9 replies to this topic

#1 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Have a cicada build that might actually be a viable choice for it.... played a few games, usually average around 400 damage with it.

CDA-3C

Endo Steel, FF armor, XL200 engine, 10 STD heatsinks

2x UAC-5 w/ 4 tons ammo in legs
Medium Laser

197/274 armor, arms left without any armor.

Runs at 81 KPH, so its about as fast as other mediums. If they ever put in weight limits for drops, this might be a nice choice for a medium.

#2 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

Ok, that sounds really fun. I guess you'd play it as a fire support mech that does a lot more damage than one would expect? The armor is a little worrying, though.

#3 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Sorry mate,but this is rather not going to work.

You have lesser armor than each properly build light mech.
At the same time you are a way slower than them,as well as not being significally faster than most of the heavy brawlers.Not to mention the medium ones.
You rely on unreliable weapons like UAC5.In case they jam you have neither armor to wait in brawl for unjam,nor speed to run away to wait for unjam.And one medium laser won't change your odds much.

How do you expect to stand against well ex few my mechs:
Jenner D - 232 armor,132,6 km/h,2 medium pulses + 2 medium + 2 SSRM2
Hunchback 4SP - 320 armor, 89,1 km/h ,3 medium + 2 medium pulses + 2 SSRM2
Hunchback 4G - 320 armor, 71 km,h, 4 medium + AC20 (well,here you have a slight speed advantage)
Cat A1 - 416 armor, 82,2 km/h,4 SSRM2 + 2 LRM15
Cataphract 2x - 432 armor, 82,7 km/h, 3 mediums + AC10 + 2 Artemis SRM6

#4 SPencil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 763 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

A nice idea but I wouldn't think it'd last too long. Rapid-fire ballistics is a very good way to attract attention to yourself, and what attention you get you might not like.

With speed tweak, my HBK-4SP is running at over 90 Km/h, (for the record, STD-260, 4-MLs, 2-SRM6s+A) will eventually outpace you and give an atomic hug. BLB's Cataphract is running faster then it

So to keep the dual UAC/5s, you'll need to go a lot faster, or have more armor. Since the Cicada doesn't have too much armor I'd recommend a bigger engine, but I don't know how viable that is for you.

The Cicada is a light mech but with a fatter a**, and speed = survivability for them.

#5 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

god this mech is a piece of ****. you basically have to play it like a medium, but ballistics are too heavy to have enough on a 40 ton mech to do anything. and with 4 ballistic and one laser as the hardpoints you either end up with a mech with average punch but moves slower than assaults, or a mech that moves like a light but has 1 ppc. either case you'll get ***** by literally every other mech in the game.

Edited by Broceratops, 09 January 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#6 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I am all up for fun builds

but i could give my Illya Muromet an XL 340 , 3 UAC/5 , 2 Med Laser and would run almost as fast (78,7 KPH without Speed Tweak) with more than twice the armor.

Talking Medium a dual UAC/5 Yen Lo Wang is faster with more armor.

An 80t AWS-9M can run at 78 KPH.

#7 Eisenhorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

I still think this build has potential if they ever get around to limiting weights on drops... but for now, yea, the Yen-Lo-Wang or Hunchback are better for dual UAC-5 configs.

#8 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:59 AM

I would advice against using UAC5's on the 3C. As said, you only have so much available tonnage, and the UAC5 do a bit more damage than the regular AC5, its not worth the extra ton the UAC brings to the table for that bit more damage.
Also the UAC dont really benefit from the 3C quirks... Only the ballistic velocity quirk really applies to the UAC5.

I run my 3C with an ERPPC and an AC5 (4 ton ammo), XL200 (inventory - speed is tweaked 89.1)), double heatsinks, standard armor and endosteel. I also have the AC5 cooldown module.
I have had a game today where I scored over 1000 damage with this build. I had spend all my ac5 ammo though. Thats 120 rounds...
Switch to the regular AC5's, that frees up 2 ton that you can use elsewhere like in a slightly bigger engine, a medium pulse laser or a bit more ammo or some more armor and ammo... But still, 2 AC5's eat through their ammo supply rather fast... Thats why I only use 1 coupled with the erppc.
I call my Cicada 3C the "Doombringer". :D

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:13 AM

If you're going to be packing big ballistics on a CDA, you might as well go big...

Boomcada

Honestly, about the only other thing the CDA-3C does is go with a single ERPPC and load the rest of the space with DHS. And even then, the CDA-3F can at least poptart with its bazillions of JJs.

#10 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

The BJ-3 can mount dual UACs, and it works pretty well. This certainly looks like a fun, if not hyper-effective build.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users