What Are Your Thoughts On The Catapult Cplt-A1 "skillcat/boomcat"?

73 replies to this topic

#61 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

Anyone who says that this is a cheese build that takes no skill is:

1) Talking out of their ***

or

2) Never driven one and hence talking out of their ***

Seriously people. First of all you need a large XL engine to even mount 6XSRM6 with a decent amount of ammo and heatsinks. This makes you vulnerable. Your speed gives you some protection, but you need really great spatial awareness to even attempt hit and run tactics in a target this big. More importantly with fast targets you need to lead several mech lengths to hit when moving at different vectors and thirdly your ammo count is damn low. A 6xSRM6cat with 7 tons of ammo will have enough ammo for 19 alpha shots. Thats nothing, if your are a lousy shot you can kiss your kittycat goodbye....

So I dare you, try it and then tell me its a cheese build.

Edited by KerenskyClone, 17 January 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#62 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

I'm not sure if you can call "one shot killing mediums" a "hit and run" tactic. :) Hit and run normally means that you don't have the firepower to stay. But with 90 alpha damage...most Atlas don't have an alpha of 90. And those mechs who have, like the Stalker, usually have to fight heat problems.

I agree though that you need to be careful when and where to walk, due to xl-engine and limited range. Point taken.

Edited by GODzillaGSPB, 17 January 2013 - 07:56 AM.

#63 vietnamabc

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:28 AM

I think boom cat is very map dependent. Fighting Caustic is a death sentence to 6x SRM6 A1.

#64 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostKerenskyClone, on 17 January 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

It's cheese. Doesn't mean it's skill-less, although half the skill is finding the / button.

Edited by Flapdrol, 18 January 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#65 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

6 SRM6's over heat way to much the pro A1 drivers have

4 SRM6's
2 SRM4's

saves a bit of ammo you can fire up to 4 times before over heating (dependant on build details)
and still does the same job, at 1 shoting as the 6 SRM6 build.

my friend in the A1 cat build like stated above, watch the first 15 sec to see what he does to a poor Hunchie lol
1080p HD

and yes we do tease him on the chesse build lol

#66 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostIceSerpent, on 16 January 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

That would be less than impressive, I think.

TT MRM40: 12 tons, 7 crits, 12 heat, 40 dmg (1 per missile), unguided with +1 penalty to hit, 6 shots per ton of ammo.

MWO implementation would probably have 1.8 dmg per missile like LRMs and awful spread to mimic to-hit penalty. In other words, it would be an 144 pts alpha that spreads all over the place, tends to overheat a lot, and runs out of ammo really, really fast.

I would be more worried about stalkers running 3 of them... or more likely 3 40s and a 20

#67 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Skill-cat?
your joking right?
YOU MUST BE JOKING.

Im not saying its a total cheese build, and requires no skill blahblahblah...

BUT it is one of the easier builds too use effectively, simply the fact that it only works at two ranges ("Close", and "OH-GOD-I-CAN-SEE-YOUR-PILOTS-NOSEHAIRS") limits its tactical complexity to a signifigant degree, reducing the skill ceiling. Im not saying its a noob mech, but compared to anything that requires harder trigger discipline, or operates in a less defined attack range, or focuses more on careful target selection, or operates at a constant 90% heat, etc. These all require MORE skill to operate with equal effect.

It seems idiotic to refer to a very easy to learn, fairly simple to use mech as Skill-ANYTHING.

For the record, these are the terms as I have heard them:
Splatcat- 6xSRM6/4's
Boomcat-Dual ac20's
Guasscat-Dual gauss Rifles
Streakcat-6xSSRM2's

We need better names for the last 2. A friend of mine has also once referred to dual ac20's on a cat-k2 as a "Double-wang-cat". But I think we can all agree that this is best forgotten (but not forgiven).

#68 Dirty Furby

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostKerenskyClone, on 17 January 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

Anyone who says that this is a cheese build that takes no skill is:

1) Talking out of their ***

or

2) Never driven one and hence talking out of their ***

Seriously people. First of all you need a large XL engine to even mount 6XSRM6 with a decent amount of ammo and heatsinks. This makes you vulnerable. Your speed gives you some protection, but you need really great spatial awareness to even attempt hit and run tactics in a target this big. More importantly with fast targets you need to lead several mech lengths to hit when moving at different vectors and thirdly your ammo count is damn low. A 6xSRM6cat with 7 tons of ammo will have enough ammo for 19 alpha shots. Thats nothing, if your are a lousy shot you can kiss your kittycat goodbye....

I love my A1 but you sir are wrong....I have the stock engine with HS and Endo frame.....with SRM-6 x 6 WITH 600 Ammo ON TOP of AMS with 1000 Ammo. No XL Engine. A noob can easily buy this and slam 6 of them on and deal with it and a few games later get HS upgrade and ENDO and boom.

I'm a believer in the A1 takes skill...the aim despite the "Shotgun" effect is insanely hard to use against lights UNLESS you're good. Using the Arty System makes this even harder as the spread is less. Making it even a more skillful setup. Last but not least, I want you to try circling someone going around 90 km with the XL engine when you get it and try to hit someone with SRM's. I bet even the Vets here that arn't use to the SRM A1 Setup would look like total ******* idiots. But yeah I agree with you but you also have those facts seriously ****** my friend.

