What Does Mwo Do Right?

88 replies to this topic

#1 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

What does MWO do right? Let the devs know what they are doing well at! After yesterdays hate-fest lets throw a little love their way. Please leave the negativity out of this, there are more than enough threads to put that in at the moment. I will start it off.

The mech customization is fun, visually the game looks pretty good. Most of the mechs are balanced, When people in pugs actually work together a little bit and you pull that victory out of your A$$, thats good stuff.

#2 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

The list of good aspects is so long I don't have time to list them. I think this is part of what causes the bad things to stand out so much.

#3 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

The one thing that always comes to mind is the art style

But then a lot of us have been fans of Flying Debris' work for years.

#4 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostPihb, on 16 January 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

What does MWO do right? Let the devs know what they are doing well at! After yesterdays hate-fest lets throw a little love their way. Please leave the negativity out of this, there are more than enough threads to put that in at the moment. I will start it off.

The mech customization is fun, visually the game looks pretty good. Most of the mechs are balanced, When people in pugs actually work together a little bit and you pull that victory out of your A$$, thats good stuff.

Big stompy mechs. Looks and feels like Battletech.

Playing with the mechbay is fun, if not the most intuitive interface, and having to use my 2nd monitor to google weapon/gear information because there isn't any in game is Bad (also having to pay to play with it or use a third party tool since there is no 'hypothetical' mode).

Unfortunately for me, I guess, my mind is trained to see flaws and I see way more of those; lots of things are unfixed/unfinished or don't exist at all.

Edited by Protoculture, 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#5 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

art style, gameplay (without ECM), graphics, mech design

#6 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,626 posts
  • LocationChicago

Sound fx are pretty rad.

#7 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Art is definitely good, it is hard to give an opinion on almost everything else, it is too much work in progress.

#8 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Big stompy robots blowing ten tons of S#!t out of each other! Lol

Also I love the design of the mechs! Any one as excited as me to see there designs for the clan mechs? :)

#9 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I like the art and the combat. I think they've done good jobs on both.

I just don't feel that 8v8 is the right scale. I would come back in a moments notice if they had 32v32.

#10 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

The Mechs look better than they ever have before :)

Also it has mechs

I don't really have any gripes about balance issues, netcode sucks with lights. Once that's fixed bye bye bad lights!

Edited by Merky Merc, 16 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#11 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA - the best sound in the game

#12 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

It is pretty close to Mechwarrior and a good feel of big stompy robots blowing stuff up. If they just focused on the parts that make this great game ugly, then it would truly shine as a great game. This game has a lot of potential, just some parts are screwing it in the *** right now.

#13 SpammyV

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Ooh, let's see...

I love the tank controls. The controls feel great to me. Way in the wayback times, when I first thought MWO was just going to be using MechAssault mechanics (*shiver*), it was when the devs posted that thread about the control system that I first though, "Maybe these people know what I liked in MechWarrior... maybe this game will turn out alright." And it has turned out alright, at least for me.

LRMs feel good. In MW4 there was no minimum range and their animation was hard to distinguish from SRMs. I like the sounds LRMs make and their fish-school flying patterns, even if I think they should turn more sharply upwards when fired.

Even if it's not the most efficient weapon, I love the sound and animation of the LB-10. It makes me feel that 'mech-sized shotgun I have strapped to my Centurion's arm.

I like the Mechlab customization. So, so much more in-depth than MW4's.

And I just like this game. MWO has for the moment crowded out my long time favorites of TF2 and Killing Floor for my multiplayer play time and money, and I'm finding it way more fun and less frustrating than Planetside 2.

#14 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

It doesn't have lockboxes
it doesn't have grind2win equipment zones
the pay2win is quite tame
PGI does not reach directly for your wallet by way of your throat
pvp is fun!
the devs do not publicly blame the players for the game's shortcomings
the devs do not publicly call their players idiots

While i miss my starships, but I'm still mostly having a good time pvping here now.

#15 Esplodin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

The fact that we can have an online MechWarrior game awesome enough that so many people feel the need to expend thier energy QQing endlessly and with astounding passion.

It's like how you know your in love - fight all the time, but still keep coming back for more because being away is worse.

#16 Jager Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Well for starters they actually took this project on when no one other than a bunch of guys doing it in their spare time would touch it.

Second they put up with the likes of us every day and haven't rage quit the whole project.

Those are pretty impressive in my books.

The visuals and sounds are fantastic. General gameplay and controls are great.

Now if they would only give me my Marauder (unseen or reseen I could care less) I would buy the whole office pizza and permanently put them on my christmas card list.

P.S. The pizza offer is no joke, seriously one phone call and it's there. :)

#17 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I have a pretty long list:
-Visuals. I know it's been stated, but dam. This stuff is pretty! Heck, it requires it's own subtiers:
-maps. Absolutely gorgeous.
-mechs. they all look neat. Every one.
The weapons. They all look and feel right.
-Noises. I <3 the cockpit noise for my spider so much. (yah, similar to the raven and jenner, methinks). Weapon sounds are great too. Whenever I'm in my cata and I'm using UAC5s, I feel like I'm in some kind of battle ship every time those things reload.
-XP system. The benefits it gives aren't that much, but they are significant enough to make your mech better, not to mention feel better.
-I highly appreciate having the Commando cost next to nothing.
-The new cadet system. I think it really will help new players get into their mechs.
-Hero mechs. Even though I don't have one myself (Death's Knell, get here faster), I always like it when I see someone on the field with one. It's neat.
-Weapon variety. Sure, it's nothing new for MW, but it's still worth highlighting that there's something for everyone.
-Conquest. Personal preference, but it's beginning to feel right too. The game mechanic actually means something with the recent tweak they made, meaning that you can actually win through conquest.
-Mech variety. Really, there's a lot of them. While I do see lots of want for new mechs, I've never seen someone complain about there not being a mech for them.
-The choice of how mech space is used. While I liked MW4s way of creating specific hardpoints/room for weapons, I think I'm liking this way better now. Gives more variety.

That's all I've got for now, and I've got a class to catch. But really, there is a long list of good things that the developers have done.

#18 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

the art is top notch... the update of the mechs make them look awesome.

they plucked Hayden from the community to do skins, texture maps etc which i think is cool

mech animations and destruction/damage

Edited by Dagger6T6, 16 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#19 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Graphics, overall feel, sound, levels, art, the fighting itself.
So a lot is done right.

#20 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Keeping Mechwarrior alive as a franchise.

Art, graphics, and sound (especially ladyvoice) are fairly stellar in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users