293 replies to this topic

#21 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

This game will never leave "beta" as it will always be in development. Russ stated this right at the end of CB. It will never have a true release it is not sold in stores and all that jazz.

LoL which is still developed on with a patch around 3 weeks was released in box at stores therefore its a release.
WoW which is still developed on was again released in stores therefore it is not beta.

You starting to see a trend? "released" for sale physically = released. F2P online only = always beta.

Though there are more subtle rules in the industry nothing states a game every leaves a beta point nor a game is ever 100% in the released point. Even NES games filled with bugs back in the game would be released later on with fixes so you you would have to say look for a 1000892 instead of a 1000891. That was pretty rare though.
And the final word is Online Games fall into a separate category then single player games. And yet again even that line is muddled now with DLC and DL bug fixes for games ala updates in Xbox and PS3

#22 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

no cuz there are other systems in place, for organized 8vs8 play besides getting 8 players together and hitting the launch button.

Spoken like a true pubbie.

There are 3 tournaments going on right now that have organized drops, and every Clan/Guild/Whatever worth half a crap has weekly organized group drops against themselves and other groups to practice. That is where the real competition is.

#23 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

Grrr is similar to me in what I think is happening via the forums.

First of all, I believe they do peruse the forums for bugs and some issues...they just don't choose to get into arguments with forum warriors who likely don't view the game holistically or would go back and forth in ad hominem attacks over and over which does nothing for legitimate debate.

It also allows them to focus on the "spirit" of the original game and the canon of the novels without being pointlessly hounded by extremists who want to argue all day about how some variant has one too many ML's or how DHS aren't being utilized correctly or damage via TT rules isn't accurate etc....when the fact of the matter is TT as a guide is workable...TT as the basis for numbers in a game that allows human coordination and reflex to take over where dice rolls left off is probably untenable....but some TT purists don't want to hear that.

I think they are focusing on netcode first, which will reduce some complaints about lights/lagshielding.

I think they'll hopefully try and fix collisions next, which will also likely reduce complaints about lights/lagS.

Once that's done, the tweaking of ECM will be less dramatic probably because lights won't be such a terror as they are now, which is one of the complaints about ECM as it stands now....then you see how tweaking ECM works with LRM/SSRM and so on.

They are privvy to many more tidbits of data than we ever will be, more metrics and they probably have a much better idea than we all think they do on what's going on. So, since it's beta and I'm not forced to pay ANYTHING to play with it....I play it, enjoy it for what it is, post the occasional bug report....weigh in occasionally (very occasionally) on balance/game issues but by and large and happy to let them figure that out. They can see better than we can regardless of what the "armchair game developers" say in these highly charged and vitriolic forums.

So, let's see how netcode fixes and collision bring the lights back to earth, see what Community warfare does for the overall game and enjoy blowing **** up in the meantime. Pay for what you like, withhold your money for what you don't and enjoy the game while it's on the net.

#24 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 16 January 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Spoken like a true pubbie.

There are 3 tournaments going on right now that have organized drops, and every Clan/Guild/Whatever worth half a crap has weekly organized group drops against themselves and other groups to practice. That is where the real competition is.

okay i'm glad you think the 8man tournaments allowing Trial mechs only are good indication of ECM balance

and please tell me how those tornaments are hosted without a custom game lobby. i hope its going well

Edited by Tennex, 16 January 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#25 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

okay i'm glad you think the 8man tournaments allowing Trial mechs only are good indication of ECM balance

What? Trial mechs? Where the **** is this guy getting his information?

