Ask The Devs 29!

276 replies to this topic

#21 DarkAlman

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

How much MC do we as a community have to buy before you have enough money to buy Harmony Gold outright and liquidate there assests?

#22 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

1) Are ammo costs near finalized levels? Are you (the Devs) okay with so many players opting for the free 75% reloads? I personally don't do this (as I consider it an exploit) but running a LRM boat means barely breaking even because of it.

2) What sort of balance are you seeing in the number of ECM-equipped mechs vs Trial mechs vs non-ECM customized mechs these days? It feels in PUG matches like there are about equal numbers of each of these categories, which seems less than ideal for gameplay balance since there are only four ECM capable variants - and in 8v8 it is even worse, where I've seen whole teams running nothing but ECM mechs. It feels like this is a far lower level of team balance and variation that we saw pre-ECM, which is a pity.

3) Is the planned front-end re-design going to include:

- Ability to change the order of mechs listed in the mechlab
- Ability to rename mechs
- Detailed info on weapons, components, etc (I believe this has been confirmed, but I figured I'd ask)

4) Have you considered re-doing the Heat Efficiency attribute on mech info pages & the mechlab to account for different weapon fire rates and the differing performance of in-engine and added DHS?

#23 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Q1: When should we expect to see environmental damage? eg. destroying buildings, lamp posts, tree's, etc and to what extent are your plans for this, how much can be interacted with/destroyed? Any chance of seeing important area's of terrain itself change due to weapons fire, the ledges of cauldera and so fourth?

Q2: Whats your plan's for critical hit's on systems like actuator's sensor's, life support etc? how much will be able to be hit and what should we expect to see happened when there damaged / destroyed?

#24 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have several questions that I would not mind receiving answers to:

1) Has there been any thoughts by you guys to help boost FF, to make it an upgrade, instead of a next step upgrade to ES? [color="#0f72da"]Ferro-Fibrous Revisioned[/color]

2) Has there been any thoughts on making NARC different from TAG? Maybe make it provide a non-LoS lock for a good duration (60s?) but allow PPCs to knock them off with the up coming PPC EMP effects and ECM?

3) Are 8man (4 and 12 also, once we get those map sizes) groups EVER going to be allowed to choose other 8man groups to fight against so that matches can be set up in advance, therefore the community can get involved in orchestrating tournaments/matches? This is most likely the number one way to build and engage the community right here!

4) Another question about MM, I know I saw a post about the thoughts of balancing the matches by tonnage, but was mentioned that ELO was going to be brought in for balancing. Was this statement in agreement that tonnage + some skill rating (ELO or otherwise) going to be used in the future for creation of random teams joining into the random queue of games? Will this also lead to the need of a lobby of some type for pre-game orginization before the match begins?

5) Has there been any talks about revamping the Pilot Skill tree to make it more choice oriented than the current system? Maybe make the current Pilot Skill account specific that apply to all the mechs that the play uses (basically MechWarrior experience) and have each chassis/variant have a group of their own. Then only allow X amount of EXP to be used in your Pilot tree and Mech tree or reuse the current Module system by slotted the EXP skills bought into each Mech/MechWarrior?

6) Are the screens inside each cockpit going to be customizable in the future? (Options > Screen Setup > Screen 1 = Ammo, Screen 2 = Heatsinks, Screen 3 = Damage Indicators, Screen 4 = ..., ...) Along with this, is there a way to disable the HUD now or in the future?

7) With the community still making a push for true DHS and PGI saying that this creates an imbalance in the heat system, is there any compromise in mind to at least make each DHS the same across inside/outside the engine?

8) With almost two weeks under us with ECM, has there been any talks about balancing the numbers of ECM? While I think this goes hand in hand with question 1, balancing NARC, TAG, ect, ECM directly could use some tweaks in the numbers of what exactly it does.

Thanks in advanced if any of my questions where picked among the several hundered going to be asked here.

Edited by Zyllos, 14 December 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#25 Nightcrept

• 1,050 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Question:

Can we please have a hero Atlas mech. I love my atlases and would love nothing more then a hero variant. If so can you guys bring it out sooner then later....Please.

#26 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Question 1 is about ECM)

How was it considered balanced to introduce a 1.5 ton 2 slot piece of equipment that does all of the following:

i) Counters Artemis
ii) Counters BAP
iii) Counters TAG bonuses and the whole system inside of 180m
iv) Counters NARC - a system which weighs more and requires real skill and teamwork to use
v) Counters other ECMs
vi) Destroys LRM locks
vii) Destroys SSRM locks
viii) Ruins information sharing via minimap
ix) Scrambles HUD display of enemies
x) relegates AMS to the dustbin
xi) Requires no exploding ammo
xii) Generates no heat
xiii) Costs less than a much less useful module by a factor of 15...
xiv) Doesn't use up a weapon hardpoint

Going by tonnage and critical space the ECM should be about as useful as a small laser plus a regular heatsink.

Question 2 is also about ECM balance)

In the patch notes you mentioned that ECM was internally tested and toned down before release. What the heck was it originally going to be if this is the toned down version?

Question 3)

Actually, just go look at question 1 again, seriously how is this supposed to be balanced?

#27 RockWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 125 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Q: Can we please have a custom matchmaking systems where we can make our own 16 people games? I don't care if I can't get XP or C-Bills. But if you guys are not ready for community warfare, we can actually make our own just like in MW4.

#28 Xervitus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

The game economy right now really doesn't reward players based on effort, typically I can double or triple someones damage or kills yet in the end the CBs we're taking home are almost the same. In fact, I probably make less a lot of the time as I use more ammo and take more damage than the cicada who stood on the hill all round shooting 2 medium lasers at things 400m away.

