Running older Mechwarrior titles with Windows 7 x64?

101 replies to this topic

#21 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

MW2 won't work, nor will MW2M for me.

But MW4 still works, and MC2 works... albeit with some odd glitches ocassionally.

#22 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:14 AM

View PostMiles Tails Prower, on 07 November 2011 - 12:14 AM, said:

MW2 won't work, nor will MW2M for me.

But MW4 still works, and MC2 works... albeit with some odd glitches ocassionally.

http://www.mech2.org...a4dbe7d94f522a0

im running both DOS, Win95 and 3dfx versions fine here

#23 IntruderAlert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

Have you tried finding the exeucable (application) file in mw 2 that starts the game in the games folder...
right click it and go to properties...set it to "Run as Win98" etc...
This functionality is even mohr better in win7 64 than it was in previous Win versions..

Most of the problems you run into are not so much OS based but more based on the changes that have
been made in the physical hardware and how it access memory, graphics and other components..

#24 EagleFire

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

This thread got MW3 running on my system which is running Win 7 64.

http://www.mechwarri...=asc&highlight=

To fix the bouncing tanks bug you will need to use a program like CPU Grab which is easy enough to find with a quick google search.

#25 UltraMagnus

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

I have successfully installed MechWarrior 3, using Debian, Wine, and Playonlinux. Just make sure Wine is turned to Win98 mode and that you choose Instant Action. Enjoy :)

#26 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

MW3 is a no-go in Win7 64. I've been tempted to toss a Windows XP 32-bit install on, or as another user suggested, just buy a cheap PC (you can get PIII based laptops on Ebay for like $20).

MW2 has been a mixed bag. It works in Dosbox, except that at the end of the first mission, the game freezes (the training missions all work fine).

#27 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

View PostCatamount, on 11 November 2011 - 07:05 AM, said:

MW3 is a no-go in Win7 64. I've been tempted to toss a Windows XP 32-bit install on, or as another user suggested, just buy a cheap PC (you can get PIII based laptops on Ebay for like $20).

MW2 has been a mixed bag. It works in Dosbox, except that at the end of the first mission, the game freezes (the training missions all work fine).

well im playing both MW2 3dfx and DOS and isn't freezing here, i've followed the instructions and its fine here

about MW2 if you're playing the 3dfx version, use win95 compatibility

#28 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

View PostDeathscream, on 11 November 2011 - 08:16 AM, said:

well im playing both MW2 3dfx and DOS and isn't freezing here, i've followed the instructions and its fine here

about MW2 if you're playing the 3dfx version, use win95 compatibility

MW2's DOS version doesn't run in Windows 7 64-bit, period, being 16-bit software (only the 32-bit WOW emulator is included with 64-bit Windows). It's just like playing EF2000, or X-Wing.

I can use Dosbox, but again, it freezes for some reason, and it doesn't properly recognize my joystick :)

On the flipside, I got MW3 to work.

#29 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

View PostRayzor, on 06 November 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

Did you download MW4 from MekTek? I don't know why it would matter, but I have the games on disks about two feet away from me right now...

I have downloaded and installed MW4 from the mektek site and although the installer bugged out after it installed I just right clicked on the shortcut choose goto file location clicked on the compatibility tab and choose winxp and checked run as administrator and it has run just fin on my windows 7 64bit machine no crashed at all.:)

#30 omegaclawe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

I got MW3 running in W7 64bit Ultimate... without even needing the Windows XP mode. However, the start of the third mission, without fail, has given me a BSOD, along with lots of other little issues related to Windows XP onwards.

Got both MW2 expansions running on Dosbox, but I only have the windows 95 version of the original. This requires that I install Windows XP mode, and the MW2 Windows XP unofficial patch, while running in windows 95 compatibility mode.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting into the Mechwarrior 2 ones, though, because I prefer not to use my joystick, and the key remapping for MW2 is... limited, to say the least.

#31 Akenatum Malthus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Does anyone know how to get crescent hawks inception/revenge and mechwarrior 1 working on windows7 x64 bit?

