Why Is The Scale Of The Game Wrong?

69 replies to this topic

#1 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

A 50 ton Centurion is taller than a 90 ton Stalker. What?....

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

They're just as tall.

#3 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

It's so people can brag about the size of their wang.

#4 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

Centurion is larger.

Awesome needs to be SLIGHTLY less like a wide load toad.

Stalker a bit larger.

That's all I can really think of.

Perhaps they want to keep mechs within the "same range" for game reasons instead of logical, lore specific reasons.

#5 fleshwoundNPG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGreencastle, Indiana USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 January 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Yea but those guys run stock Wangs, so they're not that hard.

#6 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 07 January 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Centurion is larger.

Awesome needs to be SLIGHTLY less like a wide load toad.

Stalker a bit larger.

That's all I can really think of.

Perhaps they want to keep mechs within the "same range" for game reasons instead of logical, lore specific reasons.

True story, especially the awesome... Needs revamp.

The original awesome model looks more "awesome," and less toad-like/fatsome.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Too short, center torso is huge, stubby legs (lul whut), and the torso's are less defined/imposing. I don't feel awesome in my awesome. I want an awesome to be awesome :).

Edited by General Taskeen, 07 January 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#7 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 January 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

touche

#8 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostBerryChunks, on 07 January 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

A 50 ton Centurion is taller than a 90 ton Stalker. What?....

Simply because its not a Centurion but a Cylon bodybuilder.

#9 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 07 January 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

Too short, center torso is huge, stubby legs (lul whut), and the torso's are less defined/imposing. I don't feel awesome in my awesome. I want an awesome to be awesome :).

It's a personal taste thing for sure... I LOVE the Awesome redesign and think it looks a million times better than the canon version. I think all of PGI's mech designs are spot on, TBH. I was never a fan of many TT designs. I thought they looked silly. The reason I was always a Cat/Cicada/Warhammer/whatever guy back in the day is because most of the humanoid mechs looked silly to me. PGI fixes that for me to a very large degree.

#10 Moridan

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:48 AM

Height alone does not equate to tonage. The Cent is simply leaner and the Awesome is bulkier.

Then again, I run a Cmd so everything is huge to me...

#11 TESTIFY

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 50 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostFerretGR, on 07 January 2013 - 05:46 AM, said:

It's a personal taste thing for sure... I LOVE the Awesome redesign and think it looks a million times better than the canon version. I think all of PGI's mech designs are spot on, TBH. I was never a fan of many TT designs. I thought they looked silly. The reason I was always a Cat/Cicada/Warhammer/whatever guy back in the day is because most of the humanoid mechs looked silly to me. PGI fixes that for me to a very large degree.

Amen and thank the Mech gods for Alexander Iglesias and his redesigns making sub par mech designs into something "Awesome" and this game looking great!!

#12 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 07 January 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

True story, especially the awesome... Needs revamp.

The original awesome model looks more "awesome," and less toad-like/fatsome.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, I dunno but the PGI version looks MUCH MUCH MORE B ADASS than the miniature one to me... but thats just me... the miniature one looks kinda g ayish...

#13 MadSavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

I always used to think the cockpits were way too small on some of the mechs, especially the Stalker. However, when the "Critical Damage" light starts going of, you can sometimes see it flashing on the outside of their mech. This leads me to believe that the cockpit is actually part of the mech's third person model and doesn't have a separate first person model. Most FPSs, such as CRYSIS, use a third person model for other players to see while using separate first person models which are more detailed for the arms and weapon you are holding. Since the scale on the cockpit on the Stalker and other mechs is correct to the player's camera and pilot's body, I think the scale of the mechs is as PGI intended.

Edited by MadSavage, 07 January 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#14 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

the size of a lot of the objects are wrong. for example on forest colony there are shrubs. they're sorta grass and would not be out of the ordinary in another game, but then given the size of the mech you have a 20 meter tall shrub. same with the snow clumps in frozen city. what you have is a building sized clump of snow. snow does not fall like that.

a lot of times i think they forgot about scale on these maps and then just added some street lights aftewards to 'fix it'

Edited by Broceratops, 07 January 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#15 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 07 January 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

the size of a lot of the objects are wrong. for example on forest colony there are shrubs. they're sorta grass and would not be out of the ordinary in another game, but then given the size of the mech you have a 20 meter tall shrub. same with the snow clumps in frozen city. what you have is a building sized clump of snow. snow does not fall like that.

a lot of times i think they forgot about scale on these maps and then just added some street lights aftewards to 'fix it'

Being as your location says "TDOT" I'm assuming you're from Toronto.

I cannot accept that anyone from Toronto knows what snow looks like, let alone understands how it falls.

#16 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 07 January 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Being as your location says "TDOT" I'm assuming you're from Toronto.

I cannot accept that anyone from Toronto knows what snow looks like, let alone understands how it falls.

broceratops' knowledge of snow is based on the movie 'fargo', where it did not look like the snow on frozen city

#17 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

ITT: People argue the ingame awesome isn't tall enough, and should make the side torsos much easier to shoot at, even with a hill in the way.

Frankly, I'm all for it, but I don't play an awesome. Bring on the taller, gawkier, teenager-looking awesome from the 2665!

Except... oh wait, the sarna art doesn't look like the crappy mini... Posted Image

#18 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

i'm fine with PGI's mech models. maybe they're too large or small, but outside of scale they look fine. sarna and the original art for the most part looked really bad. really bad. its not just dated, its just bad.

thats why the timber wolf is so popular - its one of the few models that dont look ******** as originally drawn

example: here is the centurion. it looks godawful. i honestly dont even know whats going on in the right arm/mid right torso area. looks like a bunch of lines got into an accident.

Posted Image

Kudos to PGI for being able to turn this abomination into a pretty decent looking mech.

Edited by Broceratops, 07 January 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#19 Sayyid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Because PGI decided to rewrite the Battletech lore on mech creation.

And a CN9 is about as tall as a Stalker in lore.

I used to have a book that had the size of each mech from the original 3025 Techical Readout.

The AS7 is the tallest mech in Battletech at 19.5m tall. The Urbanmech is the shortest at 9.5m.

Currently Commando is the shortest in game when in fact it is taller than the Raven and the Jenner, standing at 12m tall

The Jenner is only 11m, and the Raven 11.5m.

The thing that will blow your mind is the Centurion, is 16m tall, and the Catapult is only 15m tall.

It is funny to see how tall each mech is and how their weight does not mean small in height.

#20 Lee Ving

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 07 January 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

i'm fine with PGI's mech models. maybe they're too large or small, but outside of scale they look fine. sarna and the original art for the most part looked really bad. really bad. its not just dated, its just bad.

thats why the timber wolf is so popular - its one of the few models that dont look ******** as originally drawn

example: here is the centurion. it looks godawful. i honestly dont even know whats going on in the right arm/mid right torso area. looks like a bunch of lines got into an accident.
Posted Image

Lol caught it before the edit, but I agree.

Just providing a lore/canon based counterpoint. Tons of the TRO junk is beyond ugly, it isn't functional.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users