Mosted Hated Battletech/Mechwarrior/Dark Age character

97 replies to this topic

#81 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostStern ES, on 30 May 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

1) Candace father was insane. Romano was insane. Kali was insane. Sun-Tzu looks good compared to that. However, last time I checked his kid Daoshen has a baby, with his SISTER.

2) It hardly matters what someone did to you, it is if they are a threat. I don't believe Omi Kurita was a threat to anyone either. If you know five years down the road this is going to be a problem, resolve it now.

3) Candace has/had the resources to rule effectively. She was able to get into Sian with no trouble and get aid from allies to get there.

4) He didn't LET her do anything. The St. Ives Compact existed since he was 8.

5) I guess you forgot that he attacked the St. Ives Compact in 3060. You know, once he got into a stronger position.

6) What about HER son? Kai technically has a line on the throne. Sun-Tzu knows it. Shouldn't she be a LITTLE concerned for her kid?

1) That has nothing to do with Sun Tzu being spared by Candace.

2) As I previously said, you won't murder a child that did nothing to you if you have just a bit of humanity in yourself. Kuritans probably lack that (at least their leaders).

3) It was actually a warrior house that helped here get in and out. They knew Confederatin would be doomed if left under Romano's rule.

4) The fact about St. Ives is that when he forced it back into Confederation, he didn't execute Candace. He left here the rule and even gave her a home in the palace on Sian. Other rulers would have stripped her of power right away to secure the rulership over the people there and then kill her, not let her rule and invite her to sit next to them.

5) Candace couldn't possibly know the impact of her decision, but well...

6) Kai? If Davions attacked St. Ives, he would be the one stabbing her on spot. And both she and Sun Tzu knew that he would never want to claim the throne and that Capellans ould never allow him to do so, either. :(

#82 Kal Raddick

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

i know less of other battlemechs but i loved Geoff Bekker's KODIAK. 360deg attack angle, with brawler attack, 3 targets and not to mention 24point defence......hehehehe kill that. never fell off a 1000point game.

#83 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostIan, on 25 May 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

You mean Peter Davion?

*Ahem!* Some of us are still working our way through the novels and have not made it that far yet, please dont carelessly announce major spoilers whether they be educated guesses or confirmed.

#84 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

View PostPsychoFarmer, on 26 May 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Devlin Stone. He is named after Dean Devlin, the guy who was going to produce the Mechwarrior movie. If the Mechwarrior Clix game people weren't annoying enough for putting their names in to the game, this guy takes the cake.

The following is from IGN:

If there's one thing I've learned in my time as an online entertainment writer it's this: If a project involves anything remotely resembling giant robots, it has to be cool. Filmmaker Dean Devlin (Eight Legged Freaks, Independence Day, The Patriot) would probably agree. According to today's Hollywood Reporter, Devlin has just signed on to produce a feature film based on the popular gaming franchise MechWarrior (the universe MechAssault exists within). Paramount Pictures is in talks to snag the rights to the property from Wiz Kids, the game's Seattle-based developer, for Devlin's Electric Entertainment.

Devlin's commitment to the project is certain, but his level of involvement is yet to be determined. He tells the trade, "Whether I write the script or help with the script or direct, I'm crazy about the material, and this is a real passion project for me."

He says he plans to make the film look like a $150 million movie with an actual budget of less than $100 million. By contrast, Devlin's Eight Legged Freaks cost just $30 million to make. "The type of CG we'd use for this movie, in which warriors battle in giant mechanized suits of armor, would be much easier to create than spiders," he says. "We had 200 CG shots in Freaks, and I think we could get a lot more out of this film."

The best-selling PC game has spawned a handful of sequels and console ports over the years, with the predominate Mech o' the moment being MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries. Ivan Sulic, IGN's resident Mech-head says in his review, "I long for MechWarrior even when I play MechWarrior. Masterfully manipulating dozens of keys on the keyboard to flush coolant, switch weapon groups, delegate down orders, blow the arms off a troublesome Thor, dodge a flurry of SRMs, and at the same time jump jet over a small plateau to reach a critical objective that needs a critical murdering is marvelous. It always has been."

The filmmakers won't be able to recreate such tactile thrills, but hopefully they'll give MechWarrior fans a solid story and, at the very least, a look at some jaw-dropping, big-screen-sized Mechs. Keep your browser set to IGN FilmForce for the latest on MechWarrior and all the games-to-film news you know you want!

So what happened, NOT a movie obviously!

#85 Veldrin Coulbauth

• Pip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 June 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

2) As I previously said, you won't murder a child that did nothing to you if you have just a bit of humanity in yourself. Kuritans probably lack that (at least their leaders).

3) It was actually a warrior house that helped here get in and out. They knew Confederatin would be doomed if left under Romano's rule.

4) The fact about St. Ives is that when he forced it back into Confederation, he didn't execute Candace. He left here the rule and even gave her a home in the palace on Sian. Other rulers would have stripped her of power right away to secure the rulership over the people there and then kill her, not let her rule and invite her to sit next to them.

