Centurion Cn9-Al Request Build

53 replies to this topic

#1 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Ok in a match i gave some guy some crap for having a really bad build for the Centurion AL. He said he was open to new idea's, and i told him i would post the build on the forum. Here are 2.

Short ranged Brawler
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...14fe6ef80d50515

Should run very cool. You should be able to nearly spam all weapons, Your a close ranged brawler. Tank with your arms, as even when your a walking stick figure you'll still have 2 medium lasers. Use your speed to flank in battles, and get behind people. you need about 8 seconds (2 volleys) in the back to kill most mechs. If your fighting head on, use the missles to crack the armor, use the lasers to hit weak points.

LRM Sniper

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...357e1985761e3e6

Here you have an LRM 15 and 2 PPC's and a TAG. Use the tag as a laser sight. When you get a lock, fire the LRM's, then fire the dual PPC's. Being hit by PPC's, juggles the cockpit, and seems to confuse enemys, as they don't notice the incoming missles right away. This lessons the chance to escape. Your vulnerable to other snipers, so use the mech's speed to retreat and reposition if being fired on.

You can Also run a mobile missle boat, however despite the big damage numbers, they don't help the group as much as another tank.

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

out of curiosity, what was his build that you considered so bad you had to pick on him? I use an AL with a PPC, 2ml, 1 srm6, BAP, and maxed armor. it works well for me and never overheats.

#3 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

constructive criticism at its best.
2 great centurions.

all's i would add to the long range platform is that it has a glaraing weakness to light mechs, and brawlers who get the drop on it.
it is a beautifull loadout though. and i would change a few minor things. switch the lrm15 for 2 lrm 5. it saves 3 tons in weight, and the recycle time should make up for the 5 less missles (it actually raises the dps if you add on 3 more DHS to sustain fire a little longer.)

you could also.
include a TAG in the CT,
change 1 PPC to an ERPPC

i might use a simillar set up once PPCs get a buff against ECM, chain firing a ppc then missles, then ppc then missles for maximum effiective ness.

#4 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostShade4x, on 30 January 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

#1 is a Hunchback-4SP in a different mech.

#2 the LRM-15 is going to sputter out, use LRM-10+5 for one big shot. Just one PPC is enough really, 2 is overkill unless it's your main weapon (like a AC/20 Hunchback).

Experienced players will leg Centurions, since it's much easier than both arms/torsos then CT. (Don`t skimp on leg armour.)

Edited by Stingz, 30 January 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#5 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 30 January 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

out of curiosity, what was his build that you considered so bad you had to pick on him? I use an AL with a PPC, 2ml, 1 srm6, BAP, and maxed armor. it works well for me and never overheats.

I think it was something an ER large laser and a medium laser or something. He was trying to snipe with the ER large laser, Despite the lack of weapons, it was suprisingly heat inefecient.

#6 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostEl Death Smurf, on 30 January 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

constructive criticism at its best.
2 great centurions.

all's i would add to the long range platform is that it has a glaraing weakness to light mechs, and brawlers who get the drop on it.
it is a beautifull loadout though. and i would change a few minor things. switch the lrm15 for 2 lrm 5. it saves 3 tons in weight, and the recycle time should make up for the 5 less missles (it actually raises the dps if you add on 3 more DHS to sustain fire a little longer.)

you could also.
include a TAG in the CT,
change 1 PPC to an ERPPC

i might use a simillar set up once PPCs get a buff against ECM, chain firing a ppc then missles, then ppc then missles for maximum effiective ness.

Agreed, however dual ppc's at close range with that heat profile can still pack a punch. It's still 12 damage in one location, at that point you can use them as a make shift AC/10. You can also throw a small laser in at the expense of leg armor. (yea atm i see almost no benifit in chain firing. I rather aim my shots and focus the damage)

#7 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostStingz, on 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

#1 is a Hunchback-4SP in a different mech.

Very good. It's also an effective build. He wanted a centurion build, most likely because he was maxing his centurions. The build works and its proven

#2 the LRM-15 is going to sputter out, use LRM-10+5 for one big shot. Just one PPC is enough really, 2 is overkill unless it's your main weapon (like a AC/20 Hunchback).

Unless i'm mistaken, it's got 10 tubes. Reguardless if you do LRM 15 or LRM 5+10, it will sputter in 2 shots.

