How To: Create Your Own Art Using Pgi's Mechs

Art Misc

2251 replies to this topic

#1601 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

I've begun to play around with this stuff again, and I have a problem that either the converter or the importer script messes up something with either the UV coords, vertex groups, or materials:

Posted Image

Or is it just that this default texture doesn't have the relevant parts, and they are contained in the actual camo textures?

#1602 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

View Postzagibu, on 05 October 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

I've begun to play around with this stuff again, and I have a problem that either the converter or the importer script messes up something with either the UV coords, vertex groups, or materials:

Posted Image

Or is it just that this default texture doesn't have the relevant parts, and they are contained in the actual camo textures?

The default *_body_* texture contains the textures for the main chassis of the 'Mech, but the textures for the weapons (and any custom geo) and the cockpit are in the *_variant_* and *_window_* files respectively.

#1603 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, I know that, but those parts are faces of the body, not variants.

#1604 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:10 PM

View Postzagibu, on 05 October 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Yeah, I know that, but those parts are faces of the body, not variants.

The window one should be using the cataphract_window material. The others are probably variant parts as well, even if it isn't clear. There isn't always 100% consistency when a part is used as the _variant or _body material, so if the material doesn't line up, switch to the other one.

#1605 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:28 PM

Maybe I don't get something, but they aren't separate objects. The two small covers are part of the right forearm and the big one is part of the right torso.

#1606 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

View Postzagibu, on 05 October 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

Maybe I don't get something, but they aren't separate objects. The two small covers are part of the right forearm and the big one is part of the right torso.

Well, you're right. I'm not sure what's going on here, other than the UVs aren't lining up to the right spot for this object.

Posted Image

If you have a default cataphract in the mech lab with no weapon on this spot, what happens?

#1607 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

It looks like this:

Posted Image

#1608 moso

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hi guys,
Can I find already extracted models anywhere? I have troubles with installing Powershell v3 so I can't extract model myself. :( Tried to open *.pak files with Cryengine SDK, with no luck, files are locked.

#1609 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

View Postmoso, on 25 October 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Hi guys,
Can I find already extracted models anywhere? I have troubles with installing Powershell v3 so I can't extract model myself. :( Tried to open *.pak files with Cryengine SDK, with no luck, files are locked.

We don't want to bite the hand that feeds us. Sharing game models can lead to all our nice toys being taken away, and I really don't want to risk that.

I haven't heard of anyone having issues getting Powershell installed. You might want to track down what is causing that problem. I think any Windows 10 computer should be able to do this by default.

#1610 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

View Postmoso, on 25 October 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Hi guys,

The obj converter is an executable. You can assemble the mechs piece by piece manually, just import them into blender one by one.

#1611 moso

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:56 PM

View PostHeffay, on 25 October 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

I use Win7 with PowerShell 2.0.1.1, and can't upgrade this version right now, seems I have to re-install OS for that. But I need a time window to do this because there are lot of programs I have to install and tune again.

Maybe there's a way that doesn't need PowerShell? I don't need textures or animation, just solid models - want to print a figure as a gift for my friend, but the best I can find is an Atlas STL file (from thingiverse and similar web resourses), hollow inside and with two holes at the chest. Results are ugly.

View Postzagibu, on 29 October 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Thanks, I'll try this method. Hope it's not very complex - I use CAD software so programs like Blender/3Ds Max are unfamiliar to me.

Edited by moso, 30 October 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#1612 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:17 PM

View Postmoso, on 30 October 2015 - 01:56 PM, said:

I use Win7 with PowerShell 2.0.1.1, and can't upgrade this version right now, seems I have to re-install OS for that. But I need a time window to do this because there are lot of programs I have to install and tune again.

Maybe there's a way that doesn't need PowerShell? I don't need textures or animation, just solid models - want to print a figure as a gift for my friend, but the best I can find is an Atlas STL file (from thingiverse and similar web resourses), hollow inside and with two holes at the chest. Results are ugly.

Thanks, I'll try this method. Hope it's not very complex - I use CAD software so programs like Blender/3Ds Max are unfamiliar to me.

Well, if you want to print it, you will have to work on almost every piece separately anyway (make it "closed"), so I guess it's not THAT big of a loss. Could even be fun, the final assembly "mech puzzle".

#1613 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

It is possible to read the files that Powershell deals with manually, finding the translation and rotation values in those files and inputting them by hand. Just remember that the files list rotations in quaternions rather than the XYZ Euler rotations you're probably familiar with, and converting quaternions into Eulers is not a trivial process (largely because there are multiple Euler solutions for a single quaternion solution, which is why they're used in the first place). If you can find a good converter that will give you a usable value, or don't mind tackling the math yourself, it's doable. Or, just eyeball the rotations - you're probably going to want to pose them anyway.

#1614 moso

• Pip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

View Postzagibu, on 30 October 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

There are free software like Netfabb Basic, or MeshLab that helps with that. :) Usually Netfabb is enough to automatically repair everything you need.

View PostSparks Murphey, on 30 October 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

Task looks more complex than I expected, while the friend's birthday almost came. :) So I'll try to do something with that Atlas model (or Timber model that I found today). But want to return later to get some models to work with during vacant hours, and maybe there will be easier way to do this by then (though after dealing with solid models this mesh-mechs slightly terrify me).
Thanks!

#1615 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 30 October 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

It is possible to read the files that Powershell deals with manually, finding the translation and rotation values in those files and inputting them by hand. Just remember that the files list rotations in quaternions rather than the XYZ Euler rotations you're probably familiar with, and converting quaternions into Eulers is not a trivial process (largely because there are multiple Euler solutions for a single quaternion solution, which is why they're used in the first place). If you can find a good converter that will give you a usable value, or don't mind tackling the math yourself, it's doable. Or, just eyeball the rotations - you're probably going to want to pose them anyway.

You can change to Quaternion rotations in the Blender N panel.

#1616 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:19 AM

View Postzagibu, on 01 November 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

You can change to Quaternion rotations in the Blender N panel.

You learn something every day! I'm using 3DS Max after the initial import to Blender with Heffay's script, and as far as I know Max will display quaternions but not allow them to be entered.

#1617 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:08 AM

I don't mean to seem dense but I've been trying to get cgf converter to work for hours- can someone tell me whats wrong with my syntax?
file:///C:/Users/Greg/Desktop/Powershell.pngfile:///C:/Users/Greg/Desktop/Powershell.pngPosted Image

#1618 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

You need to put in the path to cgf-converter.exe into your command, since the directory you copied it to (c:\users\greg\scripts) isn't in the path. So either add that directory to the path, or every time you call cgf-converter.exe you need to call it with "c:\users\greg\scripts\cgf-converter.exe".

#1619 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:33 AM

Passed the first hurdle, now Powershell refuses to run Mech-Importer.ps1, saying that it can't run scripts by default even when I set the execution policy to unrestricted and saying it's not there when I place .\ beforehand all of which while it's in the proper directory.

Edited by gregsolidus, 20 November 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#1620 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:00 AM

View Postgregsolidus, on 20 November 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

Passed the first hurdle, now Powershell refuses to run Mech-Importer.ps1, saying that it can't run scripts by default even when I set the execution policy to unrestricted and saying it's not there when I place .\ beforehand all of which while it's in the proper directory.

If you use the full path, you don't use the .\ in front. Actually, you should never use the .\cgf-converter.exe, since that means it's checking the current path for the file. If it's in the path, you can just do "cgf-converter.exe <filename> -objectdir "<base of the Objects dir>" "

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users