Obvious Fail Is Fail

49 replies to this topic

#41 SpiralRazor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostStickjock, on 14 December 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Weapon Balancing <- Paul said in one of his posts there...

They're working on them even now... think from the beginning they've not been effective at all so hopefully they'll get to the point where they are a viable weapon... just have to wait and be patient...

Mmmm....no, in the beginning they WERE effective sir. I know, cause i was playing at the time... the multiple flamer builds punished Energy builds, but those of us who built correctly pretty much were able to ignore them nearly completely.

They were nerfed because of a vocal minority.... The only thing that needed to change was the damage they did...the heat they imparted was completely fine. It was the only form of "CC" in the game, and it wasnt even that since it only worked on one target at a time.

TLDR: Flamers should do heat damage only, but it should be quite noticeable and have diminishing returns based on the amount of flamers you are shooting at once.

#42 wolf74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

History of mwo flamer.
in late closed Flamers were everywhere due to the fact they did 0.3 heat to you per heat cycle and 0.2 heat to your target. But you almost never over heated. So 9flamer hunchie w/400 engine ruled the game. So they boosted the heat to your self to 0.6 this only slow the use very little. So they added a line of code that doubles the heat to self by 2x every 5sec or so of continuous use. This was very effective at dropping the use of the "Flameback" hunchie.

Edited by wolf74, 14 December 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#43 GatorG

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

They may be useless, but they are a great deal of fun. I ran with a 4 man a few weeks ago, all of us with 1 flamer, 3 hunchies and a cat, and a bunch of ACs. The fights in the frozen city tunnel were some of the funniest things I have seen. That first guy come around the corner, gets 4 flamers to the face, can't see anything and then the ACs go to work. # mediums and a Heavy, chasing Assaults out of the tunnel.

#44 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

In closed beta there was a time when they were the "OMG TOO GOOD NERF OP" flavor and the nerf hit. To be fully honest they were super not fun. I hope they find an effective compromise or just take them out.

#45 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

i bet you its a bug, like flamer heat to enemy doesn't stack or something. you should run 9 on hbk-4p makes nice roast raven.

#46 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostDevilJade, on 14 December 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

So just exactly HOW does this make any sense? (excluding the fact that 7 flamers is obviously not supposed to be viable). How can I overheat with 40 heatsinks and the enemy doesn't.

Well, per TT rules the Flamer inflicted 2 heat on the enemy and generated 3 heat in your own 'mech... so it's kinda inefficient for purely overheating people, unless they're already running hot.

#47 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I think you ment to title your thread "working as intended".

#48 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostDevilJade, on 14 December 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

So just out of curiosity, I put SEVEN flamers on my Awesome, and 40 heatstinks. I proceeded to unload all my flamers on several enemies and guess what?

I OVERHEATED BEFORE THEY DID. THEY ARE ON THE RECEIVING END OF GIANT FLAMETHROWERS AND I OVERHEAT AND THEY DON'T.

OMMGGGGGGG!!!!

So just exactly HOW does this make any sense? (excluding the fact that 7 flamers is obviously not supposed to be viable). How can I overheat with 40 heatsinks and the enemy doesn't.

You sir need to pay more attention to whats going on instead of complaining.

#49 Ecouto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 125 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Good mech to have at mah roast dinner tho

#50 DevilJade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostDagnome, on 14 December 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

You sir need to pay more attention to whats going on instead of complaining.

You sir need a better sense of humor.

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 14 December 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Well, per TT rules the Flamer inflicted 2 heat on the enemy and generated 3 heat in your own 'mech... so it's kinda inefficient for purely overheating people, unless they're already running hot.

I'm assuming this is info I can find on the wiki? I never played the TT so I just figured FLAMER = HEAT...MANY FLAMER=MANY HEATS=MAYBE OVERHEATS. ;)

Edited by DevilJade, 14 December 2012 - 01:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users