28 replies to this topic

#1 Sir

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Greetings pilots!
So i sort of fell in love with the CN9-AL - which is a bit wierd considering it may not be the best variant out there but what the heck :-)

So far i ran the following build:
Std 200 engine,
EndoSteel,
11 Heat Sinks (total of 19 then),
a LPLAS,
2 MLAS,
and 2 SSRM2 with 2T ammo and a case.

So i now upgraded to DHS, which means with 6 DHS inside i have around the same cooling but still 5 tons of free space... but what to do?
I am unsure between several options - which are:

1) Upgrade engine (to the max? But no XL! I dislike the repair costs!)
2) Toss the LPLAS, stick in 2 LLAS and 2 more DHS
3) A mixture of those two?

I have read that the LPLAS is looked down upon performance wise - i took it because i liked it mostly... whats your opinions on that.

So far i played him as short range skirmisher / support for heavy and assault mechs against lights. I love the playstyle, but now with 5 tons more... no clue what to do ;)

Thanks for any tips,

Salutations,
Sir

#2 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I've been messing around with my AL lately, and the build I've found I like the best is a little funky.

First, I upgrade to a STD 255. I load up 4 MPLAS, max armor. ES and DHS. I basically run this as a bigger, clunkier commando-style support/defender. Decent pinpoint, excellent againt lights, no ammo, no heat issues... it's pretty fun to run. It's very much a loadout where you wait until the vanguard is engaged, then run around plinking things and distracting their assaults. Not a lot of range, but those ECM commandos get mad when you can hit them and keep pretty close (around 90 KPH with tweak).

I'd say, if you wanna keep the loadout, upgrade the engine. Always worth it to have a couple kph if you have the free tons.

#3 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

My best word of advice on the CN9-AL? Don't. It can't carry a big enough engine to be a decent scout hunter, carries a good portion of its weapons in a very vulnerable place, and usually has huge heat problems because it runs 4 energy hardpoints. In the end, it just isn't ideal. I would go with a CN9-D or CN9-A instead.

I did grind it though, so I would recommend the biggest possible engine with mplas and ssrms. Fill with dhs and endo and voila. Insta scout hunter.

#4 Logi

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

i use 2 builds:
RA: Llas + Mlas
CT: 2 x Mlas
LT: 1 SRM6 + 1T ammo

RA:2 x Mlas
CT: 2 x Mlas
LT: 2 SRM6 + 2T ammo

both have standard engine, full (std) armor, Endo Steel
everything else packed with HS

the 1. option is sweet for long range brawls, or while you are closing in.
the 2. build packs a lot more punch in close range. i switch between them when i feel like it ;)

but a centu is a support mech, so i am acting like one. if i am solo-dropping, i always pick a PUG atlas to stick around with. if you run alone, you will die (not only with these builds^^ )

#5 torabayashi

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

My current build is:

Endo Steel
Double Heatsinks
Standard 250 Engine
3x Large Laser (2 RA, 1 CT)

The 250 engine gives you a respectable speed of 81 kph and gets you the full complement of internal heat sinks (which are 2.0 instead of 1.4). Three LLs give you decent range and alpha and with DHS you can keep firing for a while without overheating. Your best role with this build is as an outrider/flanker. I spend most of my matches harassing the enemy fire support from range and punishing any flankers that try to slip past. Once the brawl starts, keep to the edges and try to use your accuracy to take out the big weapons on whoever is damaged. Alpha isn't massive, but with a steady hand you can destroy components in two or three salvos. Play smart, don't get caught up in fights you can't win, and you'll consistently be in the top three at the end of the match. Being an all energy build this has the added bonus of being very cheap to run.

#6 Frank the Tank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I run a medium range CN9-AL.

Endo, 12 DHS, STD 200 and 320 STD armor
RA: PPC, LLAS
CT: 2 MLAS
RT: LRM10 + Atremis w/ 2 tons ammo

Just stay out of the brawl and you'll do fine. You can chain fire the PPC for a long time standing still, and the LLAS is great once enemies close range. Use the LRMs sparingly, the ammo is expensive and you don't have much, so make every shot count. Repair and Rearm isn't that expensive; I don't think I've every lost money even with a bad loss.

#7 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Love my CN9-AL. I've kept it very simple in the past with a loadout of 2 MLAS in the CT and 2 LLAS in the RA, 245 or 250 STD engine and stuffed with DHS. Easy to use, great results.

I've had some fun the past few nights changing the formula to surprisingly fantastic results. 2 MLAS in CT, MLAS and TAG in the RA, LRM15 and LRM5 in the LT, LRM ammo in the legs, and a BAP simply because I had some extra tonnage. Great stand off support mech. Ride the periphery of the battle flagging enemies with TAG and pelting them with LRMs. The 3 MLAS let you stay scrappy in a brawl while the Cent's speed and durability lets you get out of a situation to reposition.

Like Logi said, the Cent works best in a support role. Alone you won't last long, but you can add to a Lance's overall ability like few others.

