If there was a BattleTech Movie, What Era?

72 replies to this topic

#21 Gaffhook

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 16 May 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

Clan Invasion. More or less a retelling of Blood of Kerensky. I think that, if done right, could be amazing.

This.

#22 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationYour Left Flank

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

I'm somewhat partial to the Ronin War.

Not as much set-up required (necessarily) as the Clan Invasion.
The conflict doesn't last terribly long so the story can be fit into movie-length without having to cut too many corners.
The re-emergence of Star League tech (among the Combine forces at least) could make for a plot point.

Would it make a good movie? I can't say.

#23 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

A trilogy.

Clan invasion to the formation of the Star League
Formation of the Star League to the Fedcom Civil War
Fedcom Civil War to Davion's victory.

Truth be told, each of THESE could be turned in to a trilogy...

Edited by Melissia, 16 May 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#24 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

I think I would rather start with the Warrior trilogy, if anything. I think the Inner Sphere needs a little more backstory to it before the true threat (or blessing) of the Clans can be appreciated.

#25 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Darkage?!.....

Posted Image

Then

Posted Image

#26 goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Blood of Kerensky combined with occasinally changing gears to show key events around the Fall of the Star Leauge, the Exodus, and the begining of the Succession Wars.

for the Star Leauge bits, have Kerensky himself sum up the events before the battle of Terra, (IE the Amaris coup and the civil war as a whole) and then Come back up to when he kicks open the doors of the capital with his orion's **** and vingar filled boot.

Edited by goon, 16 May 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#27 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

If it was going to be a big budget series, maybe one for every related series of books, say the warrior books or the blood of kerenskys

#28 StandardDeviation

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Movie1: Star League / Amaris / Exodus

Movie2: Succession Wars / Merc story

Movie3: Clan Invasion (tie movie 1+2 together)

ps. I like the "ProtoMech" from District 9. it even has a vee charging 'Mech scene. If they could that then, what can they do now ?

Edited by StandardDeviation, 16 May 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#29 Kresten Youngblood

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

For the love story we could always have Victor and his love played by the noble Victor (his first ride if i remember my story). Just think the climax of the story when he is punched in the mouth and carried off world and forced to leave his ride (love) behind.

#30 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

It would almost have to be a trilogy, just to give any of the big events in canon any sort of relevance.

At first thought, I would time the first move around the time Wolf's Dragoons reached the Inner Sphere, or perhaps around the time they started recruiting Inner Sphere pilots. There'd be a chance for some introduction to the IS and the major factions and history as they do their recon, and so long as the POV stays out of the upper echelons, the Clan connection doesn't have to be spoiled for anyone who doesn't know the secret. The Clans can invade roughly in the middle of the second movie with a lot of shock and awe. The 'reveal' can be at the end of the second movie, and the third climaxes with the battle of Tukayyid. If the movies do well, then there's plenty of material afterwards for more movies.

#31 Phelan P Kell

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostHeartoftheJaguar, on 16 May 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

The Clan invasion would have to have way too much backstory, like who the Clans are, where'd they come from, why'd they leave the Inner Sphere in the first place.

Ah you know movies they can compress the back story in a small intro or some sort of similar plot related review, something like showing me in the training unit learning history the kids answering the professors questions. Heck they could even do a star wars or an intro like in tau fire warrior.

Trust me you can push out a back story real fast and let the viewer learn from there.

Also, I think the Blood of Kerensky would be good but they would need to follow only two main chars. I vote for the lord who bangs the doctor lady and me. That way we can follow both sides once I get stolen.

#32 WraithTR1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

I think the Warrior Trilogy would be a good set of movies.

