China Had It Right: How Unregulated Mmo Play Impoverished Your Country.

66 replies to this topic

#21 Rodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

No one said that grinding can`t be fun. It is boring sometimes if you overdo it, but you can change your mech any time you want to get your fun back.

#22 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

Not at all. I pay for content.This isnt the same thing. You can "unlock" that content faster, and play with it sooner, instead of "grinding" to unlock it.

I'd like you to explain how playing the same thing over and over to finally unlock objects is similar to a linear story that has a beginning, middle, and end, where no one moment is the same as the one that came before it, unlike MMOs.

Those are called single player games. MMOs have and probably will work around different designs. Does CoD, BF3, LoL or any other online PvP basd game have beginning, middle and end? WoW does have a story of sorts, but when speaking strictly about the arena and battlegrounds, those don't have beginning or end either. (not counting seasons as that)

The point of PvP is playing against humans, the unpredictability of the human factor. Albeit the content in MWO is rather limited, but I wouldn't call for 'single player campaing' to fix it.

Most, perhaps CS excluded, PvP games have content to 'unlock', LoL has levels and characters, BF3 has weapons and what not (never played either btw) and MWO has chassises and skills, so it's not something that is wrong the game since it is a fundamental design choice.

#23 WhiteCatInsurgency

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 81 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Time spent enjoying myself is more valuable than money earned in that time.

Some of us know a world devoid of the pursuit of wealth. A little is enough and I don't measure success (or happiness) by $ per hour.

edit - grammar.

Edited by WhiteCatInsurgency, 14 January 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#24 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

This argument sucks because internet and Crysis ready computers are not free. Good "Weed speculation" though!

#25 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

*sigh*

Random thread comes out of nowhere proclaiming random stuff that i knew was random after reading 4 lines.
Flush this to the OT section where it belongs.

And liking your own posts? seriously how about making engaging threads that get likes on the merit of its content instead of fishing. Might be hard for you OP but you can do it....maybe.

Edited by KharnZor, 14 January 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#26 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I never advocated subverting content by paying money just to have your level 90 WoW leet toon to e--peen stoke in other people's face (an infectious behavior the MWO community doesn't appear immune to), that's the exact opposite end of the spectrum. On the other hand, going through a dungeon 6 times just to collect all pieces of something or rank up so you can do YAD 6 times for it as well is obviously stupid. The reason such "treadmills" exist in a game is, in fact, to make playtime longer for more customer payments, and this cannot be denied. However, in a game where the option is to "grind" your way to having all the stuff (which you actually grind through ZERO interesting content to get if you just play to get it 'free') or the ability to legally spend a few dollars to have something now, to enjoy more content unlocked from the game sooner, in a way that doesn't beget drudgery, the interest should clearly be in the latter, from both a personal time value circumstance, as well as getting around grinding circumstance.

Remember that there are zombie farmers in MWO who suicide in games just to grind Cbills.

View PostKharnZor, on 14 January 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

*sigh*

Random thread comes out of nowhere proclaiming random stuff that i knew was random after reading 4 lines.
Flush this to the OT section where it belongs.

And liking your own posts? seriously how about making engaging threads that get likes on the merit of its content instead of fishing. Might be hard for you OP but you can do it....maybe.

Cry more. apparently, a number of people see the reason in the OP.

#27 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

That's one less if you remove the like you put in for yourself.
And who's crying? because its not me.

lol again you like your own post. funny stuff.

Edited by KharnZor, 14 January 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#28 Biruke

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationMsk, RF, Terra

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

I'd like you to explain how playing the same thing over and over

what? are you getting tetris games instead of 8vs8 matches with real unpredictable people driving different mechs each time? o_O

How can that be people get different game files?

#29 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostVoidsinger, on 14 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I've notice BerryChunks that you never really have much positive to say about the game.

Also that you like your own posts.

On topic though, the aim of the game is to play, not accumulate. Different people use different indicators of how they are progressing in the game. One indicator (and most important) is the FUN indicator, how you are enjoying the game. For others it is K/D ratio, or W/L. Yet others may use how many mechs they own (I own 41 btw, and rising). My goal is skills, to be skilled in every mech (38 totally mastered and rising despite the 32 mech bug).

Things that can be bought with cash are the worst indicator for a game (except the game company). I heartily applaud PGI for not having a grey economy of mech accounts, and forbidding account selling.

