106 replies to this topic

#81 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

I got it awhile ago and I'm using the usual 3 UAC/5 3 Medium Laser build with BAP and the Advanced Zoom and Sensor Range modules.

Having fun so far. I chain fire at distant targets but when it gets close I just slam all 3 UAC/5s with 3 Medium Lasers and hope the enemy dies before they all jam.

I usually just find the nearest D-DC Atlas and run with him for better or for worse :(

#82 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostKerenskyClone, on 13 December 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

Ok another question for all of you Iliya veterans...

Im thinking of loosing the XL engine and going for a weaker STD engine (after I equip Endo Steel)

Is it worth it? Specifically I mean this is supposed to be a moneymaker mech, yet I find that if I get destroyed my repair costs can run quite high.

Will my repair costs be lower if I equip a standard engine (and endosteel) ??

Your repair costs will definitely go down. As I mentioned, I dropped all the way to a STD 210, and my repair bills are LOW. My re-arm is higher than my repair costs, usually. Of course, you lose speed and you lose tonnage; you gain cbills and survivability. The trade-off is up to you, and really depends on your playstyle.

View PostVolts, on 13 December 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Get rid of the XL if you are going to be brawling imo. If you are tangling from outside brawl range, harrassing or sniping, XL is perfect for positioning and extraction.

^this. The XL gives you the tonnage for the sniping weapons, or the speed and punch of a harasser, and you have less danger of death from the enormous side torsos if you're constantly on the move or well back from the fray.

#83 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I didn't really get the Ilya for credit farming. Using a lot of ballistic weapons require the use of XL due to the weight requirements and the Ilya is perfect for my DakkaDakka fix (at least until the Hero Jagermech comes out!). The +30% c-bill bonus for me is to offset the repair costs of XL and all those expensive UAC/5s and the ammo so I can have fun without going negative. Based on my repairs so far (going to 75k and so on) I think even without premium you'd at least break even on a really bad loss so it's a 'safe' mech to buy and trick out seriously for main use.

If you want to farm, grab the Wang. That's what he's there for. Ilya is for peltering enemy mechs with many bullets. B)

Edited by Elizander, 13 December 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#84 Parnage Winters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

So I've been experimenting with all kinds of builds, AC5's, gauss platform, UAC5's, xl engine, non xl engines and today I finally figured out something I liked and works for me.

You see it all came to me this morning while hanging a clock in my bathroom, I slipped and hit my head and the idea for this build just came to me!

AC/20 (4 tons of ammo)
2x Large Laser
1x Medium Laser
Standard 260 Engine
Endo-steel and Double Heat Sink upgrades

43 point alpha allows for devastatingly strong accurate firepower potential. No one wants to take that much damage and they will take notice.

Twin Large lasers for poke from afar allowing you to deal with situations where you do not wish to close the distance.

The AC/20 and medium laser for an effective Close range kaboom that is just fun to use.

Downside: Heat can be a problem if you constantly alpha strike but I am still tweaking the build but so far I am rather enjoying it and I don't generally find myself overheated from over alpha unless I am in a bad situation to begin with.

The best part is that this build fixes the issue of ballistic arm convergences by simply not dealing with it(The alternative is twin LBX/10's) as I rather hate the amount of variable's you have to deal with for the majority of arm mounted ballistics.

Simple, effective, and fun.

#85 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

Not a bad build Parnage. Although Im surprised you didnt run into weight problems. Although now that I think about it the UAC5s are damn heavy.

Ok sold the XL engine put in Endo, put in a Std engine, Tripple UAC5 with 7 tons of ammo nicely spread out on legs and left torso with CASE. (I end up using most of it, it really is neccessary and if I had weight to spare I would add at least another ton) and thats it...

Its fun to play and the repair costs are very low. Makes for a nice change of pace from my RS Atlas, and the money is pourin in like crazy...

#86 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Dual Gauss, Dual Gauss, Dual Gauss on everything!!

#87 TeKuS

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationСибирь :/

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

View PostParan01ac, on 14 December 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

Dual Gauss, Dual Gauss, Dual Gauss on everything!!

+3ML XD

#88 Nagon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostParnage, on 14 December 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

So I've been experimenting with all kinds of builds, AC5's, gauss platform, UAC5's, xl engine, non xl engines and today I finally figured out something I liked and works for me.

You see it all came to me this morning while hanging a clock in my bathroom, I slipped and hit my head and the idea for this build just came to me!

AC/20 (4 tons of ammo)
2x Large Laser
1x Medium Laser
Standard 260 Engine

43 point alpha allows for devastatingly strong accurate firepower potential. No one wants to take that much damage and they will take notice.

Twin Large lasers for poke from afar allowing you to deal with situations where you do not wish to close the distance.

The AC/20 and medium laser for an effective Close range kaboom that is just fun to use.

Downside: Heat can be a problem if you constantly alpha strike but I am still tweaking the build but so far I am rather enjoying it and I don't generally find myself overheated from over alpha unless I am in a bad situation to begin with.

The best part is that this build fixes the issue of ballistic arm convergences by simply not dealing with it(The alternative is twin LBX/10's) as I rather hate the amount of variable's you have to deal with for the majority of arm mounted ballistics.

This is what i run on my 1x when not going all laser. Gonna try this one on the IM ;)

#89 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

My Ilya:

3 med lasers
2 LB-10X AC
18 heat sinks

Strengths: An absolutely devastaing close quarter combat mech, the ACs make armor simply disappear. At medium range, this mech can lay down a wall of lead and do damage to multiple mechs. Great for racking up assists. (There's a reason Shotguns are considered terrifying to face in close quarters.) Can easily kill an Atlas in a brawl, and still have ammo and armor left for the rest of the enemy team. (Have scored as high as 1 kill and 7 assists in a single match.) God help you if you meet this mech in a tunnel or cave where you can't maneuvre.

