How To: Create Your Own Art Using Pgi's Mechs

Art Misc

2251 replies to this topic

#1861 Kantas

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

I'm getting the same errors with a bunch of mechs, I managed to get a bunch of these done several months ago using noesis.

I'm trying the CGF converter, and it seems to work well, but my import goes the same as for Seijin Dinger.

If i have the starting cube selected, I have all the parts seem to become a child of the cube... In the top right you can "expand" the cube in the scene area and see all the mech parts sitting in there.

#1862 Kantas

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:35 AM

I'm looking at this again, focusing on the Wolfhound.

There seems to be an issue with the output from the CGF converter. All my wolfhound .obj files had _out appended.

IE:
wlf_right_torso_ppc_eh1.obj was created from the converter as wlf_right_torso_ppc_eh1_out.obj

the mech-importer script didn't seem to accomodate that change.

I used powershell to remove the _out from all the models, and re-ran the importer script. it's working now, at least for the wolfhound

*edit*

can confirm that it's working for all other models I had left to convert

Edited by Kantas, 23 April 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#1863 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostKantas, on 23 April 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

I'm looking at this again, focusing on the Wolfhound.

There seems to be an issue with the output from the CGF converter. All my wolfhound .obj files had _out appended.

IE:
wlf_right_torso_ppc_eh1.obj was created from the converter as wlf_right_torso_ppc_eh1_out.obj

Please add "-allowconflict" to the arguments at the command line for cgf-converter. I thought I made the default to not need it, but maybe I haven't finished that build yet. Sorry for the confusion. :(

#1864 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Kantas. This is what I used to clean up the files (tested on the crab before doing it to all at once) and I got it to import properly.
get-childItem '*_out.obj' | rename-item -newname { $_.name -replace '_out.obj','.obj' }
get-childItem '*_out.mtl' | rename-item -newname { $_.name -replace '_out.mtl','.mtl' }

#1865 Kantas

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostSeijin Dinger, on 23 April 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Thanks Kantas. This is what I used to clean up the files (tested on the crab before doing it to all at once) and I got it to import properly.
get-childItem '*_out.obj' | rename-item -newname { $_.name -replace '_out.obj','.obj' }
get-childItem '*_out.mtl' | rename-item -newname { $_.name -replace '_out.mtl','.mtl' }

I did similar, but i just went with "_out." to "."

On a side note... these models are a pain to get ready for 3d printing!! at least, they are for a novice to 3d modelling... I'm learning alot about how to properly prep models for printing though.

#1866 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostKantas, on 23 April 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

I did similar, but i just went with "_out." to "."

On a side note... these models are a pain to get ready for 3d printing!! at least, they are for a novice to 3d modelling... I'm learning alot about how to properly prep models for printing though.

Thanks, I will update the script in my document (was having trouble figuring how to do both sets at once)

And I figure they are a pain, its all learning for me

#1867 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for all the help. I have now got all the imports done into Blender, though some of the textures didnt load properly on a few, Im sure it is probably an easy fix.

#1868 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

This was by far the biggest offender of the texture not loading
Posted Image

#1869 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:18 AM

That's just the WHM-YETI, a special variant with special camouflage on arctic maps.

#1870 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

MGA storm meadow.
Posted Image
Rendering all that grass and trees realy makes the blender file big and slow.

Edited by mad kat, 28 April 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#1871 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

Came across 1 or 2 more small errors
The atlas's eyes dont seem to want to work right, but not a big deal,
and the lasers on the arms seem to have picked up some of the texture for PPCs
Posted Image

The bigger of the issues was with the Griffin.
The Right Torso PPC, and Left Arm (all weapons) seem to not like the variant material
Posted Image

#1872 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

If the variant material doesn't work, try the regular body one. The mappings are assumed based off the object name (if it has a weapon name, it tries to use variant), and it's not always accurate.