First off, it is it's main weapon, and 2nd off, 2 PPC's is never over kill. 1 Is nearly useless. The Average armor is going to be around 40 in the CT atleast. Meaning best case scenerio, you need 4 shots CT to core with 1 PPC. With the LRM's, you can realisiticly pull off 1-2 shots with everything and kill a mech. The only time 1 PPC would work is if you put more LRM's on. That of course means your relying more on the luck of the LRM's hitting where you want.I would love to hear another reason.

Experienced players will leg Centurions, since it's much easier than both arms/torsos then CT. (Don`t skimp on leg armour.)

Thats completely stupid. No expierenced player would shoot off any players arms, then torso then CT. They would simply shoot the CT.

Now lets do some math. 31 in each legs adds up to .... 62. So the enemy would have to do 62 damage to kill this mech by legging it. There is 41 in the center torso. Thats 41 damage. Which has more armor, 2 legs or one CT? Oh the back right? they can leg you and then shoot your back.... 31 + 19 is 50. Which is greater, 1 leg and back armor at 50 or 1 center core of 42? Even maxing CT damage then turning and maxing back CT armor is 60. While the 1 leg is shot, you'll be shooting dual ppc's, even at point blank thats 12 damage. So tell me why an expierenced player would leg a centurion instead of shoot for the center torso?

#8 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostShade4x, on 30 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Very good. It's also an effective build. He wanted a centurion build, most likely because he was maxing his centurions. The build works and its proven

Unless i'm mistaken, it's got 10 tubes. Reguardless if you do LRM 15 or LRM 5+10, it will sputter in 2 shots.

First off, it is it's main weapon, and 2nd off, 2 PPC's is never over kill. 1 Is nearly useless. The Average armor is going to be around 40 in the CT atleast. Meaning best case scenerio, you need 4 shots CT to core with 1 PPC. With the LRM's, you can realisiticly pull off 1-2 shots with everything and kill a mech. The only time 1 PPC would work is if you put more LRM's on. That of course means your relying more on the luck of the LRM's hitting where you want.I would love to hear another reason.

Thats completely stupid. No expierenced player would shoot off any players arms, then torso then CT. They would simply shoot the CT.

Now lets do some math. 31 in each legs adds up to .... 62. So the enemy would have to do 62 damage to kill this mech by legging it. There is 41 in the center torso. Thats 41 damage. Which has more armor, 2 legs or one CT? Oh the back right? they can leg you and then shoot your back.... 31 + 19 is 50. Which is greater, 1 leg and back armor at 50 or 1 center core of 42? Even maxing CT damage then turning and maxing back CT armor is 60. While the 1 leg is shot, you'll be shooting dual ppc's, even at point blank thats 12 damage. So tell me why an expierenced player would leg a centurion instead of shoot for the center torso?

Don't answer that last part. And shade, you should know better than to respond to anything that starts with "Experienced players will..." Gonna turn the damn thread into a flame. Good builds so far. I would add,

ERLL
2ML
TAG
LRM15

Standard engine, whatever fits, and double sinks. I use the ER and the LRMS at range, and use the mediums sporadically as they close. Sniping with an ERLL makes just as much sense as a PPC, and you are less likely to throw away ten damage if you blow the shot. Plus a large laser stays effective at any range.

#9 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

23 is definitely not enough armor for the legs. It's much easier to shoot a Centurion's legs than the Center Torso, which they always twist to cover with their arms, and even when they're straight on is a harder target.

I always go for the legs on Centurions, unless someone else has been pounding them in the torso, and sometimes even then. It's a pleasant surprise when one skimps on their leg armor, especially as they often keep their ammo there. And you only need to take out one leg to effectively kill a mech.

Take half a ton of armor out of the claw arm and stick it in the legs.

Edited by Jaded Jasper, 30 January 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#10 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Not sure of the engine he was rocking but he had 2 LL, lrm 10(15) and 2 med Lasers, seemed pretty good (i would take srm for lrm)

#11 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

The AL is a huge chassis to work off... it can sport large energy weapons or LRM's easy.

I run mine with a Std200 engine, 2 LL, 2 ML, 2 SRM4 (ton of ammo) then max out armour and DHS... long-range engagment and heat management with the LL burns holes fast and scares snipers, and once brawling I have the punch to back up the heavier mech's.