#26 KingCobra

• The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'm sure they scan the forums every day the Mods for anything interesting but the truth is the fans and players are mad to a point the forums are nothing but a rant festival now. Also im sure PGI has noticed they went with the wrong type of game design. Todays kids and players want more out of there games than PGI has supplied in MWO. How would I fix MWO? Sorry they have not fixed IE10/win8 on forums so I cannot use my enter key to separate the paragraphs.#1 I would leave the game running as is and start a new redesign of the game I would use (StarTrek Online as a model).Second I would make a character creator with all the factions in Battletech.#3 I would have Mech Battles with many maps and game modes then land battles with my character against other factions and then space battles against other aero fighters would be fun. I would suggest all players and the PGI dev staff go play STO just to know what a good online game is like and that game model would have been perfect for a new MechWarrior game. They even had the cryingENG3 to do it all. My point is as a long time fan and player is they made a cheap shallow game no progression very little to do but play a little with you mech launch and die then do it all over again YAY. Plus I feel cheated by not being able to do PVE missions as a character in a virtual world or in my mech against AI opponent's in other faction houses for reward's. So what you see is what you get with MWO I have 4 founders accounts setting dead and have moved on to other online games that I get some satisfaction out of the time spent playing them. I will not say my money I spent with PGI has been in vain all I can hope is they learn by what they did not do and make the game better for all fans and players or maybe wait till another company makes a real BT/PC MechWarrior online game I can call my own. :D

#27 Tasorin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationCartman 3050 HQ

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Because we aren't in Beta no matter how much IGP tries to push that agenda.

#28 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 16 January 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

What? Trial mechs? Where the **** is this guy getting his information?

******* troll. please stop pretending do know stuff.

its people like you. that make the constructive threads out there turn into troll threads

Edited by Tennex, 16 January 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#29 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

******* troll. please stop pretending do know stuff.

The only Trial tourney is Trial By Fire. The other 2 are standard round robin tournaments with drop comps.

#30 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

I mean it has been said over and over by forum users that this game is beta.

So why ignore the beta testers?

this game is in open beta. It's not quite the same as the beta you're thinking of. There may be for example, another closed beta and a separate set of testers for Community Warfare. This Open Beta Designation basically means that the game is open to the public, available to be played and MC purchased, but the game code is a beta version.

#31 Scandinavian Jawbreaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,251 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

If I was a dev I wouldn't read a single line of this flame war the forum is having.

They have the patch feedback datas and will analyze it and use it as they see fit.

#32 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

so ignore the balance problems completely? I don't see any incremental changes to MG damage, or PPCs that has actually balanced it

any incremental changes to ECM?

anyone here see any incremental changes to ECM

See, what the **** is this ****. This is exactly what gg is talking about. WHY ARE THERE NO MG CHANGES PGI SCREW YOU IM QUITTING.

Nevermind the fact that Paul Posted not even 2 days ago that the MG change was being implemented and is currently in testing, I WANT IT NOW PGI OR I QUIT. But that would require any of you crybabies to read a damn thing. PPCs are also on the chopping block to be fixed, but you know, in a balanced fashion (basically when they can encode the EMP effect, once again, if you don't know what that is, learn2read).

Everyday people cry about matchmaking even though phase 3 is slated to come out this month, they cry about premades that they can't prove actually existed and will keep complaining to disguise how much they suck (crying about premades with a <.3 K/D ratio, HA YOU'RE THE REASON YOU LOSE), ECM because they can't play streakcats anymore or have no clue how to distinguish between complaints about ECM, streaks, and hitbox/netcode complaints (guess what, it's the latter two you hate, not the former). Every 3rd post is a I'm quitting thread, yet I see them everyday in game, ruining everyones experiences by alt+f4ing at the start of each match. No wonder they aren't having fun, if that's how I played the game I wouldn't like it very much either.

Meanwhile the actual constructive posts last like 2 pages before being drowned in wall to wall QQ, and when those get locked the OP posts another thread QQing about his QQ getting locked.

Plus I feel cheated by not being able to do PVE missions as a character in a virtual world or in my mech against AI opponent's in other faction houses for reward's

And look at this guy here. Claims to have bought 4 founders yet didn't even read a single thing before he did it, believing they should have PvE in a pure PvP (and advertised as such) game.

