Aegis' MWO Weapons Infographic

76 replies to this topic

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

That little pink bar seems too OP for me. :(

Maybe nerf the name a bit to something like "TrollTM". :P

#42 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

The LB-X actually stands for "Large Bore - Extended (Range)".

Apart from this, nice chart.

#43 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Assuming you couple it with Artemis to ensure better delivery of the weapons platform, the LRM20 is actually a rather powerful thing.

About the same power as the AC/20, about the range of the Gauss Rifle, yeah it is ammo dependent, but so are ballistics. And the weapon tracks over terrain (somewhat) and provides locking in order to help ensure accuracy. With a significant amount of less crits and tons, it might be no wonder why there IS an anti-missile system in this game.

#44 Crimson Dux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationLisbon, PT

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for this, man!

#45 Win44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCT, USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 13 May 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

Look at the numbers. Paul is an inertial weapon. Takes up all critical slots, produces 99 heat, and in and of himself does little damage while having no range. But he is a 99 ton weapon, making him unmechable but still drop ship deployable. The damage is indirect and created on impact from orbit in any scenario. He always comes down hard.

LoL thats a great weapon description for the "Paul Inouye"

#46 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 13 May 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

I'm with you there, I was just trying to make a point (which didn't work, obviously :lol: ). If I'm not playing games when I hit 50, I'd be ashamed of myself.

No worries there mate. I have 50 in the rear view mirror and it only gets better. One gets a bit fussier but the hardest thing to get use to is the amount of BS found on the interwebs. Exponential growth man, exponential.... lol :rolleyes:

#47 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostWin44, on 14 May 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

LoL thats a great weapon description for the "Paul Inouye"

Yeah, in other words it's a roundabout way of saying he's useless.

#48 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostKanatta Jing, on 13 May 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

Another reminder to upgrade my Centurions gun to the LBX-10. That's a steep range upgrade, in addition to the free ton and crit for the shotgun ammo.

I'd just buy the 9D...already should have it.

#49 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 14 May 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

The LB-X actually stands for "Large Bore - Extended (Range)".

Apart from this, nice chart.

Actually, "LB" stands for "Lubalin Ballistics", the company credited with the weapon's original development.

"X" usually denotes "experimental", though as the weapon name is usually written as "LB (number)-X", it could represent "a common variable for unknown or changing concepts in mathematics", with (number) being the maximum damage rating and "X" denoting the variable nature of damage actually delivered.

#50 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

OK, ok, let's chalk it up as a spelling error and keep the gravy train rolling. :rolleyes:

#51 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 14 May 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Actually, "LB" stands for "Lubalin Ballistics", the company credited with the weapon's original development.

"X" usually denotes "experimental", though as the weapon name is usually written as "LB (number)-X", it could represent "a common variable for unknown or changing concepts in mathematics", with (number) being the maximum damage rating and "X" denoting the variable nature of damage actually delivered.

Source? Both the Technical Readout 3050 and the novels' glossary state it otherwise...

#52 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

What could you have possibly been doing that's better to do than this?! :rolleyes:

#53 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostRedDragon, on 14 May 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Source? Both the Technical Readout 3050 and the novels' glossary state it otherwise...

TRO: 2750 entry for CHP-1N Champion (viewable here)
TRO: 3050U entry for CHP-1N Champion (viewable here)
The Dying Time, ch. 23, second paragraph describing a Champion (viewable here)

All refer to the Champion's weapon as a "Lubalin Ballistics 10-X autocannon" or "Lubalin LB 10-X autocannon".

Which specific novel's glossary states another meaning for the "LB"? :D

Also, there is an old post in the Solaris7.com discussion section that indicates that "some sources (IIRC MF-UK among Others) Use the "Large Bore" when the Canon appears to use "Lubalin Balllistics-Experimental" with the LB-X having gone the way of "Xerox" being a coliqualism for Copy Machines".

