9 replies to this topic

#1 Cerebelli

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 244 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

After much (and I mean since the Cicada was released) tinkering, I have finally found a great build on my favorite variant of my favorite chassis: the CDA-3M.

The simplicity of it amazed me when I first put it together. I ditched the Ballistics altogether after trying the UAC/AC 5, AC 2, AC 10, etc, and realized that they were too hard to hit on such a fast mech.

So, here it is:
--
Start with Endo-Steel and 12 DHS.
I stuck with the stock 320 XL engine.
Ended up with 237 armor, with very little on the arms as nothing was placed there.

3 MPL - One in RT, one in LT, one in CT
1 TAG - CT
BAP (It's useful. No, really, it is.)
ECM
--
It's fast, it's powerful, it's somewhat versatile, and it's virtually undetectable (yay for ECM).

I average 500-600 damage per game, and 2-3 kills. It's not extremely cheap to run, but it's not terrible. Most I've ever spent on repairs is 70-80k.

Really, really fun mech. Highly recommended.

#2 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Really close to my build. I did add a machine gun as well, just because there fun.

#3 Enemista

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

yeah, nice build and fun to run, at least until you meet ecm raven with streaks, which will beat you every time

#4 Torqueware

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationA COM-3A

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostEnemista, on 16 December 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

yeah, nice build and fun to run, at least until you meet ecm raven with streaks, which will beat you every time

Teamwork kills raven puggers. Had three in the last match and we slaughtered them.

First step, have the team lights (aka, me) switch ecm to counter.
Second step, have the missle boats and streaks make them have a bad day.

This build has a tag. I feel this mech would work with a team very, very well.

After all, MW was always about teamwork.

Can't wait for command module to come out - then I might run a cicada to be lance commander / intelligence.

Edited by Torqueware, 16 December 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#5 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostTorqueware, on 16 December 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

Teamwork kills raven puggers. Had three in the last match and we slaughtered them.

First step, have the team lights (aka, me) switch ecm to counter.
Second step, have the missle boats and streaks make them have a bad day.

This build has a tag. I feel this mech would work with a team very, very well.

After all, MW was always about teamwork.

Can't wait for command module to come out - then I might run a cicada to be lance commander / intelligence.

Wait what? Team work in mechwarrior?! BLASPHEMY!@

No seriously though, good to see more people out there who know how to use LRMs in the current build.

Also, nice build for the Cicada Cerebelli.

#6 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostEnemista, on 16 December 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

Only if you try to 1v1 them. Any ECM boat with streaks will require teamwork to kill regardless of what you are in (other than another streak ECM light).

More on topic, this is very close to my build as well. Can be very effective if played well (and I sometimes pull it off).

#7 Enemista

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostVodrin Thales, on 16 December 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Only if you try to 1v1 them. Any ECM boat with streaks will require teamwork to kill regardless of what you are in (other than another streak ECM light).

More on topic, this is very close to my build as well. Can be very effective if played well (and I sometimes pull it off).

I totally understand what you mean and have no problem to run counter ECM with teammate in streak cat behind me, but I dont think that it is the way it should be, now. I mean, really a light mech should be able to take down medium in 1on1? Every time? Anyway the problem is not the raven or ecm or streaks, it is the lack of knockdown and POOR hit detection on lights which makes them so OP now. And the idea of implementing ECM while there are still those issues looks really stupid to me.

edit:
Of course I bought that raven, jumped in my second match, took out 5, did over 1000dmg, all alone (no teamplay involved). And you can get similar results every match (unless you meet really good 4men on the other side, but even then you have a chance if you are good pilot and play smart). And I must say that I didnt feel really good for those guys on the enemy team, I can imagine the frustration they must have gone through.

Edited by Enemista, 17 December 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#8 babsa

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostEnemista, on 17 December 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

I totally understand what you mean and have no problem to run counter ECM with teammate in streak cat behind me, but I dont think that it is the way it should be, now. I mean, really a light mech should be able to take down medium in 1on1? Every time? Anyway the problem is not the raven or ecm or streaks, it is the lack of knockdown and POOR hit detection on lights which makes them so OP now. And the idea of implementing ECM while there are still those issues looks really stupid to me.

I think it is important to point out that the raven is only slightly lighter than the cicada, and not to mention it is slower. The ecm raven is like a medium caliber mech with light armor.

#9 Clavicus

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

I loaded up my dual ac20 k2 and got the fortunate luck of getting crimson straight conquest. Knowing that I wouldn't be of much help with my mear 200 std engine I decided to hide on the waterline by gamma cap and wait for some unfortunate soul to try to cap it. My luck a poor raven flew into my trap. I slowly walked up the hill and saw him just standing there, not even looking my direction, didnt even hear me, I lined up my shot right to his back and paused, wondering if i had killed him, then his mech slowly just fell over. I walked onto the cap and returned it to full then returned to my water line camp spot. At this time we had quite the advantage in points probably about 450 to 200. I continued to wait in my location and as I did the rest of my team started dying left and right. It was just me and a poor raven to defend against 5 guys, but luck was on our side because we were at such a huge lead even though they had 4 caps, but because I defended gamma we were able to get the last 50 resources to win the game.

#10 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

beautiful cicada... i'm probably a bit nerdy or artsy but it reminds me nabokov's 'pale fire'

Life is a message scribbled in the dark.
Anonymous.
Espied on a pine's bark,
As we were walking home the day she died,
An empty emerald case, squat and frog-eyed,
Hugging the trunk; and its companion piece,
A gum-logged ant.
That Englishman in Nice,
A proud and happy linguist: je nourris
Les pauvres cigales - meaning that he
Fed the poor sea gulls!
Lafontaine was wrong:
Dead is the mandible, alive the song.