalling an enemy capture, and so on.

#9 Inertiaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Also really looking forward to;

Unicorns
Notes: ******** unicorns that you can ride with lovely big lasers coming out of their faces.

and

Matchmaking Lobby
Notes: Play against other teams with your friends, fans of the hot new game "Warcraft III" will love this feature!

#10 aspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

I would say the incentive is you are playing a fun, competitive game for free...

Might not be a bad idea to boost the cash though!

#11 Hovertank

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

You're making a big assumption that the 'Combat Score' will be based on Win/Loss ratio. This would be the worst way to estimate skill for the very reason you've just outlined.

There are other reasons to not use W/L ratio that are also pretty obvious; Think about a mediocre player who has only been dropping with pre-mades, rolling over pug teams and has rarely played solo. Up until now this player could maintain an outlandish W/L ratio that isn't a true representation of their skill. The same thing goes for a good pug player who's been going up against pre-mades for the last couple of months. They could have an low W/L ratio that again isn't representative of their true skill level.

There are many other player metrics they could use to generate a Combat Score. Average XP per match, average damage per match, average kills per match, accuracy (Not even sure if this is measured.), base cap XP, base defence XP, scouting XP etc.

I really hope the devs created a formula using several of these metrics to determine the Combat Score. It will make the game more accessible to new players and appropriately challenging for vets.

Edited by Hovertank, 06 December 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#12 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Better matches.

#13 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostHovertank, on 06 December 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

You're making a big assumption that the 'Combat Score' will be based on Win/Loss ratio. This would be the worst way to estimate skill for the very reason you've quoted

There are many other player metrics they could use to generate a Combat Score. Average XP per match, average damage per match, average kills per match, accuracy (Not even sure if this is measured.), base cap XP, base defence XP, scouting XP etc.

I really hope the devs created a formula using several of these metrics to determine the Combat Score. It will make the game more accessible to new players and appropriately challenging for vets.

Win/Loss ratio is one of the better methods to rank players. It's the least gameable statistic, the only way to get a good win/loss ratio is too win often against whoever you're fighting against, and thus,play well. Damage per match can be misleading - you might just have taken the last enemy, cycled him and cut off every single piece of that mech. XP you might start to see people farming Spot XP.

But win/loss has a problem - once your score system starts working, it will tend to make people closer in win/loss score, as they will be more likely to be matched against equally strong enemies.

#14 Drenzul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Unfortunately, while it looks good on paper this is a bad idea.

It encourages players to bot/play afk while watching tv e.t.c. to deliberatly lose, to lower their combat score so when they are actually playing, they get into easier games.

This is extremely useful for them when they want to earn money, since then they can go in with their poor combat stats and farm teams of new players for a while till their combat stats rise, then more botting/semi-afk playing.

Its more fun playing with varied skill levels, because its another random element you have to take into account, I've been defeated by bad players because they did something so ******** that I just didn't expect them to do it, you've got to take more into account then. The more skilled a player, a lot of the time, the more predictable they are. The more skilled players actually force themselves to play randomly to counter-act that but it still limits the range of possibilities.

Also if the newer players only get to play against bad players, they won't learn as quickly. You learn by playing people better than yourself. Of course some will never learn but a lot will.

#15 Streeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostOriginalTibs, on 06 December 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Better matches.

So if I decide to suicide farm, Ill have an awesome mech and be able to win against noobs for ages until I get ranked up?

not liking the sound of that as far as anti suiciding goes :-/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users