Guilty Pleasure Battlemechs

160 replies to this topic

#1 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

I thought it'd be interesting to see what kinds of mechs people find are their guilty pleasures, their secret favorites. Anyone can field a Mad Cat and call it a favorite, but is it really? What about that time you tried out a Solitaire, or a Thunder, and you found, to your surprise, that it seemed to scratch that second-line, non-Omni itch just right? And that you find yourself gravitating to these less-than-mainstream mechs, just because they ARE different, and you used them in some creative ways?

So what do you all think? Care to share? I'll toss out a few of mine here as a starter.

Vixen/Incubus second-line Clan 'mech. It might not be the strongest 30 tonner, or the fastest light, but the moment I tried this little gem out in a TT fight, I knew it was going on my roster of favorite mechs.

Canis second-line Clan 'mech. I was impressed with how long this one survived a straight on firefight against my friend. It ran a bit hot, but with some skill, you can really bring the hurt-on. Those jumpjets are wonderfully effective in urban maps, giving you a nice capability to pass from building to building and rain pain. Also, I like its look. Very dense and tough.

Cerberus Inner Sphere 'mech. Twin gauss, 4 Med pulse (that hide behind blast-shields when not in use! How many mechs have that? 5?), an AMS and two back-firing machineguns. I can't count the number of clan mechs I sent to the scrapyard with this big bruiser. Slugging it out with other 100 tonners, it STILL came out on top. One of my favorite flagship mechs. I still say that, using optional rules, the twin machineguns and the AMS should be able to do 360 rotation due to their being on the tops of the shoulders and the top of the head. But that's just me.

Alright that's enough of mine.

Now, what are YOURS?

#2 Vvenn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

I used to love to use the Victor in the pip game. There was something sweet about a 80ton death from above and an AC 20.

#3 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

my personal favorite mech is the black knight, not the most common laser boat, or even 75 tonner, but extremely effective. It even gets a hatchet in later versions. also ALL HAIL THE URBANMECH.

#4 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

Bushwacker was kinda cool playing MW4 Mercs, probably never wood have used it if it wasn't in the tutorial level + your first freebie in game.

Daishi is my favorite. I like how autocannons work in that game a lot. I put big ones in the arms and made godzilla sounds in my head as I fired it off.

#5 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

I always had a secret (and probably semi-irrational) love of the Hatamoto-Chi. I remember making a model of him with two hands and two swords (played as hatchets originally, later swords) from other model parts. Of course those were in addition to other (probably Clan tech) weapons, including Clan PPCs. I was big into PPCs in when I played TT when I was younger.

It wasn't the most powerful mech ever, but I really liked the look of the model, and it had it's uses as a close-range mech. :)

Now that I think about it -- I never did get to actually painting that model...

Edited by HighTest, 20 December 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#6 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I have recently fallen in love with the Gallowglas. It doesn't really stand out in any area, but it is a decently well armored jumping heavy with an pulse load out for jump-brawling, as well as a single ER PPC to reach out and touch someone as you close. I used to love Grasshoppers in 3025 games, but the level 2 tech upgrades to it never quite did it for me. The Gallowglas fills that role for me.

#7 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Those are some great choices! I'm kind of disappointed that only a handful of people felt the urge to post theirs here, but there's little I can do about that. I suppose I kinda alienated a whole hell of a lot of people by mentioning that anyone can field a Mad Cat.

Probably, the response to that was 'But I LIKE the Mad Cat! What's wrong with that??" Answer: Nothing's wrong with that. But the Mad Cat is so common and so bloody too perfectly balanced in its designs (heat, armour, weapons payload, variability of said payloads), and everyone's put them on their team at least once a battle to balance out their other mechs, that I personally find it a mark of shame. If you need to field a Mad Cat, do so, but don't expect people to think of you with respect. It's just 'oh look yet another Mad Cat. What's the pilot's name? No surprise here; Aidan Pryde. (or a variation there of)"

Other Omnis require skill to field, like using the Dasher (and sheer luck not to get pegged), or a Warhawk (big damage for ultra high heat.), but the Mad Cat is just too balanced for my tastes.

I sort of hope by posting in my topic again, I can get some more responses, and people's favorite 'other' mechs. Can't just be us six.

