2251 replies to this topic

#1301 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

When running both feet leave the ground which is a definition, not confused with jogging.

#1302 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:04 PM

View Postmad kat, on 28 January 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

When running both feet leave the ground which is a definition, not confused with jogging.

It is a matter of semantics, but IQ did say "while walking fast". By definition, walking involves the feet staying on the ground, but since the mech in your image has both feet off the ground, it is obviously running, lol.

#1303 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

View Postmad kat, on 28 January 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I didn't want to step on anyone's feet. I just think the mechs in MWO "fly" too much. A Mech of this size would not leave the ground like a running human in real life, I think.

Anyways, it's not about the walking cycle. The Lighting was excellent!

#1304 Ra-ul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 122 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

View PostAndreas80, on 24 January 2015 - 04:35 AM, said:

Getting some of the mwo assets into the cryengine is pretty easy. But i would appreciate if any one could lead me the way to import a rigged mech into the cryengine!

There is also a way to do that, someone pointed it out in this thread (don't remember who exactly).
To my best knowledge you have to do this:
You need Cryengine 3.4.5 or earlier, as later versions do not support the kind of rig those Mechs are built.
You extract the animations.pak, materials.pak, gamedata.pak and objects.pak from MWO into you Cryengine/Game folder.
You open the character editor and load the .cdf file which is typically in the objects/mechs/mechname folder. There you can view the animations.

So far so good. But I have not enough knowledge on how to actually use the mech as player model or vehicle (not even sure how it is used in MWO). Though I have found the following files which might be relevant:
*animations/graphs/mech_locomotion.xml and mech_locomotion.ag
*animations/graphs/humans/pilo/pilot.dba
*libs/mechloadout/xxx.xml --> Loadouts for stock mechs. I guess they just load the relevant attachements (weapons) and hide the others
*libs/items/mechs/Mechs.xml -->contains a list of available mechs
*objects/mechs/mechname -->several files, character definition, hardpoints/omnipods, etc
*objects/mechs/mechname/body/ --> you find the .chr and .chrparams as well as the .mtl file
*scripts/entities/mech.lua

This is far more than a simple 1st person character typically needs to run in cryengine, and I have no idea how to get everything together to make it work to run around in a mech in sandbox.
In entities I also found MWOSpawnPoint and Mechspawner (under multiplayer), but unfortunately I don't know enough of scripting and coding to see how this would play together.

Maybe someone else with better skills might figure out. I'm still waiting for the day I can jump into a mech and run around in one of my maps :)

#1305 KageyamaReji

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

I've followed the youtube guide steps 1 and 2. Not intending to skin, just hope to get stl for printing.
I'm having trouble with the import script. It never asks for my obj directory and requires ./ to run, which when it does, just generates lots of errors. Help please? I wanna print out a timberwolf for keeps.

edit: Fixed it by updating to latest Powershell. May be a good idea to put that in the first post

Edited by KageyamaReji, 31 January 2015 - 07:55 AM.

#1306 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

It's been a while since I've been in here but I thought I would share this: link
This should make it possible to see what size a model is in terms of actual empirical units in 3DS Max. I have yet to try it but lets hope the mechs aren't all five feet high.

Edit: As I feared, an Atlas is less than a meter tall.

Edit: False alarm, had to change how it was measured when imported. It's 19.27 meters tall. So psyched to have some proper scaling.

Edited by gregsolidus, 31 January 2015 - 11:34 PM.

#1307 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

*Requesting assistance!*

I have a problem with the importer-script...

Had it up and running a few weeks ago, everything worked back then, despite my weak script skills...after some HDD problems I've setup the whole thing again and get these errors in powershell over and over again:

Posted Image

At least a bit of green in there ;)
I'm totally lost by now...

- "c:\mechtest\" is my basedir with the extracted .pak's...script is redifined accordingly...everything else is at default...
- mech parts are converted to .obj
- import.txt appears but does nothing in blender

I wouldn't even need materials, textures, bones etc., I'm totally cool with just the bare model...

Edited by SpOoKy777, 01 February 2015 - 10:19 PM.

#1308 Andreas80

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hesse, Darmstadt

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

View PostSpOoKy777, on 01 February 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

*Requesting assistance!*

I think you should update your powershell

#1309 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

View PostSpOoKy777, on 01 February 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

*Requesting assistance!* I have a problem with the importer-script... Had it up and running a few weeks ago, everything worked back then, despite my weak script skills...after some HDD problems I've setup the whole thing again and get these errors in powershell over and over again: Posted Image At least a bit of green in there ;) I'm totally lost by now... - "c:\mechtest\" is my basedir with the extracted .pak's...script is redifined accordingly...everything else is at default... - mech parts are converted to .obj - import.txt appears but does nothing in blender I wouldn't even need materials, textures, bones etc., I'm totally cool with just the bare model...

