37 replies to this topic

#21 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 December 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

I guess I'll post my 4SP, although I don't want to... I love using it.
Med. Laser: x5
SRM6: x2
4tonnes SRM Ammo.

Endo Steel
DHS (6 of them)
Artemis
Armor: 333
Speed: 71.2

Much fun. I'm slowly fine tuning him and making him faster, but I like where he's at right now.

Is Artemis worth it on SRMs? I never really seem to both with them on the CN9-D Which at 114 kph is pretty cool.

#22 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostCferre, on 14 December 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

@MoonUnitBeta

Had that build some time ago without the artemis. But the low speed has been an issue from the start. So dropped 2 tons ammo and got the 250.

good to know.. I was thinking about nuking the head laser as well and a tiny bit of armor. I'll try this out. ;) thanks!

View PostSears, on 14 December 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Is Artemis worth it on SRMs? I never really seem to both with them on the CN9-D Which at 114 kph is pretty cool.

I dunno, people say not, but I haven't noticed that much of a difference from when they nailed Artemis. I suppose it could be better, but it's not bad. It fits and I'm sure it helps to some degree so I'm not against having it. Armor is pretty well maxed and there isn't much else to do except more speed. But I'm not going to get rid of Artemis yet. It's silly to remove it, and then only end up putting it back on again lol

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 December 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#23 Ascendent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

All Hunchi variants are a lot more flexible than most people give them credit for. Depending on play style and desired role you could probably find a good fit with any of the variants. I chose the 4G/4SP/4P variants as I feel the 4H and 4J are hybrids of these platforms. There wasn't really anything I could do with 4H or 4J that I couldn't with one the 3 I chose. There are a lot more builds out there. How effective they are depends on if you play to their strengths. These are just some possibilities to give you some ideas.

If you are buying only 1 and want the best medium brawler then the 4SP is probably the best (if there is a "best") especially with 2xSRM6s (if you get use to hitting moving targets with them). The 4SP can also do ranged setups with LRMs, light hunting with SSRMs or a combination of the two.

4P can be equally deadly in a brawl and is great for taking out lights in stock configuration (4SP works great as a light hunter with 5ML 2SSRMs, but with ECM the 4P probably has the upper hand now). You can also have an almost 4G setup using one PPC for direct fire support or snipping and the rest ML or SL, or 2LL for fire support the rest SL etc.

The 4G is probably the best direct fire support Hunchi. If your going for just one ballistic (like AC20) then the 4H is better as it can support an AC20 and 5ML. But the 4G can support a UAC5 with an AC5 or AC2 for much greater DPS to shred opponents much faster while your assault absorbs the damage. The AC2 is also great for harassing Snipers and LRM boats at distance forcing them to take cover so you can close with your team. The continued rocking effects of this setup also gives you and your team some protection. Some go for 3xAC2s but I personally find it to be too much heat and too low burst damage.

The 4G can make a great light hunter too. You can put in a fast engine 3ML and an LBX10 (give or take an AC2 for sniper harassment) and shred those lights legs. This is especially effective now that ECMs are rampant, you're not streak dependent so it works great.

In short, all else aside, I find the 4G and 4SP the most fun (4G even more so). Which is what matters the most after all. But the 4SP (and 4P) I felt required less skill/time to become proficient with.

P.S. on the matter of Artemis, I use it on my 4SP. It doesn't compensate for bad aiming/piloting, but it does help reduce the spread of damage in the 150ish-270m range. If you're face-hugging your enemy, not much of a difference.

Edited by Ascendent, 14 December 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#24 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostSears, on 14 December 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

The 4SP runs cool for a Hunchback. The spread on the SRM6 gets tighter with artemis. Drop 2 heat sinks and try it. I am trying it now and have not decided. I could use those 2 extra tons for heat sinks or a bigger engine. Time will tell.

#25 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I used to say SP but I find I can get more kills in P model due to localized damage with lasers..The Sp with the basic 4 Med Laser/2 Srm6 does a 50 point alpha is nice but the damage is too spread out even at close range.I have been running an 8 med laser P lately that gets damage approaching the SP amounts but more Kills by centralizing damage and is definitely better at Mid range Turtling.

edit* I even upgraded to the Artemis and it does help but damage is still spread out too much I think past 50 Meters or so

Edited by Green Mamba, 14 December 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#26 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostCferre, on 14 December 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

Get the 4SP. Other variants are inferior durability wise.

- 250 std engine
- Endo
- DHS
- 5 ML
- 2 SRM6 + 2/3 ton ammo

You obviously haven't seen me kill 75% of an enemy team and get 1k damage with a 4G and AC20.

#27 pied

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Been playing a 4P the last few days with 3 medium lasers (RA LA and Head) and 2 PPCs (RT). It's pretty awful tbh, even though the 2 PPCs should be doing 20 damage (when fired together) like an AC20, they do nowhere near as much damage as my founders 4G's derp gun.

Really I'm just trying to get a feel of where PPCs are at right now, so I can see how they are improved with the next update. Aiming is very strange with PPCs in the shoulder, mostly unresponsive and drunk-feeling. I can't lead a target the same as all other weapons.

Although, if you get to a position where enemies are trying to pop shots at you from behind a hill, the PPCs will pretty much give you all the edge you need, simply because the RT on the hunch has the best hardpoint position in the game for shooting over terrain. Your profile is very tiny, just your head and shoulder.