Edited by hammerreborn, 16 January 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#33 Kai Lui

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • LocationChoas March

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

ECM is NOT broken..
don't like it? Get a beagle.
whats that a well corewardnated team that wins?
and they use ECM?? ohhh can't be team work winning the match.
gota be ECM.
wana kill them? GET A TEAM and use beagle/ecm/tag... just like u would in table top..
oh wait... small unit tacktics... most of the beta testers don't know what that is becouse
they think BALANCE means.. Nerf the Team Players... so hears how to do that..
add a virouse to the game that disables the mics on all computers...
nerf in game txt comunications so u can't talk that way eather.. then every match will be a pug and everyone wins. :D

#34 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostTennex, on 16 January 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

I mean it has been said over and over by forum users that this game is beta.

So why ignore the beta testers?

Maybe they are ignoring the, "OMG This is f*cking broke." or "I won't spend another Kroner till you fix X." or "Lame! I quit. I played 3 matches and don't own the game yet." because the proper reaction to Knee jerking is to ignore it and listen for real critiques.

#35 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

The beta label is just an excuse. They are ignoring us because this game is already running and the only thing matters is profit.

Have fun with it while it lasts!

#36 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

View PostLukoi, on 16 January 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

Grrr is similar to me in what I think is happening via the forums.

First of all, I believe they do peruse the forums for bugs and some issues...they just don't choose to get into arguments with forum warriors who likely don't view the game holistically or would go back and forth in ad hominem attacks over and over which does nothing for legitimate debate.

It also allows them to focus on the "spirit" of the original game and the canon of the novels without being pointlessly hounded by extremists who want to argue all day about how some variant has one too many ML's or how DHS aren't being utilized correctly or damage via TT rules isn't accurate etc....when the fact of the matter is TT as a guide is workable...TT as the basis for numbers in a game that allows human coordination and reflex to take over where dice rolls left off is probably untenable....but some TT purists don't want to hear that.

I think they are focusing on netcode first, which will reduce some complaints about lights/lagshielding.

I think they'll hopefully try and fix collisions next, which will also likely reduce complaints about lights/lagS.

Once that's done, the tweaking of ECM will be less dramatic probably because lights won't be such a terror as they are now, which is one of the complaints about ECM as it stands now....then you see how tweaking ECM works with LRM/SSRM and so on.

They are privvy to many more tidbits of data than we ever will be, more metrics and they probably have a much better idea than we all think they do on what's going on. So, since it's beta and I'm not forced to pay ANYTHING to play with it....I play it, enjoy it for what it is, post the occasional bug report....weigh in occasionally (very occasionally) on balance/game issues but by and large and happy to let them figure that out. They can see better than we can regardless of what the "armchair game developers" say in these highly charged and vitriolic forums.

So, let's see how netcode fixes and collision bring the lights back to earth, see what Community warfare does for the overall game and enjoy blowing **** up in the meantime. Pay for what you like, withhold your money for what you don't and enjoy the game while it's on the net.

That's sounds great and all. I just would like to hear them say this, instead of making assumptions. Again are we getting info from 3rd party sites? Post info HERE!

#37 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 16 January 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

List?

1) every problem presented is blown way out of proportion

2) no incremental change is good enough for this community

3) typically the criticism misses the "constructive" part

4) you rehash problems they have addressed every ******* day until they are fixed

5) unrealistic self-entitlement

6) narrow view of game development

7) everything is aired in public like dirty laundry rather than emailed directly to PGI

8) most ideas are myopic and don't take other playstyles/setups/people into consideration

S'truth.

#38 Kooler

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Maybe you and your family should quit your jobs, move to Canada and volunteer your time to PGI to speed up the process, maybe you can do Tim Horton's runs for them

#39 StalaggtIKE

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostKai Lui, on 16 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

ECM is NOT broken..
don't like it? Get a beagle.

Misinformants like this is why there is so much internal strife, resulting in us being ignored.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 16 January 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#40 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 16 January 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Misinformants like this is why there is so much internal strife, resulting in us being ignored.

Oh wow, the guy thinks BAP counters ECM. Wow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users