Ask The Devs 29A - Answers!

286 replies to this topic

#41 Kill3rAce

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Garth you need to stop dodging the question we all want the answer too. Now answer our questions about ECM. I love this system of asking questions and getting answers but it is a shame when you dodge the question that has the most likes by far of any other question on the thread.

#42 New Breed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostRyvucz, on 02 January 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Let me drop this off here for you ECM question guys-

http://www.pcgamer.c...t-mode-release/

Scroll to the bottom of the article for the ECM specific response.

That's cool..

until you read they say TAG is an ECM counter and you laugh.

#43 junkevil

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

ECM was already commented on:

"The effect [of ECM] is working as intended and forces players to play a lot smarter,” he said. “Specialized Mechs still have their place on the battlefield but they are going to need the assistance of their teammates to succeed. If you plan on taking specialized Mech into a match, plan wisely and have alternate weapon systems that will help you with mid to long-range combat. People are thinking we need to severely ‘nerf’ the ECM. This is not the case at all. There is already 1 counter-ECM item in the game (TAG), and likely there will be a couple more involving modules and weapon effects.”

and they're right. if your whole strategy was to build a streakcat or lrm boat and not teamplay, i'm not sorry about your loss. try playing the game with your team and building a better mech next time.

#44 New Breed

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postjunkevil, on 02 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

ECM was already commented on:

"The effect [of ECM] is working as intended and forces players to play a lot smarter,” he said. “Specialized Mechs still have their place on the battlefield but they are going to need the assistance of their teammates to succeed. If you plan on taking specialized Mech into a match, plan wisely and have alternate weapon systems that will help you with mid to long-range combat. People are thinking we need to severely ‘nerf’ the ECM. This is not the case at all. There is already 1 counter-ECM item in the game (TAG), and likely there will be a couple more involving modules and weapon effects.”

and they're right. if your whole strategy was to build a streakcat or lrm boat and not teamplay, i'm not sorry about your loss. try playing the game with your team and building a better mech next time.

TAG is not a counter, the whole statement is invalid

#45 junkevil

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostGhost Bear, on 02 January 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

TAG is not a counter, the whole statement is invalid

try aiming it? it works fine for me.

maybe you're thinking of NARC?

Edited by junkevil, 02 January 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#46 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

ECM?

#47 Xerik

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

I stopped relying on ECM after I encountered a couple different teams relying on TAG to counter my ECM. Seems to be working fine. Definitely there should be more than TAG that works, and also, I really really think if I hit someone with ECM with tag 80 meters away, at the very least "I" should be able to lock on to that target with my streaks.

Seems only fair?

#48 Raven IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I can confirm that TAG does counter ECM, but only for a few seconds, and must be held on target continuously (or for a long time) to actually work. Just tested a build today that used it, was only partially successful in getting a streak lock on an ECM mech...

#49 New Breed

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

View Postjunkevil, on 02 January 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

try aiming it? it works fine for me.

maybe you're thinking of NARC?

it has a limited range of use before it's useless

#50 Centagon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 02 January 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

How was this question just ignored?

Easy. Like this.

Next question.

#51 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

ITT: People complaining about something they already knew was going to be a waste of time considering all the other AtD have been exactly that.

History likes to repeat itself and PGI is reliable as ever when it comes to disappointment.

@Garth: Can you just stop already? Obviously these "Ask the Devs" aren't as successful as y'all first thought they would be (hmm sounds a lot like MWO, but I digress)

#52 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Don't turn this into another ECM thread. Jesus. The issue here isn't ECM.

The issue is that the developers purposefully ignored the question with by far the most community support behind it. Was it biased? Yes, but it was meant to make a point. There were (as stated above) 32 other ECM-related questions they could have answered.

I'd have been happy with a simple, "We're looking into making a few tweaks," or, "Shut up, you whiny ********; it's fine how it is." They needed to answer it though.

For the record, I don't give a **** about ECM. I think it's overpowered for what it is, but I don't think it's game-breaking. Either way, the community cared. The community would have appreciated a one-sentence response on ECM a whole lot more than hearing about Garth's 'mech and booze preferences.

That said, my prediction is either there'll be a Command Chair post about electronic warfare changes early next week or they're just trolling. Probably just trolling.

#53 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationdaytona Beach fl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostTolkien, on 02 January 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

It was still the most popular question by a factor of 8 for 3 weeks running, and had >200 + >80 likes in ATD29 and 29A respectively.

So hundreds of people people in the community were willing to put their name beside the question to say "please address this" and it was addressed with silence. I can only hope that this means they are preparing a response of some sort and want the 2nd attempt at ECM to go off better than this.

In the meantime I personally am dealing with it by fielding a streak COM2D and a laser+streak Raven 3L, both with ECM, and both very fast. Given that the ad for a lead network programmer is still up, I expect to get a few more months of lag shield out of them, and given that ECM mostly neutered the homing missiles that used to counter lights that would run in the open or circle strafe in line, it's a pretty effective build.

I encourage everyone to make the most of ECM while we have this great toy to play with. I feel bad for people like Warp103's son who spent dollars on a mech (I have 4 founders mechs gathering dust) that was 'game changed' by ECM.

