Obvious Fail Is Fail

49 replies to this topic

#21 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostThinkTank, on 14 December 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Flamers are not flamethrowers- that would mean there is a heat source at the end of the barrel that ignites a flammable liquid or gas. If that were the case you shouldn't overheat your own mech. Flamers vent plasma from the reactor and spew it upon your target, either mechs or trees or infantry or whatever. If you have superheated plasma being ducted throughout your Mech, it's gonna get hot. Multiply that by 7 and you get cooked in your own juices.

Useful? Not at the moment, but it is being looked at.

So basically, flamers are directed engine-fart throwers ?

#22 Nayru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

The instant you start using one your heat immediately jumps to a particularly high level.

So one click could accomplish jack all and put you at around 15-25% heat. With just one flamer, of course, multiple would bring you critically high in an instant.

Needs a total rework, really.

#23 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Flamer raises your heat by 0.6 and the enemies by 0.2, you should have guessed you were going to fail before trying it.

#24 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

View PostHotthedd, on 14 December 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Perhaps your techs mistakenly installed them backwards?

Damn interns.

#25 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Flamers were absolutely horrid in early early closed beta, you'd have players boating them and stun locking you while their butt buddies killed you, which is why they got nerfed to the ground. Devs are supposedly going to fix them, but honestly, I rather not even have them in the game, otherwise you'd have people going around hunting players in trial mechs, who already overheat enough as it is.

#26 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

An assault class flamer-boat?? Hope they killed you. What a waste.....

#27 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

View Postcdlord, on 14 December 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

An assault class flamer-boat?? Hope they killed you. What a waste.....

It was psychological warfare. They couldn't comprehend why they were seeing an Awesome flamer-boat. I actually didn't end up dying, despite numerous overheats. :P

#28 Ronin13m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 136 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostDevilJade, on 14 December 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

It was psychological warfare. They couldn't comprehend why they were seeing an Awesome flamer-boat. I actually didn't end up dying, despite numerous overheats. :P

This had to be due to the fact they where laughing so hard at your build they just left you alone.

#29 Draxtier

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

The Battletech TT game includes extensive rules for infantry and mech vs. infantry combat. Squads of infantry can take down mechs pretty well, if the mech can't deal with them. Flamers, and for that matter, machine guns, are extremely effective against infantry, while larger weapons, like PPCs and autocannons are incredibly ineffective against infantry.

Machine guns and flamers weren't meant to be good against mechs. They're not anti-mech weapons. They're anti-infantry weapons. But since MWO doesn't have infantry, the weapons get changed to give them a role.

#30 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostDevilJade, on 14 December 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

So just out of curiosity, I put SEVEN flamers on my Awesome, and 40 heatstinks. I proceeded to unload all my flamers on several enemies and guess what?
I OVERHEATED BEFORE THEY DID. THEY ARE ON THE RECEIVING END OF GIANT FLAMETHROWERS AND I OVERHEAT AND THEY DON'T.
OMMGGGGGGG!!!!
So just exactly HOW does this make any sense? (excluding the fact that 7 flamers is obviously not supposed to be viable). How can I overheat with 40 heatsinks and the enemy doesn't.

Don't worry, you aren't a complete failure if you learned something.

The first thing you should have learned iyou are not going to be able to permanently 'stun-lock' a mech with flamers. They are a form of crowd control, but their effectiveness is limited. You need to find a mech that shutdown due to overheating; using your flamers on that target will prevent them from cooling down and firing their weapons while you finish them off. (think of it as “disarm” rather than “stun”).

Speaking of which, you also learned that Flamers are low damage and need to be backed up by more effective weapons systems. 1 or 2 flamers backed up by lasers will allow you to nullify and kill energy based mechs, because they cannot bring their whole arsenal to bear without over heating.

Finally you learned that Flamers don’t noticeably heat up enemy mechs, they tend to prevent cooldown. So they are very effective against Energy boats, but less effective against (most) ballistic mechs.

#31 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostRonin13m, on 14 December 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

This had to be due to the fact they where laughing so hard at your build they just left you alone.

This is very possible, I was laughing quite a bit as well.

#32 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostCorpsecandle, on 14 December 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

...if you already knew about this fact, why in the hell would you test something that you know is broken?

Because there's a lot of troll DNA in his makeup...I dunno...*shrugs*

#33 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

What we need here is a fire truck mech to follow the flamer mech and spray cooling water on it while it flames its target... :P

#34 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Flamers have generated more heat in the Attacker Mech than the Victim Mech ever since they were introduced into BattleTech.

Flamers, in MW:O are meant to cause another Mech to lost thier ability to cool down betwen shots so a team of lesser Mechs can gang-up on and defeat a larger, heat-sensitive opponent. Basically, you torch him until he fires too often and overheats himself. The Flamers will not cause the Overheat, they can only make your opponent highly susceptible to overheating themselves with their own weapons' fire.

And, yeah, they are "being worked on."

Edited by Prosperity Park, 14 December 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#35 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

So just out of curiosity, I put SEVEN flamers on my Awesome, and 40 heatstinks. I proceeded to unload all my flamers on several enemies and guess what?

I OVERHEATED BEFORE THEY DID. THEY ARE ON THE RECEIVING END OF GIANT FLAMETHROWERS AND I OVERHEAT AND THEY DON'T.

OMMGGGGGGG!!!!

So just exactly HOW does this make any sense? (excluding the fact that 7 flamers is obviously not supposed to be viable). How can I overheat with 40 heatsinks and the enemy doesn't.

flamers 3 heat 2 damage heat... of course you over heated first!!!!

#36 Child3k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostHobo Dan, on 14 December 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

What we need here is a fire truck mech to follow the flamer mech and spray cooling water on it while it flames its target... :P

Brilliant idea. PGI absolutely has to include water cannons into the game - we could have different kinds like a WC20 and stuff. It would create a completely new support role on the Battlefield ... the one who stays behind the lines and cools all the energy boats down. Plus with direkt hits you could push lights over ... that would be fun.

#37 MasterZ

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

ya its already been said, but flamers are a waste of hardpoints, dont use them

#38 Ronin13m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 136 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 14 December 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Don't worry, you aren't a complete failure if you learned something.

The first thing you should have learned iyou are not going to be able to permanently 'stun-lock' a mech with flamers. They are a form of crowd control, but their effectiveness is limited. You need to find a mech that shutdown due to overheating; using your flamers on that target will prevent them from cooling down and firing their weapons while you finish them off. (think of it as “disarm” rather than “stun”).

Speaking of which, you also learned that Flamers are low damage and need to be backed up by more effective weapons systems. 1 or 2 flamers backed up by lasers will allow you to nullify and kill energy based mechs, because they cannot bring their whole arsenal to bear without over heating.

Finally you learned that Flamers don’t noticeably heat up enemy mechs, they tend to prevent cooldown. So they are very effective against Energy boats, but less effective against (most) ballistic mechs.

Sorry but I have actualy piloted an energy boat my Hunchback 4P and latly had some one try to double flame me on caustic and it still cooled down. I actualy could not tell a diference in when the flamers where fireing or not fireing. Might have been the 18 double heatsinks I was running. I acutaly have seen the flamer useful on assults that are running SRMs and highcaliber AC's as the wieght and critical slots these take up tend to limit the amount of cooling that mech can hold.

Fighting in the volcano is worse then any flamer fireing at your mech.

#39 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

OMMGGGGGGG!!!!

Posted Image

#40 ThinkTank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 14 December 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

So basically, flamers are directed engine-fart throwers ?

Yes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users