The Secret Behind Pgi's Double Xp Weekend...

48 replies to this topic

#1 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:39 AM

Still getting massive rubberbanding bad enough to cause the game to become unplayable. Obviously the double XP weekend is PGI's attempt to normalise the XP gain per match for me ;)

A summary of the issues in the video:

1. 1 second delay on commands being input. That's why I kept flicking heat vision on and off.

2. Massive rubberbanding. The mouse jumps and moves on its own accord.

Examples are:

0:44, game pulls my reticule off that Hunchback while I try to aim at him.

0:49, Movement rubberbanding making me flick around

1:05, Direct hit on slow target that would not require latency leading, no hit.

1:10, Attempting to target Cataphract, game refuses to let me, moving my cursor on its
own accord.

1:13, forced to use TAG to estimate if a hit is being made, have to hold near 2 seconds before reticule goes red to indicate hit.

1:15, Direct hit, no register.

1:18, Massive rubberbanding once more.

1:19, No hit at all on Cataphract being fired directly on. You will also note the missiles and AC20 round flying off to the left, a whole mech length away to where I'm aiming.

1:41, Ridiculous rubberband jump near 90 degrees, probably from me trying to torso twist to avoid damage

1:50, watch my futile attempts to aim at a Stalker, while the game laughs and jerks my reticule around. Also note the friendly ECM Raven warping and teleporting around.

2:20, Attempt to engage Atlas, rubberbanding makes this an impossible ordeal. Note the server pulling my reticule away from where I'm trying to aim. And another cameo appearance by the teleporting Raven.

#2 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:41 AM

I think you should contact your ISP

#3 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Unless a pipe's gone down somewhere, the whole clan with members worldwide is getting the same issue ;)

Our resident canucks who can open a window and spit in PGI's offices get the same thing, just less.

#4 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

Double XP weekend --> more people playing and the servers can't take it. If there is a secret behind this, then it's probably a stresstest. ;)

#5 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

Can honestly say I haven't noticed anything worse than normal and I live in Europe. ;)

#6 Vaneshi SnowCrash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 19 January 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

Double XP weekend --> more people playing and the servers can't take it. If there is a secret behind this, then it's probably a stresstest. ;)

That'd be my guess as well, the video looks like a server that's overloaded. Even virtualizing everything up the wazoo won't magically working around the limits of the actual silicon. More MIPS won't necessarily stop the teleporting Raven but will mean the server can keep up with "I'm looking here, what can I see?" functions.

#7 LethalRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostValore, on 19 January 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

Unless a pipe's gone down somewhere, the whole clan with members worldwide is getting the same issue ;)

Our resident canucks who can open a window and spit in PGI's offices get the same thing, just less.

I have never experienced the type of rubberbanding you are getting in this game. It is an issue with your connection. You need to start doing ping / traceroutes to PGI's server and trying to find out where the issue is.

Why didn't you hit tab and check your ping? i wouldn't be surprised if its 300+

#8 marauder612

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

I am playing from australia with 250 ms ping minim.
running i7, 7870 with 100mbit cable internet.

been playing on and off for last 6 hours
have no rubberbanding
no random mouse,

can't hit anything in a tight fight, as it always has been for the last 6 months.
the changes to targetting have meant that I have to rlearn how to shoot again.

#9 Vaneshi SnowCrash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

View PostLethalRose, on 19 January 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

I have never experienced the type of rubberbanding you are getting in this game. It is an issue with your connection. You need to start doing ping / traceroutes to PGI's server and trying to find out where the issue is.

Last night I was getting it with a nice solid 120ms ping (I'm in the EU) or at least I was seeing people with the issues shown here from my own perspective. Ping had very little to do with it, some of the people rubberbanding were sub-100 pings.

It's PGI's end not theirs/ours/yours/mine.

#10 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

Hahaha, I wish. Been happening since after the new year ;)

View PostVaneshi SnowCrash, on 19 January 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

Last night I was getting it with a nice solid 120ms ping (I'm in the EU) or at least I was seeing people with the issues shown here from my own perspective. Ping had very little to do with it, some of the people rubberbanding were sub-100 pings.

#11 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

What time do you normally play?

#12 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

View PostLethalRose, on 19 January 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

Like I said, the performance degradation's gone in from around the board. Ping just makes it happen more or less, it still happens.

#13 LethalRose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

View PostVaneshi SnowCrash, on 19 January 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

Ping is not the issue then, its packetloss.

#14 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

You recognize that you move your torso left and right and therefore your crosshair moves as well?! Are you trolling again man? All I see in your video is bad play. You not even mark targets you are fighting.

#15 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 19 January 2013 - 04:03 AM, said:

You recognize that you move your torso left and right and therefore your crosshair moves as well?! Are you trolling again man? All I see in your video is bad play. You not even mark targets you are fighting.

Okay. Then explain 1:19 where the missiles and AC round flies off at an angle where my reticule is ;)

I average 800 damage a round in most brawlers. After the New Year, its gone down to around 80 because of the rubberbanding. That's all it is.

Also may want to consider how possible it is it might be someone not bothering to hit 'R' anymore, because he's had 3 weeks or so of crappy rubberbanding, and command delay means hitting 'r' takes 1 - 2 seconds to register.

Edited by Valore, 19 January 2013 - 04:17 AM.

#16 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

Maybe the real reason behind the double XP weekend is two-fold:

1. Stress test the servers with higher population without calling it a stress test.
2. To get people like me to activate our Premium time. Which I did not do.

(CW or bust for my PT ;))

#17 Vaneshi SnowCrash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostLethalRose, on 19 January 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

Ping is not the issue then, its packetloss.

Through some method or means yep. FWIW my connection stats show zero errors or loss, so probably not my end directly. It smells like a machine going beyond its capabilities which would do that; it can't process the packet in time so it throws it overboard; but the packet was recieved and acknowledged so no stats.

#18 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

I would stop playing instead of being a burden for my team -.-

PGI needs more servers, better netcode etc... That is a know fact. And until they don't change that I won't put any more money inside it besides my elite founders.

BUT the players also need better setups.

If you think that playing over Wlan oder powerline adapter will get you the best result, well, than I must shatter your hopes. You will ALWAYS have packetloss. you will alway have problems.
I'm connected over powerline adapters to my router. One day the adapter just stopped working and I had to connect with a 10m cable to my router. My ping went from 130 to 105. I never had so much kills with my Hunch than on that day xD

#19 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

I'm seeing this more and more of late. My ping has always been above 300 at home anf around 250 at work. This game has not been smooth since the cryengine 3.4 upgrade, it's been better, it's been worse, but right now it's just bad and I think it started over the weekend just before the last "spider" patch.

#20 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

View Postslide, on 19 January 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

I'm seeing this more and more of late. My ping has always been above 300 at home anf around 250 at work. This game has not been smooth since the cryengine 3.4 upgrade, it's been better, it's been worse, but right now it's just bad and I think it started over the weekend just before the last "spider" patch.

That's an exact match to when my problems started as well. Just after New Years, slightly before the patch before the Spider one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users