Tabletop Miniatures

23 replies to this topic

#1 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

As one among many tabletop players here, I'm wondering if PGI would ever consider commissioning miniatures through Iron Wind Metals (the producer of Battletech minis, as I'm sure you're aware) for tabletop use.

I realize that there may be all sorts of legal issues regarding this, but I'm sure I'm not alone in desiring your excellent looking designs for my game . . . so many great-looking designs, and that Stalker is just . . . well, it's just superb. You've got plenty on your plate too right now, so I'm asking if it's a possibility down the road.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Keep it up.

Cheers.

#2 salvucci91

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Chiming in !

#3 Witch

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

red 5 standing by

#4 THELONGSHANKS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostWitch, on 07 June 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

red 5 standing by

stabilize rear deflectors,
watch for enemy fighters
*peers ahead, eyes scanning the approaching battfield
:ph34r:

#5 Arikiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

I for one would love to see MW:O miniatures that can be used in Battletech. Maybe made out of high quality plastics.

#6 Smiffy

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

I second this motion...errr...1..2...3..4.........I 5TH this motion...yeah..thats right...

#7 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

So you want MW:O to put out Miniature of Mechs that you can already buy Miniatures of? I think Catalyst may have a problem with this.

Edited by Skylarr, 07 June 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#8 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

So you want MW:O to put out Miniature of Mechs that you can already buy Miniatures of? I think Catalyst may have a problem with this.

I doubt it since they don't make Minis, never know they might do a PDF TRO MWO (hows that for acronym chain). Iron wind metals... they would want to see a ROI, and are usually behind anyway.

#9 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

Not sure if i want that IWM make new models. Did you ever have taken a look at the Artwork of Mechs like
Titan II, Warlord, Thunderbolt II and what a crap they made of?

My new Barghest 4T is acceptable but nothing special - nothing in compare with the old RalPartha Thunderbolt Reseen, Bargehest 1T, Catapult

#10 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostIan, on 07 June 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

I doubt it since they don't make Minis, never know they might do a PDF TRO MWO (hows that for acronym chain). Iron wind metals... they would want to see a ROI, and are usually behind anyway.

There are already TROs out of the common mechs and there variants. If you want one with every posible configuation that that can be put together via their MechLab that book would be one really BIG book.

#11 LctRoyFokker

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationEverett,Wa

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

Ironwind Metals all ready have mintures fore every Battlemech that everyone is going to be playing and a heck of a lot more.

So they dont look exacty like the concept for MWO, I dont think there are going to be molding any. Maybe but not for awile, I remember finding
minitures I remember playing in MW4 Mercs, but it wasent for awile.

Edited by OARoyFokker, 07 June 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#12 Hairlok

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 42 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yeah like to see them as well, plastic would be good if there are anything like the bonus mechs in the box set......

but that means more painting ,,,god i hate painting

Edited by Hairlok, 07 June 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#13 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

The same problem exists for why IWM cannot make a MW4 Hellhound. The digital battletech IP, and all the art created, belong to Microsoft. This is a separate license from the board game and miniatures side. There would be paperwork involved, and paperwork is like kryptonite to time-strapped individuals/entities.

#14 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

Did someone mention something about a possible 3049 Clix?

So not TT size, but still cool if done well.

#15 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostSkylarr, on 07 June 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

That's why "business people" do these things called "partnerships." Is this trolling?

Catalyst links to MW:O on their links page; ever wonder why? Synergy (oh yeah, synergy) is good for business.

I read IP license contracts all day long, you know, for a living.

You did read the bit about "possible legal issues" in the initial post? I didn't ask them to pirate Battletech; I asked them if a future partnership might not be beneficial to all parties. You might imagine that MW:O is actually good for tabletop, or that a new line of excellent "MW:O edition" minis coming out of an established house might be profitable for everyone.

In this case, there's a marketing opportunity for three different parties: PGI; Catalyst; and Iron Wind Metals. It could be beneficial to these parties and to those of us who might be interested in purchasing the product of the partnership.

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 08 June 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#16 BadWolf

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

I would purchase a minitature figure (for display, I dont play the table-top) of a mech that comes with a code, which will unlock the same mech in-game.

#17 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostBadWolf, on 08 June 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

I would purchase a minitature figure (for display, I dont play the table-top) of a mech that comes with a code, which will unlock the same mech in-game.

Now that is interesting. There's an angle I hadn't even considered, thus a public forum, not a PM.

Also, to all you guys who are mentioning that minis already exist for these 'mechs, you understand that I linked to Iron Wind Metals in my first post, right? I might have considered this, yes? You do know that many of those minis currently available have gone through several "resculpts," several editions?

Does anyone out there actually prefer "Blimpie," their good old TT Stalker, to the design PGI just put out? :lol:

I'm looking for interest here, and interesting ideas, like what BadWolf just brought up, not for people who pretend they're lawyers or have silly worries, such as that their game won't come out on time because of a suggested future tertiary project.

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 08 June 2012 - 07:40 AM.

#18 Aero Slasher

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 07 June 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

The same problem exists for why IWM cannot make a MW4 Hellhound. The digital battletech IP, and all the art created, belong to Microsoft. This is a separate license from the board game and miniatures side. There would be paperwork involved, and paperwork is like kryptonite to time-strapped individuals/entities.

i hate paper work :lol:

#19 JazzySteel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 304 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationthe crater that used to be Black Mesa, dipping the last Oreo into the last glass of milk.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Oh yea, I'd buy one. What I really really want is a MW-scale Urbanmech

#20 Athena Hart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationHesperus II (Or Spanaway, Wa IRL)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

Must admit, would like to see mini's of MWO's 'mechs. They'd be a joy to paint, though they'd just be to look at as my buddy Joe has all my CBT Books as over half of them were his anyway and I just added mine to his and I haven't seen him in over 10 years. All I have now is the 3050 Technical Readout.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users