Petition To Pgi To Build A Battletech Single Player Game

322 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Player Game (1180 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Full blown Mech Warrior Single Player Campaign?

1. Yes (957 votes [81.10%])

Percentage of vote: 81.10%

2. No (223 votes [18.90%])

Percentage of vote: 18.90%

Would you pay for a "kick start" founders program to get them started?

1. Yes (810 votes [68.64%])

Percentage of vote: 68.64%

2. No (370 votes [31.36%])

Percentage of vote: 31.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

I believe the problem at the time was a lack of a willing publisher, PGI pitched the idea multiple times but none of them wanted to.

#42 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Although I'd like to play a solo campaign, my answer is a firm No; No, for trying everything at once means usually failing utterly.

Do the MMO-part, do it right, get it working best it can. Throw in another score of Mechs, put in different maps and faction warfare, do claninvasion etc etc - awful lot of real to do's before even thinking of a singleplayer campaign.

#43 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostRed squirrel, on 27 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

There just is something about single player that PvP and online gaming cannot replace.
A deep and immersive story that gives you the illusion to be the protagonist of a BT novel.

I agree that single player games also have lots of shortcomming and thus MWO is a great game.
But I just miss a good story driven single player experience.
I definitely do not see PvP replacing this. How could it possibly do that?

So yes single player is like reading a book. And there are some great books I've read more than once.
Also if the story line gives you options for alternative development and outcomes it is like an interactive novel.
Lots and lots of fun.

+1 on that. I still go over older games from time to time for replays, and in most cases it justs feels like its the first time. Would love to see a single player to this game for sure. :)

#44 Red squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostWizard Steve, on 28 December 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

Progress on the multiplayer game has been slow enough. I have no desire for PGI to be diverted from that to a single player campaign.

Then maybe read the OP again?
What it states is what to do AFTER MWO is gold plated and polished.

View PostBigPuma, on 28 December 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

Although I'd like to play a solo campaign, my answer is a firm No; No, for trying everything at once means usually failing utterly.

Do the MMO-part, do it right, get it working best it can. Throw in another score of Mechs, put in different maps and faction warfare, do claninvasion etc etc - awful lot of real to do's before even thinking of a singleplayer campaign.

And again I am shaken by the inability of forum user to read the opening post of a thread before replying.....I mean there are maybe 100 words - come on guys

View PostRed squirrel, on 27 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

This is obviously nothing that would happen in the near future. But I think such threads can encourage future work if the devs see how crazy we are about this.
So if you think "Yes, but only after MWO is finished" - vote yes.

Edited by Red squirrel, 28 December 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#45 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostRed squirrel, on 28 December 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

Fair comment.

But I'd still rather they concentrated on developing the online part of the game further. The story side of things can be developed through community warfare.

I have no interest in a single player campaign.

#46 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostWizard Steve, on 28 December 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

I have no interest in a single player campaign.

I guess I cannot change that (maybe give me your bank account information and I can bribe you?) :)

I really miss the story part in MWO. Altough I hope CW will be fun, it just cannot replace a deep and immersive story.
Imagine: 3025 - your homeworld get attacked and you are the only one to rescue your planet.
So you get into that old piece of scrap metal you inherited by your forefathers and start to rock the invading forces....
....dream on (and heck yes why not make it a 4 team lance coop game) :P

#47 Barghest Whelp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationIn a loophole

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

In all honesty I think it would be better if they introduced some PVE to this game. You know, as in players vs. NPS's. Could be more or less played like a campaign, only co-op. Or maybe even pit players against each other in a campaign style series of missions.

As a veteran gamer as I am, I've grown rather tired of killing endless waves of NPC's, and even more so going at it alone. Playing co-op makes it slightly more interesting, but playing vs. actual players is where it's at for me. That's why I've been playing MWO more or less non-stop since I learned of it's existance.

#48 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostRed squirrel, on 28 December 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

And again I am shaken by the inability of forum user to read the opening post of a thread before replying.....I mean there are maybe 100 words - come on guys

well, and now it's me to be shaken: when do you really expect something this size of a project with all of it's balancing and supporting needs really ever be "finished"? If you do it right, there will always remain a bunch of decisions to be made regarding adding more features/content/maps/gamemodes/whatever just around the next corner (which is also kind of needed to have some carrot at the end of the stick) versus going singleplayer campaign.

So in a totally perfect world with unlimited time and resources, yes of course, if it makes you happy - but on a reasonable 5-7-year livespan: never ever.

#49 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

Why would you possibly want PGI to handle a single player campaign. What part of MWO leads you to believe that PGI have the competencies to turn out a nice, story driven mechwarrior game?

