#41 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Well, to me, the Muromets is all about being able to mount 3 BIG ballistic weapons at the same time. Other than that, all the other variants do better than the IM. For instance, if I want to boat AC5s, I use my 4X with 3 AC5s + 1 UAC5 + 2Mlas. That's even more AC5s and even more pain and fun. There's no need to use the IM for this purpose.

#42 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 11 December 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

The XLs is mainly why I say the CTF is a great sniper platform, not so much as a brawler.

Something I noticed with ALL the CTF chassis that I've purchased so far is that they seem to be very heavily armoured against attacks from the rear. Like they grew up showering in the Navy or something.
First thing I do is move some of that armour to the front of the torso.

Yup. The only one I really try (key word: try) to brawl in is the only one I don't put an XL in.

Sometimes, you end up brawling like it or not, and I do OK with the other Cataphracts running XL when this happens, but it is only due to sheer damage output - it's a gamble and not a safe one. You get focused, it's going to be a bad day :P

View PostPr8Dator, on 11 December 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Well, to me, the Muromets is all about being able to mount 3 BIG ballistic weapons at the same time. Other than that, all the other variants do better than the IM. For instance, if I want to boat AC5s, I use my 4X with 3 AC5s + 1 UAC5 + 2Mlas. That's even more AC5s and even more pain and fun. There's no need to use the IM for this purpose.

Well, yeah, but again 3x AC/5 + 1 Large Laser and Medium Lasers for extra punch / lights, it works.

Seems I would have to sacrifice too much on the IM to go with bigger guns. /shrug

#43 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 11 December 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Yup. The only one I really try (key word: try) to brawl in is the only one I don't put an XL in.

Sometimes, you end up brawling like it or not, and I do OK with the other Cataphracts running XL when this happens, but it is only due to sheer damage output - it's a gamble and not a safe one. You get focused, it's going to be a bad day :D

Well, yeah, but again 3x AC/5 + 1 Large Laser and Medium Lasers for extra punch / lights, it works.

Seems I would have to sacrifice too much on the IM to go with bigger guns. /shrug

Like 4 x AC5 + 2 X Mlas works on a 4X, right? In fact, you can mount 1 more AC5 on a 4X than the muromet can. :P This is why IM is such a tricky mech to find a good config. Nothing it can do cannot be better done on another variant and the only thing it does best (mounting 3 big ballistics) requires too much sacrifice resulting in subpar combat effectiveness. In the end of the day, it seems best only for its C-Bills boost... :(

On the issue of XL engine, I used to find XL engines too squishy in a brawl until I realize that if you are ganged up on, you are going to die even in a STD engine so why not have more firepower and kill em first or have more speed and not get shot that much? :) You are right that its a give and take thing and neither engine has an absolute advantage.

Edited by Pr8Dator, 11 December 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#44 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostPr8Dator, on 11 December 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Like 4 x AC5 + 2 X Mlas works on a 4X, right? In fact, you can mount 1 more AC5 on a 4X than the muromet can. :P This is why IM is such a tricky mech to find a good config. Nothing it can do cannot be better done on another variant and the only thing it does best (mounting 3 big ballistics) requires too much sacrifice resulting in subpar combat effectiveness. In the end of the day, it seems best only for its C-Bills boost... :)

My personal problem with the 4X is its poor performance. Even with a 255 engine and Speed Tweak you can't even match the stock speed of the other Cataphracts. Some people are ok with this but it drives me nuts. Otherwise it's a great weapons platform.

Edited by TruePoindexter, 11 December 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#45 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

280 std, 2x uac5 with 7t of ammo, 3 mlas, 14 dhs.

#46 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 11 December 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

My personal problem with the 4X is its poor performance. Even with a 255 engine and Speed Tweak you can't even match the stock speed of the other Cataphracts. Some people are ok with this but it drives me nuts. Otherwise it's a great weapons platform.

Yes, speed is a problem and thats a good consideration by the Dev for otherwise, everyone would just be using 4X. :P

View PostBudor, on 11 December 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Just for discussion sake but you can do that config on a 3D too right? Why IM? What sets the IM apart for you? (i may be wrong cos I dun own a 3D. I own the IM, 2X and 4X)

Edited by Pr8Dator, 11 December 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#47 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostBudor, on 11 December 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Hmmm.... sounds ok although the 3D can do the same thing and benefit from JJ.
CTF-IM 2 UAC5 3 ML
Spoiler

For comparison here is my personal 3D:
CTF-3D 2 UAC5 4 ML JJ
Spoiler

Edited by TruePoindexter, 11 December 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#48 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 11 December 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Hmmm.... sounds ok although the 3D can do the same thing and benefit from JJ.
CTF-IM 2 UAC5 3 ML
Spoiler