I do have a copy of win 98 second edition here but i can't work out how to get it properly working under virtual machine....

#32 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

View Postakenatum, on 13 November 2011 - 04:12 PM, said:

Does anyone know how to get crescent hawks inception/revenge and mechwarrior 1 working on windows7 x64 bit?

I do have a copy of win 98 second edition here but i can't work out how to get it properly working under virtual machine....

MW1 would be a DOS game I assume, so I'd say just use Dosbox.

#33 Miles Tails Prower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStrike Cruiser: "Fury of Descent"

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

MC2 doesn't work on most modern OS types, I hear a lot of complaints from Win7 and XP. I know my MC2 has decided to stop working on my Win7.

#34 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I downloaded the demo of MW 3 and it was working flawlessly, but after getting the full version, I can't start the installation. :)
I have a normal PC with Win x64 I want to play it on + my 10-year old computer with Win XP. Can I at least get it running on the old machine?

#35 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

View PostAdridos, on 15 November 2011 - 06:10 AM, said:

I downloaded the demo of MW 3 and it was working flawlessly, but after getting the full version, I can't start the installation. :)
I have a normal PC with Win x64 I want to play it on + my 10-year old computer with Win XP. Can I at least get it running on the old machine?

Let me guess, you're getting the "This program was intended for Windows 98" error with the installer (that's what prevented me from installing it on Wine). If that's all it is, then install it on the XP machine (Mech 3 works great on XP), then copy the game folder to the newer computer and you can play it on both. You'll have to copy over a DLL from the Windows\System32 folder as well, called IFORCE2.dll. Just toss it in the game folder on the new computer and the game will run.

If you're using an Ati/AMD card in the HD 3000 series or newer, you'll also need an unofficial graphics patch, but we'll cover that if and when it's needed.

Edited by Catamount, 15 November 2011 - 06:40 AM.

#36 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Also, I just tested, and I do not get the BSOD on MW3 OP1 Mission 3.

My guess is that that's a video driver issue.

#37 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

So I should install the game on my older PC, copy it onto USB and unpack it to my games folder. Then I should look into old Windows (I looked into Win7 files, but the one you described wasn't there) and copy IFORCE2.dll to my installation folder on the new Win, right? :)

Edited by Adridos, 15 November 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#38 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

View PostAdridos, on 15 November 2011 - 12:30 PM, said:

So I should install the game on my older PC, copy it onto USB and unpack it to my games folder. Then I should look into old Windows (I looked into Win7 files, but the one you described wasn't there) and copy IFORCE2.dll to my installation folder on the new Win, right? :D

Exactly :)

MW3 installs that DLL file, so it'll only exist in your old computer's Windows\System32 folder, and only after install.

I've never been sure as to why sometimes DLL files get installed in the Windows folder, and sometimes they get installed to the game folder (maybe publishers who use the same file for multiple games stick them in \Windows for shared use?), but if you take that DLL from the Windows folder and just toss it in the game folder, next to the MW3.exe executable, Windows will still know to use it.

After that, it should run normally.

If you have a new Ati/AMD video card, you might get a weird flicker/draw error (trust me, you'll know if you see it). If that's the case, just let me know and I can send you the patch file or point you to the forum it was posted on.

After that, happy piloting :D

#39 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

Have to try this out... I am so missing MW3, jonesing.

#40 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

View PostKay Wolf, on 15 November 2011 - 02:15 PM, said:

Have to try this out... I am so missing MW3, jonesing.

Aye, same here. I have the CD (a big thanks to my buddy who's dad accidentally bought him another copy, so he gave the first one to me), but when I put it in, nothing happens. I go to the CD and try to run ANY exe file as administrator, and nothing happens. I'll see about the fix that was suggested on the MW3 Community board (the link in EagleFire's post) a little later. Just would really like to stomp through the campaign again, especially since my high-end gaming laptop (which runs a Steam Library's worth of games perfectly fine) seems to think MW4 should lag horribly. And that's not even online play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users