#8 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've been playing Megamek a bit, and there are a few Cicada variants with Jump Jets that jump really far. 8 Hexes, I believe, was the jump distance. Those were fun to use at least. Can't say there are guilty pleasure, though,see no reason to feel guilty about it.

#9 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostKalebFenoir, on 23 December 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

I suppose I kinda alienated a whole hell of a lot of people by mentioning that anyone can field a Mad Cat.

Mad Cat was probably the first battlemech I remember seeing as a little kid. I can't help but admit it is one of my favorites. Some other favorites of mine included the Mad Dog, Uller and Black Hawk. The Mad Dog because it was like a condensed version of the Mad Cat. The Uller and Black Hawk for their unusual yet practical design.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 23 December 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#10 Bommer

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 83 posts
  • LocationTacoma, Washington

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

My favorite has been, and always will be the Rifleman. I love being able to snipe from a distance, and seeing targets just plain blow up !

#11 Lagfest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn a Mech

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Im a big fan of the Leigonaire.
That and the Blade.

Something about fast, nimble mechs with a big spinnin gun o hurt.

On the clan side, the Deimos prime. the ultimate sniper mech. 6 UAC/2s

#12 darkfall13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Has to be the Adder/Puma for me. Something about the allure of a turtle/bug-shaped light mech with PPCs gets to me.

#13 Qrion

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Dervish, maybe. The bizarre hands with the SRM-2s. Oh hey, here it is: I'm a big fan of the 3025 Charger. I love running up and doing physicals all over the place, and pew-pewing till my heart is filled with joy.

#14 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

IS light: Cossack and garm
IS med.: sentinel and Huron warrior
IS hvy.: shugenja and war dog
IS assault.: gunslinger and nightstar

Clan light: adder and mandrill
Clan med.: black lander and battle cobra
Clan hvy.: bowman and linebacker
Clan assault.: Turkina and kingfisher

#15 Teqnologyque

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMilky-Way Galaxy

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Black-Lanner

It's a great little mech with decent armour, amazing speed and middling Fire-Power (Prime Variant, any-way...). And with some work and love you can turn it into a truly amazing piece of equipment.

#16 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostTeqnologyque, on 24 December 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Black-Lanner

It's a great little mech with decent armour, amazing speed and middling Fire-Power (Prime Variant, any-way...). And with some work and love you can turn it into a truly amazing piece of equipment.

That's awesome. I've always considered using the Black Lanner as one of my mechs, but never found a battle I wanted to use it in. I sorta wished they'd done something different for its art design though, because it always looked like someone took a Vulture/Mad Dog, and squished its dimensions vertically while pulling them horizontally on the X and Z axes. It still looks cool, but it looks like a short squat and fat Vulture to me, which ruins its appeal a little by making it seem like another mech. (though this might be intentional by the designers; fool IFF readers)

#17 SGT Puddles

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 60 posts
  • LocationNewport News, VA, US, Terra

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

He said guilty pleasure mech dang it, stop listing good mechs.

I love

The ac 20 urbie
the 2 act clint
the piranha
5 small laser charger
the madcat varient with 2 rear mounted streak 6s
every mech vehicle or aircraft with arrow IV
the mechbuster
inferno srm infantry
the packrat
the firestarter
the panther even the erppc one
the tag version of the ostscout
i even love the boomerang

for the most part i hate the very mech that begins with ost except the one
hate the hermies
but no mech makes me nerdrage more than the stilletto.....why do you need 10 double heatsinks for a pair of streak 2s and an lrm 5, gah it makes no sense dang lyrians have money to burn aparently

#18 CarnageINC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm not a big fan of WOB mechs, absolutely hate most....but I must admit I'm smitten about the Toyama :D . I've played it a few times in my TT games and love the design. For a 75 Tonner you get all the goodies at all ranges plus its 14 DHS helps a lot with heat. The armor's not great and it does have a XL engine in it ;) . But I've been lucky with it.

I also have a crush on the Penetrator, can't handle the heat but it sure is fun with all those pulse lasers :)

#19 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

I love this thread, weeds out the ZOMG MADCATZ plebes from gen. Disco.

#20 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostSurtr, on 25 December 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

I love this thread, weeds out the ZOMG MADCATZ plebes from gen. Disco.

Oh, hi there. I feel this sig belongs to you. :(

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 25 December 2012 - 08:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users