Liking your own posts is akin to casually dating your own sister

#30 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

^ you crying. /game

View PostSpiralRazor, on 14 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

View PostSpiralRazor, on 14 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

You're implying there's a problem here.

#31 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

^ you crying. /game

Nope. No tears.
That was just me making fun of you once i realized that the half a brain you do have obviously isn't working correctly .

#32 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 14 January 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Nope. No tears.
That was just me making fun of you once i realized that the half a brain you do have obviously isn't working correctly .

how cute :3. First crying, now trying to cover by lashing out. You're adorable.

#33 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

how cute :3. First crying, now trying to cover by lashing out. You're adorable.

How cute, you fell back to the crying/adorable option.
You shouldn't engage in a battle of wits if you come ill prepared.

*edit* you forgot to like your own post.

Edited by KharnZor, 14 January 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#34 SlXSlXSlX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Playing MWO is more akin to watching family guy, another activity one does which produces no tangible product, than it is waking up in the morning to go to work. So in theory mwo is more like watching tv, an activity of leisure. Please google this word "leisure".

Here is an example of the show I related to the op of your thread.

#35 Syncline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

QQ

Cool story, bro.

My "fun time" and my "work time" are two different slots of time. One earns me money and the other keeps me out of the looney bin. They are mutually exclusive.

Perhaps the OP should stop analyzing his life in terms of dollars-per-hour and instead just have fun playing the game, lest he ends up in the looney bin.

Edited by Syncline, 14 January 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#36 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• 1,000 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

View PostKharnZor, on 14 January 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

How cute, you fell back to the crying/adorable option.
You shouldn't engage in a battle of wits if you come ill prepared.

*edit* you forgot to like your own post.

mimicry is a 10 year old tool. I must be pretty threatening to your ego.

#37 Helbourne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

China had it right?? What a load of dung this thread topic is. The only thing China may have done "right" is enslave their own people. They have a hive mind mentality. Anyone who dares speak out against what they are told, ends up in a dark hole or dead. Normally people play games to escape reality for a while, I know I do. I do not punch a time clock, or record the hours I spend playing. I do not figure out how much per hour that I "make" in dollars. That is just dumb. It's my time, I can spend it the way I want to. I am not poor for spending my time playing games. This recession that the United States has been going through has NOTHING to do with people playing MMOs, or any other game. That notion is completely ridiculous.

#38 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

the decline of pirates causes global warming because as piracy decreases global warming increases.
bring back edward teach from the dead and global warming is cured!
Spoiler

#39 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Troll thread. Moderator should lock.

#40 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

I never advocated subverting content by paying money just to have your level 90 WoW leet toon to e--peen stoke in other people's face (an infectious behavior the MWO community doesn't appear immune to), that's the exact opposite end of the spectrum. On the other hand, going through a dungeon 6 times just to collect all pieces of something or rank up so you can do YAD 6 times for it as well is obviously stupid. The reason such "treadmills" exist in a game is, in fact, to make playtime longer for more customer payments, and this cannot be denied. However, in a game where the option is to "grind" your way to having all the stuff (which you actually grind through ZERO interesting content to get if you just play to get it 'free') or the ability to legally spend a few dollars to have something now, to enjoy more content unlocked from the game sooner, in a way that doesn't beget drudgery, the interest should clearly be in the latter, from both a personal time value circumstance, as well as getting around grinding circumstance.

Remember that there are zombie farmers in MWO who suicide in games just to grind Cbills.

Firstly liking your own posts seems just bit silly, but to each to their own.

I can't help but feel you're arguing for the sake of argument, but so am I.

By reading your post you seem to be referring the grind to the chassis you like as 'content of ZERO interest'. Now, if you find battling the opponents in your trial mech or even variant of your very own, how will battling the VERY SAME opponents in slightly different variant make things suddenly so much more interesting?

Now I fully admit that the whole trial mech and grind to the first mech was very silly so I won't get in to that more,but after that it's the game you chose to play. If you get bored of your owned chassis this quick, perhaps MWO is not the game for you.

Once again I refer to my point of human opponents and unknown variables, it's the game. Battling opponents. I would agree with you if there were maps to be unlocked or weapons, but they all stay the same, only the amount of weapons and where you can carry them changes. I wouldn't say that is 'new content' in the sense that we'd be missing on something spectacular.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users