Price List

55 replies to this topic

#1 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

Edit August 3, 2016. Updated after 7 months - lot of changes. Uploaded an update to the list. Cleaned up the original post.

PDF version of Price List --> http://homepage.usas...SDPriceList.pdf (You may need to clear your browser cache to update).

TL;DR – I keep this price list up to date so you can figure out your real U.S. dollar cash value of purchasable items.

I originally created this list for my own MC purchasing purposes. But I decided to add it to the community’s guides when I saw so much misinformation and generalization being posted as various MC only items were released. In particular I noticed that people would quote items as equaling the cost of the MC package they would have to buy, or I would notice people calculating an item’s cost based on the most expensive package rather than the one they actually bought or would buy. For example people would post some thing to the effect that an Atlas AS7-K cost $30.00. The problem with this statement is that it is both true and false. If a player purchases the minimum MC package to obtain the Atlas AS7-K he/she will indeed spend just about $30.00 on MC, but then their actual cost for the Atlas AS7-K is more like $25.25, with enough MC left over to also purchase a Commando COM-2D, a day of premium time and covert 1375 XP to GXP. On the other hand if a player had purchased MC in several small increments – the $6.95 package 5 times – yes he/she will spend over 30 real dollars on the Atlas AS7-K (and still have MC for the Commando and XP conversion). No one is going to plan to take the more expensive route, yet some will simply be in that situation because that’s how their money flowed. And people who still have Founder’s MC get even lower actual costs (46% savings on Atlas AS7-K). Thus, actual costs are relative to how much a person paid (or is going to pay) for their MC. The person planning to buy the Atlas AS7-K is likely going to save their pennies to get the 6500 MC package and the Atlas for $25.25, not $30.47.

This list is not here to convince players that MWO is affordable or that it is not affordable. I’ve put it here to reduce bias and generalization about item costs by giving players some hard numbers to work with, so that they can make a better informed decision when purchasing or not purchasing in-game items.

See the download link above for the list in PDF.

Edited by KitK, 03 August 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#2 ZelenKai

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Nice work! That chart does put things into perspective. I have some MC but I have hard time using it for anything other than an XP convert now and then. When you consider that mech costs $30 in real money, it doesn't seem worth it.

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

This looks good. Thanks for posting it. :P

#4 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostZelenKai, on 12 December 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Nice work! That chart does put things into perspective. I have some MC but I have hard time using it for anything other than an XP convert now and then. When you consider that mech costs $30 in real money, it doesn't seem worth it.

Yes, but...
The missing part of the picture (which I will have to add when I update this) is the package size. Most wouldn't by the $6.95 package 5 times to get the Atlas K or Muromets. One would buy the $29.95 package, dropping the price of the mech about $5 and leaving some MC for other things like XP conversion or a hula girl.

#5 ZelenKai

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostKitK, on 12 December 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Yes, but...
The missing part of the picture (which I will have to add when I update this) is the package size. Most wouldn't by the $6.95 package 5 times to get the Atlas K or Muromets. One would buy the $29.95 package, dropping the price of the mech about $5 and leaving some MC for other things like XP conversion or a hula girl.

Well, it'll still cost you over $20 for the Atlas K/Muromets even if you bought the $99 regular MC package. Lots of things you can do with $20, getting a virtual mech with it doesn't seem worth it.

Some things like Christmas decorations for $4... really? I can see it'd be fun for $1 but $4+ is really expensive for virtual items.

#6 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostZelenKai, on 12 December 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Well, it'll still cost you over $20 for the Atlas K/Muromets even if you bought the $99 regular MC package. Lots of things you can do with $20, getting a virtual mech with it doesn't seem worth it.

Some things like Christmas decorations for $4... really? I can see it'd be fun for $1 but $4+ is really expensive for virtual items.

Which is why I posted this, so players could weigh and compare more accurately. For sure some will still find things too pricey. Others will find things more attainable than they thought.

#7 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for posting this, I've been curious about the how much most things cost.
Disclaimer:
1. I haven't spent any real money on MWO
2. My primary game right now is a different Mech Warrior game though I am enjoying this one at the moment.
3. I have never spent money on a F2P game.

I see your point that $20 is a lot to spend on a mech, I do agree mostly due to the fact that you can relatively easily buy the mech with in game currency but there are some things to consider.
Many games these days cost $50-$60 at release and still go for about half that after a few months and the few subscriber games left charge about $15usd a month to play. If you only purchase a mech or two your total cost for MWO is still around the average you would pay for a game a month after release, or 2-3 months of a subscriber mmo. If your don't think MWO is that great, then don't pay, if you enjoy it or see content you really want and stay with it for a few months then it's not that expensive when compared to other games.
Again, I see your point but in my opinion......I'm going to keep an eye on how things develop and after things get closer to being out of beta if I'm still enjoying it I fully plan to lay down some real money for a hero mech and a few extra mech slots.

I was spectating after a death on game...the Christmas lights are cool, but I'm with you on that one $4? To each his own I guess.

#8 ZelenKai

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

The reason I paid for MC is because I enjoy the game and I don't mind paying a bit to play it. Game play is good, it's lots of fun and brings back memories of the old Mechwarrior and tabletop games.

But prices are inflated. For $50, you can buy 2-3 mechs which isn't much for $50 if you think about it.