#54 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 14 May 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

TRO: 2750 entry for CHP-1N Champion (viewable here)
TRO: 3050U entry for CHP-1N Champion (viewable here)
The Dying Time, ch. 23, second paragraph describing a Champion (viewable here)

All refer to the Champion's weapon as a "Lubalin Ballistics 10-X autocannon" or "Lubalin LB 10-X autocannon".

Which specific novel's glossary states another meaning for the "LB"? :rolleyes:

Also, there is an old post in the Solaris7.com discussion section that indicates that "some sources (IIRC MF-UK among Others) Use the "Large Bore" when the Canon appears to use "Lubalin Balllistics-Experimental" with the LB-X having gone the way of "Xerox" being a coliqualism for Copy Machines".

Well, the sourcebooks you linked don't say that the acronym stands for Lubalin Ballistics. The way they write the name is the same every other manufacturer is named when referring to certain weapons (e.g. "Mydron Excel LB 10-X" in the description for the Hoplite - that doesn't mean the LB stands for Mydron, does it? :D). Most of the time it's even called a Lubalin Ballistics LB-10X, and that would be redundand if it would mean the same thing.
The novels' glossary (all of them, at least the German ones, the English ones I own don't have a glossary at all) cleary state that the acronym stands for "Large Bore - Extended" with the German translation "Großkaliber, erweiterte Reichweite". The very same definition is provided in the old Technical Readout 3052.

Edited by RedDragon, 15 May 2012 - 02:45 AM.

#55 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 14 May 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

Assuming you couple it with Artemis to ensure better delivery of the weapons platform, the LRM20 is actually a rather powerful thing.

About the same power as the AC/20, about the range of the Gauss Rifle, yeah it is ammo dependent, but so are ballistics. And the weapon tracks over terrain (somewhat) and provides locking in order to help ensure accuracy. With a significant amount of less crits and tons, it might be no wonder why there IS an anti-missile system in this game.

Yeah... why it is a LRM 20... it can potentially do 20 points of damage. But... the damage is not to a single location, but scattered across the mech. LRMs are great for softing up an opponent at range for bigger hitters to tear them up up close. SRMs are great for finding holes in armor. I think they might be doing some form of 'x number of missiles hit' mechanic (like in TT) because I recall a Dev saying not all missiles hit. There might be a chance that all hit, but it could be based off of dodging and what-not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did you ever see them mount a ER, Pulse, LBX, or Ultra weapon? Heck, I don't even recall seeing them mount a Gauss. Were they even options? I remember Paul always used standard weapons in the Mechlab video... just makes me wonder on those weapon avaibility at start. Take the Centurion with the LBX... well, we know that we have to grind to unlock the variant that has it, is that went we will actually have the LBX avaibile to us? Perhaps these might wbe weapons to unlock from mechs or buy with real money?

Edited by Pvt Dancer, 15 May 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#56 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

The first Ask The Devs lists all the gear they plan to have at launch, including Gauss, LBX, Ultra AC/5, and some of the internal components as well. These are the ones that are 'in' due to the timeline, and they quote "should" be in for launch.

View PostGarth Erlam, on 08 May 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

QUESTION: Can you give us a list of weapons and equipment you expect at launch? Or at least what you KNOW will make it as of today? -Sprouticus

ANSWER: The weapon list is every Inner Sphere weapon available in the time frame, and they should all be in for launch. The following is a list of the weapons and equipment available at the time.
Weapons
Ballistic:
AC/2, AC/5, AC/10, AC/20
LB 10-X AC
Ultra AC/5
Gauss Rifle
Machine Gun

Energy:
Flamer
Small Laser, Medium Laser, Large Laser
ER Large Laser
Small Pulse Laser, Medium Pulse Laser, Large Pulse Laser
PPC
ER PPC

Missile Weapons:
LRM 5, LRM 10, LRM 15, LRM 20
SRM 2, SRM 4, SRM 6
Streak SRM 2

Equipment:
Standard and Endo-Steel Internal Structures
Standard and XL Fusion Engines
Jump Jets
Standard and Double Heat Sinks
Standard and Ferro-Fibrous Armour
CASE

Obviously not all of this will be stock, and some things will be harder to get than others. The equipment list is everything that I can guarantee for launch, though we’re likely to also have most, if not all, of the following ready to go:

Artemis IV
Anti-Missile System
Active Probe
ECM Suite
Narc Beacon
TAG

Hope you guys enjoyed this, and we'll run another one of these soon!

