#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

UPDATE: The Feb. 4th is the day of Awesome. All 8-series have engine cap raised to 300, and the general agility of all variants have been increased. Oh and there comes a HERO AWESOME WOOOOSH!! Therefore all builds in this guide have been updated to take advantage of the new patch.

=====================================================================================

So I made a rather ambitious "Ultimate Hunchback Guide" a while back, and judging from the comments it might actually helped a few people. I was planning to do a Centurion guide first but hey, what are you gonna do if I don't?

Okay the fact is, I had way more fun with my Awesome triad than with my Centurions, even though as an assault class AWS is heavily overshadowed. I'd say every Awesome is more fun to pilot than my DDC, providing that you have a good build. I honestly would recommend whoever wanna elite an assault class to go with Awesome, instead of falling into the cover-boy-ego trap. You know what I'm saying.

So what makes an Awesome awesome? Typatty made this highly informative Awesome Basics guide a few days ago, so I'll just let you check that out instead of repeating every thing myself (but with all due respect his builds are impractically complicated, and wasted quite some potentials of the AWS chassis). In short, Awesomes have very balanced hardpoint distributions, enough crit slots to fit incredible firepower even with the largest STD engine. The massive pancake torso is a pain in the *** though, but you can always tank some incoming fire with your giant shield arms.

So, without further ado let's get to the builds. 'Simple and effective" is my codes of 'Mech-building, but there are indeed personal preferences involved in some cases. I could promise that those pet peeves are in no way harmful to the 'Mechs' performance though.

=====================================================================================

AWS-PB: XL380, 14DHS, Endo, 2xLL, 1xARM15(ton), 2xASRM4(2ton), TAG, AMS

People have been scowling over PB's hardpoint layout ever since it came out, and with good reasons. The hard points are all over the place, the lasers are hard to convergent, and the missile hardpoints have uncanny salvos distribution. This particular build is okay-ish for early-game softening, and the speed of PB certainly helps it develop. The 2xSRM4 aka LBX20 does great job for late-game finish-off. It took me a long time to get used to, and it is not exactly the most fun 'Mech to pilot, but it works pretty well if you do it right.

AWS-8Q: STD300, Endo, 19DHS, 4xLL, 3xMPL, AMS

8Q's energy hardpoints are screaming for a laserboat build, so that's what we're gonna do. 4xLL is pretty much the standard laser sniper loadout. You could try to boat 6xLL on a 8R though, but guess what? I want that largest engine for the speed and delicacy (yes the engine size affect your arm/torso twisting speed too, which is why most of my build uses the largest engine possible), and I don't want that six crit slots taken by a fragile XL engine. And finally, fill the three hardpoints left with three MPL because why waste the tonnage.

There's a catch in this build: an LL has a 1 second firing duration, as well as three seconds of cooldown, making the whole firing cycle four seconds. With four of them, you're basically a walking, 80 ton LL that fires non-stop...or until you need to cool down, which should be more than easily for 19DHS to handle. The three MPL give you a spur of "FINISH HIM!" when needed. Remember to use your empty left arm to shield, and you'll quickly get your grip on this baby.

Another option is STD300, Endo, 18DHS, 3xPPC, 3xMPL, though I would not recommend this build on 8Q because speed is life for a PPCboat. 9M is much more suitable for such job, which will be covered later.

AWS-8R: STD300, 15DHS, Endo, 4xASRM6, 2xLL

Yup. This is pretty much my Ultimate Brawler 8R. It's the absolute opposite of the 8Q build above. With this beast you wanna get as close to your victim as possible (even with Artemis, SRM6 still has some serious spread), and unleash your 78 damage Alpha strike in the face. This kind of damage packed with the mobility provided by the 300 engine would let you win any brawl hands down (with the possible exception of Splatcat). Yes, I've killed so many Atlas with this beast. The best thing about piloting this build? The moment of Christmas sensation when you see an enemy - ideally a medium - overheats in front of you. That would almost guarantee you a kill.

Keep in mind that this thing does run quite hot. There's no problem when you fire the SRM6s together, but with LLas it could become a bit problematic, so chainfire if you can, and don't alpha all the time. Also, stay in urban area or behind a hill. Awesomes are highly vulnerable under LRM, and you don't wanna lose your side torsos before getting close to your foes. And again, remember to use your massive shield arm.

Alternatively STD300, 14DHS, Endo, TAG, 2xArtemis LRM15, 2xArtemis SRM4, 2xML would serve the purpose of a hybrid build for larger maps, and XL300+4xLRM15 would be a good low-end super LRM boat, though it may not be nearly as survivable as a Stalker.

