Running older Mechwarrior titles with Windows 7 x64?

101 replies to this topic

#1 Ennui

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

Hey guys,

I have a question for those of you who still play some of the older Mechwarrior games, specifically MW2 and MW3 + their expansions.

Is it possible to get these games running on Win7 x64? I know they're from the Win95 era and Win7 has a lot of backwards compatibility issues.

I ask because I really want to revisit MW2 and MW3, but before I go trying to track down a copy to buy I want to make sure it's worth trying at all... not gonna spend money if I can't even get the game to run! I have no clue where my old copies went, haven't seen them in a decade or so.

If anyone has links to any guides or anything about running MW2 or MW3 on Win7 that would be phenomenal :)

Edited by Ennui, 04 November 2011 - 08:05 AM.

#2 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

View PostEnnui, on 04 November 2011 - 08:04 AM, said:

Hey guys,

I have a question for those of you who still play some of the older Mechwarrior games, specifically MW2 and MW3 + their expansions.

Is it possible to get these games running on Win7 x64? I know they're from the Win95 era and Win7 has a lot of backwards compatibility issues.

I ask because I really want to revisit MW2 and MW3, but before I go trying to track down a copy to buy I want to make sure it's worth trying at all... not gonna spend money if I can't even get the game to run! I have no clue where my old copies went, haven't seen them in a decade or so.

If anyone has links to any guides or anything about running MW2 or MW3 on Win7 that would be phenomenal :)

Heres how you get MW2 to work under Win7 64 Bit or even Vista 64 Bit: http://www.mech2.org...c.php?f=9&t=254

Though you won´t be lucky with MW3. I don´t think its possible to get it to run on newer systems.

Edited by Brixx, 04 November 2011 - 08:06 AM.

#3 Ennui

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

Awesome :) thank you so much!

I was really hoping to play through MW3 again... alas. I'll just have to settle for MW2 instead!

#4 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

View PostEnnui, on 04 November 2011 - 08:20 AM, said:

Awesome :) thank you so much!

I was really hoping to play through MW3 again... alas. I'll just have to settle for MW2 instead!

Maybe theres some spaced up stuff to get MW3 to run. But I have googled and asked and summoned dark ghosts for all eternity and couldn´t find a solution. But MechWarrior 2 should work. :D

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

Mech3.org :) There is a fix there that got it WORKING, first mission bug is still there though

#6 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 04 November 2011 - 08:30 AM, said:

Mech3.org :) There is a fix there that got it WORKING, first mission bug is still there though

Where do I find a fix to play it on Vista there? All I found was some NO CD Patch and official updated etc... You have my full attention! WANT!

#7 sdanog struh

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

You "may" have some luck using a free VM ware install. The just run the game in its native os environment.
You'll just need to have a 'beefy" system to run multiple vm's.

#8 Herald

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

Ahh sweet was about to post something tried to install Mw2 today to no avail cheers

#9 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

I just got hold of old cheap hardware and loaded 98SE. People literally throw away stuff now that run MW3 or MW2 fine.

#10 Ennui

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

I suppose I could always just run win98 on my crappy old laptop. MW3 had such awesome singleplayer... I'm aching to revisit it.

#11 Kyros von Richthofen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

If you have Win7x64 Pro, you can download Windows XP Mode for free from Microsoft, which will run all your 32-bit apps you can't get working in the x64 environment. I can't say I've tried MW games with it, though, but I see no reason why they would prove to be an exception.

For MechCommander/Gold players, you can just dump the CD contents onto a folder in your hard drive and run the EXE from there. The installer is not compatible with 64-bit OSes, but the game will run just fine. Dumping the contents to a folder bypasses the installer.

Edited by kyros von richthofen, 05 November 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#12 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

I'm glad someone asked this question, because I was thinking much the same thing. You'd think a PC would always be backwards-compatible. >.<

#13 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Mechwarrior 3 ATI Graphics Problem

This made the game work for me, the bouncing tank bug i am not sure if it is fixed or not as i never came upon them yet.

Edited by CoffiNail, 05 November 2011 - 10:52 AM.

#14 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

well im playing MW2 3dFx here on win 7 x64

#15 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

As far as I'm aware, 2 is a no go, I don't own 3, but I got 4 and all of it's expansions to run beautifully on Windows 7.

#16 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostRayzor, on 05 November 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

As far as I'm aware, 2 is a no go, I don't own 3, but I got 4 and all of it's expansions to run beautifully on Windows 7.

My experience has been the opposite; MW2 runs fine but 3 has severe graphics issues (as is the par) and 4 crashes when I try to launch a mission. I have Windows 7 x64. Any advice? And what exactly is that "XP Mode" mentioned earlier?

#17 Lori Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

Right click on the .exe for the game and check the compatibility tab, you can pick what OS you would like Win7 to emulate while it runs that .exe.

Note: Some game .exe's call others, so you need to set the same mode to all .exe's (if more then one is called - normally when a launcher is used)

#18 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

View PostBelial, on 06 November 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

My experience has been the opposite; MW2 runs fine but 3 has severe graphics issues (as is the par) and 4 crashes when I try to launch a mission. I have Windows 7 x64. Any advice? And what exactly is that "XP Mode" mentioned earlier?

Might want to alter your target line, there is a post on the mektek support section to turn off the in game videos which seem to have a problem with 7 64-bit.

http://www.mektek.ne...ndows-7-64-bit/

Hope this helps.

#19 CasualT

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

If anyone is interested in playing the original MechWarrior or MechWarrior 3050, you can download ZSNES. http://www.zsnes.com/
The ROMS shouldn't be too hard to find. It works for my Windows 7 64-bit machine.

#20 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

View PostBelial, on 06 November 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

Did you download MW4 from MekTek? I don't know why it would matter, but I have the games on disks about two feet away from me right now...

Edited by Rayzor, 06 November 2011 - 01:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users