Jump Jet Nerfs

PoV

160 replies to this topic

#1 bensphynx

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Jump jets seem very poor now; I thought they were about right last patch, when the number you had affected the jump distance/height, but they now seem very poor. It is hard to gain the height to jump small cliffs now, or on top of boxes. My inclination would be to just totally remove them now, to save the fitting space.

From a tabletop game point of view, one is supposed to be able to jump 30m (one hex) per jump jet fitted. I think our current implementation is way way below that now; obviously it is ok to be different, but I'm not convinced that the current version is fun, either.

#2 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Before today, the number of JJ you had on a mech had zero effect. 1 JJ got you just as far as 5 JJ. Now it actually makes a difference how many you have on.

#3 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I think you're confused, before there was no jumpjet:power ratio.

I had one Jumpjet in my jenners leg before this patch and could jump to the top of a building with ease.

NOW its the more jets I have the more power I get.

Its a risk/reward scenario, are you willing to sacrifice tonnage that could be used elsewhere for more mobility which could be more rewarding.

#4 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

I haven't seen how this plays yet... but it seems like a good fix if its going to cost the correct amount of weight and crits to have jump capability

#5 Thegreatdive

• Pip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

The bug fix needed to happen. With that said, I've been playing around with different numbers on my Jenner, and the Jump Jets feel like they need a tiny buff. Using 3 Jets seems to have about the same horizontal movement as before, but the lift they provide seems inadequate post-patch, especially at higher speeds. I'll be sprinting on flat terrain and use half my fuel bar to get all of 5 meters off the ground. Clearly some tuning needs to happen now that there is a significant tradeoff between payload and agility.

#6 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

well even at maximum available jump capacity... which is what we supposedly had pre-patch with just one jet... the trajectory of jumping has changed.

when moving forward the jump takeoff trajectory is slightly more shallow, so to jump onto something you need to start your jump sooner than you are used to.

not nerf or buff... it's just different... i'm just glad that now it requires more jumpjets to achieve a high jump, which makes jj mobility more of a cost instead of an after thought... anything that sticks it to the light mechs is good in my book... LOL... just some ribbing for all you twinkle toe scout pilots

#7 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Jumpjets need more power. Think btech:3025. current jumpjets are really lame and unfun imho.

#8 I WildCard I

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

2 Jumpjets should be sufficent to achieve pre patch jump levels. Jump jets require skill to use effectively during a firefight. If what im reading here about the scaling is true theyve nerfed them into nothingness. Going to be ridiculous if you have to carry 5 jumpjets to be able to attain ALMOST previous height.

Edited by I WildCard I, 19 December 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#9 Xendojo

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostThegreatdive, on 18 December 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

The bug fix needed to happen. With that said, I've been playing around with different numbers on my Jenner, and the Jump Jets feel like they need a tiny buff. Using 3 Jets seems to have about the same horizontal movement as before, but the lift they provide seems inadequate post-patch, especially at higher speeds. I'll be sprinting on flat terrain and use half my fuel bar to get all of 5 meters off the ground. Clearly some tuning needs to happen now that there is a significant tradeoff between payload and agility.

I agree here. With 5 JJ on my RVN-4X it just feels like a waste of tonnage. I just don't get high enough, fast enough. Buff JJ's now that they work correctly.

#10 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

What speed do you maintain while in flight? pre-patch you'd drop down to walking speed if you stayed airborne long enough, im wondering with the changed trajectory are you keeping max speed now at a lower angle?

Also sounds like it'll take longer (with max JJ's) to get up ontop of a 2-3 story building, but possibly travel much further horzontally?

can't wait to try out on Jenners in caustic map when i get home.

#11 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostAsmosis, on 18 December 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

What speed do you maintain while in flight? pre-patch you'd drop down to walking speed if you stayed airborne long enough, im wondering with the changed trajectory are you keeping max speed now at a lower angle?

Also sounds like it'll take longer (with max JJ's) to get up ontop of a 2-3 story building, but possibly travel much further horzontally?

can't wait to try out on Jenners in caustic map when i get home.

