How long have you been a Mechwarrior?

361 replies to this topic

Poll: How long have you been a Mechwarrior? (1318 member(s) have cast votes)

How long have you been playing Mechwarrior/Battletech?

1. 0-3 years (59 votes [4.48%])

Percentage of vote: 4.48%

2. 4-7 years (45 votes [3.41%])

Percentage of vote: 3.41%

3. 8-11 years (127 votes [9.64%])

Percentage of vote: 9.64%

4. 12-15 years (288 votes [21.85%])

Percentage of vote: 21.85%

5. 16-19 years (317 votes [24.05%])

Percentage of vote: 24.05%

6. 20+ years (482 votes [36.57%])

Percentage of vote: 36.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jager Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:52 AM

Not sure if there is a thread out there on this already or not but here we go. Just out of curiosity how long have you been playing either mechwarrior, battletech or both? Be honest I'm just curious about the current mercenary dynamics.

I'll start. My brothers got me into the TT game when I was 9 and I bought Mechwarrior for PC when it first hit the shelves. Been playing ever since that makes it about 27 years.

Cheers,

Edited by Jager Wolf, 14 May 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#2 Howling Mad Murdock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationPlanet Sian....but sometimes Essex, UK

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

I've also been playing Mechwarrior and Battletech since I was probably 11 or 12 from the Board game all the way to MW4:Mercs and loved it ever since. The politics, the story is fantastic but most of all I love... THE MECHS!

Edited by Howling Mad Murdock, 14 May 2012 - 06:34 AM.

#3 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

I got started when Mechwarrior 2 came out. I've played every single MW game since then (plus MechCommander). I've never played TT but I've read several Battletech books. All started about 17 years ago.

#4 Jager Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Wow, not alot of votes so far but 78% have been playing for more than 15 years. Gotta say I'm impressed and a litle relieve that there will be alot more true vets around besides myself.

I think i need to re-read the earlier books though, It's been a long time and some of the original lore has been forgotten.

#5 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

There is another thread out there on this subject, more or less, though I can't remember where it is and, though that other thread was made toward the end of last year or the beginning of this one, as quickly as this forum has grown in both members and posts, I don't see why this one isn't legitimate.

I picked up my first box-set of 2nd Edition in November 1984, read everything in one sitting, including McKinnon's Raiders: The Fox's Teeth, and I was hooked for life, moreso than any other game I've read since. In early-mid 1985 I started my own mercenary unit, which eventually became the Wolf Family Mercenary Units, currently in it's fourth iteration, known as Armageddon Unlimited. I began my online career in mid 1997 with the Northwind Highlanders, Eridani Light Horse, and Wolf's Dragoons, and then I began Armageddon Unlimited, which unit blew up with people very quickly, and we trained and fought between half-dozen and a full dozen leagues, some names of which I've now forgotten, and now we are here to kick *** and chew bubble gum... so far, we've still got some bubble gum.

#6 WraithTR1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

I think I've been playing for right around 20 years. Started with Battletech Crescent Hawks Inception on the Amiga 500. Shortly thereafter a buddy of mine picked up the Powerhits Battletech collection and we played that and started getting into TT. I've bought, read, and played a large majority of anything associated with Battletech I could get my hands on since.

#7 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

Been playing Mechwarrior games since 1995, starting with Mechwarrior 2 - the demo, in fact, with four mechs to choose from (Jenner IIC, Summoner, Timberwolf, Marauder IIC)
First was exposed to the franchise through the Battletech cartoon in 1994

Got into the card game in 1997, and started collecting Technical Readout books, Novels, and whatever else I could afford and get my hands on.

Finally got into the Tabletop game in the summer of 2005 when I found the Quickstart rules PDF for Battletech and found out about Megamek and Neveron.com.

Now, I'm a Catalyst Game Labs demo team member. I figured if I have to teach everyone that I play against from scratch, I might as well be getting perks out of it, too (Like being able to put "Marketing - Volunteer Field Promoter" on my resume. God knows I'm not going to be able to get any office experience at this rate.

Edited by ice trey, 14 May 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#8 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

I'm pretty a newcommer myself. Even though being from a MW 4 generation still means around 10 years. :rolleyes:

#9 Solarflux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationDeventer, Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:19 AM

Starting playing MW2 when I was still in primary school. Later switched to MW4. Haven't played anything mechbased since, but I'm very excited about MWO.

#10 Stalkerr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 404 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

It was 1993 and my one of my good friends was carrying around his copy of Warrior: En Garde. After he was done I borrowed his book, then went to the book store and bought out all their TROs. Nearly 20 years of TT and video games (I've played through all the Battletech/Mechwarrior games... including the ones in pods) later, I'm still loving the BT universe and can't wait to play in it again... some of my fondest memories are of MPBT :rolleyes:

Edited by Stalkerr, 14 May 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#11 SKBoyToy

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

I have been playing since mechwarrior 2 came out, and loved it ever since. Really enjoyed the strategy in mech commander and the battletech card game was fun for social. extremely looking forward to the new online game for the group game play.

#12 Tterrag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

I still remember piloting the madcat on sega like it was yesterday exploding countless times cursing but still enjoying it.

#13 Knusern

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

Started with the TT in -91

#14 RobinSage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Inner Sphere

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostJager Wolf, on 14 May 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

Not sure if there is a thread out there on this already or not but here we go. Just out of curiosity how long have you been playing either mechwarrior, battletech or both? Be honest I'm just curious about the current mercenary dynamics.

I'll start. My brothers got me into the TT game when I was 9 and I bought Mechwarrior for PC when it first hit the shelves. Been playing ever since that makes it about 27 years.

Cheers,

Played since the TT game also. 27 years here too. Owned every digital version made too.

#15 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

My first experience of MechWarrior was MW2 : Mercenaries in '96. I think I was 7 or 8 years old at the time and my brother had bought the game and he had to commentate what was said in the game from English to Finnish since I hadn't taken English classes yet as a 8 year old :lol: Best times were when I got to choose which route or mech we were gonna destroy first. I was the "co-pilot" :D. I think I got to play the game only after my brother finished it... 4-5 months down the line :rolleyes:

#16 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Lets see i started when i was 3...beat the MW3 campaign when i was 4....hmm bout 13 years :rolleyes: more then 75% of my life has had MW in it.

#17 nixit

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

im pretty sure i started when i think mechwarrior 3 came out and i have'nt stop playing it since

#18 Azmodon

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I started with DOS in 1989. So I believe that puts me at 23 years of Mech game play.

#19 Jager Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

I gotta say I'm very surprised so far. I was not expecting the majority to be 20+ year vet's. This game is really bring the old school fans out of the woodwork. I am really getting excited about playing now, it's like a twisted metal reunion.

Not knocking anybody who is new to the game, in fact it's fantastic to see that after nearly 30 years it is still bringing in loyal fans.

Cheers to everyone who has voted or responded I look forward to the days ahead.

Good hunting!

-Jager

#20 Crazybrave

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationArizona U S of A

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Since MW 3. Played it through so many times I can do it in my sleep. I'm running Win 7 and had to build a dual boot system and install XP on a seperate drive to get it to run though. Couldn't get it to work in Win 7.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users