The Spider's True Role Is Not Represented In Mwo

109 replies to this topic

#41 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 January 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

This is a PVP game. There's no reason to ever bring anything but the best.
That's why dragons are so unpopular, and many mechs only have a single variant anyone ever bothers to run, outside of grinding for elite unlocks.

No matter how hard you preach it, no one cares. Dragons are useless. Spiders are now the dragons of the light class. Enjoy.

This mech represents three months of work. I'd rather they had added something good, but I guess you can prove your nerdiness by grinding out master slots on them in the pub ghetto.

That's why I want it to have an environment where Spiders can excel.

Honestly, I can't really understand all the grumbling at Spiders. If you think they're so horrible, why are they even a blip on your radar? Three months work, sure, but they can pay off, given the right circumstances. That said, I don't think PGI would have finished grinding out the netcode or something had they not worked on the Spider.

Why do you and verybad have to be worse buzzkillers than Buzzkillington? Just turn your nose at them, pinky up, and be content with your own smug sense of superiority.

#42 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostSuprentus, on 15 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

Honestly, I can't really understand all the grumbling at Spiders. If you think they're so horrible, why are they even a blip on your radar? Three months work, sure, but they can pay off, given the right circumstances. That said, I don't think PGI would have finished grinding out the netcode or something had they not worked on the Spider.

Why do you and verybad have to be worse buzzkillers than Buzzkillington? Just turn your nose at them, pinky up, and be content with your own smug sense of superiority.

THe ONLY environment in which Spiders could excel would be in a Marios or Sonic the Hedgehog platform game.. It can't fight as well as any other mechs.

This is a game where you either kill other mechs, or make them too afraid of being killed so they stay out of territory. The Spider can't capture territory better than other lights, it can't kill better than anything. Jumping is about as useful as BAP.

Being a brownnoser to a release of a peace of crap isn't helping the game, and the spider won't be made better on larger maps, it will simply live longer because it takes longer to meat other mechs. Other lights will contunue to be better unless it's a grand canyon map.

I'm complaining because I put in $60.00 and I deserve a better product.

Where am I actiong smug or supperior? I'm just not kissing the developers rears because I want more for my money.

Edited by verybad, 15 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.

#43 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Here are some uses. The D is ECM with most firepower capability of all three variants so its value is (relatively) not in question. They probably gave ECM capability to the strongest base model, but so to with Raven 3L and Atlas DDC. The V is the standard zombie prototype. It's not the strongest but it's a bland capable version that all three can emulate. A capable stock zombie is not necessarily a bad thing and most other mechs in this game have a stock starting point from which other "variants" and "heroes" are molded. This stock base V is "rewarded" with the best jumping capability with 12 units. Think of it as a bonus. That advantage could have easily been handed instead to the favored ECM D. Now exploit it by making it the long range scout and sensors of the team. It has 3 stock modules while others get two. So load it up with its 12 jets that it is due. Give it advanced level 2 sensors and BAP for maximum active scanning. Give it level 2 targetting decay to hold proxy locks for your LRM support mechs. I'm sure in the future you will have access for another 2 modules for a total of four to aid its role. It's your lookout and communications tower for your team, and it better be doing it from the highest point possible on any given map, until it gets shot down. Since you need something to do from your perch, forgo the 2 medium lasers for an ER large laser and therefore DHS. Now while looking at your enemies a kilometer away you can pick at them with a snipers laser. Nothing sexy or glamorous here, but marginally useful. You will steal a few kills away from deserving mechs down in the valley.

That leaves the poor K variant. You can make it a large laser equipped V chassis but with gimped jumping of only half the distance. Obviously that's weak as the other mech is already lukewarm at best. One guy was running around with a UAC5 as his only weapon on a K, but we all know that a single UAC5 is about as useful as missing one leg or getting half of a machine gun (read less than 50% useful of a pair). So I guess you have to embrace those 4 machine guns. So here's what you do: you make a carrion vulture. Your sole mission is to find bleeding walking corpses with exposed entrails missing armor and you make your mission to get critical hits, ammo explosions, gauss explosions, etc. You are an arsonist and opportunist. You fight dirty. So you get advanced sensor range and maybe BAP to smell blood like a shark. You get target info module. You master your mech and get 360 target retention. Unlike your D and V siblings you don't have the luxury of hanging back a mile away to spot, lase, and PPC snipe. You gotta get in there within 90 meters for those stupid machine guns you got for Christmas and your gimped jump jets while you favored brothers got those ER LL and ER PPC. Your job is not to score kills or even steal kills (though you will gladly steal kills all day if only thrown the scraps). No. Your job is to sniff out and score criticals on the wounded. That's it dude. And you embrace it by mounting a flamer or if feeling really generous (and you have no business feeling generous in a K) you mount a TAG to target LRM's since you'll be buzzing around the enemy like a mesquito anyway. Maybe you'll do something useful and get TAG score creds. BTW, while you're there, ya best spray every enemy mech like a skunk with useless machine gun fire against armor. Why? Cheap assists in the stats. Useful? Of course not, but get all 8 of them every time.

#44 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostSuprentus, on 15 January 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

They're a blip on my radar because this is 3 months of work that they wasted on a terrible mech, that anyone could have told them would be bad to add to the game. I want good mechs, not bad dragons and spiders.

