67 replies to this topic

#41 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostKaelus, on 21 January 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

It's the constant implementation of new bugs that worries me. I'm sure everyone loves the getting stuck on crap thing we've been dealing with.

As you introduce things and even fix things new bugs will come up, even old bugs that were thought fixed might come back up. It is simply the nature of the world of coding.

#42 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostJman5, on 20 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

From conjuring up new maps

Sorry, I had to ignore the rest of your post to comment on how hilarious it is call it "conjuring" up a map. Like it's some sort of mystical process that thousands of fans being paid $0 per hour don't do every day for various games around the net.

No no, conjuring. It's very difficult.

Edit: While we're at it, I guess I'll just point out how hilarious to tell players what won't be coming in the patch, as if that somehow excuses it. "Guys, if you know ahead of time that nothing will change, it's not as disappointing. The devs want the game in this state, so let's just go ahead and play the 'it's just beta!' card until our fingers fall off!"

Edited by SinnerX, 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM.

#43 KuruptU4Fun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

While it may be in the back of your minds let me bring something to the forefront of it. The netcode programmers have to deal with every possible variation of mech loadout and how it affects gameplay. Last time I checked that's damn difficult to do, the loadouts are changing constantly and that varies the gameplay mechanic. The dev's are doing their best, but it's like fixing a beaver dam with a handful of chopsticks.

#44 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

I'm just waiting for a Garth Hero Mech Highlander! With an added special ability -"Super Garth Cosmic Death-From-Above Attack!!' to give a proper highlander funeral to all the trolls and treehuggers out there! ha. :(

#45 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

I am much more interested in what bugs will be introduced. From what I've seen we usually get a few every time a patch comes out.

#46 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

Okay... Assuming for a moment that PGI has some competence and isn't hard-coding everything like you HAD to do 15 years ago and is using XML files for stats and such (which Cryengine 3 is set up to use!).

Most modern games have an XML table that all things like weapon damage, armor stats, weapon ranges, etc are stored and the game references that encrypted table in real time. It is trivial to edit this and patch it in, as all they have to do is go into the XML table and modify range, damage, blah blah and send it out to the patch server.

Developers no longer have to go through hundreds of lines of code to change something. Its as simple as changing an integer and saving the XML table.

If the developers already know what changes need to be made then there is no reason why weapon changes are taking so long. Why is it taking the QA people two months to balance the damn machinegun? Do they not have a dedicated QA team?

I understand fixing the hitboxes... no scratch that I don't. The art team is working on new Mechs while we have Mechs with broken hitboxes (hello Raven!). Remember when they fixed the Cataphract head in 2 days? Why hasn't that been done for Mechs that have been here longer?

Explanation: The hitboxes are more than likely an invisible Mesh. So you have your artists make the Mech then they create a simple polygon that has a transparent texture. This simple polygon is molded so that it fits around the RT/LT, etc etc. Having watched artists do this I have to say it's trivial once the larger model is done.

But I actually do understand not getting new content like new Mechs or new Maps out every week. Everything else on that list of things not to expect ... well... yeah, having worked in the industry and done these things... I have to say it shouldn't be taking them this long.

And before you say... why don't you send them your resume? I have a good State job right now... and after the recession that is much safer for my family than the game industry is.

View PostAlilua, on 21 January 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

I am much more interested in what bugs will be introduced. From what I've seen we usually get a few every time a patch comes out.

Yeah a lot of new interface bugs lately.

Edited by xRaeder, 21 January 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#47 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

No ECM change is just massive nearly unbelievable fail....

#48 Felix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostxRaeder, on 21 January 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

Okay... Assuming for a moment that PGI has some competence and isn't hard-coding everything like you HAD to do 15 years ago and is using XML files for stats and such (which Cryengine 3 is set up to use!).

Most modern games have an XML table that all things like weapon damage, armor stats, weapon ranges, etc are stored and the game references that encrypted table in real time. It is trivial to edit this and patch it in, as all they have to do is go into the XML table and modify range, damage, blah blah and send it out to the patch server.

Developers no longer have to go through hundreds of lines of code to change something. Its as simple as changing an integer and saving the XML table.

If the developers already know what changes need to be made then there is no reason why weapon changes are taking so long. Why is it taking the QA people two months to balance the damn machinegun? Do they not have a dedicated QA team?

I understand fixing the hitboxes... no scratch that I don't. The art team is working on new Mechs while we have Mechs with broken hitboxes (hello Raven!). Remember when they fixed the Cataphract head in 2 days? Why hasn't that been done for Mechs that have been here longer?

Explanation: The hitboxes are more than likely an invisible Mesh. So you have your artists make the Mech then they create a simple polygon that has a transparent texture. This simple polygon is molded so that it fits around the RT/LT, etc etc. Having watched artists do this I have to say it's trivial once the larger model is done.

But I actually do understand not getting new content like new Mechs or new Maps out every week. Everything else on that list of things not to expect ... well... yeah, having worked in the industry and done these things... I have to say it shouldn't be taking them this long.

And before you say... why don't you send them your resume? I have a good State job right now... and after the recession that is much safer for my family than the game industry is.