I had a choice by more mech bays or get the hero for my son. I chose my son for a his Bday. As a new player and after watching me he had a good Idea how to play. So the llya was Like DAD DAD BEST GIFT EVER. Since ECM it dad can i sell it. NO but dad i getting ganked all the time. They keep ganging up killing me i do not see them coming. NO well i do not like the game it not fair{ sorry but that life}. Well can you teach me how to get pass it. So I play his hero for a few hours to teach him. Well since i not a pew pew type that did not work. both of us **** so.I said frak it i get him a 2d and let the **** of other player begin Can you say dad dad it now to EZ. OK get the DDC Slower but still he gets a kill in almost each game. .Look at KDR loves it. SO i force him back in to hero. DAD hero sucks #$#$@ Watch it i say. BUT my KDR is down xxx. He goes 2d to cheese and get KDR back up fast.

Does anyone here get the piont of above. Before ecm he not a great player but it was fun. Pay hero still fun. ECM fun down the drain. So join them to get back fun{level playing field}. Him in 2D with Streak he call is EZ mode {this from a 10 year old}

Me KDR was around 1.05 ECM i drop to .55{760 matchs} Back to .69 after tactical refit to all CATS and Atlas D{wish i wait to buy 2 weeks. Locked to non ecm mechs Choice son hero or mech bay I chose son. So i am stuck with neuted cats{LRM lol, JJ even maxed lol height fraked. Streaks lol} only left ballastics POW POW and lasers PEW PEW. I PLAYED most of the COD and I am good at it so KDR slowly going up. As a ghost bear {Red Hand} I though i was a mech warrior. Ecm made me a pew pew warriors or brawler to not think just get close and the most heavy armored or more weapons wins.

oh Tolkien thanks my son and all the other noobs thank you for asking the Q

Edited by warp103, 02 January 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#54 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

View Postwarp103, on 02 January 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

I had a choice by more mech bays or get the hero for my son. I chose my son for a his Bday. As a new player and after watching me he had a good Idea how to play. So the llya was Like DAD DAD BEST GIFT EVER. Since ECM it dad can i sell it. NO but dad i getting ganked all the time. They keep ganging up killing me i do not see them coming. NO well i do not like the game it not fair{ sorry but that life}. Well can you teach me how to get pass it. So I play his hero for a few hours to teach him. Well since i not a pew pew type that did not work. both of us **** so.I said frak it i get him a 2d and let the **** of other player begin Can you say dad dad it now to EZ. OK get the DDC Slower but still he gets a kill in almost each game. .Look at KDR loves it. SO i force him back in to hero. DAD hero sucks #$#$@ Watch it i say. BUT my KDR is down xxx. He goes 2d to cheese and get KDR back up fast.

Does anyone here get the piont of above. Before ecm he not a great player but it was fun. Pay hero still fun. ECM fun down the drain. So join them to get back fun{level playing field}. Him in 2D with Streak he call is EZ mode {this from a 10 year old}

Me KDR was around 1.05 ECM i drop to .55{760 matchs} Back to .69 after tactical refit to all CATS and Atlas D{wish i wait to buy 2 weeks. Locked to non ecm mechs Choice son hero or mech bay I chose son. So i am stuck with neuted cats{LRM lol, JJ even maxed lol height fraked. Streaks lol} only left ballastics POW POW and lasers PEW PEW. I PLAT cod and i am good at it so KDR slowly going up. As a ghost bear {Red Hand} I though i was a mech warrior. Ecm made me a pew pew warriors or brawler to not think just get close and the most heavy armored or more weapons wins.

Cool story, bro.

#55 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Let Streaks and LRM Missles (I know lrms can hit with tags but streaks should get a lock counter) be a viable solution with tag outside 180 (I think 150 is more resonable meters and problem solved. If you can hold tag long enough to lock you technically "Aimed" your Shot. Steaks need to pepper body like paul said they were working on first however, not just the torso area.

ECM isnt the devil btw I and many others play just fine against it. I think the only problem is the mechs with ECM have missle capabilites except for the Cicada so they get to lock and protect at the same time add lag shield hitboxes (Being fixed) and I can see why its all sorts of annoying. .

Edited by PropagandaWar, 02 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#56 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Don't want to ruin the party but...

NO NEWS ON ECM???

#57 Cola

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I understand why the devs dance around the ECM and Lag issues, Just saw Garth in a ECM Cicada. If they fixed ECM he would only have a lag shield, and thats not OP enough on its own. When The DEVs play the meta game you know something is wrong.

#58 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I particularly like answers about UI 2.0 and being able to organize the line-up of 'mechs! I'm picky!

#59 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationdaytona Beach fl

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

View Postarden, on 02 January 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

I understand why the devs dance around the ECM and Lag issues, Just saw Garth in a ECM Cicada. If they fixed ECM he would only have a lag shield, and thats not OP enough on its own. When The DEVs play the meta game you know something is wrong.

All dev should play, but they {the dev.} should listen to community not there own personal preference.

Correct grammar, Happens when you have 5 kids.

Edited by warp103, 02 January 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#60 iller

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationColo.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Amazed these were answered so quickly after the holidays. Good Job! Most Game devs are still pretending like they're due for another week of "unwinding" from the vacation from their vacation itself which is a career that's basically a vaction from most real jobs .... is this one of those backwards Canada things like milk in bags and bread that comes in cans?

Also, what Do I have to do to get my question about pure/queue'd Observer mode answered? Should I wait another month or just keep spamming it? I ask b/c it doesn't seem nearly as complicated as most of these things that WERE answered <_< (especially the Whisky question, I wouldn't touch something that controversial with a 10ft whino)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users