#45 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostZerashen, on 15 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

I think you're missing the idea of "effective". Helping your team, doing damage or distracting, etc etc. Even running around and drawing fire. Depends on what the team needs.

LRM boats shooting their ammo at you and missing is them not shooting LRM's at teammates and hitting. Also you are a great distraction decoy. A smart enemy will ignore you.

#46 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

View Postverybad, on 15 January 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

This is a game where you either kill other mechs, or make them too afraid of being killed so they stay out of territory.

Why? Why does it have to be that way, and why does it have to stay that way? I remember the devs themselves stating in the past that they don't intend MWO to be deathmatches.

Being a brownnoser to a release of a peace of crap isn't helping the game, and the spider won't be made better on larger maps, it will simply live longer because it takes longer to meat other mechs. Other lights will contunue to be better unless it's a grand canyon map.

Why must it be brownnosing? Why can't it be constructive criticism and suggestions?

I'm complaining because I put in $60.00 and I deserve a better product.

Where am I actiong smug or supperior?

Well that was more aimed at Vassago.

I'm just not kissing the developers rears because I want more for my money.

Nor am I.

#47 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostSuprentus, on 15 January 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Why? Why does it have to be that way, and why does it have to stay that way? I remember the devs themselves stating in the past that they don't intend MWO to be deathmatches.

Why must it be brownnosing? Why can't it be constructive criticism and suggestions?

Well that was more aimed at Vassago.

Nor am I.

They said they'd never add items you can only get with real money, too. Stop pretending ancient blog posts are relevant.

#48 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 January 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

They're a blip on my radar because this is 3 months of work that they wasted on a terrible mech, that anyone could have told them would be bad to add to the game. I want good mechs, not bad dragons and spiders.

Well, you got me there...except you haven't, because I already addressed that.

#49 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostShumabot, on 15 January 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

This is precisely why the TT game is an awful basis for a live multiplayer videogame. It doesn't translate.

Or perhaps it's a better example of why the Spider shouldn't have been added to MWO.

#50 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 January 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

They said they'd never add items you can only get with real money, too. Stop pretending ancient blog posts are relevant.

Cool, so I guess Community Warfare is just a rumor. Good to know. Really, what did you hope to prove?

#51 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostSuprentus, on 15 January 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Cool, so I guess Community Warfare is just a rumor. Good to know. Really, what did you hope to prove?

Yeah, it kinda is. That's why we're not allowed to ask questions about it, and why they haven't said anything about it in a year.

#52 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Funny I pictured the Raven in this and TT more of a deep cover mech. It has the low radar profile and good speed.

#53 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Maybe they'll charge us for Forum abilities like maybe using different color text...300 MC.Single use in that post. Certain colors are more expensive.

Forum Warfare is what they really meant when they said Community Warfare.

#54 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 January 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Yeah, it kinda is. That's why we're not allowed to ask questions about it, and why they haven't said anything about it in a year.

Called carrot and stick. I dont expect CW for a year + if that, heck we dont even have a functioning chat lobby or custom match maker.

#55 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 January 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

Well you have fun with your particular outlook. Honestly, I don't see why you don't just ask PGI for a refund if you feel so cheated. I'm sure your tears will get through to them. Either that, or keep flaming people for investing in Mechs you don't like. I'm sure that's what you really like about MWO.

#56 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Postverybad, on 15 January 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

Forum Warfare is what they really meant when they said Community Warfare.

HA! And there definitely a lot of it! Have you been in an ECM thread before? LOL.

#57 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostSuprentus, on 15 January 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

Well you have fun with your particular outlook. Honestly, I don't see why you don't just ask PGI for a refund if you feel so cheated. I'm sure your tears will get through to them. Either that, or keep flaming people for investing in Mechs you don't like. I'm sure that's what you really like about MWO.

I paid money for a game, and I'll have that game. You see, why would I demand my money back, when I can use my investment as a shield to poke them about it until they deliver?

#58 RogueSpider

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

This mech is useless. It lasts less time than a real spider you found on your kitchen floor. 2 ravens eat it alive. There is no such thing as deep recon with this mech because all scouts go to the same locations, and any other mech will destroy a spider in nothing flat.
Why in HELLS was such a useless mech introduced? So the Devs could laugh at our posts in the forum about it is all I can think of. It's got 5 more tons than a commando and fights like it's only got 10 tons total. This mech is absolutely useless.

#59 Suprentus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 January 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

I paid money for a game, and I'll have that game. You see, why would I demand my money back, when I can use my investment as a shield to poke them about it until they deliver?

I don't see how flaming anyone who pilots a Spider or Dragon pokes the devs, to be honest. I think it just makes you look like an ingrate.

View PostRogueSpider, on 15 January 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

There is no such thing as deep recon with this mech because all scouts go to the same locations

I'm guessing you didn't actually read through my OP.

#60 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostSuprentus, on 15 January 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

I don't see how flaming anyone who pilots a Spider or Dragon pokes the devs, to be honest. I think it just makes you look like an ingrate.

I call it 'baiting golds into givng up endless stupidity I can screenshot.'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users