===========================================================================

AWS-8T: STD300, 14DHS, Endo, TAG, 2xLRM15, 4xMPL, AMS

NOTE: Please install the "always-on TAG gadget" to use with this build. That would make you a much more useful person in the world of ECM. The gadget is still functional by the time of Jan. 9th, without any objection from PGI.

As we all know, brawling is the way of man and LRM is for pu**ies who can't aim. Unfortunately for 8T, brawling is not nearly as effective comparing to the 8R build above, and since we already have an Laserboat 8Q, 8T sadly has to fit herself into the LRM category. Still, if you're boating LRM and ask teammates to target for you while yourself chickens behind out of enemy sight, that would make you the president of the pu**y republic. I'm not saying that you should actively seek brawling as an LRM boat for obvious reasons. What you should do is actively scan enemies from afar and keep them in your view. With the head-mounted TAG this build could be a very good spotter to counter ECM, and since Artemis only functions when you have your tango in sight, you wanna keep your tag on the poor fella whose skull is cracking under your LRM.

Also the four arm-mounted MPLs are absolutely great for leg-chewing the harassing lights and finishing off.

AWS-8V: STD300, 18DHS, Endo, 1xERPPC, 3xML, 3xASRM4

8V is a weirdo, but it also means you can do whatever with it. I have never tried this variant, but I prefer brawling and thus this is what I have. You can totally replace the SRMs with, I dunno, tripe LRM5 for spamming (Multiple low-tier LRM is pretty damn scary FYI)? Or take off the Artemis and go with 3xSRM6? Or get an XL300 and stuff in 3xALRM10? This is the most flexible Awesome variant, so go figure this one yourself :(

AWS-9M: XL380, 19DHS, Endo, 1xERPPC, 2xPPC, 3xML, AMS

Courtesy of Wrenchfarm for informing me with a very similar build. This is my defining PPC boat. Speed, range, just-right firepower and armor. Not too much heat to handle and still considerably powerful over point-blank. You could even take off the AMS and get an extra DHS in there! It's expensive as hell, but honestly, worth every CB you spend.

For an alternative build, check out Artifex 28's Advanced Brawler. I personally recommend replacing the torso-mounted 3xML with 2xLL, because after all it's not the best idea to dive into brawling with a super easy-to-hit torso and an XL engine, and it would be better off to snipe.

That's it. That's what I think works best with the Awesome variants. Again I would recommend you to check Typatty's Awesome Basics which covers basically everything you need to know before getting down to what variant to choose. Hopefully this would make some of you understand that you really don't have to sit in an Atlas to feel Awesome.

That was a bad pun wasn't it.

Edited by Helmstif, 20 April 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#2 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Very nice builds there. One of my first purchases was the 9m you mentioned above, with it's phenomenally expensive engine. I loved it so. The speed makes it surprisingly survivable for an xl also.

I've since downgraded to a standard 350, a swathe of MLAS and streaks, and surprisingly don't miss the extra kph of the XL. You're vastly more survivable, and get to exploit the fact that the 9m is one of the most effective zombies in the game, with 3 weapon hard points left over in the unfortunate event of someone removing your arms and side torsos.

#3 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I can fully vouch for Helmstiff's 8R brawler build. It's legit.

#4 stemnin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I use a similar build with the 9M (sometimes switching to a slower STD engine), but I drop the AMS and get 19 DHS.

#5 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Amazing guide Helmstif, I'm sure this info will help any aspiring Awesome pilot (and even some vets!) We need some chassis specific sub-forums and this guide needs a sticky at the top of the Awesome page.

Like NPR, I can attest to the power of Helm's 8R build. I used it and loved it. Better than any missile boating shenanigans you could use the 8R for. Nothing sweeter than wiping out an Atlas before it knows what hit em.

I did notice a small typo. I use the same 8Q build, 290STD, 4xLLAS, 3xMLAS, it is GOLD. But I get 20 DHS in it, not 19. So its actually a little bit more awesome than you give it credit for!

I love the 9M. I'd go so far as to say it is the best of the Awesome models once you get used to trucking a XL engine in it. I made the mistake of getting one when I first started the game and HATED it. Ended up selling it, buying other Awesomes, and eventually coming back around again. So anyone reading this, don't be a doofus like me. Take your time before spending the 11million cbills and when you do, don't get frustrated if it doesn't seem super powerful immediately.

I respectfully disagree with Kiiyor, I think it is important to keep the speed AND fire power of a 9M high. I wouldn't use anything less than an XL350. You want that speed and the extra engine heatsink capacity since critical slots are at something of a premium in the 9M. But you also want at least a few big guns. If all you are bringing are some MLAS and SSRMs, why not just pilot an HBK-4SP and deny the enemy team another potential Atlas-DDC?