Yeah a lot of new interface bugs lately.

My question is...

Why the **** do they have an internal QA team? We are supposedly BETA TESTERS, it is our job to TEST things isnt it? I am sure everyone would appreciate them tossing us things to actually test instead of deciding they want to test everything like ECM, MG, ect, internally first.

Hell they thought ECM worked as intended when they did their internal testing but when it gets to us? Naturally we find it is broke as ****, and when we try to point that out to them they just yell "NOPE IT WORKS AS INTENDED!" for MONTHS before they figure out. "Hey um...maybe those beta tester folks...kinda know what they are talking about?" Then they decide to wait months more before releasing any sort of Fixes for it. Though I have to say, I am atleast happy that they are finally working on it instead of ignoring the problem like they have been.

#49 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

I like how this thread instantly devolved into our own version of the playa hater club:

#50 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostKuruptU4Fun, on 21 January 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

While it may be in the back of your minds let me bring something to the forefront of it. The netcode programmers have to deal with every possible variation of mech loadout and how it affects gameplay. Last time I checked that's damn difficult to do, the loadouts are changing constantly and that varies the gameplay mechanic. The dev's are doing their best, but it's like fixing a beaver dam with a handful of chopsticks.

What the hell does the netcode have to do with loadouts? Directly I mean.

#51 Liquidx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostFwozen, on 21 January 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Internal QA team = friends, mums and dads, family, etc of the devs and publishers, lol :(+

This just in:
The Internal QA team no longer plays MWO, like 80% of the people who at one time downloaded and installed the game.

#52 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostKaelus, on 21 January 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

It's the constant implementation of new bugs that worries me. I'm sure everyone loves the getting stuck on crap thing we've been dealing with.

lol!! yes that seem to be true with the last few patches. "implementation of new bugs" i say its like writing with your left hand, you smudge as you write.

#53 Tompaboy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Well if this is Beta then why dont we get to test stuff out?

Why not do tweaks and changes and let us test them unless this isnt Beta and PGI
are afraid to release unfinished changes to the public?

#54 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostFelix, on 21 January 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

My question is...

Why the **** do they have an internal QA team? We are supposedly BETA TESTERS, it is our job to TEST things isnt it? I am sure everyone would appreciate them tossing us things to actually test instead of deciding they want to test everything like ECM, MG, ect, internally first.

Hell they thought ECM worked as intended when they did their internal testing but when it gets to us? Naturally we find it is broke as ****, and when we try to point that out to them they just yell "NOPE IT WORKS AS INTENDED!" for MONTHS before they figure out. "Hey um...maybe those beta tester folks...kinda know what they are talking about?" Then they decide to wait months more before releasing any sort of Fixes for it. Though I have to say, I am atleast happy that they are finally working on it instead of ignoring the problem like they have been.

Because this isn't beta. I can't believe everybody doesn't know this already.

#55 Felix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostTompaboy, on 21 January 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

Well if this is Beta then why dont we get to test stuff out?

Why not do tweaks and changes and let us test them unless this isnt Beta and PGI
are afraid to release unfinished changes to the public?

Well, we are supposed to be beta testers, but we arent really. The game is in a state of soft launch, they just wont admit to it because they can rely on fanboys to wheel out the "Well its just a beta!" argument to cover up any mistakes or major screw ups that PGI makes due to their inexperience.

View PostVassago Rain, on 21 January 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

Because this isn't beta. I can't believe everybody doesn't know this already.

**** I know its not a beta, thats why I said we are "supposedly" beta testers. :(

#56 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

They're a week past their own timetable on the Scoreboard, something which should be relatively simple, I would expect that.

#57 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 20 January 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

on the other hand if what you want is the crappiest hero mech to date and possibly some more cockpit items, then you might be in luck

Hey, he looks like Megaman. At least that counts for something, right? Imagine the rage in the forums if it was a sleek, jet black Raven Hero mech with ECM, Jump Jets, and 4 missile hard points. :(

#58 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostElizander, on 21 January 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:

Hey, he looks like Megaman. At least that counts for something, right? Imagine the rage in the forums if it was a sleek, jet black Raven Hero mech with ECM, Jump Jets, and 4 missile hard points. :(

Lol. Which I'm sure is sitting on someone's TO DO list.

#59 Kaelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostFelix, on 21 January 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

My question is...

If you would believe it they also have interim testers at IGP or at least did. Also internal testing is done 12v12, no ballistic lag, and no lagshield as it's a local server. Not a wonder they are disconnected from the reality of the game.

#60 Ilwrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostKaelus, on 21 January 2013 - 02:48 AM, said:

If you would believe it they also have interim testers at IGP or at least did. Also internal testing is done 12v12, no ballistic lag, and no lagshield as it's a local server. Not a wonder they are disconnected from the reality of the game.

Remember the first version of Artemis. That got through their internal testing. The finger of God was okay by their testers. The finger of God that gave me 70k+ xp on my catapult before they had to nerf it.

I don't know if this is correct but some say that their internal testers are all from somethingawful.

Edited by Ilwrath, 21 January 2013 - 02:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users