2251 replies to this topic

#1141 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:09 AM

Another interesting discovery: All the components needed to make the Variant C of the Nova are in the game. Not by pure coincidence, either: the LA ballistic slot is something no currently released Nova has (though you could argue they are just mirrored versions of the RA ballistic weapons for the B variant), and there's a full complement of LT-mounted missile weapons (when there are NO Nova variants with missiles currently in the game).
Posted Image
No missile hardpoints for the right arm, though, so it looks like the Variant D (LRM 20 in the RA stock) isn't on the cards yet.

Edited by Sparks Murphey, 18 November 2014 - 02:09 AM.

#1142 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

You give me great hope. :)

#1143 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

Bug report for you, Heffay:

I'm running 1.32 of the mech-importer. When pointed at the Summoner, it's loaded all of the chassis parts, but none of the weapons except the left torso LRM 5, LRM 15 and LRM 20. The import.txt file doesn't contain any references to those parts, so it's not a problem within the way Python imported it. It's possibly related to the fact that all the Summoner arm weapons are called "smn_[side]_arm_forearm_[weapon]_[mount]", though that doesn't explain why it's missing the torso weapons.

Cheers!

#1144 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

That's weird. The script should be processing every .obj file in the body directory. Are there .obj files for all those weapon components in there?

#1145 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

View PostHeffay, on 19 November 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

That's weird. The script should be processing every .obj file in the body directory. Are there .obj files for all those weapon components in there?

From further testing, I think I've identified the problem, and it was located between the keyboard and chair. I think I closed PowerShell before it had finished compiling the text file. :blush:

#1146 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Posted Image
Do NOT alpha strike.

#1147 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 26 November 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

Posted Image
Do NOT alpha strike.

But you saying I can't makes me want to! :P

#1148 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:13 PM

The Timber Wolf "A" Variant's left shoulder slots are in the game files, too.
Posted Image

#1149 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 27 November 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

The Timber Wolf "A" Variant's left shoulder slots are in the game files, too.
Posted Image

So... what does that look like with a pair (or trio) of PPC in the shoulder?

#1150 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:02 PM

View PostGryphorim, on 27 November 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

So... what does that look like with a pair (or trio) of PPC in the shoulder?

Posted Image
For some reason, the sunglasses just magically appeared when I added all the PPCs. ;)

#1151 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 27 November 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

Posted Image
For some reason, the sunglasses just magically appeared when I added all the PPCs. ;)

Ironically it does the PPC carrier job better than the Awesome. Does this mean that the Madcat is the new Awesome?

#1152 Fatbat

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationCosta del Sol, Spain

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Is it the general consensus that the best way to get models into 3dsMax is to go through the Blender process and then export a model to Max? Will this bring all the textures and rigging along with it? How about layers for different weapon configurations?

Are the links in the OP all up to date with the most recent versions of the mech Importer, noesis, the cryengine_cgf, etc.?

Thanks for all your help!

#1153 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostFatbat, on 28 November 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Is it the general consensus that the best way to get models into 3dsMax is to go through the Blender process and then export a model to Max? Will this bring all the textures and rigging along with it? How about layers for different weapon configurations?

Are the links in the OP all up to date with the most recent versions of the mech Importer, noesis, the cryengine_cgf, etc.?

I can't talk about importing into Maya, since I can barely spell it. However, all the links in the original post should still be good.

For rigging in Blender, watch the 3rd tutorial, since it goes over how to import the skeleton from the game files.

#1154 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostFatbat, on 28 November 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

I've found it's the best way to get the game objects into Max, yes. Due to a strangeness, I find I need to export to obj from Blender, clear the scene, import that obj back into Blender, then export to fbx for opening in 3DS Max. For some reason, the first export can be read by Blender fine, but comes up a mess of vertices and triangles when I open it in Max, but it works fine the second time.

By this process, a material makes it across, but doesn't point to the required texture files, and I've had more success rebuilding the material by hand (_dif file to diffuse with Alpha turned off, _spc file to alpha for monochrome and RGB for RGB instanced to Specular Level and Specular Color, _ddn inside a normal bump map in the Bump channel). I haven't given importing the skeleton a shot yet. Weapons aren't on different layers in 3DS Max, but they are all separate objects, so it's relatively simple to use the Select dialog to pick out everything you don't want and hide it.

#1155 Lynceus

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hello,

First of all, thank you all for this great thread and all the ressources and help you provided!