#12 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Here's a long range Large Laser support Centurion I've come up with:

Standard 200 Engine
15 Double Heat Sinks
Endo Steel
High Armor: 336/338
Firepower: 44/175

Armament
2x Large Laser (right arm)
1x AMS (right torso)
2x Small Laser (center torso)
2x SRM4 (left torso)

Ammo contained in legs to save tonnage from CASE. Make sure to fire the Large Lasers in chain mode to conserve heat. Use your left shield arm to block and absorb damage.

#13 Shade4x

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostPostumus, on 30 January 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Don't answer that last part. And shade, you should know better than to respond to anything that starts with "Experienced players will..." Gonna turn the damn thread into a flame. Good builds so far. I would add,

ERLL
2ML
TAG
LRM15

Standard engine, whatever fits, and double sinks. I use the ER and the LRMS at range, and use the mediums sporadically as they close. Sniping with an ERLL makes just as much sense as a PPC, and you are less likely to throw away ten damage if you blow the shot. Plus a large laser stays effective at any range.

Perhaps, however if someone is trying to learn a good build, i feel i should try to keep this accurate as possible. Feel free to flame, i just ignore that stuff anyways. If someone has a valid response, i'll respond to it and would love to find out why they choose whatever they choose. If it makes sense, then i learn, if it doesn't, then its up to them if they want to learn or not.

I disagree with the large laser for snipeing though, You may notice PPC's shooting, but you never know where they are coming from. A large laser gives anyone a full second to look, lock in, and target them. PPC's also juggle the cockpit, so its harder to return fire, Further more, i don't understand why you would use chain fire. Your pretty much screaming "hey i'm over here" which is not wise for a sniper, and your ensuring the least effective means if they pop back in for cover. Finally the large laser damage spreads all over the target. That means your not killing or stripping. It's simply maximizing the armor of the enemy. (you end up doing 2 to the torso, 3 to the arms, 2 damage misses, then 3 damage to the legs and perhaps 2 damage to the other torso.)

Also ER large lasers are the most heat ineffecient weapon in the game for the damage and dps they do. They just have extra range, but become completely useless once you learn how to lead a target with PPC's. I'd love to hear any counter arguement. I just don't see the point.

#14 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

I do not own an AL yet, but it will be my next mech purchase.

Here is my theoretical build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7821231a51ab012

Any suggestions to it?

#15 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

My preferred CN9-AL: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8c672acbe92829d

Solid and unexceptional, gets the job done.

#16 SirSlaughter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 370 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

My build so far:

2 PPC
2 Med las
2 Streak, 1 ton
XL260
15 double heasinks
Endo steel

#17 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

I do like your build Escef, it looks solid.
I would miss the punch of some SRMs though.

@SirSlaughter: I prefer my Cents with Standard Engines, it is just nice being able to zombie with them.

#18 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

View PostEwigan, on 31 January 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

I do like your build Escef, it looks solid.
I would miss the punch of some SRMs though.

I used to run SRMs and an AMS, I junked them both for the bigger engine. I honestly don't miss them.

Edited by Escef, 31 January 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#19 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostEscef, on 31 January 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

My preferred CN9-AL: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8c672acbe92829d

Solid and unexceptional, gets the job done.

I run Escef's build in my favourite CN9-AL. Mobility combined with the long range dependable damage of the 2xLLAS is fantastic.

I also run a very goofy LRM boat build with another CN9-AL. 2xLRM15+Artemis, 3xMLAS, TAG, and a XL250 engine. Breaks all the rules, does surprisingly well. I know, taking an XL Engine in a Cent is a travesty, I AGREE. But it can also be pretty damn fun to whip around the map at 89KPH and bomb the **** out of people with super fast TAG+Art+Moduals locks. I wouldn't buy the parts to make this mech JUST for this mech. But if you have an XL250 lying around, some LRM15 packs, and don't mind springing for Artemis, than it is actually pretty damn fun.

#20 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostShade4x, on 30 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

The Centurion has x2 M.Lasers in the CT (and can still kill). Twisting means forcing your opponent to burn away everything first. (It's why some Centurions feel ridiculously durable)

The legs are always there, probably holding ammo, and very likely skimmed on armor to save weight.

Edited by Stingz, 31 January 2013 - 04:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users