#8 Puppeteerxerxes

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

This has actually been one of my favorite mechs. Mastered the Jenners first then went Centurion, and this variant took me into positive KD ratio (I know it's not the end all stat but I did get a lot more kills with it) I've only PUGed so far.
Endo steel
2MLP in the RA - I use this for engaging lights
AMS 1 ton ammo
2 SRM 6 2 tons Ammo
2 ML in CT
STD 225 Engine
Fill with DHS.
Has an alpha of 55. Go as support to your heavies, try to get into close quarters. In the open you are dead. Walk up to atlas rear torso and bang with the SRM 6. With some practice circle strafing lights are hittable as well. The body part cascade when you blast a commando is priceless. Can kill any overheated light.

My favorite is finding a mech running xl. 1 alpha to a rear side torso is lights out. Pick out target with stripped rear CT armor - don't even waste shot until you are hugging them then blast. I now run this and a CN9A (that has 3 SRM 6 and 2ML) Both are nasty surprises for big mechs that think you have a pushover medium.

The only mech I really feared are the new Catapult A1's with 6 x SRM6. Those fights you lose, damn near 180 torso turn...

#9 Sir

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Posttorabayashi, on 12 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

The 250 engine gives you a respectable speed of 81 kph and gets you the full complement of internal heat sinks (which are 2.0 instead of 1.4).

What do you mean by "these are 2.0 instead of 1.4"? Never heard of that..
Otherwise great tips all thanks..
Now tending towards engine upgrade and maybe i'll try a brawler spec with SRMs and MPLAS in the arm once ;)

#10 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Tora still thinks the engine sinks are 2.0.

They are 1.4 now.

It was a bug for one patch, and PGI fixed it.

All double heatsinks, both externals and engine sinks, are 1.4.

#11 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Also, CASE is a waste of tonnage, put the ammo in your head and legs, and if you're running more than 5 tons, put what's left over in your arms or CT.

Anyway, here is my AL build of choice, it works pretty well. Even more so with ECM in the game, raising the value of direct fire roles.

http://mwomercs.com/...ion-ppc-sniper/

#12 Squigles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

View PostVechs, on 12 December 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Tora still thinks the engine sinks are 2.0.

They are 1.4 now.

It was a bug for one patch, and PGI fixed it.

All double heatsinks, both externals and engine sinks, are 1.4.

http://mwomercs.com/...get-back-to-us/

I suggest you peruse this thread...not only are they not "fixed", they're also not a bug.

#13 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostSquigles, on 12 December 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...get-back-to-us/

I suggest you peruse this thread...not only are they not "fixed", they're also not a bug.

damn beat me to it, yeah, engine 2.0 working as intended

#14 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

My current AL build has STD 245 engine, DHS, Endo, 2xLL in arm for sniping, 2xML in CT for close combat and 2xSSRM2 for the extra punch. Works really smooth, at least I like it. Keep distance in the beginning to shred off some enemy armor, and keep moving when they come up close. It's not easy to overheat with this.

#15 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

I just ran a match with 4 ml, 2 lrm 15s. STD 200 engine.

Worked pretty well, over 650 damage. I had a good spotter with tag though, and they only had one ecm mech, so pretty sure it wouldn't be anywhere as effective in some other situations.

#16 M00N B34M

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

The AL is my fave Cent variant too.

STD 200 Engine
Full STD armor (-1 on each leg for OCD reasons)
DHS (I forget how many As many as I could fit...)

RA - LLS, MLS
RT - AMS, CASE, 1 ton AMS ammo, 2 tons SRM ammo
CT - 2x MLS
LT - 2x SRM6

Generally because I try to keep the RA in one piece, my RT tends to last longer than my SRM6 launchers. If it tends to die too quickly, put the ammo in the legs.

I tend to use the LLS as I'm moving in (Usually supporting an Assault Mech, or Heavy if none around) then unload everything at point blank until I'm gone or we've won/lost.

I tried the other two, but I'm hopeless with ACs...

#17 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

My CN9-AL "Longinus":

200 Std engine, 15 DHS, Endo-steel, max armour
2x Large laser (RA)
2x Medium laser (CT)
2x SSRM-2 + 2 tons ammo
AMS + 1 ton ammo

If there's ECM about, the large lasers are enough firepower to take out Commandos, Ravens, or Cicadas, and with them being arm-mounted there's little issue tracking targets. If there's no ECM about, add in the streaks for some extra hitting power.

The lasers combined can be fired for quite some time before having to back off due to heat, and make a dent in just about anything. If there's no ECM, an alpha of 38 is actually quite threatening to most 'mechs.

Best thing about it is all the kills I get after my arms get blown off... Sometimes I think most my kills are made arm-less :lol:

Worst thing about it is that I get too confident piloting it; to the point where I'm liable to take on an Atlas head-on... And promptly get my behind handed to me. So I kick myself for being stupid again and repeat my mantra "confident, cocky, lazy, dead". :ph34r:

#18 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Standard Engine 215
Endo-Steel Internal Structure
Double Heat Sinks (8)
336 Armor
AMS with 1 ton of ammo
2 Large Lasers (RA)
2 Medium Pulse Lasers (CT)

#19 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

CN9-AL "Sovereign"

200 STD
Endo
16 DHS
x2 PPC's
x2 Med lasers
AMS

Every slot is filled.

#20 nonplusultra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 241 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

CN9-AL is the best. The rest is sh****. ;-)

235 STD
Full Armor
Endo Steel
18 DHS
4x MedPulse
2x Streaks (1 ton Ammo)

Every Slot filled.

Edited by Chaser187, 13 December 2012 - 07:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users