Mech commander 2

94 replies to this topic

#61 James Pryde IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have done what the post says too, however when I click on the EXE to Launch the game, and window pops up (as in its loading the game) and then disappears ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers

#62 Roaxis Stalomainis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostImglidinhere, on 05 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Sorry to revive this thread again, but I've got this issue that I can't seem to get around. >.<

When I start up the game, MechCommander 2, it opens a black window and immediately closes before I can do anything. I followed the steps for installing but nothing works. Tried compatibility mode AND deleted the files prior to doing so. I even tried starting it up on a different computer without doing any of the fixes here. Posted Image

Anyone able to help out? I've been trying to play this game for the past two years to no avail. Now I see why it's freeware...

Yes, I'm performing battletech field repairs with my MFB... Don't tell Paul I snuck one into the game. ;)

As for the problems you seem to be having it sounds like you are trying to do my method. I use an .iso file to mount in a virtual disk drive then run the game though the launcher I got from installation. As for compatability mode I would try XP SP2 or 3. The video card tweaks are totally new to me, kudos to you for finding that one! In addition to that I did not mention that I used the original steps I posted to install and play on a Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit machine... Maybe I should make a youtube video of this? If you're confused by the sudden tinge of dislike in that last note, well, I'm not a FRAPS/Hypercam fan. ;)

#63 Roaxis Stalomainis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 28 May 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

great game, wont run or even install on 64 bit systems. let alone 128 bit.

Oh, it runs on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, it's just that the files need a little updating. It's a 32-bit game so it should run just fine on a 64-bit system. I'll see if I can't get hold of a copy of XNA Game Dev software and rework the code provided by Microsoft to improve performance on Windows 7. It will take a lot of time, but your best bet for now is the use the MechCommander2-Loaded ISO and run the game off of that. Please keep in mind that MechCommander and MechCommander 2 will NOT function properly without the CD in your tray or loaded into a virtual drive. That is probably the reason why everyone is getting mission load errors.

#64 KovuTalli

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Anyone else having issues with the Microsoft download where none of the briefing and pilot videos don't play?

#65 Raven IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

I believe that is the Source Code version, correct? Microsoft removed the ability to play those, as the game requires third-party software for that, so the source does not include it.

Try the MechCommander OmniTech or Wolfman mods, as one of those should have that fixed. However, I could be wrong.

#66 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

source code version works but you have to "mount" it,
however the omnitech version is just better. has updates to resolution modes and etc and you dont need the sourcecode version for it.

#67 KovuTalli

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I'll have a look for the Omnitech version, ty =D

#68 Josh Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

So has anyone recently got the multiplayer to work for MC2? What about MC1?

#69 Roaxis Stalomainis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 143 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostJosh Davion, on 13 April 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

So has anyone recently got the multiplayer to work for MC2? What about MC1?

Unfortunately you need a third party client to play Mechwarrior 1 and 2 now. They were dropped from the Microsoft Gaming Network a long time ago, but you can probably arrange private matches on a remote multiplayer server if you can find one for MechCommander.

#70 connta

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 28 May 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

great game, wont run or even install on 64 bit systems. let alone 128 bit.

you have a 128 bit system? which one?

#71 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostImglidinhere, on 05 December 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Sorry to revive this thread again, but I've got this issue that I can't seem to get around. >.<

When I start up the game, MechCommander 2, it opens a black window and immediately closes before I can do anything. I followed the steps for installing but nothing works. Tried compatibility mode AND deleted the files prior to doing so. I even tried starting it up on a different computer without doing any of the fixes here. Posted Image

Anyone able to help out? I've been trying to play this game for the past two years to no avail. Now I see why it's freeware...

I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about this issue, as I've had the exact same thing on my very different Laptop and Desktop PCs. I've been up all night trying to solve it (I've also gone a bit insane doing so). I tried the version from the original disk on both PCs, I tried the freeware version on my Laptop. I always deleted the .csv files, and used compatability mode but nothing works. Except...

Except that it has worked before, on my current laptop, with two saves Screenshots serving as proof. I don't know what I borked between now and then, the only major thing I remember doing was updating my driver version. I'm going to try to downgrade this thing, and see if that works. Luckily I know exactly which version I had before the update.

Edit: Well the update was completely sucessful and Mechcommander 2 still does not function on my laptop. Sad face.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 20 August 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#72 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

Mechcommander Omnitech was a blast when I've played it. It did have a few problems here and there but I had a ball with how much content and features it had. The salvaging aspect feels right unlike the original Mechcommander 2 and I have to give the creators props for recreating the campaigns from Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries because it felt pretty faithful to the original MW2 despite some of the changes(even though there was no Luthien mission, but hey you gotta know you limits).

Edited by Will9761, 23 December 2013 - 07:49 AM.

#73 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostRoaxis Stalomainis, on 27 May 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Here is a little bit of tech support for newer computers.