#9 Jaynestown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for putting this together. I have been recommending to friends that they put down $15 up front, and buy 2-3 smaller mechs that they can run and customize. Based on the numbers you put up, I think that's still a reasonable suggestion. The $50 MC purchase seems to make the most sense to me, for those of us buying in bulk. Decent amount of money to work with, and it's still 240MC/$ compared to the $100 package, which is 250MC/$ (only marginally better unit value).

Those conversion rates for XP to GXP are not as bad as I thought they would be. Like $3 to unlock a module or two. I didn't see the module GXP prices on your list, but that can be inferred from the price to unlock basics.

#10 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Many thanks for the spreadsheet! I'd been looking for this sort of info for a while.

On a side note, I initially spent money on my first mech because in the mechbay it lists both MC and CB prices. But I though that meant I needed to pay both prices, didn't realize it was one or the other. So I ground out 3 mill Cbills in the trials, bought some MCs, then bought the mech I wanted. Boy did I feel dumb after I noticed I still had 3 mill CBs. It made tricking out my first mech a lot more fun though. :(

I think the bling and stuff is cool, but I'd rather they were given as incentive for buying MC packages. $4 for X-mas lights is a bit steep, but if they come with the $30 package I might do that instead of the buying the $15 package.

#11 Mr Steik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Novelty items need to be reduced in cost by a lot. Mechs should have a MC + C-Bill option so you can pay 50% in both currencies. That way making the real money cost lower.

Also please add other currencies for us lazy people not from the USA? xD

#12 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostJaynestown, on 13 December 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Those conversion rates for XP to GXP are not as bad as I thought they would be. Like $3 to unlock a module or two. I didn't see the module GXP prices on your list, but that can be inferred from the price to unlock basics.

I'll add that and a breakdown of each efficency next time I update the list. If I break all of that down it gives us something like 83 specific items we can purchase in the game already. MC conversion to unlock an efficency isn't as flashy as the Christmas lights, but it counts.
_
_

View PostMr Steik, on 13 December 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Also please add other currencies for us lazy people not from the USA? xD

umm,,,sorry, no. Maybe if exchange rates didn't change every minute. But here's a work around. Download the excel version. Find your rate 1$ US = X pounds. Type X into an empty cell. Copy the cell. Select all the money cells. Use the "Paste Special" function to paste the value with the multiplication option. And viola it should tell you how many pounds and pence will pour out of your pockets

#13 ZelenKai

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostJaynestown, on 13 December 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Well, I wouldn't pay any more for XP conversion because all that XP is what you have already earned through play. If they charged more for it, it would not make sense. It'd be like paying double. You spend your time to grind for XP, then pay cash to convert it.

#14 Skyscream Sapphire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostXenonCx, on 13 December 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

I think the bling and stuff is cool, but I'd rather they were given as incentive for buying MC packages. $4 for X-mas lights is a bit steep, but if they come with the $30 package I might do that instead of the buying the $15 package.

Damn, look at this guy. PGI should be hiring you to do their marketing!

They probably thought they were geniuses squeezing $4 of out of a small portion of players for fake Christmas lights. Then you come along and show them that they could have gotten $50, probably out of a much larger population who thought they were getting the lights for free (free!? Holy crap!) and justified by saying "well, I'll use that MC at some point anyway." And might have said the same thing in two months later to get the Valentine's heart camo scheme. And the Easter egg pastel camo scheme. And the St. Patrick's Day leprechaun bobble head. Etc. And all of a sudden they've spent a few hundred dollars on MC they were "probably going to use at some point" because they had to buy it while the special item was being given away :(

#15 Jiiri

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE BT, and I do like MWO.

I know, that most items are not necessary to play (like the Christmas items, patterns, etc.), and of course you can play for free, but I also point out, that this is just a beta: many things like 12 vs 12, balancing, other game modes etc. are not implemented yet, so when you spend money on MWO, you are paying for an unfinished prodect yet.

As I love BT, I am also willing to support MWO more than a normal game as I don't want MWO to die. I already spent about 50 Euro. But when you compare this to similar popular games you mostly pay once 50 Euros, and everything then is included and free.

I think the huuuge sum of ~684 $ (523 Euros) (based on costs if you buy 12.000 MC packages according to the spreadsheat above) for all Mech variants, enough Machbay slots to park them, and a nice camo pattern for every Mech plus all cockpit items (and not even premium time included !) is shocking.

I would prefer rather spending say 50-70 Euros once, and maybe like Apps in the Applestore sometimes a dollar for a new camo pattern etc., but that's it. I am neither poor nor stingy with spending a game or support something what I like, but 523 Euros is in no ralation for a computer game for me.

#16 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

I'd like again if I could.

I can see that you can grab a Hunchback HBK-4SP for the lowest package now with the holiday promo. B)

#17 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'll be updating this tonight or tomorrow morning. If anyone has enouigh MC to see what the MC cost for 360 days of Premium time is, posting it here would be appreciated. Or PM me if you'ld rather not let people know how much MC you have.

Thx

KK

#18 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

360 days is 24,000 MC.

#19 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 18 December 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

360 days is 24,000 MC.

Thanks very much, WVAnonymous, I'll get that added in to the list.

#20 KitK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Minor update removing holiday items and some corrections

Next update expected to come with the release of the Spider on January 15, if all is on schedule.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users