11 replies to this topic

#1 Zero Neutral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I posted this in the suggestion forums as well, but I am curious about the community's take on this.

Would adding some strategy elements from a series like Mech Commander add to this game?

In Mech Commander, players did not just blob together in an attempt to zerg the opposition. Instead, there were key points, (not similar to conquest,) that allowed for very strategic gameplay.

There were radar stations which revealed areas of the map. (Perhaps owning a radar station could disrupt ECM in the area as well.) This key point allowed for strategic knowledge of incoming attacks which allowed players to either attack or defend depending on the information which they can see. They are usually mounted on hill tops, which are more easily accessed by mechs with jump jets. It was also possible to use LRMs to fend off attacks on the radar station, since targets were visible within the station's sight radius.

There were mech repair bays. Controlling a mech repair bay gave a significant strategic advantage because the player who controlled one could repair mechs that were damaged in a skirmish, whereas the other player may not be able to do so. However, mechs in the bay are defenseless as they must power down in order to be repaired. Alternatively, a player could choose to destroy a mech bay in order to prevent it from falling into enemy hands.

There were mine laying vehicles. This provided more strategy, one could not simply walk wherever they wanted. Encountering mines required patience and the ability to plot another strategy.

There were mortar/air strikes. A limited number of mortar/air strikes were provided to players. These could be used to clear mines, bomb a defenseless mech in a repair bay, or bomb choke points filled with enemy mechs.

I hope that some more strategy elements can be added to this game, because I think that they were well done in the Mech Commander Series.

Edited by Zero Neutral, 14 December 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#2 ObsidianSpectre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I think stuff like that could be really cool in the game. It'd be a pretty drastic change to the current gameplay though. Maybe it'd work better when there can be more mechs in a match?

#3 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I think that these additions would work well in the game as it progresses through development.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yep all that stuff should be in the game.

Capturable objectives that give global bonuses...
Hyperpulse Generators, Sensor Towers, Mech Repair Bays, Aerospace Facilities, Orbital Guns, Etc...

As far as mine laying goes... theres thunder LRMs which are LRMs that drop mines instead of a payload.

#5 Corpsecandle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

These elements would be great, but I think the maps would need to be MUCH larger to make their use interesting.

#6 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostKhobai, on 14 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Yep all that stuff should be in the game.

Capturable objectives that give global bonuses...
Hyperpulse Generators, Sensor Towers, Mech Repair Bays, Aerospace Facilities, Orbital Guns, Etc...

As far as mine laying goes... theres thunder LRMs which are LRMs that drop mines instead of a payload.

Oh, neat.

I was also thinking that it would be easier to make an air strike that drops mines instead of adding a vehicle... just a thought.

Edited by Zero Neutral, 14 December 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#7 FrozenAnt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Man those all sound like really sweet ideas! That would definatly slow down the brawlfest at times, especially if we got C-bill rewards for having them for a certain time at the end, or maybe achievments "Emergency mechanic!" Repair xxx amounts of damage at a station, which gives you MC when you complete them and stuff.

Yup, that sounds like a plausable idea around mid 2014, but for now...Back to practicing my fortune telling abilites and predicting where to shoot streak mandos!

#8 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Unless we have a dynamic, progressive, persistent, battlefield, like borders in GW2, none of that stuff can fit in here. But this isn't an MMO, it's a MOBA, and small simple matches is all it'll ever get. I'm hoping just to see some kind of NPCs, vehicles, and turrets, but that's already a stretch and probably won't ever happen. I also wish the game had preset attackers vs defenders, with each being different, not just team A vs team B in an evenly sided arena, but again, that'll never happen. They're adding in Dominion from League of Legends. It's something, at least? Maybe things will get more unique 6+ months down the road when "Community Warfare" is announced.

#9 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostBluten, on 14 December 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

Unless we have a dynamic, progressive, persistent, battlefield, like borders in GW2, none of that stuff can fit in here. But this isn't an MMO, it's a MOBA, and small simple matches is all it'll ever get. I'm hoping just to see some kind of NPCs, vehicles, and turrets, but that's already a stretch and probably won't ever happen. I also wish the game had preset attackers vs defenders, with each being different, not just team A vs team B in an evenly sided arena, but again, that'll never happen. They're adding in Dominion from League of Legends. It's something, at least? Maybe things will get more unique 6+ months down the road when "Community Warfare" is announced.

Mech Commander was not an MMO... each game played out similarly to how it plays out in MWO, except it had actual strategy.

Edited by Zero Neutral, 14 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#10 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

awesome suggestion. Radar stations wow the possibilities. what about turret control stations?

#11 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostZero Neutral, on 14 December 2012 - 04:34 PM, said:

Mech Commander was not an MMO... each game played out similarly to how it plays out in MWO, except it had actual strategy.

I knew it wasn't an MMO, lol. It was my second favorite RTS of all time.(With the first being Tiberian Sun 1) I probably completed that campaign a hundred times on its first year of release. I think I know how it worked. But I never even said it was an MMO. I said this game isn't. This isn't also a singleplayer that can have a lot of unique "per mission" features. The point is none of that stuff will work in a simple arena multiplayer type of game, which this is. As for strategy, yes that game had a great amount of it, sadly, this one doesn't. What little we did have got thrown out with the ECM patch in favor of catering the game to talentless 300m brawlers.

In order for your ideas to function here, we need maps to become HUGE, and that'll likely never happen with an 8vs8 MOBA title featuring the smallest maps ever seen in MechWarrior. 12vs12 on larger maps and scattered lance drop points might open a door, however. I wish they would just give 1 team a full sized base complete with defenses and everything(ie a dropship that pewpews enemies too), then make team 2 the offensive force charged with raiding it and mercilessly slaughtering everyone in it. You know, scenarios like that? Not TDM arena matches? But even with such low requests, MW will likely not get any of that anytime soon. At least Domi... I mean... Conquest, will be something different.

#12 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

This.

Mech Commander had bigger maps as well, which are crucial for more strategic gameplay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users