I have a more general question that might not be exclusively for user who try this in Maya but maybe they can relate: When I import a mech (without much fixing) in Maya and apply the standard normal, diffuse and specular map, I found that the resolution is awefully low and result in something like this:

Posted Image

Exporting the files with Noesis or Photoshop doesn't really matter. The resolution is around 2k x 2k. With respect to the size of the model or rather the respecting faces, this seems quite low. Am I missing something (like high res textures) or is the texture and there is no such a thing?
Also the normal map looks quite off.

#1156 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostLynceus, on 28 November 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Hello,

First of all, thank you all for this great thread and all the ressources and help you provided!

I have a more general question that might not be exclusively for user who try this in Maya but maybe they can relate: When I import a mech (without much fixing) in Maya and apply the standard normal, diffuse and specular map, I found that the resolution is awefully low and result in something like this:

Posted Image

Exporting the files with Noesis or Photoshop doesn't really matter. The resolution is around 2k x 2k. With respect to the size of the model or rather the respecting faces, this seems quite low. Am I missing something (like high res textures) or is the texture and there is no such a thing?
Also the normal map looks quite off.

Well, they are game textures, not HD film textures. 2k x 2k is pretty decent for a game.

As for the normal maps, you may find that Maya is automatically adjusting the gamma on the normal map to make it "punchier". Because of the way illumination works in 3D renderers, a regular image can look washed out when rendered. As a result, the "clever" people at Autodesk took the liberty of automatically adjusting the gamma correction of all imported images by 2.2. Perplexingly, this includes normal maps, where the colour doesn't represent, well, colour, but a vector for a normal. Messing around with the gamma on a normal map make it completely inaccurate. When you import, make sure you set the gamma override to "1.0" rather than "image default" or "system default" (yes, even if it's set to image default, if 3DS Max/Maya can't find a setting in the image, they'll default to their own preferences).

#1157 LadyKayBee

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:43 AM

It would appear that the Clan Wave 2 mechs (aside from the Mad Dog) do not work with your script. From what I've seen it only imports half the models, leaving the other half a jumbled mess. I'm still testing to see if it's not my own stupidity, but can anyone else tell?

I cannot get the Mist Lynx, Ice Ferret, or Hellbringer to work. Hellbringer and Mist Lynx were giving me errors in trying to import in blender, as for some reason the pointers don't use two slashes (\ rather than \\, which Blender won't read). When I fixed that only half of the models appeared to import, and there were tons of errors in the Python console. I made sure I wasn't doing anything different and converted the Stormcrow which I hadn't previously imported, and that worked fine.

I was REALLY hoping to convert the Hellbringer, could you help me figure this out?

Edited by CaptainKBX, 01 December 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#1158 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yup, the new mechs are all kinds of fooked up. I mean the mechs are fine, but the problem is that the cryengine plug-in is suffering from the exploded mech geometry pretty badly. Until I get the plug-in updated (something I'm counting on others to do right now), I think we may be at a dead end as far as mech-importer. Save your old .cgf/.cga files. If the models get updated, I can't guarantee that mech importer will work properly. :(

#1159 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostHeffay, on 01 December 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

Yup, the new mechs are all kinds of fooked up. I mean the mechs are fine, but the problem is that the cryengine plug-in is suffering from the exploded mech geometry pretty badly. Until I get the plug-in updated (something I'm counting on others to do right now), I think we may be at a dead end as far as mech-importer. Save your old .cgf/.cga files. If the models get updated, I can't guarantee that mech importer will work properly. :(

it seems I'm having trouble with MWO mech files as the same with RSI's Space ship files, is it due to an update with Cryengine or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I kind of need them right now for a database project... and thesis paper presentation.

#1160 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:59 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 01 December 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

it seems I'm having trouble with MWO mech files as the same with RSI's Space ship files, is it due to an update with Cryengine or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I kind of need them right now for a database project... and thesis paper presentation.

The Cryengine plugin for Noesis was made for CE2, but it worked good enough for most CE3 implementations, with the occasionally exploded model issue. This was particularly prevalent in Star Citizen. However, when SC released Arena Commander, they also updated the CE version to 3.5 to take advantage of PBR, and that changed the file structure around a bit to where the plug-in no longer works at all. You have to use older versions of the SC game files (pre AC) to use those models, and even then they require a lot of manual placement.

Will keep working on getting the CE plug-in updated. Until then... :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook