Art Misc

2251 replies to this topic

#1061 Zoltan

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSaint-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

Guys, could someone help to make top-down sprites of mechs, torsos and legs separately, in white color and right scale. I can make torso like this

Posted Image

but I cannot make animation for legs. 'cos I need legs in idle, step left and step right positions separately from torso. Thank you.

#1062 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

I was just looking over the pics of mechs coming in wave 2, and once they are all live I will be making a new mech mashup.
Torsos and legs (minus the hip missiles) from a Hellbringer.
Upper arms (scaled as needed) from an Ice Ferret.
Lower arms (minus the missiles) from a Gargoyle.

MWO Warhammer

#1063 Intelekt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

So with the new structure for the mechs and this script posted, can someone give me a short tutorial on how to get mechs like the Jenner that are broken apart into blender? From what I can see I should be able to pick and choose parts and weapons with this script?

How do I run the script? Total noob with scripts.. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have a couple of renders and digital paintings of mechs with stuff like the cataphract and even got the 3 parts of the atlas combined, but I'd like to figure out how to make the different variants and weapons and such like I see in the thread. I think the script is the key, just don't know how to use it at all..

#1064 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostIntelekt, on 09 October 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

So with the new structure for the mechs and this script posted, can someone give me a short tutorial on how to get mechs like the Jenner that are broken apart into blender? From what I can see I should be able to pick and choose parts and weapons with this script?

How do I run the script? Total noob with scripts.. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have a couple of renders and digital paintings of mechs with stuff like the cataphract and even got the 3 parts of the atlas combined, but I'd like to figure out how to make the different variants and weapons and such like I see in the thread. I think the script is the key, just don't know how to use it at all..

The script does the assembly for you. Watch the tutorial videos linked in the original post, and then if you have specific questions we can probably answer those. It's a bit tough to narrow down "how do I use it?" ;)

#1065 MavercK

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:48 AM

is it possible to get the animations in as well?

#1066 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostMavercK, on 18 October 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

is it possible to get the animations in as well?

Not with the current cryengine plug-in.

#1067 Guidestone

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:16 PM

I keep running into a problem during video 1 when you are converting from cgf to obj. Here is what happened when I followed the steps. Can anyone help me understand what I missed?

http://i.imgur.com/BH0FbJF.png

#1068 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostGuidestone, on 18 October 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

I keep running into a problem during video 1 when you are converting from cgf to obj. Here is what happened when I followed the steps. Can anyone help me understand what I missed?

http://i.imgur.com/BH0FbJF.png

Do you have the Cryengine plug-in?

#1069 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

This thread was just brought to my attention and my 3D modeling skills are pretty weak. What I would like to know is how would I measure these 3D models in order to properly print 1/72 scale figures?

#1070 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 18 October 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

This thread was just brought to my attention and my 3D modeling skills are pretty weak. What I would like to know is how would I measure these 3D models in order to properly print 1/72 scale figures?

Shapeways gives you various height options
-Millimeters
-inches
-meters
Hope this helps you.

#1071 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

did heffray change something in the Mech_importer script that breaks the tutorial?

I'm trying to follow the steps in his youtube videos but all I get is this...

Posted Image

#1072 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

No, everything should still be fine. Your import.txt file is pretty big though. Be sure to delete it after every run, as it just appends. Can cause a lot of problems when importing.

Is it just hanging for you?

#1073 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostHeffay, on 23 October 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

No, everything should still be fine. Your import.txt file is pretty big though. Be sure to delete it after every run, as it just appends. Can cause a lot of problems when importing.

Is it just hanging for you?

It just hangs at the point shown in the screen shot and never asks for a path to the body folder/object files.

#1074 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

Ok I think I figured out part of the problem, base folder needed to be defined within the script. It still does not ask for the body directory, but at least now it generates a text file.

That said, it still does not work. Pasting the contents of import.txt into Blender's python console results in nothing but a long string of error messages.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 24 October 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#1075 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 23 October 2014 - 11:58 PM, said:

Ok I think I figured out part of the problem, base folder needed to be defined within the script. It still does not ask for the body directory, but at least now it generates a text file.

That said, it still does not work. Pasting the contents of import.txt into Blender's python console results in nothing but a long string of error messages.

Be sure to delete any import.txt, run the mech importer, and imort it into a new Blender session. Can't have a failed import, delete all the objects, and import again with a different import.txt. You have to restart Blender as well, as the object names get .001 appended on, and it can't figure out the rotations.

#1076 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

View PostHeffay, on 24 October 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

Be sure to delete any import.txt, run the mech importer, and imort it into a new Blender session. Can't have a failed import, delete all the objects, and import again with a different import.txt. You have to restart Blender as well, as the object names get .001 appended on, and it can't figure out the rotations.

I did all that

This is what I get when I try to run the script (for some reason blender does allow one to copy text from the console)

Posted Image

#1077 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostMech42Ace, on 22 October 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Shapeways gives you various height options
-Millimeters
-inches
-meters
Hope this helps you.

Not quite, I need to know the actual height of the mech to reduce it and get it printed in the proper scale. As of now I found I could possibly use the 1/60 scale Atlas from armorcast as a rough referencing point but I want a more acccurate measure from the 3d models themselves.

#1078 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 24 October 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Not quite, I need to know the actual height of the mech to reduce it and get it printed in the proper scale. As of now I found I could possibly use the 1/60 scale Atlas from armorcast as a rough referencing point but I want a more acccurate measure from the 3d models themselves.

Rule of thumb in blender is that 1 "blender unit" = 1 Meter. Based on the scaling of things like the pilot model and the walkways and gantries in the mechlab MWO appears to adhere to this standard.

#1079 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:02 AM

I could put a hexbase file I made on dropbox. It is a .stl and imports nicely into Blender. Unfortunately its at TT scale and not 1/72. You could try and scale up from there though

Edited by Seijin Dinger, 25 October 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#1080 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 24 October 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

I did all that

This is what I get when I try to run the script (for some reason blender does allow one to copy text from the console)

Does this file actually exist?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users