6) Kai? If Davions attacked St. Ives, he would be the one stabbing her on spot. And both she and Sun Tzu knew that he would never want to claim the throne and that Capellans ould never allow him to do so, either. :D

1 through 5 are all valid points but...

6: when has that ever mattered in the books or real life

#86 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostMystwolf, on 25 May 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

I second this....she killed her mother tried to take out others in her family, she killed Omi, and she liked Vlad....... and then she uses hers and her brothers DNA to make a child.....this is one sick puppy.
Okkkkkaaaayyyy. I missed this lil bit of news! Just Ewwww. Yeah the Ice Queen for best worst character ever!

#87 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Three way tie.......

Devin Stone (Marty Sam)

Katherine Steiner-Davion (She can be mathematically represented as Romano + Junchiro + Kali ^2)

Caleb Davion (Schizo)

#88 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

For me it's a tie between Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion and Vlad Ward.

Katherine reads like a writer's experiment to see how much bat **** crazy and overwhelming stupidity can be fit into one character.

On the other hand Vlad is even worse. He's just flat out boring. Most of the clanners are uni-dimensional but he is so flat it's difficult to wrap you mind around.

Sun Tzu Liao may be an annoying little *******, but at least he's interesting.

Edit: Apology for the unintended topology joke.

Edited by daetrin voltari, 16 June 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#89 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGermany, Niedersachsen, Göttingen

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Katherine Steiner Davion - mostly for killing the Gray Death Legion
Aleksandr Kerensky - for beeing the biggest Chicken in this Universe (with the dumbest Idea ever - the Clans)
All of the Jadefalken

And for Sun Tzu Liao, i pretty much like him. He has a good Head on his shoulders, compared to the rest of the IS-Leaders.

#90 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostJanus Wealth, on 16 June 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Aleksandr Kerensky - for beeing the biggest Chicken in this Universe (with the dumbest Idea ever - the Clans)
All of the Jadefalken

And for Sun Tzu Liao, i pretty much like him. He has a good Head on his shoulders, compared to the rest of the IS-Leaders.

please don't comment on clan lore when you have no idea what you are talking about y/n

#91 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostCik, on 16 June 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

please don't comment on clan lore when you have no idea what you are talking about y/n

I did read most of the BT-Books. I could not lay hands on every book, but i missed just 6-10 books. (Dark Age excluded)

#92 rilianv

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostJanus Wealth, on 16 June 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

All of the Jadefalken

Aleksander Kerensky had nothing to do with the creation of the clans. That was all Nicholas Kerensky's doing. The father may have lead the exodus but the son was the one who created the biggest threat to the Inner Sphere

And my least favorite would be Nicholas Kerensky for creating the clans in the first place and not clearly defining their goals to protect the Inner Sphere.

Edited by rilianv, 16 June 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#93 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I'd say Jerome Blake for making comstar. That lead to a majority of the annoying parts of the inner sphere, mainly comstar. There is already one catholic church, then we get a techy one.....

To be honest the clans never bothered me too much.

#94 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

View Postrilianv, on 16 June 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Aleksander Kerensky had nothing to do with the creation of the clans. That was all Nicholas Kerensky's doing. The father may have lead the exodus but the son was the one who created the biggest threat to the Inner Sphere.

Well, but if daddy wouldnt had run away, his son couldnt have created the clans, eh?
And i bet a Catapult that Nicholas has taken a lot of ideas and/or opinions from daddy... ;)
I know that this pro/contra-clan stuff is an emotional thing, but it is my opinion. No more, no less. :(

#95 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postdaetrin voltari, on 16 June 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

For me it's a tie between Katherine Morgan Steiner-Davion and Vlad Ward.

Katherine reads like a writer's experiment to see how much bat **** crazy and overwhelming stupidity can be fit into one character.

On the other hand Vlad is even worse. He's just flat out boring. Most of the clanners are uni-dimensional but he is so flat it's difficult to wrap you mind around.

Sun Tzu Liao may be an annoying little *******, but at least he's interesting.

Edit: Apology for the unintended topology joke.

True, Vlad makes Nicolai Malthus look like a triumph of characterization.

#96 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Devlin Stone
The man becomes the founder of the Republic of the Sphere to fight the WOB. Now that's all well and good, but my problem is that he becomes a lazy version of Aleksandr Kerensky. But he is far worse than Kerensky.

Here are some comparisons between the two individuals.

Reasons why they left the Inner Sphere:
Aleksandr Kerensky- Because he had enough of the Inner Sphere fighting each other.
Reason:LEGIT

Devlin Stone-The Inner Sphere was too peaceful and he wanted to leave in case the Inner Sphere ,"needed him the most."
Reason:LAZY

Aftermaths:
Aleksandr Kerensky-He died of a heart-attack and left his son Nicholas in charge of the SDIE(Star League-in-Exlie) and later on, the Clans.