Edited by PlNKS, 19 January 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#69 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Demoned's vid was a good example of how dangerous an A1 can be, but I think you still need good teammates to make an A1 successful. I tried one for a while (straight up PUGing - that's all I play), and I wasn't really that successful. Once the enemy knows what you are, you're done.

And I also don't think an A1 is an easy, skill-less build. Aiming/lag-compensation has a constant learning curve, ammo is always scarce, heat management is a challenge, and you have no other weapons. At least in my opinion, anyone who can consistently do well in an A1 is basically a very smart player - good situational awareness, good decision making on the fly, knows when to pounce and when to back off, and has damn good aim. My hat's off to you guys/gals, I could never really do it.

#70 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I love my SRM6+XL315+JJ A1. It's extremely strong in any map except for the Caldera where you lack good cover.

In River City, or Frozen City, it's an absolute beast. Stay out of the water, use the buildings for cover. At about 40m every SRM tends to hit the same location, leading to one shots against a lot of mechs.

It takes care to pilot, though. If you get drawn out of cover, you'll find your ears chopped off in short order.

My build is light on ammo, but that's okay. No firing till you see the whites of their eyes. Don't waste ammo. Don't shotgun at longer ranges. They say 270m, but firing outside around 150 is generally not worthwhile (circumstances vary of course).

#71 Audd

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I got one to master after I mastered Dragons and Hunchbacks. I think it takes more skill than many want to give it credit.
It is a straight up brawler. Very short range. SRMs are good for 270m but have you seen the spread at that range, even with Artemis? This means effective distance is around <100m. They're "fast" but that is a relative term. They aren't what anyone would call a fast mover. I run all my 'cat builds with 300 XL. 82.3 kph, I believe, with speed tweak. Dragons are faster and more maneuverable, much better at the hit and run.

I can take on lights with some success. It takes patience and practice but I kill or run off about half the lights that try to take me 1 on 1. (Kudos to those that manage the win, btw!) While the potential Alpha is devastating, the miss rate compensates. Being able to hit lag-shielded 130ish kph lights takes more skill than any other weapon system in the game.

What attracts me to this particular build is that SRMs, with the delay between mouse press and actual launch, coupled with "lag shield" for the really fast movers makes aiming more art than science (for this game). It's harder to score a hit with SRMs than it is with lasers and even ballistics (not to mention SSRMs).

To be really good at it, you have to figure out how to approach. Not just get close, but how are you breaking contact - approach, strike, break off to repeat again (the "run" in "hit and run".) I use terrain a lot more with this 'cat (and Dragons) than I do with other mechs. And it's more challenging in a cat to hit and run than it is in a Dragon with its ~13 kph speed advantage (my Dragons move around 95kph). The cat forces me to pre-plan my escape whereas in the Dragon speed was the main element to break contact.

I wouldn't "alpha" either. If you miss, it's a miss with all weapons systems.

My build is Artemis with 2xSRM6 and 4xSRM4. (I might have 1 and 2 backward)
Weapon group 1: 2xSRM4 left side.
Weapon group 2: 2xSRM4 right side.
Weapon group 3: 2xSRM6 (both sides)

Fire 1, judge your lead then fire 2. Fire 3 if you've got a good line up or feel you have the lead distance pegged. Saves on ammo and gives 3 chances to hit.

I don't use what some call cheese tactics. I don't think so, anyway. I'm at/near the front. What I look for are loners, those that separate too far during battle, LRM heavy loadouts and anything with a lot of PPCs (get inside min range). Assaults I definitely do hit and run, anything else I try to double team (but that would be true in any chassis).

Biggest points: use terrain, fire intelligently, use terrain, if you get too much attention, fall back. Oh, and use terrain. DO NOT run out in open spaces without friends. Hills are great - many weapons are torso mounted and those have limited vertical traverse - so just going high ground can get you out of some of the weapons aimed your way, and spreads damage from torsos to legs.

It's a fun build, it really is. I wouldn't make it my go to mech, though. A smart team defangs it and you're left feeling less than useless.

#72 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 16 January 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

6 SRM6 CPLT-A1

Thoughts?

I think they are one of the most fun and easiest mechs to grief. Wing them from range and let them watch the rest of the match in futility. :)

Just don't let them close to range. When I see one on the opposing side I try to call for focus fire on that target.

Edited by Bagheera, 20 January 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#73 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Excellent post, Audd!

Effective brawling is so much more than just pressing a button on a high alpha strike build. It's actually quite challenging.

#74 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

I just want to add one thing, I used to run a 6xSRM6 before selling it because I needed C-bills for an Atlas or something. I was a pretty lousy pilot in it I have to say, and usually was more of a detriment to my team than anything else....

Now after mastering the Atlas, I decided to complete my kitty masters and went and bought a C4 as that was the Cat I never drove, with the intention of getting the XP on it, and then rebuying the A1 and keeping that as my Cat of choice.

Well let me say this, Im still probably getting the A1, but the C4 blows it out of the water. Yes I am a better pilot now than I was but Im having so much fun in the C4 its almost rediculous how good that Cat is.

C4 setup:

2xMPLS
4xSRM6 /w Artemis (5 tons ammo)
XL 300 engine
15x DHS
Max armor except, 3 points off each leg.

Ive stripped out the JJs obviously. It has less alpha than A1 but the same hit and run tactics apply and with the two MPLs you have much more versatility....Heat is also very managable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users