Given my love of energy weapons, it should come as no surprise that I like to run my 9M as either a 4xLLAS boat (that moves faster and a little bit cooler than the 8Q, but at the price of that XL vulnerability and fewer MLAS backups) or with flat out 3xPPCs and nuttin else. I know it sounds horrible, and it can certainly go sideways if a light gets on your tail and you lack support. But with my 3xPPC 9M, I've topped for 1k damage many times. I know damage isn't the end all be all of stats to justify a mech, but it isn't peanuts either. With the proliferation of Stalkers and Atlai on the field, you will never be short on big slow stupid targets that just LOVE to be slammed for 30 damage a pop again and again.

Glad to see Awesomes getting some props. I truly believe they are an underrated mech. I think the fact that they have been used as the junky trial Assault so many times people have gotten used to idea that an Awesome is easy meat - a terrible mistake to make.

#6 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 10 January 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

I did notice a small typo. I use the same 8Q build, 290STD, 4xLLAS, 3xMLAS, it is GOLD. But I get 20 DHS in it, not 19. So its actually a little bit more awesome than you give it credit for!

I bet your 8Q version didn't have AMS because there's no more crit space in my build...okay I'm kinda obsessed with AMS. It actually counters SSRM quite efficiently.

I like the idea of 3xPPC on an 9M. 20+DHS could almost neutral the heat of two PPCs, a third one wouldn't be too much of a problem if you chainfire. Ant it's a spectacular sight watching a metal giant spitting hot ion balls at the edge of horizon. I only skipped the build because frankly when comes to PPC, I like my K2 better.

Edited by Helmstif, 10 January 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#7 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

I've actually retooled my 9M for 2xPPCs instead of 3LLs. The accuracy and lack of duration seems to give me a better punch for skirmishing and sniping... And I still crammed 3MLs, 2SRM4s an XL380 with 20 DHS' in. Runs a little hot on short range stuff... But overall it's a pretty versatile build that you can stay at range or brawl with.

#8 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

I've been trying to run the AWS-8Q as both laser boat and PPC boat but I'm struggling. That CT is just soooo fat. I've got to the point of sticking 80/20 front/rear split on the CT armour but as soon as you get involved in a fight you just get hammered by everybody.

I'm used to sloping around in a Centurion where people tend to ignore you but an AWS just screams "shoot my CT out I am a giant slow moving target!"

Perhaps I just need to spend more time practising - I struggle with the shield arm due to the incredible slowness of the AWS - it seems A LOT slower than my Cataphracts which are still 70T mechs? Also I am well versed in using the shield on my Cent - just that driving an AWS is like driving a bus in comparison which is I think my major issue. I'll keep at it as I appreciate that it takes time to adapt.

#9 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

My 9M is equipped as follows:
XL380
2 ERPPCs
2 MLs
3 SRM4s
As many DHS as will fit after I load enough SRM ammo.

This baby runs at 85 kph, and has really fast torso twist speed. It's not much use for close range brawling, but as a hard hitting skirmisher it is probably unparallelled. Wait for people to start mixing it up, then go to work. This mech is very useful to your teammates because it can inflict a lot of damage from long range and when the time is right, it can swoop in and finish off weakened enemies with SRMs and MLs. This mech is fun as hell.

#10 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostNRP, on 10 January 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

My 9M is equipped as follows:
XL380
2 ERPPCs
2 MLs
3 SRM4s
As many DHS as will fit after I load enough SRM ammo.

This baby runs at 85 kph, and has really fast torso twist speed. It's not much use for close range brawling, but as a hard hitting skirmisher it is probably unparallelled. Wait for people to start mixing it up, then go to work. This mech is very useful to your teammates because it can inflict a lot of damage from long range and when the time is right, it can swoop in and finish off weakened enemies with SRMs and MLs. This mech is fun as hell.

Similar to the build I am planning to run.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a1996fc8b966245

Max DHS with Endo in there and a 380 is 19 by the looks of it. By reducing leg armour I was able to upgrade one of the SRM4's to a 6, which shouldn't be an issue.

If you don't have the same need for speed and heat is a problem, then a XL 350 allows you to drop the Endo to cram in 2 more DHS and put a half ton more leg armour on. OR on more DHS and an AMS with 1 ammo.

Or to really change up the loadout with a XL380 you can run 3xLLas and 2xSRM4 1x SRM6 with 20 DHS

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b9b0e45944aadd1

Lastly if you drop the SRM's and go for Streaks you could build this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8600372d3253ee5

2 ERPPC, 3 Mpl, 2 Strk with 22DHS. With 350XL and no Endo

Or

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ad936a81fd3f30a

2 ERPPC, 3 Mpl, 2 Strk with 20DHS. With 380XL and Endo.

It's a better build for dealing with lights (as long as they don't have ECM, but the 3MPl's are no slouch for those even), but loses some firepower against the heavies where those SRM's would be nice.