But I agree with most other guys in this thread, the 4SP is pretty much the bee's knees of hunchy's.

SRMs will give you a huge punch in close for far less weight and crits than an AC, then you have 5 energy hardpoints to stuff.

I usually switch back and forth between these setups depending on how many light pilots are playing that night.

For fewer lights:

5 Medium lasers
1 SRM 4
1 SRM 6
2 tons SRM ammo

Light Fest:

3 Medium lasers
2 Small lasers
2 SRM 4
2 tons SRM ammo

Run both with all armor maxed and highest standard engine available with the weight left over.

#28 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Here's my 4H:

ES + DHS
Gauss w/ 3 tons ammo + C.A.S.E.
3 MLAS (head, LA, RA)
AMS w/ 1 ton ammo.
Heat sinks with the rest of available tonnage.

It's very useful.

#29 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Here's a nifty 4P setup I've been using with great success recently:

5 small lasers (right torso)
2 medium pulse lasers (1 right torso, 1 head)
1 large laser (left arm)

endosteel
double heatsinks
250 engine
18 heatsinks
304 tons of armor

It runs too hot to use the large laser in brawls, but the short range damage output is still comparable to traditional builds and you have a big alpha to finish people off. The large laser also adds some utility when you're outside of brawling range, but it's real purpose is to reduce dependency on the hunch. People tend to go for the right torso against the 4P, but this build can deal a significant amount of damage with just the head and arm weaponry.

Edited by FunkyFritter, 14 December 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#30 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hey all... going to go ahead and move this over to the BattleMech guide section...

#31 Tex Arcana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStark Industries: Sector 16.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

The 4SP is the most versatile of the line.
Mine has:
Twin (Artemis) SRM 4's
-2 tons ammo
3 Med. Laser
1 Med. Pulse Laser
1 Sm. Laser
AMS
- 1 ton ammo
245 Engine
304 Standard Armour
Endo Steel
15 Dbl. Heat Sinks

I also have a 4P
3 Med. Laser
6 Sm. Laser
AMS
- 1 ton ammo
255 standard engine
333 standard armour
Endo Steel
18 Dbl. Heat Sinks
Just got Master in the SP, and sold off the 4J I had to make room for something new.
Going to Master the 4P as well for the fun of it.

Edited by Tex Arcana, 16 December 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#32 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Definitely can't go wrong with the -4SP. That lrm20/streak combo is quite interesting. Caution: Excessive -4SP driving may lead to neglected mechs and a mild addiction to HBKs.

View Postmwhighlander, on 14 December 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

You could always try an XL Gauss Hunchy with 2 mpulse

Or an AC20 with a standard 225 and 2 mpulse. B) Runs a tad hot, but just barely. The speed increase and +1 HS from the engine are more of a boost than they appear on the surface. Not in game at the moment, but iirc it is >76kph with speed tweak. Endo/DHS are mandatory. Went this this with my founder's G, and probably just leaving it as it is. Well, I *might* go with an MG troll build after the MG buff, just for old time's sake.

The 4SP was always my preferred variant over the 4P. And the J is just laid out weird. I could never get used to it. That said, I do still enjoy the 4P, but more for novelty builds (LL boating) than performance.

Edited by Bagheera, 16 December 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#33 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Can't wait to try a TAG/LRM hunchie with XL once the TAG buff comes in. These LRM10s just aren't cutting it with standard engines. B)

#34 Sdra

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

I LOVE MY 4P!

8x medium laser (6 in hunch 1 in each arm, the ones in the hunch have great accuracy)
19x double heat sinks gives you 1.11 heat eff wich i find to be sufficient
336 of 338 armor lets you brawl nicely
240 standard engine for circling those assaults

the build is pretty "straightforward" and im having a blast with it, gotta love the alpha strike!

#35 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

4SP - Endo + DHS

5X ML
2X SRM
STD 245 engine

This fit can run a little hot, given the heat efficiency of 1.1. However, cycling your weapons is the key. With elite speed tweek you can easily go 85 KPH, allowing you to run circles around heavies and assaults. Becareful not to walk into a group of enemies though, because you won't last too long.

#36 Drogum Nethar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I'd like to know what y'all think would be the Heavy Mech that is the Hunchback equivalent? Something 70 to 80 tons that is as configurable and well rounded at this one is. Awesome is ok but I'm not really a fan. I have always liked the Black Knight, but I'm afraid they will neutralize it with bad weapons mount setups.
Honestly this strict adherence to the original board game rules is sort of limited and sad. For instance - why can you not put both single and double heat sinks on a Mech (I hate adding double heat sinks and not be able to put the in the legs like singles) - really some of the original thinking on the rules has to change since they were made when it was only on paper 25 years ago. News flash we have computers now people! Update with the times!

#37 Babui

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

I tried to like the 4G. I really did.

Tried it with an AC/10, LBX-10, Ultra-5, Gauss, then back to the AC/20.

Your canon is so easily knocked out leaving you with a few MLs.

And every missed shot with the AC/20, and it happens a lot with lag and other bugs, is a huge missed opportunity.

Get the 4-SP. More reliable and flexible.

#38 Atriedes

• Pip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

I Started out with a 4H (Swapped the AC for a Gauss, 4x Medium) and have since moved to an SP. The 4H is more of a snipers, strike and fade style play, whereas the 4SP is definitely a brawler.
Good times both.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users