How Can We Make The Awesome Unique?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

So I love the Awesome in all of its glory with its nice shiny PPC's (even though they aren't the best at the moment).

The only thing is it's lacking in this game so far. Yes it's naturally going to be weaker then the Stalker, I'm not saying it should be stronger or just as strong, but here are the issues I have currently.

1. It's an 80 ton mech but its slow as dirt.. :D

2. The hit box for the center torso might as well be a giant bulls eye. Example would be if you aim at its left or right torso there's a higher probability then other mechs to get your center torso to get damaged. I would say PGI should make the hit chance equal to all left right and center.

3. Possibly put an ECM(I do think they need to be fix but not necessarily overpowered) on a hero variant in the future.

What do you guys/girls think? ;)

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

It is unique in that it has a giant head AND torso hit box.

Oh you meant something advantageous..... ;)

#3 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostDavers, on 30 December 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

It is unique in that it has a giant head AND torso hit box.

Oh you meant something advantageous..... ;)

Gota love the sarcasm lol. But yes. :D

#4 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

A smaller CT hitbox would go a long way towards making the Awesome...awesome.

Making ppcs act like energy weapons and not ballistic will also help.

#5 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

the incoming ppc buff (heat lowered) should make things easier for the awesome.

....MOAR PPC's !

#6 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Previously, the awesome had the ability to pack a large engine, and move at speeds which were very fast for an assault. The engine caps removed that distinction for all of them besides the 9m, which sadly has terrible hard point locations.

#7 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

Any kind of lowered heat for energy weapons helps the 8Q. And the 4P Hunchback. and the Jenner-K.

As for Awesome specific buffs, not sure.

Haven't really played an Awesome since the engine rating limit.

#8 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

The engine limit of 290 is really bad for the non 9m AWS's imo, maybe let it go to 325 or something like that just a bit more mobility and torso flexing would go a long way.

Else wise I don't think they will remake the model, because of all the work with the textures etc. otoh I have no idea about this stuff and maybe its not that complicated at all. A slightly slimmer torso and less "stubbiness" would help as well.

Found this pic on these forums (just for comparison how stubby the MWO Awesome looks):
Posted Image

#9 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostTaizan, on 30 December 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

The engine limit of 290 is really bad for the non 9m AWS's imo, maybe let it go to 325 or something like that just a bit more mobility and torso flexing would go a long way.

Else wise I don't think they will remake the model, because of all the work with the textures etc. otoh I have no idea about this stuff and maybe its not that complicated at all. A slightly slimmer torso and less "stubbiness" would help as well.

Found this pic on these forums (just for comparison how stubby the MWO Awesome looks):
Posted Image

I always rather liked the original look of the Awesome. Far more imposing and not a stubby little thing like the 3D model in MWO.

#10 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 30 December 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

the incoming ppc buff (heat lowered) should make things easier for the awesome.

Can't disagree with you more.

Increase the damage. Stop the damage spread. Get rid of the crappy ballistics.(ITS AN ENERGY WEAPON!!), and add the EMP effect and we'll talk.

"Why would you make a crappy awesome with 3 crappy ppcs?"

Is what my team asks me. Lets fix that.

#11 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Sized hardpoints like in MW4...

But everyone b****ed about that so much.

A PPC buff won't help the Awesome more than it will help any other mech. Hardpoints aren't sized, so a Stalker will handle PPCs better than an Awesome would.

Edited by verybad, 30 December 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#12 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Not sure how you folks think buffing ppcs will help the awesome, when a stalker can carry even more ppcs.

On some level, the tonnage of mechs needs to matter, and the awesome probably needs to have its engine cap raised.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostTaizan, on 30 December 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

Well, preferences are subjective, but here is the original 3025 art, side by side with the MWO version for contrast
Posted Image
and some stock art
Posted Image

For some reason the Miniature and some of the mid 90s art went for the skinny look. Personally, I find it much less imposing, but that is my tastes.

View PostRoland, on 30 December 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Not sure how you folks think buffing ppcs will help the awesome, when a stalker can carry even more ppcs.

On some level, the tonnage of mechs needs to matter, and the awesome probably needs to have its engine cap raised.

Because the Stalker is dogmeat at close engagement due to it's utter inability to turn/torso twist with ANY speed. The Awesome is much more "agile" and the arms give it the ability to aim and direct fire in a manner the Stalker can't hope to compare with.

Both have their place in the game, but the Stalker is best suited when it has plenty of support, and doesn't have to pretend to be mobile. An Awesome is much more "pilotable", and better able to deal with faster attackers. Many of the best advantages of Mechs are visible comparing hardpoint to hardpoint, as it were.

I will agree the proposed PPC buff does nearly nothing to aid the Awesome or any other mech though. And forget the little fancy emp stuff, the PPCs of Canon never had "special effects". Sure let my comm crackle some from em interference, but to be running fusion reactors, the mechs are going to be using hardened and shielded electronics anyhow.

