Stalker: Do We Need Another Missle Boat?

120 replies to this topic

#41 SiorAlpin Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 255 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

it would be an interesting game if the weapons we could chose from were just Lasers and Ballistics, ditch the missiles and rockets, and allow the real skill of pilots to dictate how the battles are won and fought.

Replace the Lrm boats with artillery mechs, you could even introduce EMP shells to shut down enemy mechs for a short period of time, still using the same tactics ie, scouting and laser designated targets and ecm etc.

#42 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostSiorAlpin Wolf, on 14 December 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

it would be an interesting game if the weapons we could chose from were just Lasers and Ballistics, ditch the missiles and rockets, and allow the real skill of pilots to dictate how the battles are won and fought.

Replace the Lrm boats with artillery mechs, you could even introduce EMP shells to shut down enemy mechs for a short period of time, still using the same tactics ie, scouting and laser designated targets and ecm etc.

Wait a minute, I'm confused. Are missiles useless because of ECM or are they no skill n00b weapons? If ECM makes them useless than someone using them effectively is obviously skilled.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

If you are Lyran, you should go for Thunderhawk, Fafnir or Hauptman. i know they are later Assault mechs.. and they are Assault mechs I respect.

My personal favourite, if it is a mech to meet the time line is the Pillager, varient PLG-1N

Thunder hawk comes first, and that I do want. make those GaussCat QQ have a coronary on 3 Gauss! Fafnir Is just a wet dream. Wet dream in red as it will smear the Opposition all over the map!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 14 December 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#44 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:37 AM

Just wait until the Mad Cat comes out.

#45 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:39 AM

As appealing as the Stalker sounds their coolness factor is greatly diminished by the current ECM meta game.

#46 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 14 December 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

Just wait until the Mad Cat comes out.

I want a Stone Rhino. The Omnis die in droves at the barrels of death that monster wields!

#47 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

And please give us what we want..

Oh thanks. I'll have a Stone Rhino :P

#48 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostHaxburch, on 14 December 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

Its a new Mech and we need MECHS alot , because the game gets old fast without content , mechs , maps , modes ....

Missels are not the I win button anymore , in fact missel boats need tag , narc and support mechs to be the killers of the last days .

no just any mechs, they got heaps and heaps in the Technical readout, we want mechs that stands out, like the Thunderhawk. 3x Gauss in the Primary Variant, Hollander, Men Shen (Stealth armor Omnis with MASC ), Mech with unique abillities, like Ti Ts'ang with tripple strength Myomer, some can be cheap, and etc.

View PostWolfways, on 14 December 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Oh thanks. I'll have a Stone Rhino :P

I will have an Omega thanks, 155 tons, 3x gauss and 2 x LBX 10s

#49 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

But the Stalker doesn't have to be a missile boat. In fact the stock design isn't a missile boat at all. It's pretty well rounded I think.
My design I plan on making doesn't even have LRMs on it

#50 nom de guerre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

Just you try piloting this mech when you got ECM mechs on the other team.. you are dead... if the enemy mech reaches you if you are not swamp by the heat already.

I'll be running a stalker as a high alpha srm6 boat not worried about ecm at all.

#51 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostMurphy7, on 14 December 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

He'll of a concept, but stop mapping everything to weapon group 1 and you might, MIGHT, just live.

Heat management isn't about repeated alpha strikes.

The Stalker is the kind of mech that carries different weapon groups for different engagement ranges, and can manage the heat for one group at a time.

A nice shot lined up between 180 and 270 meters might lead to some parboiling of the pilot, but that is working as intended.

I think the Stalker will be all sorts of fun, but also likely to suffer from over large CT hit box syndrome.

Unless you are a rook, every mech pilot know repeated Alphas can shut down a mech from over heating, like an Awesome, you will be suicidal to fire all 3 ERPPPcs continuously, however a true master designer also knows with proper heat management, repeated alphas is possible, and I have done it with my mech, simplest solution is to mount balistic weapons... with low ratios of lasers. My hope the clan Ultra AC20s come out next year, that will utterly transform my Cat.. if it becomes available.

What I am saying is, this mech in Sarna says it can be a heat boat, especially the STK-5S variant. Different weapons for different range. Ideally yes, but in practise, when you have four mech jumping on you.. you are firing what you have, weapons
that don't fire... and in the heat of battle.. and desperation.. not ideally.

Edited by William Conrad, 14 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#52 Applecrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

I'm looking forward to the laser hardpoints mounted about as high as they can get. The Stalker will make a primo laser sniper if it can poke just a bit above the ridge like that.

#53 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

View Postnom de guerre, on 14 December 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

I'll be running a stalker as a high alpha srm6 boat not worried about ecm at all.

Doesn't ECM affect SRM6s as well? Unless you aim it manually? I hope the MRMs comes out one day, then I will get missle boats, or Thunderbolts..

#54 nom de guerre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

srm6s are dumbfire only

#55 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

I will have an Omega thanks, 155 tons, 3x gauss and 2 x LBX 10s

No, you wont. Period.

#56 MiG77

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationThird tree from the left

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

6 SRM6 and 4 MedPulse... even fully armored Atlasses are almost one shotted thru CT with that setup...

#57 pied

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

To answer the question. Yes. We need all the mechs.

#58 nom de guerre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostMiG77, on 14 December 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

6 SRM6 and 4 MedPulse... even fully armored Atlasses are almost one shotted thru CT with that setup...

yep, thats what i'm looking at running.

#59 SpiralRazor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 04:08 AM, said:

December is around and I was giddy up for the Highlander.. something exciting and then BAM! A Stalker... STALKER!

We already got the Catapult making its name as a missle boat, and then the Trenchbucket soon.. and then this???

We got Medium, heavy and now Assault Missle Boat? And with ECM running rampant in team games.. it is crazy to get this mech.

I am sorely..well.. I was hoping for a Highlander.. there is already too many missle boat out there to ruin a fun team match.

At least an Assault mech which can mount two balistic points in both Torso and one in the arms.

A Davastator or Mauler would be fun, even an Annihilator or new Atlas variant.. which meet the criteria above.

And please give us what we want... otherwise there will be moaning about the fun being less balance and etc.

Stalker.. pity it is not a Banshee.. <sigh>

You must either be slow or very, very new. The stalker was announced months and months ago....and if you looked up the Sarna.net entry, you could see it was Missile oriented in most configurations.

And if you think missiles "boats"*(canon) are ruining team matches, you must be the absolute worst player in MWO.

View PostWilliam Conrad, on 14 December 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Doesn't ECM affect SRM6s as well? Unless you aim it manually? I hope the MRMs comes out one day, then I will get missle boats, or Thunderbolts..

Quoted for proof that you have no idea what youre talking about.

#60 William Warriors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 14 December 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

No, you wont. Period.

Yeah you are right.. ;)) slow as a turtle.. a few light mechs will just turn it upside down, however, if the Battletech rules allow the inclusion of TWO fusion engine, XL class in it one day, with two 400XL engines, say one hundred tons of pod space... and I am talking about a two hundred ton Super heavy battlemech.. i could fit in says seven clan gauss rifles or ultra AC 20s.. and some medium laters.. it can make an Atlas pilot sweat..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users