You're going to be disappointed. All the thrust is foward movement, there is very little to no vertical movement. To jump up a small building in frozen city you need at least a 400m head start on the jump arc. Good luck jumping up to the base in river city, to the cave in frozen, or anywhere really in forest. It's god awful.

And yes I'm at 5/5 JJs.

Edited by hammerreborn, 18 December 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#12 bensphynx

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

IN the 4th dec patch, we had:

The number of jump jets effects proportionally equal to jump jets modules get replaced by damaged effects when jump jets get destroyed

I had thought that that was a change to make jump jets work based on the number installed. I had had the impression after then that just using a single jump jet was less effective than previously.

Mostly, what I want from jump jets is to be able to travel vertically; to jump tall buildings with a single bound, etc. And at some point, to be able to land on top of another mech (Death from above) or scorch them while taking off (We are Jade Falcon).

#13 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

View Postbensphynx, on 18 December 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

IN the 4th dec patch, we had:

I had thought that that was a change to make jump jets work based on the number installed. I had had the impression after then that just using a single jump jet was less effective than previously.

Mostly, what I want from jump jets is to be able to travel vertically; to jump tall buildings with a single bound, etc. And at some point, to be able to land on top of another mech (Death from above) or scorch them while taking off (We are Jade Falcon).

That patch made visual effects when you lose a JJ. So if you lost a leg which had a JJ when you fired them the leg the JJ was on would have a sputtering JJ animation.

#14 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationdaytona Beach fl

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

What the **** even with my mech loaded to is max jj I can not get the height i had before. tested this one my sons mech scout class same thing. So basically nerfed to 3/5 of prior height.

Edited by Paul Inouye, 07 January 2013 - 08:58 AM.
Subverting the language filter is against the Code of Conduct.

#15 Kalthios

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 374 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yeah JJ could be twice as effective. I have 4 on my CTF-3D, all they do is hurt my mobility. According to the rules I should be able to jump up onto a level 4 building easily with 4 jump jets (no piloting check required). With 4 jump jets I can barely get on a level 3 building ( a building that is a bit higher than my cataphract), and only if I jump at the base of the building and use all my fuel to go up. In battletech, you could jump up to 4 levels up as far as 4 hexes away, I'd be lucky to do about half that.

Edited by Kalthios, 18 December 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#16 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Jump-jets are basically useless now. The difference between 3 and 5 on a jenner is negligible.

If you're going to "fix" them, put performance to slightly better than previously, if you're carrying max JJ's for your chassis. Then scale it down for each that you're not carrying... linearly.

Right now, it's just sad.

#17 I WildCard I

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Jump jets are a manueverability component that requires a lot of skill and grace to use properly. Whether executing a spin to make yourself turn faster, or alphaing an atlas while flying over his AC/20 they were amazing. I agree that the benefit to weight ratio needed to be nerfed but too much devs, far too much.

The previous level of Height should be attainable by 2 maybe 3 jumpjets maximum.

That is level that I feel their weight would start to paralell their effectiveness. I would gladly take a larger heat penalty for weight to thrust ratios that make sense.

Edited by I WildCard I, 19 December 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#18 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

They broke the jumpjets.

Jenners can't jump anything anymore. I have an unmodded 5 JJ jenner and it skips, it doesn't "jump". Building hopping used to be my thing. Now this Totally. Bleeding. Sucks.

They need to fix this or...I dunno. Jump jets were a big part my enjoyment of Mech games in general.

I have 2 JJ on my Raven 4X, I noticed I couldn't jump as high for as long, last patch, that seemed about right. Now the damned thing can't even clear the ground it seems. I have freakin hoverjets, not jumpjets.

I'm selling everything and buying 12 more Atlases. Wait..no..that's what they *Want/Expect* me to do isn't it?

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 18 December 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#19 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

This game is just so anti jump sniping. The Gauss is nerfed to suck. JJ's now are useless and before the most anticipated mech in the Highlander. All mechs hit boxes change when your in the air so hitting a mech while your airborn is more luck then anything.

#20 ICEFANG13

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Very nice, they are removed the only real advantage of the Jenner-D/K over the Raven-3L. Now everything is super balanced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users