What To Expect: Dec 18 Patch

176 replies to this topic

#161 Radasham

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 18 December 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Sure the farm rusher will be problematic, though having an assault rush and do measurable damage on 8 'mechs so that's a little less armor I have to puch through... Again, I see no problem. How do you differentiate between a farmer and just a bad player at that point?

...snipped

I don't know if that would be a good solution either. As a new player (started Friday), grinding up to my first Mech while a royal PITA, helped train me in some of the basics. BUT I can tell you know my K/D is less than 1, In that a number of times I end up in match's where the results were complete death for my team, and no deaths on the other side, and I had not done a single point of damage, target assist etc because I was one shot'ed, or LRM bombed instantly. This also penalizes casual or new players, as who realistically can say they had a 1 or better K/D the first time they played?

Is there a GOOD solution to AFK/Farm'ers...not really there are always ways around it, or types of players that are going to get penalized with them. IE You could set the system to auto-kick AFK players and remove any C-bill/XP rewards if you are kicked, but this leaves that team short handed, as well as affecting legitimate players (connection drop, client lockup etc). And in 8v8 play this is a big deal.

Mayhaps a better way would be to remove the effects an AFK'er has on the team by upping the number of players in a map to say 10v10 or 12v12, would certainly add more to the excitement and firefights, while more illegitimately opening up specializations such as defense spec mech's or scout based roles (right now I find it hard to justify building out my mech to anything other than min/max/Brawler)

I think realistically we have to accept that ANY game is going to have farmers regardless, And just take the enjoyment we can from a Beta product ;)

#162 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostThontor, on 18 December 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

You should start listing the equivalent times in every single time zone in these posts, it seems like some people still don't understand the concept, and how to convert Pacific time into their local time.

Well, we're so used to EASTERN time being the 'primary' time zone for everything...

This is the first game I've run into where the development/patch cycle wasn't EST based.

View PostCypherHalo, on 18 December 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

PGI, respawns please? I know the "hardcore" crowd doesn't like them b/c they're not "realistic". This is a video game and I can tell you with 100% certainty that respawns would help up the fun factor of this game. Keep a game mode with no respawns for those who like it but I think a lot of us would like to be able to respawn.

No way. No 'respawn', though I'm fine with a the 'drop ship mode' of limited 'lives'... As it is now, you have to play with more care. With a 'respawn' mode suddenly you don't have to care about alpha'ing until you blow up... It removes most of the strategy, skill and situational awareness required to LAST in a battle.

#163 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 17 December 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

Massive kilometer long maps when many Mechs run flat out at 46kph? Hmmm. Doesn't sound all that fun really. BattleTech was in a fictional world where such things could be overcome when the players used abstract thought to overcome what surely was the absurd. We play in real-time and that does not allow that to be the case.

Running to an objective, for 30 minutes, in an Atlas, would be about as FUN as putting broken glass into ones posterior. ;)

Because all players only have the options to drop into either ends of the map, no chance of dropping somewhere near the action at multiple spots on the field.

#164 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostThontor, on 18 December 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

you must have never played any Blizzard games.. They always use PST so I am used to it.

PGI uses the time they are based in, and I don't see why they shouldn't.

Not true, I've played plenty of Blizzard games before, but to be honest I can't recall any PST vs MST/CST (time zones I've lived in) issues for patch time/server outtages before.

#165 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

View Postgrayson marik, on 18 December 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Hmm well, the point that the implementation of R&R was far from being perfect, this is no reason to remove it.
With the same reason someone could come to the conclusion that the whole game implentation is far from being perfect and therefore.... ;-)

I'd rather like to see R&R come into play the longer u play:

- first no R&R and the noob bonus
- noob bonus gone, still no R&R
- playing a while, got to pay amunition
- playing longer, R&R comes to armor+ amo
- being an experienced player: full R&R with even the remote possibility to loose some money if you REALLY screw it up on a match i.e. dying by getting utterly destroyed without even inflicting SOME damage on the oponent ^^

Lots of people turned off Rearm and went in with the 75% ammo.

#166 Arkmaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostNgamok, on 18 December 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Lots of people turned off Rearm and went in with the 75% ammo.

That's what I did. I also hardly ever repaired my mechs outside of structure.

#167 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm super pumped about this patch! I can't wait until I get off work so I can get home to try it out

i feel like it is a step in the right direction...
performance update, new mechs, new content, new map, logical alterations to player experience

keep up the great work PGI

#168 Mireille Brightwater

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

It sucks the patches are always prime time for Europeans but I guess they have to patch it sometimes. This one seems to be going on for a while though.

#169 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostElkarlo, on 17 December 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

Thats the Problem they will use Bots and the People which had CTD will be punished more.

Atm i am troubled that they overdo it, and then driving a Heavy will get to expensiv.
It is right now expensiv like hell. \.

Huh?? There is no repair or rearm costs after this patch.. so how is it getting more expensive?

#170 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostAlfred VonGunn, on 18 December 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

There is no repair or rearm costs after this patch..

Are you sure?

#171 SplinterMD

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostAlfred VonGunn, on 18 December 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Huh?? There is no repair or rearm costs after this patch.. so how is it getting more expensive?

What???
When did this happen ?

*just saw the link, thanks

Edited by SplinterMD, 18 December 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#172 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostThontor, on 18 December 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Strande decision. Half of the fun lost...

#173 SplinterMD

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hmmm I dunno how much "fun" it was to see 120K repair bill or 90k rearm on Artemis LRM boats, even with premium time and founders bonus on my Cata I still had to use the 75% rearm if I was hoping to make some CB's after the match...
I think that deterring people from trying out certain builds because they're not "cost effective" to pilot is bad game design and I'm glad they address that.

That said, I was expecting some tweaking, not removing it out right, the impact on game balance and meta is still to be seen I guess.

#174 edgecrusher

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

I think, it's a bad idea kill "Capture Win and Assist" game's bonuses.

>Economic changes http://mwomercs.com/...mber-18th-2012/
>Capture Win and Assist have been removed.

:( ---> Headshot!

We come for MWO play? :rolleyes:

May be it's a Quake or Unreal DM server? :P

Players will do headhunting only as primary target.
Base capture as strategical line in assault game mode will be poor and rudimental task for win in battle.

#175 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 18 December 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Not true, I've played plenty of Blizzard games before, but to be honest I can't recall any PST vs MST/CST (time zones I've lived in) issues for patch time/server outtages before.

Blizzard is based in Cali, which is on PST.
PGI is based in Vancouver, BC in Canada, still in PST (just over the border from me :) ).
CCP uses GMT 0 for there in-game time, and as such uses that for there patch time too.

Almost all of the game companies use there timezone for there patches. You just gotta know what TZ you are in, and do the math in your head, which I know can be hard for some people who never passed 4th grade.

#176 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

artimus missiles suck. extra weight and nothing to show for

#177 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostThontor, on 07 January 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

You know you need to have line of sight and not be disrupted by ECM?

I can't speak for LRMs... But Artemis is nearly a must have for SRMs for me.

yes i know we need los.

just to name few draw backs. im finding them to be sooo crap. for the extra weight of the device+weapons and not to mention $$$ammo( when rnr is back), all you get is a little bit of convergence. there is no faster and/or longer lock on time and no damage increase. it doesnt even stack with tag.

the lrms fly in a tighter group, but i dont feel like im taking anyone down any faster. if i can see them, for one ton i feel that the tag does ALOT more for me. as for SRM, they fly in a tight group the first 1/2 to 2/3 of flight; then spread out again........... wtf

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users