#1 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

What happened to this:

Posted Image

Why do we have this instead :unsure:

Posted Image

The cockpits look kind of bland, if we keep them please just adjust the lighting. It all looks way to bright. I always imagined something dark with a lot of glowing/enlit stuff going round the switches/buttons.

[edit] detaching stuff from the ui and having it on the different monitors inside the cockpit would be a dream and add so much character to the different chassi. I know thats way harder to do and a ton of work but one can dream ;)

Edited by Budor, 15 January 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#2 Arclight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Are you asking why the Atlas doesn't have the Hunchback cockpit?

#3 Aedensin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 337 posts
  • LocationN.C. United States

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Maybe they were worried all the screens would cause peoples heads to explode due to information overload? ;)

#4 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostArclight, on 15 January 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Are you asking why the Atlas doesn't have the Hunchback cockpit?

No im asking why they went with a brighter and different style for the in cockpit textures. Im not talking about the (yet) unused monitors. It doesnt live up to 2k gaming standards, esp if you have played any simulators (not that mwo is one) or even(!) Hawken.

Spoiler

This is badass to, props to whoever did it:

Posted Image

Edited by Budor, 15 January 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#5 Aedensin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 337 posts
  • LocationN.C. United States

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostBudor, on 15 January 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Posted Image

Pants....

Edited by Aedensin, 15 January 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#6 Serapth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Frankly I would love the option to just make the cockpit a flat gray, to speed up graphics performance. It's the definition of superflous. Then again, I am also one of those people that plays racing games from the bumper cam.

#7 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

No im asking why they went with a brighter and different style for the in cockpit textures. Im not talking about the (yet) unused monitors. It doesnt live up to 2k gaming standards, esp if you have played any simulators (not that mwo is one) or even(!) Hawken.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Both of those look horrendous. Is that a giant dong missle on the left side of the hawken picture? And in the second, we just going to take what we have now, paint it blood red and call it awesome?

#8 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostBudor, on 15 January 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

The cockpits look kind of bland, if we keep them please just adjust the lighting. It all looks way to bright. I always imagined something dark with a lot of glowing/enlit stuff going round the switches/buttons.

Remember that you can adjust the cockpit lighting by hitting the "." key. I usually darken mine down at the start of a match.

I guess in the long run, PGI would like to put some of the HUD information onto the screens in the cockpit.

#9 Arclight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Mm only real visual difference between this and, say, DCS cockpit is the lack of dynamic shadows. Those would definitely improve the look of it tenfold.

Imho at least MW:O cockpits make sense to the point that you might actually find something like that in a 'Mech if they existed. They look practical, even if they miss some "cool factor".

#10 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostRocketDog, on 15 January 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Remember that you can adjust the cockpit lighting by hitting the "." key. I usually darken mine down at the start of a match.

I guess in the long run, PGI would like to put some of the HUD information onto the screens in the cockpit.

I always thought thats what the bind would do. Rebound it 3x times already and it seems to do nothing for me...so i thought its prolly meant for those holiday lights that they sold and didnt try it again.

Does altering the in cockpit light make the "light grey" colored panels darker or does it darken the glow/light around switches?

#11 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

one is an artists drawing of the hunchback, the other, an in game shot of a totally different mech.

Edited by Penance, 15 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#12 GriefHard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Well - there at least ought to be information on the displays. The information "in your helmet" can stay there, in my opinion, but there has to be info on the various screens in the cockpit. And the lighting is too bright on many parts. It seems not to be a real cockpit with its light sources.

My personal dream would be to be able to move virtual screens around and even put them on secondary/tertiary monitors to be really building your own cockpit!

Until this is implemented (if ever), the cockpit has to become more "alive" ingame!

#13 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostBudor, on 15 January 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

I always thought thats what the bind would do. Rebound it 3x times already and it seems to do nothing for me...so i thought its prolly meant for those holiday lights that they sold and didnt try it again.

Does altering the in cockpit light make the "light grey" colored panels darker or does it darken the glow/light around switches?

Works OK for me, although I don't think it works so well on all maps. It's very effective on Forest Colony, less so on Caustic. I'll try and post up some screenshots when the game is back up after the patch. The cockpit illumination leaves the glowing lights unaffected, so it's quite pretty.

#14 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

not going to lie.

they need an option in graphics to turn down cockpit detail.

it takes up a lot of computing and is not functional at all to actual combat

#15 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

You can change your FOV with the user.cfg file if you want to see more of the cockpit (it's known, and legal, no so worries.) I've noticed in my Cataphract that one of the screens does accurately show my ammo information, but it isn't real easy to see in the default FOV. I don't know if that's on all mechs or not.

edit: it's...
cl_fov = 65
Where 65 is default; make the number bigger (75ish maybe) if you want more cockpit.

Edited by Warrax the Chaos Warrior, 15 January 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#16 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

The earliest of videos had the screens actually showing more than just heatsinks...

#17 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for improving the "metal" texture on some panels. ;)

#18 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostBudor, on 15 January 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

[edit] detaching stuff from the ui and having it on the different monitors inside the cockpit would be a dream and add so much character to the different chassi. I know thats way harder to do and a ton of work but one can dream ;)

Actually it would be pretty awesome if you could just switch all UI elements off and use the displays in your cockpit. The aiming reticule would have to remain I guess. Yes I'd like that indeed.

Maybe refunction Shfit + F11 to do something like that!

#19 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Sorry but I think the cockpits look awesome. With fov 85 I feel the positioning feels exactly right too.

#20 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I was rambling because i didnt like the textures at all. Now with this patch some stuff looks bump mapped, some metal panel backgrounds. Way better now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users