Devlin Stone-He ate Cheetos and ice cream in his underwear and gained 50lbs.

The Most Devastating Eras:
Clan Invasion-Four Clans carved parts of the Inner Sphere for themselves and lost the Great Refusal. The Smoke Jaguars died,The Nova Cats were Abjured and Clan Steel Viper was forced out.

Dark Age-The factions in the Fortress Republic fought againist itself both inside and outside. While those who were left outside were left to die. Bascially it's the Succession Wars all over again.

I bet Devlin had some sort of sick perverted pleasure knowing that the Inners Sphere is at war again, while he sits back and LHAO(I would spell it out but it's because of the filtering, but you'll understand if you know would LMAO means).Even his ROTS are doing a bad job protecting the Inner Sphere contributing to the Dark Age Era.

That is why Devlin Stone is the...
Posted Image
1#Douchebag of the Battletech Universe!!!

Edited by Will9761, 30 June 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#97 Stern ES

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 June 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

6) Kai? If Davions attacked St. Ives, he would be the one stabbing her on spot. And both she and Sun Tzu knew that he would never want to claim the throne and that Capellans ould never allow him to do so, either. :angry:

1) Why was he spared? It still doesn't make any sense. She was too lazy to rule? She thought some kid would somehow by a better fit than herself? Come on, if she seized the throne she could have said whatever she wanted to the people, and they would have followed. You are leaving a kid to the internal politics of the Confederation? How many enemies do you think his mother made? Not to mention she just murdered his mom AND dad. Be cool kid, I'm giving you the throne, just had to murder your parents. Hope you don't have any animosity.

2) Oh come on now, since when? It isn't about what the kid DID to you, it is what the kid a) represents b] what the kid could do to you in the future c) could the kid comeback to kill you.

3) I highly doubt it was JUST a warrior house. House Imarra and Ion Rush if I remember correctly, but she still had to get on a ton of dropships, sneak into Sian and kill both Tsen Shang and Romano, and it isn't like she just knocked. Either House Imarra is infinitely more powerful than I remember or there were other forces at play. Not to mention all it takes is one warrior house to be able to assassinate the leader of the confederation? Yikes!

4) Oh please! Hey, he didn't execute Candace out of the goodness of his heart because he didn't want a Rasalhague district/constant rebellion of his own. "Hey, I made war on your people and country, destroyed lives, ruined much, but I left you alive! You can thank me later!" Not to mention he kept her hostage after basically. Yeah, that decision to not kill him really played out well. Kai could have died in that war. What then? Oops! Sorry son, I screwed up!

5) Really? Candace couldn't put a little forethought into it? Hmmm....yes......could this come back to haunt me in anyway? Will he just allow to breakaway and not possibly attack in the future? Come on.

6) Huh? Kai would have stabbed Canadace? Kai doesn't have to WANT to take the throne, he just has to exist to be a threat to it. By being alive, he is a threat to the throne and Sun-Tzu's rule. As for your last point, Capellans follow. If Kai came in murdered Sun-Tzu, took the throne, there would be some media spin and some explanation of how Sun-Tzu was crazy/planning to betray the people, etc. The truth is whatever who in charge says it is.

Edited by Stern ES, 01 July 2012 - 06:58 AM.

#98 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostRiptor, on 25 May 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

Kathrina... she was the douchiest of douchebags.

But to be brutaly honest everyone that trys to rule the galaxy... i mean really? You want to rule the entire galaxy for what reason exactly? So you can fill out tons and tons of paperwork? This goes both for IS and the clans.

They cant even rule their own goddam regions of humankind effectivly and yet everyone thinks that ruling over everyone is a great idea?

And ofcourse then theres the gallery of "plot armored" characters that pop up over and over again.. kai allard... victor... devlin... not very interesting when you know beforehand that they will make it out without even a scratch.

Ironically I don't really mind characters like Katherine that are supposed to be hated. She was a villain and so if people hate her then that just means that the writers are doing their job.

However I don't like 'Mary Sue'/plot armor characters like Devlin, Kai, Victor, ect because they make for weak stories IMHO.

Top of my list is probably Devlin, partially because I'm not a huge fan of post Civil War but most importantly because he's almost a quintessential 'mary sue'. He comes out of nowhere, everyone instantly loves him and remarks about how great he is, everything he touches is golden and then he pulls a king 'Arthur' and disappears. Mystery characters can be a good thing, but I found myself not really caring who he was, was he just a generic redeemed WoB grunt or Arthur Steiner-Davion? I didn't really care.

Second is probably Kai, mostly because the plot armor on him was too think you could hardly see the character through it. I didn't hate him but I was usually not very interested in anything that involved him.

I didn't really care for Victor but he was ok, he actually had some inner turmoil and problems and some personal tragedy which made him at least somewhat interesting.

I didn't like Vlad either, I didn't have a problem with him being a jerk (he was a villain), but I not a huge fan of writer's fiat. I kinda got the impression that he became Khan not because of the merits of the character but more because he was a foil of Phelan's early on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users