My question is this: would you consider making winning and losing a modifier instead of a flat CB reward. Increasing performance rewards significantly (kills, damage, spotting, etc.) and adding modifiers so a loss could give you a 40% of the baseline value and a win could give you 125% or whatever. I really feel like this will reward those who play hard and help stop people from AFking/suiciding.

Cheers,

Edit: or perhaps a hybrid of both, 50k win reward plus 125% of the increased performance rewards...this way new players wouldn't be punished as much.

Edited by Xervitus, 13 December 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#29 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

1) Now that gauss rifle crits are working as intended, are there plans to implement a method for powering down the gauss to prevent explosions? (Same with dumping ammo.)

2) When we sell a Mech in the MechLab we do not receive any c-bills for upgrades (DHS, endo, etc.) we have purchased while we are paid for custom weapons and equipment. Is this working as intended? If so, can you explain the reasoning?

#30 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Does the current build of MWO have processing overhead used to help debug issues that come up due to beta status? Diablo 3 performance went way up after launch when the Beta error checking code was removed, wondered in similar will at some point occur

#31 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Was the 8v8 succesful among players? Meaning can you give us any numbers? There were many dropships going on right after the release, but lately I can't find me a 8 man group. Any solutions in the mind?

#32 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I really want to see the weapon configurations and status of my teammates during a match. Will this ever be possible?

#33 Winterdyne

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Need more maps! Would you consider releasing a map editor to the public? Could then do community competitions to get high quality maps done for inclusion on the official servers. MC rewards or something.

#34 Vulture2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

same question for the 4th time now.. i think

Q: Do we get LB-X Slugs and if yes, when?

Edited by Vulture2k, 14 December 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#35 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

My question is about the Mech tree. Right now, Basic skills improve after you complete Basic for all three variants. Is there any plan to do this for Elite skills when you unlock Master?

#36 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Is there any plan for lobbies so we can actually socialize with our fellow mechwarriors?

Is there any plan for letting us drop fights vs friends/enemies in organized drops?

Is there any plans for an arena 1v1/2v2 etc mode?

#37 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

since you're not going by the order that the promo art was released, any word on the trebuchet? or the highlander?

i really couldn't care less about the other upcoming mechs, people will just end up cramming the same weapons into whatever type of hardpoint there is, but the highlander potentially adds jumpjets to the assault game, and ditto with trebuchets for mediums.

#38 Glowhollow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hello there !

Q: Relating to the 3rd Person View Discussion - is it planned to have a 3rd Person View, like in Mechcommander, for the "Commander" (inclusive the Line of Sight, etc...) (for example like the Artillery View in World of Tanks).

Q: Is it planned to add a 9th Person - only as Commander (without Mech) - in 8-man Drop ? (only available, if the Command-Console is built in).

Q: Maps - do we ever see the existing Maps - be part of a much much more bigger Map ?

Thats all for this time !

Edited by Glowhollow, 13 December 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#39 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well, it took me a few minutes to think of a question which I thought would not only contribute to the game greatly, but also that you guys would have a higher chance of answering (I hope), but here goes:

Q. Are there any plans to make a list of potential changes for the community to vote on, and then prioritize the ones with the greatest percentage of votes as things to do first? (eg: Which of these 3 additional pieces of content would you like included first: weapon x, module y, or functionality for feature z?)
I think it would help the community simultaneously feel more active in the improvement of the game, while also understanding why the development of the game is progressing the way it is.

*crosses fingers*

Also:

View PostGlowhollow, on 13 December 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

Hello there !

Q: Relating to the 3rd Person View Discussion - is it planned to have a 3rd Person View, like in Mechcommander, for the "Commander" (inclusive the Line of Sight, etc...) (for example like the Artillery View in World of Tanks).

Q: Is it planned to add a 9th Person - only as Commander (without Mech) - in 8-man Drop ? (only available, if the Command-Console is built in).

Thats all for this time !

In regards to this^

For the love of [insert your deity or deities here], STOP ASKING ABOUT 3RD PERSON. Seriously. They've already said it might get implemented, but they aren't sure yet. The answer will come when they've made a decision. Please be patient. Repeated questions about the subject won't make the answer come any faster, and tend to clog up the forums. (Sorry if I sound irritated, but if people can't get the fact that this is already in discussion after all the posts about it, they haven't been reading the right sections of the forums.)

For the 9th person thing, I doubt it, if only because I think the command console is supposed to be both a liability and an asset -- it's 3 tons, can only fit in the head, and would be required for many of the more advanced functions which might be implemented in the game. As such, it wouldn't be very nice if you couldn't disable those functions of the enemy team by taking out the mech which is currently commanding.

Edited by Spirit of the Wolf, 13 December 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#40 Bushwick Bill

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

When will you fix the match maker system since your lead designer admitted that synch drops were not intended, but not punishable so not illegal either? Phase 3 is vaporware. I also can only guess it was not intended for your match maker to drop two 4 man groups on one side vs 8 pugs or 4 man + pugs.

Sloppy coding is sloppy, the fix cannot be that difficult. Asking new, hopefully long term, customers to endure the lopsided match making fiasco until you get around to fixing it does not promote confidence or loyalty. I will play mechwarrior regardless, but it would be nice to have a growing player base.

Yes, I realize this is beta. I would bet the new people trying mechwarrior and having a miserable first experience could care less about the beta tag, good luck getting them back. A truly equitable match maker would give everyone a better gaming experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users