MechCommander Gold:
  • When you attempt to install the game it runs a 16-bit installer. This game will run with Windows 7 and Windows XP easily, however, if you are running the 64-bit editions of these systems you need to be aware that the graphics will bug and cause the game to crash.
  • For Windows Vista/7 the tweak is simpler than you would think. First, to install the game copy all files from the CD into the desired directory. ex: C:\Users\%Username%\Documents\MCG\
  • Then you need to enable compatibility mode for WIndows XP by right clicking the game executable and clicking on properties. Check the "Run in Compatibility" mode box and in the drop down menu select "Windows XP SP3"
  • From there when you run the game and get to the main menu you need to hit a key combination such as Shift+Enter or someting like that. Alt+F4 is not the combination and only hit that if you are rage quitting. Posted Image
MechCommander 2:
  • Run the installer and install it like you normally would.
  • Perform the exact same steps as mentioned for MCG to enable compatibility mode. If you don't the game will glitch horribly right from the start.
  • Next step while you are in the MC2 direcotry is to delete BADCARD and VIDCARD files. They are located in the root of the game direcoty and are easily found sense they are seen as Microsoft Excel files (if you have Microsoft Office installed on your system). These files were 6 months out of date before the game was even released and will cause confilcts with modern video cards.
  • Next is lowering the FPS, this can be done by enabling every kind of shadow and high detail option you can find. Also, there is an option on the first tab about your mouse, uncheck that and apply all changes. When you reload the game you will actually be able to see your mouse. Posted Image
  • After that you should be able to play just normally, if you see a DirectX 8 error pop up it's normally a one time deal. I have DrectX 11 installed on my system and it works just fine for me.
I hope I saved you guys a few hours of searching google for some quick and easy fixes. Posted Image

Quick Edit: I forgot to mention the reason as to why you have to copy the CD files over to your HDD. Windows 7 officially discontinued the support of 16-bit and lower applications, so that will cause the installer to error out unless you install it on a VM (Virutal Machine) which take additional resources and still have a chance of techincal problems. The only way around this that I found was to use Compatibiltiy Mode.

I love you :)

It was deleting the badcard and vidcard files that finally allowed me to play this game.

#74 Domoneky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

I really want to play MC2 again so a quick question before I attempt this...I plan to follow instructions from earlier posts and get the wolfman mod but will this work on a Windows 8 on my desktop? I prefer not to fiddle with it too much in case I break/loose data from switch OS

#75 I3lackI2ogue

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:35 AM

if you are having trouble getting the game to run, right click your shortcut, and at the end of the target line type in /gosnojoystick

thats what made it work for me.

#76 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

I Have MCGold and MC2, MCGold is nice and I like MC2 Also, Although I have the source code one with no videos. Is the Omnitech one that's "Better" Truly freeware, a Pirate or what?

#77 CoolLew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 224 posts
  • LocationInnersphere, Chaos March, Terra, South Carolina

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:01 AM

Deleting those two files got my single player game working great, thanks... now I only wish I could figure out how to keep Multiplayer from crashing every time I try to host a LAN game...

I am trying to get mine to work too...

#78 Savage Hero

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostJames Pryde IIC, on 03 January 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

I have done what the post says too, however when I click on the EXE to Launch the game, and window pops up (as in its loading the game) and then disappears ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers

I get the same thing even with MCO. I'm every sad second computer that this has happen to me. Works on my friends computers which adds to my suffering.

#79 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

Here is a little bit of tech support for newer computers.

MechCommander Gold:
  • When you attempt to install the game it runs a 16-bit installer. This game will run with Windows 7 and Windows XP easily, however, if you are running the 64-bit editions of these systems you need to be aware that the graphics will bug and cause the game to crash.
  • For Windows Vista/7 the tweak is simpler than you would think. First, to install the game copy all files from the CD into the desired directory. ex: C:\Users\%Username%\Documents\MCG\
  • Then you need to enable compatibility mode for WIndows XP by right clicking the game executable and clicking on properties. Check the "Run in Compatibility" mode box and in the drop down menu select "Windows XP SP3"
  • From there when you run the game and get to the main menu you need to hit a key combination such as Shift+Enter or someting like that. Alt+F4 is not the combination and only hit that if you are rage quitting. Posted Image
MechCommander 2:
  • Perform the exact same steps as mentioned for MCG to enable compatibility mode. If you don't the game will glitch horribly right from the start.
  • Next step while you are in the MC2 direcotry is to delete BADCARD and VIDCARD files. They are located in the root of the game direcoty and are easily found sense they are seen as Microsoft Excel files (if you have Microsoft Office installed on your system). These files were 6 months out of date before the game was even released and will cause confilcts with modern video cards.
  • Next is lowering the FPS, this can be done by enabling every kind of shadow and high detail option you can find. Also, there is an option on the first tab about your mouse, uncheck that and apply all changes. When you reload the game you will actually be able to see your mouse. Posted Image
  • After that you should be able to play just normally, if you see a DirectX 8 error pop up it's normally a one time deal. I have DrectX 11 installed on my system and it works just fine for me.
I hope I saved you guys a few hours of searching google for some quick and easy fixes. Posted Image

Quick Edit: I forgot to mention the reason as to why you have to copy the CD files over to your HDD. Windows 7 officially discontinued the support of 16-bit and lower applications, so that will cause the installer to error out unless you install it on a VM (Virutal Machine) which take additional resources and still have a chance of techincal problems. The only way around this that I found was to use Compatibiltiy Mode.

I have had it working with this method. However, I cannot patch the 1.8 patch on it and it always crashes at like Mi4.4 I think it is...where you first meet Lokis and Thors. Real pita mission to lol.

#80 mastabomba

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

MechCommander 2:
  • Next is lowering the FPS, this can be done by enabling every kind of shadow and high detail option you can find. Also, there is an option on the first tab about your mouse, uncheck that and apply all changes. When you reload the game you will actually be able to see your mouse. :D
I hope I saved you guys a few hours of searching google for some quick and easy fixes. :P

after installed it on win 7 64-bit, I
1- copied CD contents to a new folder named mc2
2- set MC2REL.EXE & SETUP.EXE to Win XP SP3 compatibility & applied
3- removed BADCARD & VIDCARD file from folder mc2

It still says "please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application"

"CD" is actually an ISO mounted with daemon tools lite.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users