And forget "buffing" the damage. Just make them properly hitscan, and actually make the damage consistently FOCUSED, and PPCs, in ANY design, become truly viable again. Though I would prefer to have a 4-5 second cooldown on them, TBH, which would solve the heat issue much more elegantly than the ***** proposal at hand.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 30 December 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#14 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I prefer stocky looking mechs.

Or less "Japanese" type mechs. So I like MWO's awesome. I like their art style for all the mechs. They all look robust enough for war.

Anyway, I think the awesome should be given their speed back. Would help a lot with them being a walking cardboard box.

#15 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Because the Stalker is dogmeat at close engagement due to it's utter inability to turn/torso twist with ANY speed. The Awesome is much more "agile" and the arms give it the ability to aim and direct fire in a manner the Stalker can't hope to compare with.

Well, the 3F has almost a 90 degree torso twist to either side, which is certainly good enough to brawl with if the need arises. It's not really designed for that, but then again, neither is the Awesome.

Additionally, if we're talking about using PPC's, then your argument becomes fairly moot, given their minimum range.

Indeed, the stalker actually has a few advantages when it comes to dealing with close range combat and directing its weapons:
1) The stalker can put 4 energy weapons into its arms. Only one of the Awesome variants can do this. This means that compared to most of the awesome variants, the Stalker variants are generally BETTER when it comes to firing arcs for most of its weapons.

2) The stalker can carry a ton of PPC's, while also carrying a ton of SRMS. The awesome tends to have to choose one or the other. The awesome tends to lose close range engagements to the stalker for this reason.

The reality is, you see a lot more stalkers on the field, compared to awesomes.. because, with the current mechanisms for balancing teams (or lack thereof), an awesome gets not benefit for being lighter than other assaults. Ultimately, it just ends up being worse.

And bear in mind here... I actually like the awesome. I've piloted all of them, and prior to the engine speed cap, it was one of my favorite mechs.

But that's the current problem with the awesome... the engine speed cap removes the one role at which it really excelled... that being a very fast assault mech.

The 9M can still do this role, and as such, is still a decent mech.. although, as I pointed out above, its hardpoint locations are freaking TERRIBLE. Seriously, PGI, do not EVER put 4 hardpoints in the CT of a mech. WTF is with that garbage? I still have a couple of decent configs I run with the 9M, but if I were actually able to leverage the hardpoints on that mech, I could come up with some much more useful configurations.

That being said, without any kind of tonnage restrictions, even the 9m ends up being kind of dead weight... because there are Atlases and Stalkers which are essentially just better than the Awesome. If that 15 tons difference between an Awesome and an Atlas actually meant something, then perhaps you'd see more Awesomes on the field... but as it is, me... folks will generally just bring an Atlas DC or something like that.

#16 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 December 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

Well, the 3F has almost a 90 degree torso twist to either side, which is certainly good enough to brawl with if the need arises. It's not really designed for that, but then again, neither is the Awesome.

Additionally, if we're talking about using PPC's, then your argument becomes fairly moot, given their minimum range.

Indeed, the stalker actually has a few advantages when it comes to dealing with close range combat and directing its weapons:
1) The stalker can put 4 energy weapons into its arms. Only one of the Awesome variants can do this. This means that compared to most of the awesome variants, the Stalker variants are generally BETTER when it comes to firing arcs for most of its weapons.

2) The stalker can carry a ton of PPC's, while also carrying a ton of SRMS. The awesome tends to have to choose one or the other. The awesome tends to lose close range engagements to the stalker for this reason.

The reality is, you see a lot more stalkers on the field, compared to awesomes.. because, with the current mechanisms for balancing teams (or lack thereof), an awesome gets not benefit for being lighter than other assaults. Ultimately, it just ends up being worse.

And bear in mind here... I actually like the awesome. I've piloted all of them, and prior to the engine speed cap, it was one of my favorite mechs.

But that's the current problem with the awesome... the engine speed cap removes the one role at which it really excelled... that being a very fast assault mech.

The 9M can still do this role, and as such, is still a decent mech.. although, as I pointed out above, its hardpoint locations are freaking TERRIBLE. Seriously, PGI, do not EVER put 4 hardpoints in the CT of a mech. WTF is with that garbage? I still have a couple of decent configs I run with the 9M, but if I were actually able to leverage the hardpoints on that mech, I could come up with some much more useful configurations.

That being said, without any kind of tonnage restrictions, even the 9m ends up being kind of dead weight... because there are Atlases and Stalkers which are essentially just better than the Awesome. If that 15 tons difference between an Awesome and an Atlas actually meant something, then perhaps you'd see more Awesomes on the field... but as it is, me... folks will generally just bring an Atlas DC or something like that.

I couldn't really agree more. In loved how mobile the Awesome was in mw4 even though that is a bit too fast, 83kph, but I would still like the mobility more then firepower.

#17 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

How about the torso twist of the Catapult, or at least the torso twist of the Hunchback? This could make it very good at fighting lighter mechs. Unfortunately, that's overall more the trait for a brawler, not the trait for a direct or indirect fire support mech. For these roles, the only help could be ECM and better energy weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users