Thank you

#2 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Nothing worse than an alpha strike with half your weaponry pointed elsewhere B)

#3 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

View Postzverofaust, on 16 December 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

Please include an option to slave my arms to my torso for more limited movement

Thank you

The separation of the arms from the torso is as much a gameplay balancing measure as anything else.
From Q&A 05:

What, if any, mechanic will be in place to prevent a large group of single-type weapons from devastating a single location, a problem that has plagued just about every incarnation of MW to date? –Thomas Hogarth

[DAVID] We’ve got a few systems in place to handle that problem. One is having weapons such as lasers do damage over time so that, in order to deliver full damage to a single location, you have to hold your fire on the location, which can be difficult when you and/or your target are moving.

Another consideration is the separate arm and torso aim reticles. They will naturally line up with each other but, whenever you aim, you’ll lead with your arms while the torso catches up. This means that, if you want weapons in both locations to hit the same spot, you’ll have to hold your shot until they all aim at the same point.

An additional aspect of our aiming system is weapon convergence. I touched on this in a post I made in reply to Dev Blog 5, but some of you may have missed it so I’ll copy it over here:
Basically, your targeting systems are always trying to adjust the angle of your weapons so that they converge or focus at a distance of whatever your aiming reticles are pointing at. So, if you fire at a target very far away, your lasers (or whatever else) may fire nearly parallel to each other; firing at a target up close will angle the shots inwards. However, the adjustment of these angles is not instant.
For instance, if you were facing a building, while taking cover right up against it, your convergence would adjust to hit just a short distance in front of you (the distance to the building). When you step out from around that building and fire on an enemy in the distance, your convergence point would automatically begin to adjust, but not instantly. If you shoot too soon, your first shots may converge and cross a short distance in front of you and completely miss the enemy as they pass on either side of him. Or perhaps you were aiming for the centre torso and hit his arms instead, as your aim adjusts towards his centre.
Part of the point of not having the arms slaved to the torso (together with non-instantaneous convergence) to to mitigate the ability to have a large group of (usually single-type) weapons being able to always put all of their damage into a single on a moment's notice.

Instead, the current system forces one to either
1.) strike with only some of one's weapons, or
2.) wait until the two reticles overlap, and then strike with one's entire armament

The option to slave the arm reticle to the torso, if presented, immediately becomes a non-option - with torso speeds being what they are (that is, fast enough to not be too much of an inconvenience), there is too much of an advantage in having all of one's weapons pointed at a single point, all the time, to not slave the reticle.

As noted above, the Devs already recognize the ability to do so as a problem (that is, a bad thing), which is part of why they're separate to begin with.
Thus, they should not allow users to slave the arms to the torso.

#4 Humza Ismail

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

I think it is a necessary option and will assist player in certain situations. Convergence is the mechanic they have used to limit alpha damage and locking the arms to the torso would not change that. It could also help newer players as well. Being locked is just an option and certainly something many players would appreciate.

#5 zverofaust

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Rezzing this thread to say booyah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users