The real challenge with this chassis is getting the engine size you want and the DHS's you need with very limited crit space. I find myself usually dropping Endo to allow this with anything smaller than the 380XL engine.

Edited by Grimlox, 10 January 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#11 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

DAYUM. Watching all these 9M builds starts to make me regret why I didn't save up for one...but still, I really don't think you can get that much of a satisfaction comparing to what you pay for it.

#12 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

It's only money.

#13 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 10 January 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

DAYUM. Watching all these 9M builds starts to make me regret why I didn't save up for one...but still, I really don't think you can get that much of a satisfaction comparing to what you pay for it.

I plopped down 20m c-bills for my 9M and to upgrade/outfit it the first night. It was just a simple 3LL, 3MPL XL385 build and it was worth every penny of that. The mech just rocks. I tossed down another 7.5m a few nights ago to change to a PPC build (had to downsize the engine to 380 to fit it all in) - STILL more than worth it. The only time my 9M ever goes down is to focused fire or when I'm completely overwhelmed by numbers. It's an amazing mech. The only thing its really poorly suited for is LRM-boat duty.

#14 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Played a match with you running your 9M last night NRP. By the end of the night I saved up enough for my 380XL engine. I'm still trying to decide between my PPC build or 3LLas build. The 3Llas utilizes the speed more, but it requires you to face your target for longer while the llas duration finishes which prevent torso twisting to minimize damage to some extent.

The Llas build was putting up higher dmg numbers but I think that's just because the PPC was doing more focused damage. Will need more time for testing, but they are both working well.

#15 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

I'm nearing 40k cumulative XP with my 8R and I love it. A big thing you have to get good at with the Awesome chassis is left-arm shielding and positioning. If you walk straight into a crowd, you'll be quickly destroyed due to your massive center and side torsos.

#16 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

:( confused because why so many people love Hunckback but never cares about Awesome....

#17 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Here's my current 8Q build, which has been rocking so far:

STD285
6 LLs (3 groups of two)
DHS
Endo
max armor
HE = 1.09

Heat is manageable. Firing groups of two essentially allows you to blind the enemy as you advance/retreat, not to mention dealing tons of damage.

My 8T build:

STD290
4 LLs
1 MPL
2 SRM6s

This is quickly becoming my favorite AWS. If it had the 9M's speed, it would be my absolute favorite mech. I've killed so many Hunchbacks with the 8T. I don't know what it is about Hunchbacks that makes them stop whatever they're doing to attack an Awesome, but they've all payed the ultimate price. I've even resorted to talking a little trash after I wreck them. Easy kill my azz.

Edited by NRP, 22 January 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#18 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostNRP, on 22 January 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Here's my current 8Q build, which has been rocking so far:

STD285
6 LLs (3 groups of two)
DHS
Endo
max armor
HE = 1.09

Heat is manageable. Firing groups of two essentially allows you to blind the enemy as you advance/retreat, not to mention dealing tons of damage.

My 8T build:

STD290
4 LLs
1 MPL
2 SRM6s

This is quickly becoming my favorite AWS. If it had the 9M's speed, it would be my absolute favorite mech. I've killed so many Hunchbacks with the 8T. I don't know what it is about Hunchbacks that makes them stop whatever they're doing to attack an Awesome, but they've all payed the ultimate price. I've even resorted to talking a little trash after I wreck them. Easy kill my azz.

Eeek! That 8Q looks like it would run super hot! How many heat sinks are you able to fit in while rocking Endo?

The 8T looks like a fun build. Always wanted to try one, I think it would be nice to have lasers on both arms.

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

@Wrenchfarm

Surprisingly, that 8Q build isn't bad at all, since I'm only firing two LLs at a time (one group of 2 assigned to each mouse button).  If you alpha a lot, it can get out if control but otherwise it's easy to keep a constant stream of blue death on an enemy.  My main complaint with the AWS is that it's hard to rock a high damage build.  This 6 LL build can take most mechs apart pretty quickly.  I find most mechs just retreat.  Those that don't just melt.  I'll verify the number of DHS when I get home, but I think it's 16.  Being a fellow laser lover, you should try this build too.

The 8T is great.  I initially got it to elite my 9M and 8R, but I was LRM boating it and hated it.  Now I love it.  Two LLs on each arm are just pure win, and the SRMs finish off what's left of the glowing mech.  As I've said, if the 8T had the 9M's speed it would be the ultimate assault mech.

Edit:

18 DHS on the 8Q

Edited by NRP, 22 January 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#20 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Okay I have to update a bit cuz I somehow managed another 8R build that works maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe better than the Ultimate Brawler. Just mind that I didn't have much time to test it: STD290, Artemis, Endo, TAG, 2xLRM15(5tons), 2xSRM4(2ton), 2xML.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users