#33 AirCooled

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

[color=#222222]3049 is the way to go. The initial movie has to kick *** to guarantee the sequels! You spend the first 7 to 10 minutes going through the Star League, the Kerensky exodus, the rumors of mysterious battles with an unknown foe on the periphery planets. Fade to black and hear a broken up distress call saying something about incoming fire from a large ship landing in a remote area. Opening scene is of an overweight pilot in his light weight Owens eating a burger with crumbs all over his chest. Orders come over his comm to investigate the disturbance which really annoys him and he complains loudly but only after the transmission is over. Exterior scene of the Owens powering up, turning and heading off at speed. At the crest of a hill the Owens comes to stop as he realizes he is at the foot of a huge dropship. From the back of the Owens the camera slowly pans up to a full view of the dropship dwarfing the Owens. Flash to the face of the stunned pilot who hesitates for a few seconds but regains his composure and engages his comm system. Mustering all the macho he can, the pilot states, "This is the local police authority. State the nature of your business and the reason for your visit to this planet". For several seconds there is no response from the dropship which really angers the pilot so he adds, "NOW"! After a few moments delay you hear the groaning of metal and a close up of the dropship doors shows a widening crack as it slowly opens. As the loading ramp drops to the ground there's a loud thud and dust rises from the surface. The opening is pitch black inside but you begin to discern figures moving forward. The first to appear in the doorway is a large mech that we later find out is a Madcat followed by a Thor, a Loki and finally a Daishi. As they all come to a stop on the loading ramp we flash back to the frozen in place pilot of the Owens. He remains motionless as a bright light eclipses the screen. Switch to exterior view of the dropship on the right and the spot where the Owens was on the left. All four clan mechs are raining a hail of fire on the Owens. Firing stops, the smoke clears and in the silence you see there are few discernible parts left of the Owens. End scene one. [/color]

#34 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

'Tengo Kawana' timestamp='1337217965' post='249498']
I'm going to get a bad rep for this, but I honestly think Dark Age is a perfect starting point. Here's why:

NO

#35 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

While we would have to settle this whole unseen thing first, lets cover a story that we haven't explored in deep naritive before; the Marik Civil War. It has everything; politcal skullduggery that makes Game of Throwns look like C-Span, bloody brother vs brother fighting that will be a good widow into the future FedCom Civil War and personalities like the Bounty Hunter and the Wolf's Dragoons. From there, we can follow the Dragoons in the sequal, Wolves on the Boarder.

The War of 3039 would also make for a good movie sense it's simple (FedCom vs. Dracs) only talked about in one book (Heir of the Dragon) and can be followed up with the Blood of Kerensky.

#36 Ursus_Spiritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 292 posts
  • LocationDecrypting your Authentication codes.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostAirCooled, on 16 May 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

[color=#222222]3049 is the way to go. The initial movie has to kick *** to guarantee the sequels! You spend the first 7 to 10 minutes going through the Star League, the Kerensky exodus, the rumors of mysterious battles with an unknown foe on the periphery planets. Fade to black and hear a broken up distress call saying something about incoming fire from a large ship landing in a remote area. Opening scene is of an overweight pilot in his light weight Owens eating a burger with crumbs all over his chest. Orders come over his comm to investigate the disturbance which really annoys him and he complains loudly but only after the transmission is over. Exterior scene of the Owens powering up, turning and heading off at speed. At the crest of a hill the Owens comes to stop as he realizes he is at the foot of a huge dropship. From the back of the Owens the camera slowly pans up to a full view of the dropship dwarfing the Owens. Flash to the face of the stunned pilot who hesitates for a few seconds but regains his composure and engages his comm system. Mustering all the macho he can, the pilot states, "This is the local police authority. State the nature of your business and the reason for your visit to this planet". For several seconds there is no response from the dropship which really angers the pilot so he adds, "NOW"! After a few moments delay you hear the groaning of metal and a close up of the dropship doors shows a widening crack as it slowly opens. As the loading ramp drops to the ground there's a loud thud and dust rises from the surface. The opening is pitch black inside but you begin to discern figures moving forward. The first to appear in the doorway is a large mech that we later find out is a Madcat followed by a Thor, a Loki and finally a Daishi. As they all come to a stop on the loading ramp we flash back to the frozen in place pilot of the Owens. He remains motionless as a bright light eclipses the screen. Switch to exterior view of the dropship on the right and the spot where the Owens was on the left. All four clan mechs are raining a hail of fire on the Owens. Firing stops, the smoke clears and in the silence you see there are few discernible parts left of the Owens. End scene one. [/color]

Owens wasn't around during the invasion....