#57 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 15 May 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

Well, the sourcebooks you linked don't say that the acronym stands for Lubalin Ballistics. The way they write the name is the same every other manufacturer is named when referring to certain weapons (e.g. "Mydron Excel LB 10-X" in the description for the Hoplite - that doesn't mean the LB stands for Mydron, does it? :D). Most of the time it's even called a Lubalin Ballistics LB-10X, and that would be redundand if it would mean the same thing.
The novels' glossary (all of them, at least the German ones, the English ones I own don't have a glossary at all) cleary state that the acronym stands for "Large Bore - Extended" with the German translation "Großkaliber, erweiterte Reichweite". The very same definition is provided in the old Technical Readout 3052.

English uses quite a few redundant phrases - "PIN number" and "ATM machine" being among the most common that I could think of offhand.

And, as implied by the post from the S7 forum, "LB-X" became a generic trademark synonymous with "BattleMech-scale shotgun-type AC" in much the same way that "Xerox" is used for photocopiers (including those not manufactured by the Xerox Corporation), "Kleenex" is used for facial tissues (including those not made by Kimberly-Clark Worldwide Inc.), "Band-Aid" is used for adhesive bandages (including those not manufactured by Johnson & Johnson), and "googling" is used for using an internet search engine (even when one does not use Google.com to execute said search).
As such, other companies (Mydron, Defiance, etc) could manufacture "BattleMech-scale shotgun-type ACs", and they would still be named by the Lubalin Ballistics designation (especially if fluff dictates that Lubalin itself was lost to the Succession Wars and couldn't sue for infringement :)).
So, using the Lubalin name before the LB-X designation would signify that the weapon in question is a Lubalin-manufactured LB-X type AC (the "genuine article", as it were ;)) as opposed to a Mydron-manufactured or Defiance-manufactured LB-X type AC.

As for why the German works use "Large Bore - Extended" rather than "Lubalin Ballistics - Experimental/Extended/whatever"... ??? :rolleyes:

#58 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

The point is: There is no official word on LB-X being an acronym for "Lubalin Ballistics". The way it's used is the same it is used for all other manufacturers. But there IS an offical word on the acronym standing for "Large Bore - Extended". It's right there in many publications. They may be German publications but official nonetheless. (Germany has a long tradition of supplying official Battletech-products that are only later or never published in English, the "Classic Battletech" novels series for example)

#59 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostPvt Dancer, on 15 May 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

Yeah... why it is a LRM 20... it can potentially do 20 points of damage. But... the damage is not to a single location, but scattered across the mech. LRMs are great for softing up an opponent at range for bigger hitters to tear them up up close. SRMs are great for finding holes in armor. I think they might be doing some form of 'x number of missiles hit' mechanic (like in TT) because I recall a Dev saying not all missiles hit. There might be a chance that all hit, but it could be based off of dodging and what-not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did you ever see them mount a ER, Pulse, LBX, or Ultra weapon? Heck, I don't even recall seeing them mount a Gauss. Were they even options? I remember Paul always used standard weapons in the Mechlab video... just makes me wonder on those weapon avaibility at start. Take the Centurion with the LBX... well, we know that we have to grind to unlock the variant that has it, is that went we will actually have the LBX avaibile to us? Perhaps these might wbe weapons to unlock from mechs or buy with real money?

A good point. LRM do high damage, but usually over wide areas. Definitely not as pin point as ballistics or lasers. I'll definitely be using Artemis IV whenever I can with missiles. On average it is stated to increase accuracy by 35%. So unless the number of missiles that hit is random and is ever more than 35%, A4FCS should pretty much ensure that at least all missiles get to target.

#60 JDH4mm3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

Seriously Aegis? how can we play CTF with that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users