The license is in IGP's hands, they're also developing Mechwarrior Tactics (Roadhouse Interactive) http://mwtactics.com/

I wouldn't mind a veteran studio handling the singleplayer mechwarrior game under the IGP license. But PGI? No.

#50 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

honestly i'd love if they'd update the original mechwarrior. were you played as a merc to avenge a horrid action and had to balance realm loyalty and what not, it could make for a very dynamic game.

#51 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 28 December 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

Why would you possibly want PGI to handle a single player campaign. What part of MWO leads you to believe that PGI have the competencies to turn out a nice, story driven mechwarrior game?

I wouldn't mind a veteran studio handling the singleplayer mechwarrior game under the IGP license. But PGI? No.

You have the tools right here:

Cry Engine 3 SDK: http://mycryengine.com/

Blender for modelling: http://www.blender.org/

Gimp for textures: http://www.gimp.org/

All you need to start and everything's free of charge. Now make a game worth a damn.
Until then, you are just a bitching, clueless and ungrateful troll.

Edited by Adridos, 28 December 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#52 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 December 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

You have the tools right here:

Cry Engine 3 SDK: http://mycryengine.com/

Blender for modelling: http://www.blender.org/

Gimp for textures: http://www.gimp.org/

All you need to start and everything's free of charge. Now make a game worth a damn.
Until then, you are just a bitching, clueless and ungrateful troll.

Yes, clearly I have no right to criticize PGI because I'm not personally a Dev studio. What brilliant reasoning. Perhaps you should calm down a little first. The tone of my post may have set you off and I truly regret that. But, my point still stands. A competitive multiplayer shooter is nothing like a single player, story driven campaign.

They've done a less than stellar job with MWO, that's my opinion. You remember those, opinions? And the OP asked for my opinion and I gave it. You're free to disagree but you may not question my right to criticize.

#53 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

Do you mean that trailer from MW Reboot?
It's awesome.

:lol: :ph34r:

#54 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 28 December 2012 - 04:56 AM, said:

Yes, clearly I have no right to criticize PGI because I'm not personally a Dev studio. A competitive multiplayer shooter is nothing like a single player, story driven campaign.

You're free to disagree but you may not question my right to criticize.

You don't hvae to be a developer studio in one person to make a game. And I never implied you can't have some help, either. But if you want a SP game so much and are stubborn about PGI not doing it, then you're free to choose the way MW:LL devs took and create the game yourself.

Then you'e criticizing PGI for MW:O's shortcommings which are all MP related. The fact you've never seen a SP game from them besides that initial trailer and yet you absolutely write them off as developers is plain stupid.

Lastly, there is a line between constructive criticism and plain ignorance. You crossed that line.

#55 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 December 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Lastly, there is a line between constructive criticism and plain ignorance. You crossed that line.

Based on what? I wasn't going for constructive criticism anyway. This is an entirely hypothetical situation. I believe that PGI have flubbed MWO. Why should I then feel that they should be the ones to do a singleplayer campaign. Sounds disconnected.

I have also checked out their previous titles, none of which led me to believe they would be a good fit for a singleplayer campaign in the MWverse. I'm not sure why you think this crosses a 'line'. And what ignorance was I displaying? What nugget of information do you have that would indicate otherwise?

#56 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 28 December 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

Do you mean that trailer from MW Reboot?
It's awesome.

:lol: :ph34r:

I think we talk about the same:

#57 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

I want a single player campaign so I don't get killed by real players all the time!

#58 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 28 December 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Based on what? I wasn't going for constructive criticism anyway. This is an entirely hypothetical situation. I believe that PGI have flubbed MWO. Why should I then feel that they should be the ones to do a singleplayer campaign. Sounds disconnected.

I have also checked out their previous titles, none of which led me to believe they would be a good fit for a singleplayer campaign in the MWverse. I'm not sure why you think this crosses a 'line'. And what ignorance was I displaying? What nugget of information do you have that would indicate otherwise?

I can really understand your frustration with PGI. Moreover Duke Nukem Forever as their "flagship" product isn't the best advertisement either.
But then this thread is about whether people want a single player MW game and not an evaluation of PGI. This can be done in it's own thread.

So yes I want a story driven MW single player game no matter which company makes it.