Yup, as Andreas80 mentioned, the new script takes advantage of a feature found in Powershell 3.0. A quick update of that should fix the problem you see with the split() method.

I should update my Asset Importer too. I wonder if I could get the material assignments to work better for that one... Having ready made map parts could definitely come in handy!

#1310 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

Ahhh...thx so much guys...

I'd never guessed that on my own... :D

Having ready made map parts could definitely come in handy!

Indeed! I used some buildings I had setup manually, horrible process, especially the texturing...

Edited by SpOoKy777, 02 February 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#1311 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

View PostSpOoKy777, on 02 February 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

Indeed! I used some buildings I had setup manually, horrible process, especially the texturing...

The problem is that the mapping between the textures and the vertex group isn't clearly defined in the .mtl file. They just identify which materials are used by the object, but not which object to apply to them. This is true for the mech parts too; all objects say they use <mech>_body, but clearly the variant pieces use a different material.

Probably a plug-in issue for Noesis. That thing really needs to get updated. :(

#1312 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

That thing really needs to get updated.

I just checked the authors site...seems there was an update yesterday, 4.13...weird coincidence... :)

#1313 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostSpOoKy777, on 02 February 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

I just checked the authors site...seems there was an update yesterday, 4.13...weird coincidence... :)

That's probably for Noesis, but not the Cryengine plugin DLL that does all the real work. :(

#1314 SpOoKy777

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 148 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

Oh...you're right, just Noesis...

Hmmm...that's unfortunate...

Excuse if I repeat old stories here, but maybe this helps in any way...

...quick search says:
The original author of the plug-in is named "revelation"...last revision of the plug-in is from Feb. 2011...
Seems the guy is still active in the XeNTaX community -> http://forum.xentax.com/
His last post is from Oct. 2014...in which he is mentioning working on some Noesis related stuff...

#1315 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

View PostSpOoKy777, on 02 February 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

Oh...you're right, just Noesis...

Hmmm...that's unfortunate...

Excuse if I repeat old stories here, but maybe this helps in any way...

...quick search says:
The original author of the plug-in is named "revelation"...last revision of the plug-in is from Feb. 2011...
Seems the guy is still active in the XeNTaX community -> http://forum.xentax.com/
His last post is from Oct. 2014...in which he is mentioning working on some Noesis related stuff...

Yeah, I've chatted with him a few times on xentax. He's talked about updating it, but aside from a test version to fix the exploded geometry issue (which was only somewhat successful), he hasn't done much with it. He did look at the new 3.6 Cryengine files (from the PBR stuff in Star Citizen), but no update to that.

I've also asked if he'd be willing to release it as open source, because I'd be more than willing to help out. He's indicated possible support for that idea, but... I don't know. I really want to get my hands on the code so I can fix up all the materials, get the animations, etc, etc.

He did say he based the code off of an open source Cryengine exporter that is on github somewhere. I'll see if I can find the exact location of it. Might have to start up a project based on that to get a new Noesis plug-in, if we can find some decent C# programmers. I'm just passable, and would probably need a lot of help.

#1316 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyffi/

I'm going to get a project started in about 2 weeks to go over this and see if it can be updated for Cryengine 3 (including 3.6). If you're interested in participating and have knowledge of programming, file structures, and graphics files, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#1317 Andreas80

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hesse, Darmstadt

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:31 AM

View PostHeffay, on 02 February 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyffi/

I'm going to get a project started in about 2 weeks to go over this and see if it can be updated for Cryengine 3 (including 3.6). If you're interested in participating and have knowledge of programming, file structures, and graphics files, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A good starting point would be : http://sourceforge.n...ats/cgf/cgf.xml

#1318 baabaa214

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:30 AM

Was the UrbanMech released in the last patch update?
Went looking for it and did not see it.

If was where is the Mech located?
Thank you.

#1319 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

View Postbaabaa214, on 04 February 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

Was the UrbanMech released in the last patch update?
Went looking for it and did not see it.

If was where is the Mech located?
Thank you.
Urbs is April 7.

#1320 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:22 AM

Big brother.
Posted Image

Not as happy with this one... Needed a dark scene to hide the holes in the stalkers model as i CBA fixing the gaps yet :-p the first render with both mechs in scale with each other (rendered together).

Edited by mad kat, 04 February 2015 - 07:31 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users