Do You Want Cap Race Warrior Online?

86 replies to this topic

Poll: Change in Capping ? (117 member(s) have cast votes)

Changes for Capping

1. The ECM forbids Capping Solution seems good (10 votes [8.55%])

Percentage of vote: 8.55%

2. Nah only a 7 Minutes Timer before Capping in Assault seems good. (12 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

3. ECM forbids capping AND 7 Minutes Timer in Assault Mode (5 votes [4.27%])

Percentage of vote: 4.27%

4. No leave it as it is. Speedcapping is leggit (90 votes [76.92%])

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Pygar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostCodejack, on 14 December 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

1) Some of us PUG and cannot count on having teammates that... move.
2) It is not supposed to take 3 heavies to kill a light!

1. PUGs....f-ing why? PUGs suck ***, L2 have friends!
2. Actually, it very frequently played out in TT much the same way it plays in MWO now...if light mechs kept their speed up, then they weren't really that easy to kill. In TT pretty much all mechs were better at mitigating damage than they were at handing it out, and if you wanted to drop the enemy with any speed and efficiency, focus fire was required. How the hell did we end up with so many "lone hero" types (See Also: Foreveralones) here in MWO?

Edited by Pygar, 14 December 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#62 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Sounds like exageration to me. I play hours every night and weekends and hardly ever see cap runs. And when the other team tries it it ends up a blood bath for them.

#63 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postyashmack, on 14 December 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

its part of the game mode
if your base is being capped you need someone to run back and stop it
all you have to do is get a light mech to run in circles in the box til your mediums and heavies get there

instead of complaining about your base being capped, you should do something about it and have someone head back to bsae
I have no sympathy for those that get capped in minutes, ive had it happen and every time it does its because no one went back to base to stop the cap
its simple stuff really

I all got out of this post was:
Instead of commenting on the beta so the finished product can be fun, you should just live with what we've got and then no new players will come and PGI can shut down the servers.

What we need is 1 base. Attack and defend game mode. The attackers lose if they don't win in the time limit. Defenders win if they don't lose base in the time limit. Of course eliminating the other team is going to be the most effective way to win, and that is the point. The game mode is designed to create fights, but there is still an objective.

Edited by Fate 6, 14 December 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#64 Falanin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 63 posts
  • LocationA Top-Secret Federal Party Facility.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

To all of you guys saying "L2P defense, n00b" Why would you defend? None of the bases are particularly defensible. Sure, if you're rocking 8v8 or a premade 4 you can wait and trust that your communication may outplay their superior position and possible better mechanical skill, but I DARE you to try that in a PUG.

View PostJman5, on 14 December 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but there are only one or two paths that base rushers always take. Scout them at the start of the game and then react if they are going to cap.

I PuG alone often, and even they can get consistently organized enough to spot and defend a base rush with very minimal communication at the start.

Here is my standard speech at the Start of Caustic Valley Lake Spawn:

Me: Hey guys, can someone scout 3 line (left)?
NubMcScrub: I'll do it. *(if no one volunteers, you go yourself)
Me: Ok, rest of us should head over to F5. I marked it on the map (B ).
*check map see if anyone went right. If no one goes right go yourself:
Me: everyone stay at F5 a moment, I'll scout right real quick.
*flank around mountain and see if they are pooling up by E5. If they aren't there, someone screwed up their scouting.

Congratulations you will spot the base rush 99% of the time.

You, sir, have the cat-herding skills of a GOD if you can make this work more than one time in five. I find PUGing to be an exercise in frustration.

View PostPygar, on 14 December 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Seriously, maybe we need to stop making threads about how things in game are OP, and start making threads about how totally fail most of the complainers here must be at playing this game.

Love the attitude, bro. As far as i've seen, this complaint isn't about how hard it is to WIN. If you actually read the thread, it's more about how capping and defending against caps isn't FUN.

Now, I'll admit, I suck. I can't get a PUG team to do **** to help, regardless of what I say; and I'm not an amazing shot. That doesn't make my complaints invalid. I put in a lot of time playing and considering my opinion, just like I hope you do. I pay money for the game, just like I hope you do. The difference between us is that I can respect the frustration of the n00b and the lone wolf. You are apparently above all that.

#65 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Well, considering I get to shoot at stuffs and get kills/assists almost every match, it must be the worst racing game I've ever played.

Wait for Conquest - it might play out more the way you want.

#66 Boatswain Higgs

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

This isn't Unreal Tournament or Planetside. Even a light 'mech is supposed to be something that can take an absurd amount of punishment and keep going - using 'deathmatch' as the objective is ignoring a lot of the potential of the franchise and of the engine.

If you're tired of being speed-capped, then start organizing your team to defend your base - it's really that simple.

I'd be happiest to see MOST games end with a cap. Strategic thinking - do we put everything we have on defending the base? Do we send an assault force out? If so, how large a force can we send without compromising the defense? - and information warfare (good scouts can give you the answers to those questions) SHOULD be key, and instead games remain slugfests where both sides charge, meet in the middle, and pound each other to scrap. Defense, communication, and coordination are all key, and should be more important than they're turning out to be.

#67 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostFalanin, on 14 December 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

The difference between us is that I can respect the frustration of the n00b and the lone wolf. You are apparently above all that.

The difference is that several years ago I discovered that online games were 10 times more fun and easy to learn by teaming up with people. So yeah, I am kinda above struggling to learn and play this game because anything that I didn't have figured out in the first day or two was quickly explained to me by other people in game.

I'm not a Dev, so I don't know for sure- but this game is probably not ever going to suit "lone wolf" players very well....it's contradictory to how the original game was conceived, and it's contradictory to how online games in general work.

#68 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostPygar, on 14 December 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

With backup from your team and focused fire light mechs die just like anything else. I am not just imagining this defense thing I keep talking about, I've done it...and it works.

then youre playing an entirely different game than I am. Whenever I shoot them they dont take any damage, even when theyre standing still.

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 14 December 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#69 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 December 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

then youre playing an entirely different game than I am. Whenever I shoot them they dont take any damage, even when theyre standing still.

Must be, because I can remember plenty of won matches from the last several days where the enemy lights all ended up dead just as sure as the enemy heavies did.

#70 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostPygar, on 14 December 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Must be, because I can remember plenty of won matches from the last several days where the enemy lights all ended up dead just as sure as the enemy heavies did.

Wish I had access to the game youre playing then

#71 Pygar

• Knight Errant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 December 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

Wish I had access to the game youre playing then

It's called Mechwarrior Online: Teamplay Edition.

#72 deadeye mcduck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationOutside the periphery

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Poll shows majority want capping as it is. no surprise there.

#73 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 December 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

countered by another old proverb
No plan lasts, once the enemy is involved.

Better quote is Mike Tyson "Everyone has a plan, 'til they get punched in the mouth!"
This comes up all the time, people whine there is no fighting just capping, yet in order to cap they need to get to your base. If you cover your base you get both the fight you want and prevent a speed cap. If no one else wants to defend, that's a player problem not a game mode problem. ;)

#74 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

You could always scout out the enemy, find them, then go try to kill them. If a team completely misses another team the problem most definately isn't ECM.

#75 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

speed capping is a pain, but only because actual game mechanics promote them this much. if ecm would be reworked, the netcode issue addressed and some other annoying things then i think that speedcapping online will vanish and we get our stompy mech game back.

#76 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostPygar, on 14 December 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

It's called Mechwarrior Online: Teamplay Edition.

wow didnt know joining a team fixed the netcode O.o well damn Ill try that then

View Postdeadeye mcduck, on 14 December 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Poll shows majority want capping as it is. no surprise there.

like I said... you ask a poll wether something thats op should be removed (IE the ecm thread) and get a result that ppl would rather keep the op thing and think that proves something other than that ppl dont want op stuff taken away...

#77 RumRunner151

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 697 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I understand the frustration, but you need to bug the Devs for a game mode where capping is not a win condition. Team Deathmatch would be supported by me and you could play that only if you chose to.

#78 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 14 December 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

wow didnt know joining a team fixed the netcode O.o well damn Ill try that then

like I said... you ask a poll wether something thats op should be removed (IE the ecm thread) and get a result that ppl would rather keep the op thing and think that proves something other than that ppl dont want op stuff taken away...

Wow look what happens when a poll doesn't agree with you. Woot blame the voters. ;)

#79 Iwaslost

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 14 December 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

Wow look what happens when a poll doesn't agree with you. Woot blame the voters. ;)

Look how he worded the poll. Biased poll is biased.

#80 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Your poll choices are crap. Its like a trick question

A simple 'yes' or 'no' is what you should have.

If your "no" vote at the bottom was an indicator that its a trick poll... I dont know what is.

Remove everything in that poll choice other than "no" and you would have the real answer to the poll question.

NO, I do not want cap race online.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users