China Had It Right: How Unregulated Mmo Play Impoverished Your Country.

66 replies to this topic

#61 Bagheera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

That was an awful lot of text to justify something that needs no justification. It always amuses me the way people treat gaming these days as some sort of drudgery, and feel that they are somehow superior or smarter for spending money on f2p titles and then use some sort of dollars per hour math to tell us how we are all wasting our time because we could just buy the shiny with real cash.

I don't spend my gaming hours to make profit, I spend them to relax. I work a job to make profit. Time spent vs. Fake Currency Earned is a meaningless metric to me. I play the game to play the game, not earn FakeMoneyUnits. The FakeMoneyUnit "grind" is just part of the game to me, not the end goal.

Nothing wrong with spending real coin on the game, spent some of my MC on mechbays/paint/camo and the like just like anybody else. You really don't need a text wall and some irrelevant yet numerically accurate math to justify yourself to me, or anyone else. :D

Edited by Bagheera, 15 January 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#62 anonymous175

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Needs more smog.

#63 Shibas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostBerryChunks, on 14 January 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Words...

correlation does not equal causation.

#64 Sir Trent Howell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

It's no Coincidence that we're having a "recession" in the U.S. that's on par with the "great depression", at the same time we are seeing a massive upswing in MMO playing.

The Chinese beat us, my friends. They saw what the U.S. was allowing to happen, and that's why they instituted the legal restriction of gameplay time on MMO's. The Chinese aren't stupid. They have market analysts and sociologists just as much as the next country. When people see a country take a technology that's very new, and make LAWS that seem to make no sense, we should ask ourselves what those laws are telling US about what THEY are observing in other countries.

So it was those pesky online gaming nerds, not the massive mismanagement of funds in banks, that led to the recession...

Yes. The great Communist Chinese regime, the same brilliance that brought us the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution, engineered the downfall of the United States....with F2P MMO video games.

Okay, Hu Jintao, you win. We surrender. Now let us stupid Americans get back to our MMOs.

#65 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostHorseWithNoName, on 15 January 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

If there's going to be any regulation, it should be on the way companies are allowed to structure MMO's pay schemes and how and what they can monetize, not play time.

Uhhh, no. A well oiled free market is one that will allow people to offer whatever product they want and charge whatever they want for it. The market will decide if the price is right for the goods delivered. Freedom of production and freedom of consumption go hand in hand. If one stops functioning well (like in a monopoly), so does the other.

In short, you might want to move to China with the OP.

Edited by Adrian Steel, 17 January 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#66 DivineCoffeeBinge

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

The Chinese beat us, my friends. They saw what the U.S. was allowing to happen, and that's why they instituted the legal restriction of gameplay time on MMO's. The Chinese aren't stupid. They have market analysts and sociologists just as much as the next country. When people see a country take a technology that's very new, and make LAWS that seem to make no sense, we should ask ourselves what those laws are telling US about what THEY are observing in other countries.</p>
Yup. Wrap it up, ladies and gentlemen. The West lost the instant they chose not to regulate the Pretend Robot Shooting of their citizens. It's all over. Start learning Mandarin, ladies and gentlemen, if you can find the time between your endless hours of Shooting Pretend Pixel-Mechs. Which you can't, because there isn't enough time in the day.

#67 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

I have this account which has all of the founders mechs, the hero mechs, and every other mech in the game pretty much mastered. I spent money on it.

I also have a few other friend's accounts that I play on to help them get stuff as well. I have done the trial mech grind 3 times before cadet bonuses and 4 times after it. Most of these friends would not be playing the game if I hadn't done that for them.

I do not enjoy playing trial mechs. I do not enjoy playing the Raven 4X or other chassis with huge disabilities when compared to the mech I want. Personally I enjoy the tournaments, skirmishes, and practices.

That is why this game is free to play and has premium time, hero mechs, and flat out buying whatever with MC. You can grind as little or as much as you want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users