92 replies to this topic

#1 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

it defeats the purpose of any stompy mech game with big beefy guns when you add in a racing element to see who can capture the other base first without firing a shot.

PGI, back to basics please, this is a mech COMBAT game first and a BASE CAPTURE game second or ideally not at all

Edited by klimentvoroshilov, 14 December 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#2 Greyfyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

In before the 'it's beta' crowd arrives to tell you to have patience.

#3 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

if this is a beta, wouldn't it be our duty to give our insight as players to the state of the game?
otherwise that would be like asking for criticism and when you hear a negative marks you just say WELL I DIDN'T WANT YOUR OPINION ANYWAY.

besides, what good is a game if it isn't fun

#4 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

You could set up to defend your base until you know where they are going. If they are rushing you get your brawl at the base. If not, you have some idea how they are setting up before you engage.

#5 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

except coordination doesn't happen in pugs.
you end up going 1 on 5 and I've never seen anyone beat those odds, especially on tundra and nobody watching the tunnel that's large enough for a team of atlas's to just walk through casually

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

it defeats the purpose of any stompy mech game with big beefy guns when you add in a racing element to see who can capture the other base first without firing a shot.

PGI, back to basics please, this is a mech COMBAT game first and a BASE CAPTURE game second or ideally not at all

And yet there is someone out there that is having a blast by Base Capping you! So if you wanna have your Mech battle, Set a trap for the Cappers! and then you get to ruin their game.

#7 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

It is a mech warfare game, not strictly a mech combat game. In war there are objectives. Fighting and killing play a large role, but they are the tools to accomplish another goal. The only mode in game presently is a capture/defend mode. There is no team deathmatch, there may never be.

If there's any doubt about the goal of this game I'd refer you to the 'about the game' page:
"How does gameplay work?
MechWarrior Online puts MechWarriors into a first-person, team-based, tactical battlefield"

#8 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I agree, the game would be more fun if the bases were to be removed

#9 whitelie

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Pretty sure this is just a test gametype at the moment, to test combat/base mechanics at the same time. Learning what to build off of and what not to use and stuff like that.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Only for a while Clever. Then you would get bored cause all there is is Death and slaughter.

#11 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

You could always camp your base and get all the action you want apparently...why are you even pushing out in the first place? Where you going if you arent goning to cap?...it would seem they are all heading to your base anyway.

So hang tight at your base, get your pew-pew on and prevent the base capture all at the same time...dude, you'll be an all-star...a trail blazer, a trend setter, you'll be transcending the para-dig-em while the rest of us our wasting our time trying to achieve the objectives of the game.

#12 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

Play defense then. Nobody said you have to run out to the middle of the map. In pug games especially, most cap attempts are partial, so you're getting only a trickle of mechs to the base at a time, a unified defence can slaughter them.

#13 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

And yet there is someone out there that is having a blast by Base Capping you! So if you wanna have your Mech battle, Set a trap for the Cappers! and then you get to ruin their game.

nobody has fun capping. that's just another form of farming money which is pretty tedious and time consuming. it's like mining on eve, the only actual people mining are the ones who are doing it with an alternate account with the game minimized in the background except you don't even get that luxury in farming on a game like this

#14 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostCleverbird, on 14 December 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

I agree, the game would be more fun if the bases were to be removed

Pure Deathmatch is boring and stupid. I do hope it's added to the game types however so I can stop seeing these sort of threads.

View Postklimentvoroshilov, on 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

nobody has fun capping. that's just another form of farming money which is pretty tedious and time consuming. it's like mining on eve, the only actual people mining are the ones who are doing it with an alternate account with the game minimized in the background except you don't even get that luxury in farming on a game like this

I have plenty of fun capping if it's a pug that's been organized in chat it can be a blast.

#15 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

"surrender, Commando! all your teammates are dead, you have no chance of survival!

" nope, i just captured your base by standing in the magic square, LOL"

".....ok then. cya"

Edited by J4ckInthebox, 14 December 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#16 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

to everyone saying stay at the base or wondering why leave it at all..... that's not exactly a very defendable position. you push out of the base to gain a better leverage on the enemy team.

View PostShalune, on 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

It is a mech warfare game, not strictly a mech combat game. In war there are objectives. Fighting and killing play a large role, but they are the tools to accomplish another goal. The only mode in game presently is a capture/defend mode. There is no team deathmatch, there may never be.

If there's any doubt about the goal of this game I'd refer you to the 'about the game' page:
"How does gameplay work?
MechWarrior Online puts MechWarriors into a first-person, team-based, tactical battlefield"

you can have a tactical battlefield combat experience without bases. there are other maneuvers besides rushing out head to head or are you the type that doesn't believe in flanking or sniping

#17 Daiichidoku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

as much as i sympathise, the OP is ill-informed, seemingly

had he been any less, he'd realise we are getting CONQUEST game mode SOON, where all the mechCPAs and other beancoutners can "win" all day long capping

have patience, this game thus far is only the tip of the iceberg

****** reactionaries without info...sigh

#18 Salient

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 538 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I agree with OP, base caping is dumb. It should be tweaked where the cap rate is reduced if your team is 'losing'. Or done away with altogether.

#19 AdmirableAdmiral

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 73 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

View Postverybad, on 14 December 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Pure Deathmatch is boring and stupid. I do hope it's added to the game types however so I can stop seeing these sort of threads.

I have plenty of fun capping if it's a pug that's been organized in chat it can be a blast.

you sir, find little enjoyment in life and I pity thee

View Postverybad, on 14 December 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

you sir, find little enjoyment in life and I pity thee

#20 Hysteria

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Here is an idea: people need to try playing close to their base for the first part of the match to make sure nobody is going for a quick base cap. Base defense is a vital part of the game, so get used to it in this game mode. The objective in the game mode is firstly to defend your base and capture the enemy base if possible. Period.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users