#1873 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

Will try that with the Atlas after work. And just looked up the Griffin, the untextured segments can only used on the hero mech, so I will load those textures after work to see how it looks (at least I already have the hero mech textures sorted by mech)

#1874 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:04 AM

Is it at all possible to make a Marauder with an AC10 that doesn't use the AC20 mesh? Or a KGC-Kaiju like Bishop Steiner designed, (ie: with 2 SRM4 in each claw, a twin PPC right shoulder, and a Gauss on left shoulder.)

#1875 Krellshand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hmm, maybe someone can help me.

I converted all files by dran and drop for the converter.exe because powersheel just won´t find files otherwise.

Now, I have a file system set up like this

F:zzvindicator - here are all the files from the Vindicator I want to use. it contains

F:zzvindicatorbody with all the dds files.

Now I copied the mech-converter.ps1 to F:zzvindicator and run it. I have to write .mech-converter.ps1 to get Powershell to run it at all, but I get an error then:

get-content : Cannot find path 'F:zzVindicatorobjectsmechsvindicatorbodyvindicator_body.mtl' because it does
not exist.
At F:zzvindicatormech-importer.ps1:121 char:17
+ [xml]$matfile = get-content ("$basedir$modeldirbody$mech" + "_body.mtl")
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (F:zzVindicato...icator_body.mtl:String) [Get-Content], ItemNotFoundEx
ception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand

Get-Content : Cannot find path
'F:zzVindicatorobjectsmechsvindicatorcockpit_standardvindicator_a_cockpit_standard.mtl' because it does not
exist.
At F:zzvindicatormech-importer.ps1:122 char:24
+ [xml]$matcockpitfile = Get-Content ("$basedir$modeldircockpit_standard$mech" ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (F:zzVindicato...it_standard.mtl:String) [Get-Content], ItemNotFoundEx
ception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand

I changed the path in the *ps1 file to $basedir = "f:\zz\Vindicator" but I seem to miss sth. Can you help me with this?

-------------------------------------------

Edit

Now I seem to have no error in mech importer anymore, but now it won't load the mech in blender - at all.
Udes the import.txt and the python console, but nada. Jeez, complicated :P

Edited by Krellshand, 04 May 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#1876 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

You have to maintain the original Cryengine directory structure. There are shared components all over the place so don't try to grab individual mechs. Extract the pak files into their original locations (\Object, \Textures, etc) and try it again.

#1877 Raubwurst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:33 AM

Greetings, great thread! Have looked through the first video (using unity, thus not looked through everything till now). I'm looking for the model of the Leopards, couldn't figure out where it is (found the 'Mechs, but not them).

Does anyone of you know in which PAK it is located?

#1878 Volt

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:18 AM

@Heffay & @Seijin Dinger

Thanks for the turorials and tips!

I've managed to extract the Clan 'mechs and applied the Invader Clan textures in 3ds Max. I've started working on rigging on Max but it's not as straightforward as the video tutorial on blender so it's taking me much longer.

Quick question, how do I extract just the LOD parts so I can make papercrafts out of them? I tried removing the highpoly versions in the body folder before runing mech-importer.ps1 but the script does not appear to load them on blender.

#1879 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

The script won't process the LOD parts, since it's looking for an exact name match for the full resolution part. It would take some editing of the mech-importer to handle the LODs. Well... it might just need a strategically placed asterisk, but not really sure.

#1880 Volt

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

hmm... as I feared. is there a script in powershell that I can use to remove the "_LOD*" from the filename and then run the scripts on those? I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to Powershell, didn't even know my Win10 came with one til I read your posts.

EDIT: oop nevermind, got it! i used the string from your 1st video that changes cga to cgf to delete the _LOD1 to _LOD3 in batches! thanks again!!!

EDITagain: okay, it worked but the coordinates were all wrong :( looks like i'll have to manually load each part and then center them on the bone to get the correct position and orientation...

Edited by Volt, 11 May 2016 - 03:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users