For comparison here is my personal 3D:
CTF-3D 2 UAC5 4 ML JJ
Spoiler

And this is the problem with the IM... nothing it can do cannot be done better on another variant apart from carrying 3 big ballistics. :P

#49 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostPr8Dator, on 11 December 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

And this is the problem with the IM... nothing it can do cannot be done better on another variant apart from carrying 3 big ballistics. :P

Basically yes. If you're looking to only carry two ballistics the 3D is better. If you only need one ballistic the 1X/2X are better. The IM makes for a nice middle ground between the 3D and the 4X. It keeps most of the mobility while gaining some ballistic firepower without going overboard.

#50 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 11 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Basically yes. If you're looking to only carry two ballistics the 3D is better. If you only need one ballistic the 1X/2X are better. The IM makes for a nice middle ground between the 3D and the 4X. It keeps most of the mobility while gaining some ballistic firepower without going overboard.

Thats why despite not be very effective, I keep my IM using 3 LBX and 2 Mlas hehehhe.... this makes playing this mech an unique experience apart from my other Cataphracts which I have setup as an AC boat (4X with 4 AC5 + 1 MPL + XL 255 engine) and a laser based skimisher (2X with 2 LPL + 2 SSRM + 1 UAC5 + XL 300 engine).

Edited by Pr8Dator, 11 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#51 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

xl280 64.8kph

3 Large Lasers

1 Gauss Rifle

3 Tons Gauss Ammo

4 External Double Heatsinks

C.A.S.E.

AMS + 1 Ton AMS Ammo

wep group 1 is LL in arm
wep group 2 is 2 LL in torsos
wep group 3 is GR

seldom overheats if you use it correctly.

#52 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Triple AC5 or UAC5 with some ML works well

Two with a pair of LL is also good

Stock is good, but some dont like the XL. Ive seen the AC10 switched for an LBX for an extra ton of ammo or to upgrade an AC5 to an Ultra.

Some have gone with PPCs and AC2s, but I'm meh about that.

I rarely see gausses or AC20s on them, but i've seen a dual AC2 + single AC20 work very well for another pilot.

#53 ackack47

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I just created this build and I absolutely love it.

Gauss, AC2/MedLas, MedLas, Gauss
5 tons gauss, 2 tons ac2, XL200 w/ only its 2 required additional HS, Endo Steel.

All armor maxed except legs at 35, which is still more than I usually play with.

So overall,

Dual gauss, ac2, 2x MedLas and XL200 to go 46.2 KPH w/o speed tweek. The 2 medium lasers make it go down to 0.98 heat from 1.4~ but their just for backup if I run out of ammo, which hasn't happened yet.

#54 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Endo
DHS
AMS
3 x UAC5
1 x Medium
2 x Small
Rest of spare tonnage is ammo

#55 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Being a BattleMech-Specific topic, I'm moving this thread over to the BattleMech Guides & stuff section. This is where the chassis- and variant-specific construction and training threads would best go ;)

#56 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I don't run one buy my buddy swears by his double AC 2 + 1 AC 20 combo. I believe it sports 4 med lasers as well. Slow, but it puts the smack down. Good for plinking at range, devastating at close range.

#57 Brink Contro

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I'm running 280XL, DHS, ES, 3x UAC5 with 7 tons ammo (I think) and 3x Mdpls. One of my favourite builds. can also go 3x mls instead of pulse and put 3 tons extra ammo. I rarely run out of ammo though. I'm really glad I didn't end up wasting C-bills on a 280XL for my cats as this bad boy came with one. Of course this mech cost actually money so I'm not sure if I really won on that ;)

#58 Main Man

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Dual gauss, 1 LL, 2 ML, 4 tons gauss ammo and an XL 280.

#59 TeKuS

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationСибирь :/

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Ultra ac5 X3 8t ammo
Med Lasers X3
DHS X 12
XL 280
Endo steel
or

Gaus X 2 5 t ammo
Med Lasers X 3
DHS X 11
XL 280
Endo steel
;)

#60 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:57 AM

I wish I discovered this topic earlier....

I required a decent C-Bills maker, as an Atlas driver I have problems with money so I purchased this mech but Im also having trouble with it...Tried the tripple UAC build, but had trouble with it as Im not really sure how to use them properly I guess.

Can anyone share some tips on how to properly engage targets with UACs and maybe some tactical tips on positioning, who to run with etc...
I gain that chainfire is a must due to jams, and also that larger mechs should be a proirity but thats about it...thanks in advance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users