Post initial invasion design by the DCMS based on captured/won Clan Omni Mechs.

Edited by 8100d 5p4tt3r, 16 May 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#37 WolfSpider

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 16 May 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

While we would have to settle this whole unseen thing first, lets cover a story that we haven't explored in deep naritive before; the Marik Civil War. It has everything; politcal skullduggery that makes Game of Throwns look like C-Span, bloody brother vs brother fighting that will be a good widow into the future FedCom Civil War and personalities like the Bounty Hunter and the Wolf's Dragoons. From there, we can follow the Dragoons in the sequal, Wolves on the Boarder.

The War of 3039 would also make for a good movie sense it's simple (FedCom vs. Dracs) only talked about in one book (Heir of the Dragon) and can be followed up with the Blood of Kerensky.

Funny I have a script outline that goes along those lines! ;) if we could iron out the whole unseen business it would make a great movie

#38 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostAirCooled, on 16 May 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

3049 is the way to go. The initial movie has to kick *** to guarantee the sequels! You spend the first 7 to 10 minutes going through the Star League, the Kerensky exodus, the rumors of mysterious battles with an unknown foe on the periphery planets. Fade to black and hear a broken up distress call saying something about incoming fire from a large ship landing in a remote area. Opening scene is of an overweight pilot in his light weight Owens eating a burger with crumbs all over his chest. Orders come over his comm to investigate the disturbance which really annoys him and he complains loudly but only after the transmission is over. Exterior scene of the Owens powering up, turning and heading off at speed. At the crest of a hill the Owens comes to stop as he realizes he is at the foot of a huge dropship. From the back of the Owens the camera slowly pans up to a full view of the dropship dwarfing the Owens. Flash to the face of the stunned pilot who hesitates for a few seconds but regains his composure and engages his comm system. Mustering all the macho he can, the pilot states, "This is the local police authority. State the nature of your business and the reason for your visit to this planet". For several seconds there is no response from the dropship which really angers the pilot so he adds, "NOW"! After a few moments delay you hear the groaning of metal and a close up of the dropship doors shows a widening crack as it slowly opens. As the loading ramp drops to the ground there's a loud thud and dust rises from the surface. The opening is pitch black inside but you begin to discern figures moving forward. The first to appear in the doorway is a large mech that we later find out is a Madcat followed by a Thor, a Loki and finally a Daishi. As they all come to a stop on the loading ramp we flash back to the frozen in place pilot of the Owens. He remains motionless as a bright light eclipses the screen. Switch to exterior view of the dropship on the right and the spot where the Owens was on the left. All four clan mechs are raining a hail of fire on the Owens. Firing stops, the smoke clears and in the silence you see there are few discernible parts left of the Owens. End scene one.

Sounds like a great commercial if you shorten it. Change the Owens to a locust though, it is more likely in the periphery

#39 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I say pick a Battletech novel and write into a screenplay, between the start of the novels and the end of the Battletech novels. Not the Mechwarrior Dark Ages novels. It does not have to be live action either, animated would be great, especially japanese. Just don't let SyFy channel produce it.

#40 Malkenson

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Usual explanation / education as to just what a mech is, Inner Sphere, Succession Wars.

3028, just before the 4th Succession war...

Wolf's Dragoons service to House Kurita. The Grey Death Legions recovery of the Helm Memory Core. Wolf Dragon's battle's on Misery. Hanse Davion's marriage to Melissa Steiner on Terra, all the house leaders gathered in one place. Jamie Wolf confronting Takashi Kurita. At the end of the movie, that famous scene with Hanse.

"My dear,... I give you the Capellan Confederation!!!" And the wars continue...

Edited by Malkenson, 16 May 2012 - 07:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users