#59 sabotssnake

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

I agree with most of the sentiment that there should be / or have had a single player element introduced, afterall the campaign has always been an integral part of the Battletech videogame experience. How hard PGI tried to gain interest in MW5 is debateable. They could have found themselves out of their depth trying to make it work and opted for the simpler online approach, or they genuinely failed to find any publishers willing to take the game on. Only the PGI staff know what really happened and they won't tell. I personally believe that going the PvP route only was a mistake. Previous Mechwarrior video games have succeeded because they gave the player options on how they could experience the Battletech universe - either through a single campaign that told a story the player became apart of, or the competetive online experience of mech battles. Unfortunately MWO pidgeon holes any potential player of the game into the PvP side of things without any immersive background on what Battletech and Mechwarrior is all about.

For me Mechwarrior as an IP, franchise, brand name etc, has always been the tabletop RPG that came out before the video games took the title 'Mechwarrior'. I often shake my head in frustration when tabletop purists demand closer adherence to tabletop rules for Mechwarrior Online. What you are asking for are Battletech rules not actual Mechwarrior RPG rules and they don't translate well into a game that is confused in what it is trying to be and who it is aimed at. Mechwarrior Living Legends at least give players the option of pilots other vehicles instead of mechs which is truer to the spirit of Mechwarrior the RPG than any other game bearing the name to date. As self professed fans of Mechwarrior, I would have expected PGI to have been more aware of the origins of Mechwarrior (and not simply cashing in on an unfortunately misrepresented title) and due to the reboot of the game actually introduced much more RPG elements such as avatar or character creation, skill and talent progression etc to give this game more immersion with its players. Something that would have ideally suited a single player campaign and what is more than what is currently available in MWO. PGI have always said that the Mechwarrior video game fanbase is extremely dedicated to the franchise. However fans of the same franchise often are so because of different elements in whatever they are fans of. This inevitably leads to many factions and conflicts in how a franchise should be handled - much like how PGI is becoming aware that their "view of the game as fans" is not the all encompassing one true vision of how other Mechwarrior fans see how this game should be made.

To be honest I haven't played since before the river city map was introduced, and MWO has been uninstalled. I found the gameplay terrible and the community equally so. Yes I'm a founder and yes I feel I have wasted my money. That aside I still pay attention to the forums just in case something comes along that may actually respark my interest in playing this game. So far there hasn't been anything - but a single player option for a campaign or even solo drops with bots would do it. While I seriously have little faith in PGI being willing or able to produce a fully realised single player campaign for MWO, a good alternative that has been mentioned many times before is just the ability to drop with bots similar to MW4's multiplayer option, Call of Duty's training matches, and even Mass Effect 3's multiplayer where you can play solo. This would use game assets already available and would eliminate 99% of all the problems MWO currently has... other players. Yep, no other players and you would eliminate all the associated problems of DCs, AFKs, Pugs v Premades, hackers, greifers, spoliers, and the list goes on. For the longevity of MWO choice of how to play needs to be introduced. I've been playing Mw4 Mercs again and I have to pose the question why do I do so after nearly a decade of the same thing, play the same game (campaign and bot matches) with no FarCry3 graphics, no ingame cash rewards, no incentive or advancement and no bobbleheads? That's the magic answer that PGI has not found with MWO. I'll still be playing MW4 for years to come, MWO will just be a bad memory. Appeal to more groups of Mechwarrior fans instead of favouring one over the other or MWO will simply continue to be averagely bad at best.

On a side note somethiing I feel PGI should have done when they went public with their intention for MWO is to have had something like a new FMV video or trailer akin to that of the defunct MW5 trailer to generate interest in the game. Take Hawken for example. One of the good things about what they have done is get some director onboard to produce a series of web episodes about the game. Whether you like or hate Hawken, you shoul be able to admit the trailer for this series does look exceptional, with good CGI and a potentially high production value. They also have a comic book prequel in the works and all this give prospective players more background about the hawken world and the ability to act a marketing and immersion tool. Although buried somewhere in the forums is a description of what Battletech is all about with the various houses etc, not many people new to the franchise will be bothered to find it. The founders mech videos where cheap and unfortunately only appealed to the nerd MW fan already interested in the game. Using all the techno speak stats for the mechs and stuff really limits its potential audience. PGI really need to think about doing something along the lines of an epic trailer that briefly details the battletech universe, the houses and their history, and of course mechs. Especially if they want attract players for community warfare and get them interested in just why they are fighting for a particular faction if CW ever actually arrives. Remember the opening sequences for the previous MW games? That's what is needed.

#60 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

Best encouragement would be to buy some MC instead of having an expectation a poll will be sufficiently representative to earn favour.

It's a classic expression but "money talks", and the sooner the core game gets the developed the better the chance of seeing any kind of rpg or single player element to it, for which it has already been announced as something they will consider.

Doesn't need an unrepresentative petition every 5 mins either, as truth be told I would consider water torture as less effective than cash.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users