Lasers allow for additional damage, or combat capability once the ACs run out of ammo. A heat efficiency of 1.26 means that they can be fired fairly often without risking excessive overheating.

Retains the stock XL engine, relatively fast. Has almost full FF armor, and Standard structure for survivability.

Weaknesses: Retains the Stock XL engine, is at increased risk of destruction once armor/structure is breached
4 tons of ammo means increased risk of ammo explosion, and no CASE to mitigate it.

No Long range weaponry, maximum effective range is around 450 m.

#90 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostVanguard319, on 14 December 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

My Ilya:

3 med lasers
2 LB-10X AC
18 heat sinks

Strengths: An absolutely devastaing close quarter combat mech, the ACs make armor simply disappear. At medium range, this mech can lay down a wall of lead and do damage to multiple mechs. Great for racking up assists. (There's a reason Shotguns are considered terrifying to face in close quarters.) Can easily kill an Atlas in a brawl, and still have ammo and armor left for the rest of the enemy team. (Have scored as high as 1 kill and 7 assists in a single match.) God help you if you meet this mech in a tunnel or cave where you can't maneuvre.

Lasers allow for additional damage, or combat capability once the ACs run out of ammo. A heat efficiency of 1.26 means that they can be fired fairly often without risking excessive overheating.

Retains the stock XL engine, relatively fast. Has almost full FF armor, and Standard structure for survivability.

Weaknesses: Retains the Stock XL engine, is at increased risk of destruction once armor/structure is breached
4 tons of ammo means increased risk of ammo explosion, and no CASE to mitigate it.

No Long range weaponry, maximum effective range is around 450 m.

fwiw, I ran this on the ilya, but felt it was not fully utilising the mech. However, it was a lot of fun, so I switched the build to my 3D (which was dual uac5. I then switched the ilya to tri uac5, where it shines).

Dual LBX is a very effective build for sure, but on the 3D I get to maximise the advantage of the close in support with speed and jumps

3D = ES, 12 DHS (1.3 Heat eff), XL310 (77kph with speed tweak), dual lbx with 4 tons ammo (60 shots), 2 MPL, 416 armor and JJ.

#91 jazger

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Anyone try and have any luck with a 3 AC/10 build?

#92 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

View Postjazger, on 15 December 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Anyone try and have any luck with a 3 AC/10 build?

Something like this?

3 AC10
Spoiler

Too slow for my tastes. Looks like it would hit really hard though.

#93 jazger

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 15 December 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Something like this?

3 AC10

Too slow for my tastes. Looks like it would hit really hard though.

Nice, though w/ only 4 tons of ammo thats what 20 total shots (from all 3)? i tried putting one togeather..

Dropped the leg armor to 36 (total 384) Added a XL 250.

Endo-steel, Double heat sinks.

3 AC/10 w/ 5 tons of ammo
2 small lasers (just to have something if i live long enough to run out of ammo)

Speed- 57.8
Heat 1.14

Zero slots left.

haven't won anything yet, done ok dmg. but i'm still more a light/medium mech guy.. (check that.. just did one 2 kills, 5 assists with about close to 600 dmg. maybe its not so bad..
I'm also mulling dropping the small lasers for 1 more ton of ammo. that make it a total of 90 rounds.

Edited by jazger, 15 December 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#94 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

I've managed to stuff the following in mine:
  • XL 255
  • 400 pts of armor
  • endo-steel and 10 DHS
  • 3x UAC5 w/4tons ammo
  • 1 PPC
  • 2 mlasers
  • AMS w/1ton ammo
This build works best from mid range as a flanker. It has enough punch to make short work of lrm boats up close, however I recommend against brawling. Diverse enough to do well on all maps, even Alpine. Does requires good heat discipline with an occasional shutdown override.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 09 March 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#95 EchoMike

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Rigel III

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostParnage, on 14 December 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

AC/20 (4 tons of ammo)
2x Large Laser
1x Medium Laser
Standard 260 Engine

This build sounds most effective (for my playing style). Question: Do you experience most people gunning for your RT?

#96 Gunnisson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hero Lore reference incoming...

Posted Image

Y'know, 3 UACs, 3ML, Tons of Ammo™, Endo, DHS, all that good stuff. Can't go wrong with UACs. Until they go wrong. More dakka ;)

Edited by Gunnisson, 12 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#97 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I run dual gauss, 3 medium pulse lasers and the XL 280.

#98 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Your all wrong :D heheh jokes. I used to run the 3 uacs and 3 m lasers too.
I then changed it to a single gauss with 3 er L Lasers (or was it 2 cant remember) much better firepower at all ranges. I chainfire the lasers when heating up then switch back to firing all 3 when cool. Endo and DHS... Now im loving this build and use it to rack up cbills

#99 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

My favorite loadout so far:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e61ebbb9093ca92 -CTF-IM[UAC5 x2, PPC x2, 300XL, Endo, DHS x12]

#100 SnakeTheFox

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

This is what I use. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...746f91c5155d9f3

It's probably the only build I've ever thrown ferro fibrous on. There are builds out there that may hit a little harder or have more sustainable DPS, but a 40 point alpha combined with respectable speed (for a heavy), and with the enhanced survivability that a standard engine + ferro fibrous entails means that it's just as effective sniping as it is brawling at medium range.

I've taken massive amounts of damage and still made it back home using this, and I prefer it greatly over my previous gaussphract 4X build because it doesn't explode when someone looks at it wrong and the dual MLs give it the ability to spook off cocky lights.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users